New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

Which Contender`s Rifle has more chances of winning than others?

• Total voters

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Based on tried and tested ak47.
Then why are we not buying AK-47 or even better why not use Multi Caliber Individual Weapon System which is also a Kalashnikov derivatives.
The whole affair seems fishy to me.

sorcerer

Country flag
India seals deal with Russia to procure AK-103 rifles – Mysuru Today

“A deal has been finalised with Russia for direct purchase of a batch of AK-103 series of assault rifles,” one of the persons cited above said without specifying the number of rifles or the cost of procurement.

There is no official announcement on the deal yet. The people said the rifles are being procured under the emergency financial powers granted to the three services to make urgent purchases.

abingdonboy

Country flag
India seals deal with Russia to procure AK-103 rifles – Mysuru Today

“A deal has been finalised with Russia for direct purchase of a batch of AK-103 series of assault rifles,” one of the persons cited above said without specifying the number of rifles or the cost of procurement.

There is no official announcement on the deal yet. The people said the rifles are being procured under the emergency financial powers granted to the three services to make urgent purchases.

103?

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Would anyone care to explain difference between ak 203 and arsenal sam7r? Both seems identical except for railing onnthe al 203.
  • AK 203 has a stamped receiver while Arsenal is milled.
  • AK 203 is Russian while Arsenal is Bulgarian
  • AK 203 has a more ergonomic grip.
  • Arsenal has a 90* gas block slant while AK 203 has a 45* angle.
  • Muzzle devices on both rifles are different.
  • Arsenal uses a clamp and hinge mechanism extending all the way to the upper handguard.
  • AK 203 uses a lever and hinge mechanism that only extends till the traditional iron sights on an AKM.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Umm I know I may be too late, but can anyone explain to me if the AK-203 we are getting from Russia is any good?

Like how does it compare to our current INSAS, and since we are moving from INSAS's 5.56X45 to 7.62X39 of AK, how will it affect our infantry engagement?
For example, I guess in a jungle/alpine environment, encounters are short-range, but for plains/deserts, it will be a much longer distance.

And how does it compare to, let's say Chinese standard-issue AR QBZ-95 which uses a hybrid round, and old Pakistani G3 which uses the same round as of SLR/Sig.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Umm I know I may be too late, but can anyone explain to me if the AK-203 we are getting from Russia is any good?

Like how does it compare to our current INSAS, and since we are moving from INSAS's 5.56X45 to 7.62X39 of AK, how will it affect our infantry engagement?
For example, I guess in a jungle/alpine environment, encounters are short-range, but for plains/deserts, it will be a much longer distance.

And how does it compare to, let's say Chinese standard-issue AR QBZ-95 which uses a hybrid round, and old Pakistani G3 which uses the same round as of SLR/Sig.
I'm nowhere near an expert but from a common man's perspective.
Ak 203 procurement defeats the whole purpose of modern warfare.
Modularity is the key of any modern gun and AK platform isn't it's best example.

A decent gun can be made into formidable by adding accesories to it such as scope, grip etc. AR platform are the best as it.

AK on the other hand has its usual qualities like reliability and toughness. This too is in doubt since OFB will be manufacturing it

AK is the grunts gun, I don't think specialized groups like Ghatak or SF will use them as their mainstay.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
I'm nowhere near an expert but from a common man's perspective.
Ak 203 procurement defeats the whole purpose of modern warfare.
Modularity is the key of any modern gun and AK platform isn't it's best example.

A decent gun can be made into formidable by adding accesories to it such as scope, grip etc. AR platform are the best as it.

AK on the other hand has its usual qualities like reliability and toughness. This too is in doubt since OFB will be manufacturing it

AK is the grunts gun, I don't think specialized groups like Ghatak or SF will use them as their mainstay.
? Ak-203 has pitcanny rails on both the upper receiver and the lower handguard, we can mount scopes/foregrips as required, can't we?
Even for Sigs we bought the vanilla version and we are mounting scopes/handguards as required.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
? Ak-203 has pitcanny rails on both the upper receiver and the lower handguard, we can mount scopes/foregrips as required, can't we?
Even for Sigs we bought the vanilla version and we are mounting scopes/handguards as required.
More to do with the caliber than the platform

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
No as much as AR platform.
Adjustable buttstock. Side Rail, Full length Rail, Changeable handguard, wide array of accesories, AR style mag.

The Shrike

Country flag
[I think i may have said this before] I was looking for a graphic I has seen a few years ago on the interwebs comparing the kit of average US army solider vs PLA, did not find it but the below 2 images give the idea. An average "burger muncher" wears around $17K worth of kit (including the protective gear, night vision, radios etc.), the AR is only around 5% of the cost. Compared to the average PLA bat muncher who has equipment of less than 10% of that (I'm guessing we are also in same category) - and the AR makes up about 50% of the cost. IMO this AK-103 vs AK-203 is time pass discussion only for gun enthusiasts, there is a whole bunch of kit and capability we have failed equip our jawans that should be more of a focus.
US_SOLDIER.jpeg

pla-soldier.jpeg

Nebula

Country flag
Hi All

For the emergency procurement of 70000 AR. is it original AK203, Indian AK203 or AK103.
News reports are conflicting. Cant confirm which is true.

mikhail

Country flag
As
Hi All

For the emergency procurement of 70000 AR. is it original AK203, Indian AK203 or AK103.
News reports are conflicting. Cant confirm which is true.
Afaik,this order was placed by the I.A.F. for equipping airmen in front bases etc.I don't know why they would need 70k AK-103 rifles to equip a few thousand airmen.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles