New Russian single engine fighter jet

Vamsi

Country flag
Have I ever mentioned that we should cancel our MWF program and invest in a foreign fighter ?

What I had always mentioned is that this Sukhoi LFS can be acquired under the MRCA tender. Besides Amca and MWF , we have the 114 MRCA competition.

Everyone worth his salt here in this forum know that Amca is a decade away. And that too if I am being optimistic.

Instead of frittering away our resources on a 4++ gen jet, it would make sense instead to focus on a 5th gen program . And even if we buy PAK-FA aka Su-57 , it won't affect the Amca program since these are two distict jets in different weight categories.

What use is buying Rafale F4 or JAS-39E as part of the 114 MRCA when we could have bought 5th gen acs.

Either we cancel the MRCA contest and buy mk2 instead or we must buy a 5th gen design now. It can be the F-35 also.
I understand that u never meant that we should cancel MWF and go for that Russian chick, but the problem is, if we start importing it ,then it's like inviting a vampire in to your house, then they will make sure MWF & AMCA is dead. That's it, simple and as far as MMRCA circus is concerned it's not gonna happen any time soon.

omaebakabaka

The Russian defence industry cannot survive without its prime customer India and China.
and both of them are not buying Russian products.
They will survive fine....30 to 50b dollars is not a big deal for them. For Russia defence investments are sovereign guarantee of their existence and they have always invested in self sufficiency from way back.

panzerfeist1

Country flag
The Russian defence industry cannot survive without its prime customer India and China.
and both of them are not buying Russian products.
Perhaps the Russian proposition to the Indians -" you can keep building cannon fodder for the Chinese or take a 3 generation leap with aircraft design by licensing this beauty. "

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Perhaps the Russian proposition to the Indians -" you can keep building cannon fodder for the Chinese or take a 3 generation leap with aircraft design by licensing this beauty. "
Which is cannon fodder mate? Most of the so called cannon fodder is russian planes in service with IAF not having the AA capability of US aa.missiles supplied to pakistan.that's the reason we went to develop ASTRA

ShukantC

Country flag
honestly this is just another half baked Russian product that is not even a part of the Russian State Budget. It is a project by Sukhoi itself trying to garner export orders just like what Shenyang tried to do with JC 31.

Now if we look at what we know about the features of this plane ie 18 tons category with the izdeliye 30 engine with a 107kn dry thrust and 171kn wet thrust. If we take the example of the F 35 which is 30 ton class fighter with 190 kn class engine.

This Sukhoi aircraft is just stupidly overpowered which directly implies it's range will be limited and the fact this is a single engine Russian fighter its reliability is uncertain as the engine itself will take a few more years to mature. The F 35 which even the Americans haven't been able to bring it online properly even after 20 years and billions of dollars poured into it, this plane appears to be a dud.

This is not a threat to Indian programs because:-

This aircraft will not fulfill the purpose for which the LCA mk1 and mk2 are being created ie low cost, low maintenance, high sortie fighter. So no threat there.

In case of the AMCA the GE engine for mk1 and the 110 kn engine for the mk2 variant are more than enough to provide a sufficient thrust to weight ratio and also reliability and frankly the amount that has already been invested in it, it will be stupidity to abandon the program and go for a design that may not be adopted by the state themselves. So no threat there.

The MRCA contract which itself should be scrapped for 2 more squadrons of Rafale also has no room for this if this is not a flyable product at the moment.

This is just my 2 cents at the topic, I'm no defence expert but just a citizen fascinated with his country's security apparatus....

Neptune

Country flag
honestly this is just another half baked Russian product that is not even a part of the Russian State Budget. It is a project by Sukhoi itself trying to garner export orders just like what Shenyang tried to do with JC 31.

Now if we look at what we know about the features of this plane ie 18 tons category with the izdeliye 30 engine with a 107kn dry thrust and 171kn wet thrust. If we take the example of the F 35 which is 30 ton class fighter with 190 kn class engine.

This Sukhoi aircraft is just stupidly overpowered which directly implies it's range will be limited and the fact this is a single engine Russian fighter its reliability is uncertain as the engine itself will take a few more years to mature. The F 35 which even the Americans haven't been able to bring it online properly even after 20 years and billions of dollars poured into it, this plane appears to be a dud.

This is not a threat to Indian programs because:-

This aircraft will not fulfill the purpose for which the LCA mk1 and mk2 are being created ie low cost, low maintenance, high sortie fighter. So no threat there.

In case of the AMCA the GE engine for mk1 and the 110 kn engine for the mk2 variant are more than enough to provide a sufficient thrust to weight ratio and also reliability and frankly the amount that has already been invested in it, it will be stupidity to abandon the program and go for a design that may not be adopted by the state themselves. So no threat there.

The MRCA contract which itself should be scrapped for 2 more squadrons of Rafale also has no room for this if this is not a flyable product at the moment.

This is just my 2 cents at the topic, I'm no defence expert but just a citizen fascinated with his country's security apparatus....

This is ignorant and I’m not trying to be rude by saying that (I’m being nice with my word choices) Let’s look at the following sentence:

“This Sukhoi aircraft is just stupidly stupidly overpowered which directly implies it's range will be limited

Range has nothing to do with power. The biggest factors in any aircraft’s range is fuel capacity, drag and engine efficiency. The goal is always more power, because more power means higher T/W ratio, acceleration, rate of climb, and maneuverability. More powerful engines also allows for more avionics, and more power for those avionics which equals better capabilities.

I’m almost curious how you deduced the cost and maintenance of this aircraft. If anything this should be, in theory, an affordable aircraft if enough are built. Almost like a modern day F-16 but more capable and ‘stealthy’. A basic and rational way to look at it is: a single engine is cheaper to purchase then two engines, operating a single engine aircraft is also more economical; both in terms of maintaining and fuel economy. Then comes the size of the aircraft, smaller aircraft use less raw materials, it also takes less time to machine parts or produce carbon infused parts, less time means less cost and quicker production.

There is also a very interesting thing about this aircraft, it appears to lack horizontal stabilizers. This reduces its RCS, weight and cost. RCS is reduced because additional surface that create corner reflectors are eliminated. Now with weight, omitting horizontal stabilizers reduces weight because engineers eliminated a control surface and all that comes with it: actuators, wires, motors and hydraulics that move those surfaces. Cost is saved because you simply use less parts. (less parts, less maintenance, less parts less acquisition cost). A thing to note with TVC engines there is little need for horizontal stabilizers since a variable geometry nozzle can give similar or better pitch authority and aid in yaw.

ladder

Country flag
This is ignorant and I’m not trying to be rude by saying that (I’m being nice with my word choices) Let’s look at the following sentence:

“This Sukhoi aircraft is just stupidly stupidly overpowered which directly implies it's range will be limited

Range has nothing to do with power. The biggest factors in any aircraft’s range is fuel capacity, drag and engine efficiency. The goal is always more power, because more power means higher T/W ratio, acceleration, rate of climb, and maneuverability. More powerful engines also allows for more avionics, and more power for those avionics which equals better capabilities.

I’m almost curious how you deduced the cost and maintenance of this aircraft. If anything this should be, in theory, an affordable aircraft if enough are built. Almost like a modern day F-16 but more capable and ‘stealthy’. A basic and rational way to look at it is: a single engine is cheaper to purchase then two engines, operating a single engine aircraft is also more economical; both in terms of maintaining and fuel economy. Then comes the size of the aircraft, smaller aircraft use less raw materials, it also takes less time to machine parts or produce carbon infused parts, less time means less cost and quicker production.

There is also a very interesting thing about this aircraft, it appears to lack horizontal stabilizers. This reduces its RCS, weight and cost. RCS is reduced because additional surface that create corner reflectors are eliminated. Now with weight, omitting horizontal stabilizers reduces weight because engineers eliminated a control surface and all that comes with it: actuators, wires, motors and hydraulics that move those surfaces. Cost is saved because you simply use less parts. (less parts, less maintenance, less parts less acquisition cost). A thing to note with TVC engines there is little need for horizontal stabilizers since a variable geometry nozzle can give similar or better pitch authority and aid in yaw.
It should be considered that the aircraft is of 18T class. And if that is known and fixed, I can't say that the poster's comment about range is stupid.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles