Nirbhay Cruise Missile Development

Prashant12

Country flag
Extension for Nirbhay, panel to identify flaws

BHUBANESWAR: India’s own cruise missile project Nirbhay has got an extension of 18 months amid speculations over the weapon system’s operational capabilities. Launched in 2004, the projected date of completion for the prestigious project was December 31 last.

At a recent review meeting, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar gave green signal for the extension. Ministry of Defence sources said the Nirbhay team has been asked to deliver their best by June, 2018.

Under developmental trial since 2013, the missile is yet to perform as per the expectations. Of four tests in as many years, the indigenously developed weapon had failed three times though it could cover the intended range once in 2014.

Meanwhile, an independent technical committee has been formed to identify faults in the system that led to failure of the missile during its fourth trial on December 21.

The probe committee led by founder director of ISRO Inertial Systems Unit Dr Nagarajan Vedachalam will not only ascertain the faults but also recommend possible measures to make the system robust.

Like in its maiden trial and third test, the missile had veered off the trajectory minutes after take off during the last launch and the mission had to be aborted mid-air.

An official associated with the project, however, informed that the blame game between two laboratories of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) cost the project more than the faults in the system.

While Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), which has designed the missile, has been blaming Research Centre Imarat (RCI) for supplying defective hardware, the latter points fingers at ADE-developed software for recurring failure of the missile.

‘’The probe committee will ascertain which is defective, the software or hardware. It may also inspect metallurgical deficiencies,’’ the sources said.

Having a strike range of around 1,000 km, Nirbhay is first homegrown subsonic cruise missile project. According to DRDO, the missile can challenge weapons of its class.

Nirbhay blasts off like a rocket and unlike a missile, it turns into a vehicle akin an aircraft. Flying at tree-top level, it can deceive enemy radars making it difficult to be detected. Unlike other ballistic missiles, this cruise missile has wings and distinct tail fins. After reaching near the target area, it can hover around, hitting at its will from any direction.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...-nirbhay-panel-to-identify-flaws-1557012.html

Hari Sud

Country flag
I would honestly recommend a few heads of the blame game roll. Blame game is the norm in DRDO for all delays and failed projects. The project has to begin again after heads of the department are removed and replaced. That committee formed, is only identifying possible failure scenarios but not undertaking the work. The work is still to be done at the section and department level. That critical mass at the actual work level has to be renewed and replaced. If the defects are minor, then new thinking will fix the problem sooner than later.

This action will be a morale booster for an honest worker.

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag
I would honestly recommend a few heads of the blame game roll. Blame game is the norm in DRDO for all delays and failed projects. The project has to begin again after heads of the department are removed and replaced. That committee formed, is only identifying possible failure scenarios but not undertaking the work. The work is still to be done at the section and department level. That critical mass at the actual work level has to be renewed and replaced. If the defects are minor, then new thinking will fix the problem sooner than later.

Well said.This "chalta hai" is an attitude of DRDO which even PM reprimanded at the beginning of the term.

I personally know few such people,one of whom is at senior level but don't care for their work,they are just waiting for 5 pm even take a nap in afternoon.And they are proud of it.They boast that they have very less work and endless facilities.

God bless them.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Immanuel

Country flag
Nirbhay is the first missile developed in Bangalore, I.e not Hyderabad, therefore the team is also not as experienced, get it made in the DRDO labs in Hyd and the problem will be solved. Bangalore is good for aircraft tech but missile tech is new. Missile development needs a different line of thinking and approach to problem solving.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Nirbhay is the first missile developed in Bangalore, I.e not Hyderabad, therefore the team is also not as experienced, get it made in the DRDO labs in Hyd and the problem will be solved. Bangalore is good for aircraft tech but missile tech is new. Missile development needs a different line of thinking and approach to problem solving.
Yeah they should focus in missiles at Hyderabad...................

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

whosoever wanted test, even when missile had problem, should go and inquiry should be ordered for his intentions.

charlie

Country flag
well only the integration and testing is done in bangalore, still all the R&D will churn out from their perspective labs.

Immanuel

Country flag
well only the integration and testing is done in bangalore, still all the R&D will churn out from their perspective labs.
Not true, Nirbhay was mostly, if not entirely developed in Bangalore

charlie

Country flag
Not true, Nirbhay was mostly, if not entirely developed in Bangalore
so you mean to say things like MEMS Gyro, pressure sensors and acceleration sensors were all developed in Bangalore and not the usual lab where it should come from Research centre Imarat which is in Hyderabad ?

Last edited:

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
Off topic but i believe India and Russia have decided to increase the range of Brahmos?What is the new expected range?

Immanuel

Country flag
so you mean to say things like MEMS Gyro, pressure sensors and acceleration sensors were all developed in Bangalore and not the usual lab where it should come from Research centre Imarat which is in Hyderabad ?
From what I know majority of the work was done in Bangalore and Pune, RCI indeed built the sensors but it's the software that is not reliable, it's quite clear.

charlie

Country flag
From what I know majority of the work was done in Bangalore and Pune, RCI indeed built the sensors but it's the software that is not reliable, it's quite clear.
that's what I said integration and testing was done is Bangalore.

Well let's now jump in at a decision saying who's fault it is, lets wait for the probe committee report led by founder director of ISRO Inertial Systems Unit Dr Nagarajan Vedachalam only then we will know if it was the sensors or the software.

@gpawar just posted this link http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...-nirbhay-panel-to-identify-flaws-1557012.html

If it was done according to the company I work for then RCI would have sent a guy to Bangalore who would be involved with interrogation and testing team and see through till the product passes the test.

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag

Well let's now jump in at a decision saying who's fault it is, lets wait for the probe committee report led by founder director of ISRO Inertial Systems Unit Dr Nagarajan Vedachalam only then we will know if it was the sensors or the software.

@gpawar just posted this link http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...-nirbhay-panel-to-identify-flaws-1557012.html

If it was done according to the company I work for then RCI would have sent a guy to Bangalore who would be involved with interrogation and testing team and see through till the product passes the test.
In my opinion Bangalore and Hyderabad should come down together in this project. Nirbhay is a CM unlike Agni series. So its more of an aircraft then a conventional missile.
Moreover Nirbhay is based on 'Lakshya' as per one person who was there in the planning stage. So shifting the whole system to Hyderabad is not going to solve the issue. Issue would be rectified if all the stake holders do come together.
It should be taken up part by part instead of module by module.

Immanuel

Country flag

I am sure RCI sent more than just a guy for integration and testing team but RCI isn't responsible for millions of lines of code, ADE needs to have better measures to ensure code reliability. No need for blame game indeed but some centers are just better suited for some activities. Hyderabad missile complex needs to be expanded.

Immanuel

Country flag
In my opinion Bangalore and Hyderabad should come down together in this project. Nirbhay is a CM unlike Agni series. So its more of an aircraft then a conventional missile.
Moreover Nirbhay is based on 'Lakshya' as per one person who was there in the planning stage. So shifting the whole system to Hyderabad is not going to solve the issue. Issue would be rectified if all the stake holders do come together.
It should be taken up part by part instead of module by module.
There is no need to shift anything, just have better day to day management, with mixed teams. Also have more experienced teams at critical phases of integration and system testing. Nirbhay being based on Lakshya is entirely incorrect, there is nothing even remotely similar. Sure, they were looking at Lakshya for some ideas initially but finally went with a clean chart design.

Taking it apart part by part at this phase is not an option, this is also where expert teams from Hyd need to be brought in for some deep dive into code.

Chinmoy

Country flag
There is no need to shift anything, just have better day to day management, with mixed teams. Also have more experienced teams at critical phases of integration and system testing. Nirbhay being based on Lakshya is entirely incorrect, there is nothing even remotely similar. Sure, they were looking at Lakshya for some ideas initially but finally went with a clean chart design.

Taking it apart part by part at this phase is not an option, this is also where expert teams from Hyd need to be brought in for some deep dive into code.
That's what I am saying. No need to shift anything from Bangalore to Hyderabad and vice versa. Its all about making all the stake holders sit together and get a hold of the situation.
BTW regarding the concept of Nirbhay based on Lakhsya, its been said by someone who was associated with the program when it has been launched.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
The way we are talking about problems at very basic organization level, when couple of years back it was only about software, it makes me more worried about the future of this platform.

Corruption Corruption Corruption nothing other than corruption I can see leading to this debacle.

Now government has given them time till June 2018, I wonder which new Juggaad they will come back with to stay relevant after under performing.

Please don't tell me that India is not capable to develop long range subsonic Cruise missile.

This fucking project need a detailed investigation before more money is allotted to the same team.

Immanuel

Country flag
But it is also quite naive to label it just a 'long range subsonic cruise missile' from the word go it was required to beat some world class needs, also it should be able to deploy upto 24 types of warheads any of them which are next gen advanced warheads that have built in smart sub munitions. Each warhead type is of a different weight class and thus allows for a different range.

The missile comes standard with LOBL/LOAL, so when fired it doesn't need to have a specific target, it needs to fly into a potential target region, knowing the loiter time, the warhead it carries and range it has to play taking into account fuel. It then needs to be completely programmable i.e adding of or removing of additional of waypoints, should have provision to put it into a holding pattern with a slower speed. A target should be assignable from whatever platform it is fired from whether a ship, sub or an MKI and also ground based controllers, awacs and long range UAVs. The missile should also have the ability to be guided by awacs, MKI and other platforms in circumstances where using it's Active radar seeker would compromise it's stealth factor. It needs to do all this while flying nap of the earth just about 10 m above surface.

Plenty to accomplish.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles