New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

Which Contender`s Rifle has more chances of winning than others?

• Total voters

Vinod DX9

Country flag
OFB+Punj...that's max chance
actually,
ToT to OFB
and OFB will give liscense to build to PL....

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
OFB+Punj...that's max chance
actually,
ToT to OFB
and OFB will give liscense to build to PL....
Me bought shares of Punj Lloyd.
Me wants to see only OFB 7.62X51 and INSAS 1C inducted. But then Punj Lloyd price would not rise. Me caught in catch 22. Me eternally sad. :frown:

I hope OFB 7.62X51 gets selected though. It will be great if OFB produces the rifle themselves and also give license to Punj Lloyd for parallel production. Gets the rifle inducted faster and we might get to see a race between a DPSU and a private company, which might incentivize OFB to improve its standards. :india2:
And the share prices will go up, so there is that too.:tongue:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
There was a news couple of years ago that Barrel was made from the metallurgy of bofors gun. In my opinion we should reverse manufacture these guns.

rishivashista13

Country flag
MOD blacklisted IMI till 2022. What that mean, and how it will effect the new rifles procurement ?
If it is blacklisted how Tavor 7 and ACE are still in race?

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

darshan978

Darth Vader
Country flag
off topic:why these co. are also restricted partly??? whats reason???

Rolls Royce, Tatra truck manufacturer (Czech Republic) and Israeli firms Rafael and Israeli Aerospace Industries (IAI)

rkhanna

Country flag
Quick question to gurus. Any idea why the new Bren 805 didn't come out on top? It's been adopted by a number of SF units in the 762 avatar including GIGN to replace the HK416 they have. Seen extensive combat in Astan as well

hammer head

Country flag
Me bought shares of Punj Lloyd.
Me wants to see only OFB 7.62X51 and INSAS 1C inducted. But then Punj Lloyd price would not rise. Me caught in catch 22. Me eternally sad. :frown:

I hope OFB 7.62X51 gets selected though. It will be great if OFB produces the rifle themselves and also give license to Punj Lloyd for parallel production. Gets the rifle inducted faster and we might get to see a race between a DPSU and a private company, which might incentivize OFB to improve its standards. :india2:
And the share prices will go up, so there is that too.:tongue:
I wonder if the new gun will used by my Son/Daughter ( who are yet to be born), just skeptical knowing our Hindustani speed of work.

devhensh

MOD blacklisted IMI till 2022. What that mean, and how it will effect the new rifles procurement ?
If it is blacklisted how Tavor 7 and ACE are still in race?

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
Whatever related news i have read, names IMI Israel as the blacklisted company.

But both Tavor 7 and Galil ACE come from IWI Israel, which is Technically a diffrent company. IWI was once a part of IMI but is a diffrent company now ...But i can't say for sure if this will affect the chances of these two platforms.....

I will leave it to defence experts to comment...as this is getting very confusing !!! Like, how did the strong news of these two platforms being shotlisted originate in first place ?

devhensh

Quick question to gurus. Any idea why the new Bren 805 didn't come out on top? It's been adopted by a number of SF units in the 762 avatar including GIGN to replace the HK416 they have. Seen extensive combat in Astan as well
Good question.....The answer to this i think, is because it doesn't come in 7.62x51mm caliber......which the caliber Indian Army wants the new rifles to be in...

CZ Bren 805 was heavily modified and it's the new
Bren 806 (in 5.56x45) which was adopted by Czech republic. The same Bren 806 (in 7.62x39) was adopted by French GIGN(9 inch barrel).....

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/cz_806.htm

But if price is not a consideration, FN SCAR H is the best of the best our Army can adopts
....This is the lightest (3.58 Kg), most advanced and most tested BATTLE RIFLE (not Assault rifle or Designated Marksman rifle) available today; as per me...It's a very modular and versatile platform, which can be easily modified for diffrent calibers and purposes too...Most experts agree that this is the lightest recoiling 7.62x51mm rifle too....
Look how fast handling it is for both close in and far out scenarios !

WiseMan

Country flag
Good question.....The answer to this i think, is because it doesn't come in 7.62x51mm caliber......which the caliber Indian Army wants the new rifles to be in...

CZ Bren 805 was heavily modified and it's the new
Bren 806 (in 5.56x45) which was adopted by Czech republic. The same Bren 806 (in 7.62x39) was adopted by French GIGN(9 inch barrel).....

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/cz_806.htm

But if price is not a consideration, FN SCAR H is the best of the best our Army can adopts
....This is the lightest (3.58 Kg), most advanced and most tested BATTLE RIFLE (not Assault rifle or Designated Marksman rifle) available today; as per me...It's a very modular and versatile platform, which can be easily modified for diffrent calibers and purposes too...Most experts agree that this is the lightest recoiling 7.62x51mm rifle too....
Look how fast handling it is for both close in and far out scenarios !
CZ Bren variant in 7.62x39mm was selected as winner by Pakistan for its next battle rifle. May not work well with India.
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/pakistan-is-about-to-buy-a-half-million-new-rifles-ae04277c7b3b

Kchontha

Country flag
If you are buying a foreign made battle rifle buy any tried and tested one in the harsh indian conditions, last time all the fancy foreign guns failed in the Indian condition when those were trialed. Let's Try Not To Be A Guineapig. These fancy foriegn toys are not made specifically for Harsh Indian Conditions.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
If you are buying a foreign made battle rifle buy any tried and tested one in the harsh indian conditions, last time all the fancy foreign guns failed in the Indian condition when those were trialed. Let's Try Not To Be A Guineapig. These fancy foriegn toys are not made specifically for Harsh Indian Conditions.
They need money and this is best way. Lets close this and move forward. If you want to make money, buy shares. Fighting elections are not cheap.
All are same, let defence of nation not suffer.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
FN guys made a subcompact carbine called fn scar-sc 5.56 caliber with non-reciprocating charging handle .
Hope they do it same to scar-h and enter into competition for IA.

Sent from my AO5510 using Tapatalk

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
FN guys made a subcompact carbine called fn scar-sc 5.56 caliber with non-reciprocating charging handle .
Hope they do it same to scar-h and enter into competition for IA.

I think 556 is out of question for IA. Going by the RFI released last month. It’s all going to be 762 Nato from now on.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
I think 556 is out of question for IA. Going by the RFI released last month. It’s all going to be 762 Nato from now on.
For carbine they will go with 556.

devhensh

I think this rifle procurement will be done for a mix of calibers as below :

7.62x51mm (Battle Rifle)--- A fixed percentage (say 25 %) of the rifles in this caliber will be procured from International market. This rifle will be issued to frontline Infantry and Special forces, deployed on LC, LAC and in general mountains and deserts. This will be a foreign buy.

5.56x45 and some 7.62x39(for RR) or so called Carbine-
Indian designed and built rifles will be procured to satisfy this requirement. (most probably INSAS 1c and Ghatak)..For urban combat and issued to non frontline troops..

I see no advantage in procuring a 5.56mm rifle from a foreign vendor...A rifle line like INSAS 1c / Excalibur is equally good or maybe even better than any foreign one(because it has been adapted to Indian conditions and all bugs have been removed over years).

7.62x51mm rifle is a diffrent case.....This is same world wide...Take example of FN SCAR ....US special forces adapted SCAR H and use it extensively...But they rejected SCAR 16 (5.56x45), saying that it doesn't offer any significant benefit over the M4 rifle already in service
.....Makes complete sense to me .......

Disclaimer : This is all my analysis and i may be completely wrong :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles