Nag anti-tank Missile

bose

Country flag
What is better than 40 yr old BMP designs? I doubt India wants a wheeled carrier. :p
to a common man like me with no military background, it does not look out of a 21st century ... may be I am wrong...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
BMP-2 are made licensed in India, No other carrier are made except T-72 chassis..

So you have BMP-2 everywhere on DRDO projects and army except coz it operate and have spares though BMP have issues with Ground pressure..

Are there not better carrier for Nag than the one BMP - II we have chosen ??

Abhi9

Country flag
I think they have lowered the Missile launchers as per Army requirement, also i think i they have added a stabilized sight(Gimbal payload) for the commander to scout for targets. Making it a Hunter-killer platform..:thumb:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
why can't arjun mbt's hull be used as a platform for nag since enemy rpg and anti tank team can very well target namica carriers,wherin arjun's hull provides much better protection.

Bhadra

Country flag
why can't arjun mbt's hull be used as a platform for nag since enemy rpg and anti tank team can very well target namica carriers,wherin arjun's hull provides much better protection.
Using Tanks as dedicated missile carriers ?? It would be much better to use those as tanks...

Very funny postulation not knowing what is what !! Tanks carry missiles but tanks are tanks and not missile carriers. There has to be combination of kinetic and chemical attacks to defeat a modern tank. If tanks carry only missiles who will carry guns... ??

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
NAG carrier must need to be small with same mobility of an MBT, to keep up with Mech forces..

It have to be compact and Air-transportable in Numbers ( N.E & J&k ), NAG tank killer will be behind to engage enemy from long range..

One can apply addon armour protection or ERA tiles..

============================

Carriers like >>

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Same reason IA doesn't want more Arjuns. It's too heavy for the transportation infrastructure.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Actually in that sense no MBT is transportable..

Its null to say for argument winning sake to say just Arjun..

Same reason IA doesn't want more Arjuns. It's too heavy for the transportation infrastructure.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Actually in that sense no MBT is transportable..

Its null to say for argument winning sake to say just Arjun..
It is null to avoid it since it is a matter of logistics. What good is armour if you can't get it to the battle? T-90s are transportable because they meet the weight limits of India's transportation network. A Nag carrier on that chassis would be a better option. If it is good enough for the BMPT...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
You didnt get my point ?

Arjun is both road and train transportable, The weight issue MOD people are talking about is actually apply to T-72M1 even T-90S, The Bridges cannot take more than 40tons at best, In that sense T-90S/T-72M1 both fall same as Arjun MK-1, But People dont mention T-90S/72M1 just Arjun MK-1, Got it now ?

In Cities or well devlped Areas, Bridges can take more than 100 tons..

======================================================

Are you saying NAG should be mounted on T-72/55 ? That would increase weight..

It is null to avoid it since it is a matter of logistics. What good is armour if you can't get it to the battle? T-90s are transportable because they meet the weight limits of India's transportation network. A Nag carrier on that chassis would be a better option. If it is good enough for the BMPT...

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
air transportablility of mbt is not a very feasile cost effective option because even the t-90 weighing close to 47 tons can be carried only by india's heaviest transport plane(c-17 with a max payload of 75 tons) and that to just1 at a time.that's spending crores of money on aviation fuel just to transport 1 mbt to battlefied.nag can be carried by arjun's hull so that 1 namica can carry more than a paltry 12 nag missile(in the bmp2 based version).also it will provide much better protection against rpg and atgm's.also since the range of current nag is 4 km it should operate very close to forward edge of battle space where it can face enemy anti tank rounds against which the current bmp2 armour is completely useless.also since the army is already using a t-72 bassed platform for akash sam it can apply to same to namica.and just for clarification indin army is not buying arjun in large no. even after the arjun beat the shit out of t-90 and t-72 and it having a low ground pressure than t-series tanks can be attributed to corruption where the officers in army's tank directorate and in bureaucrats is on russian payroll and the ordinary jawan has to suffer.

Bhadra

Country flag
When ever these DREDOs talk about 30 years project Nag I am reminded of of a few lines of a poem by the national poet Ramdhari Singh Dinakar :

Kshama shobhti us bhujang ko
Jiske paas garal hai
Uska kya jo dantheen
Vishrahit vineet saral hai

क्षमा शोभती उस भुजंग को
जिसके पास गरल है
उसका क्या जो दंतहीन
विषरहित विनीत सरल है

Sach poochho to shar mein hi
Basti hai deepti vinay ki
Sandhivachan sampoojya usika
Jisme shakti vijay ki

सच पूछो तो शर में ही
बसती है दीप्ति विनय की
संधिवचन सम्पूज्य उसीका
जिसमे शक्ति विजय की

DREDOs are no where in the game of Shakti..

Nag is minus the venom which is being touted as deadly for last 30 years.

People have made millions and gone home by chanting the Mala of Nag .. Nag....

and some and still doing it..

sayareakd

Country flag
@Bhadra i know your love for local product or lack of it, but is it not the IA which after Namica was made said that it does not have commander sight , this delayed the Nag induction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhadra

Country flag
@Bhadra i know your love for local product or lack of it, but is it not the IA which after Namica was made said that it does not have commander sight , this delayed the Nag induction.
I too respect your currency of develpomental inputs but Nag was one of the first projects to be conceived under IGMDP... or so.

Before India needed an ICBM, there was a requirement of Atk missile. Out of all missiles Atk missile is the one which is required and fired even in peace time ( such as on LoC)

Agni - sagagarika etc are all bull shit which would never be fired.. They are all later time or recent projects...

What happened to Nag??? The first project to replace SS11B1 or Maltkas ??

Those damn SS!! still continue to be there where you all only show photos of Nag to IA ?

Last edited by a moderator:

sayareakd

Country flag
I too respect your currency of develpomental inputs but Nag was one of the first projects to be conceived under IGMDP... or so.

Before India needed an ICBM, there was a requirement of Atk missile. Out of all missiles Atk missile is the one which is required and fired even in peace time ( such as on LoC)

Agni - sagagarika etc are all bull shit which would never be fired.. They are all later time or recent projects...

Those damn SS!! still continue to be there where you all only show photos of Nag to IA ?
those bad ass missile make sure that situation does not arise, where the foreign army will over overwhelmed you guys with their big weapons.

kshkumsin

well Bhadra the thing is these were not fired because they are the ones who ensure that a need doesn't arise to fire them

we lost Sumdorong Chu because of non availibility of nuclear power
1987 Sino-Indian skirmish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
You didnt get my point ?

Arjun is both road and train transportable, The weight issue MOD people are talking about is actually apply to T-72M1 even T-90S, The Bridges cannot take more than 40tons at best, In that sense T-90S/T-72M1 both fall same as Arjun MK-1, But People dont mention T-90S/72M1 just Arjun MK-1, Got it now ?

In Cities or well devlped Areas, Bridges can take more than 100 tons..

======================================================

Are you saying NAG should be mounted on T-72/55 ? That would increase weight..
No, I am saying most of India's major route bridges average up to 50t and can take T-90s. That is why IA decided to buy it en mass and not Arjun. A NAG carrier needing more power and protection would be better off with that. BMPT might not be on order, but it still cremates anything else in its class and a NAG carrier would be even more potent on this chassis. BMP-2 is a joke.

Last edited:

Articles