Myanmar army surrenders to hot jalebis, sarees

bhramos

Country flag
BANGALORE: They came, they saw and� they got conquered, literally.
There were 33 in all - five officers and 28 soldiers - strong and handsome. While boarding a special flight back home on Saturday evening, ending their five-day sojourn to Bangalore and Mysore, the Myanmar Army delegation had a definite yeh-dil-maange-more-looks written all over. After all, it was not just the warmth of Madras Engineer Group and Centre (MEG&C) that alone floored them. The beautiful lakes, tempting jelabis, Mysore silk sarees and many more!
"Very nice city. This our first visit to Bangalore. We have come to India (Siliguri) in 2008. We heard a lot about Bangalore. It's the IT city, you know? Nice lakes all around, beautiful people," Maj Gen Hla Shwe, Vice Adjutant General of the Myanmar Army, told Express in broken English and bold Burmese accent. Stepping in with help and smile was Capt (Dr) Yan Nanny Tun, the interpreter-cum-liaison officer.
Maj Shwe said that Bangalore is very much like Maymyo City in Myanmar. "The weather is same like here. We are at home. Even the Indian Army is like Myanmar Army. Our cultures are similar. Your city is vary famous in Myanmar," he said. "We liked the chapatis, hot-hot jalebis and poori bhaji (laughs). Very tasty it is," the Major said.
The Major found time to buy silk sarees from Mysore for his wife, while his team bought bagful of handicrafts. "We enjoyed Mysore. We bought horses, elephants and tiger (just toys!). We visited the famous St Philomena's Church too," said Major Shwe, to whom even the Myanmar Air Force and Navy also reports to.
While his boys had friendly bout of boxing and a game of hockey with the Indian Army team, the Major and co were given a brief on the training aspects.
According to Brig Gurdip Singh, MEG&C� Commandant, the delegation was a given a presentation on philosophy of training in Indian Army. "Some of the technological advancements in the training by the Indian Army, including NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) warfare, were discussed. These exchanges help increase the bonding between countries. We need more such exchanges," Brig Gurdip said.
When Express team was about to leave, Maj Shwe called back and said, "You know. I am a front-line soldier since I was 21 years. I will comeback to Bangalore again."

Myanmar army surrenders to hot jalebis, sarees - southindia - Bangalore - ibnlive

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
come any time, just dont let terrorist operate from your soil against us, we will do the same for you.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
With the liberalisation in Myanmar under way with the new Govt, things are looking up.

India, being a democratic country with a long relationship with Myanmar can help Myanmar into the international fora.

India must play its part in a sensitive and equitable manner.

Myanmar is the bridgehead into East Asia and with a friendly Myanmar the trade link to the East would be easier and the Asia highway to the East would be no longer a mere dream.

Myanmar is strategically very important to India's sensitivities as also a treasure house in strategic reserves!

My interaction with the Myanmarese when the came to India indicated that they are very friendly to India inspite of the sanctions and looked on India as friends.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
[h=3]Myanmar Army surrenders to hot jelabis, lakes & Mysore sarees![/h]

"Very nice city. This our first visit to Bangalore. We have come to India(Siliguri) before in 2008. We heard a lot about Bangalore. It's the IT city,you know? Nice lakes all around, beautiful people," Maj Gen Hla Shwe, ViceAdjutant General of the Myanmar Army, told Express in broken English and boldBurmese accent. Stepping in with help and smile was Capt (Dr) Yan Nanny Tun,the interpreter-cum-liaison officer.

Even the Indian Army is like Myanmar Army.Our cultures are similar. Your city is very famous in Myanmar," he said. "Weliked the chapatis, hot-hot jelabis and poori bhaji (laughs). Very tasty itis," the Major said.

The Major found time to buy silk sarees from Mysore for his wife, while histeam bought bagful of handicrafts. "We enjoyed Mysore. We bought horses, elephantsand tigers (just toys!). We visited the famous St Philomena's Church too," saidMajor Shwe, to whom even the Myanmar air force and navy also reports to.

While, Express[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] team was about the leave, Maj Shwe called back and said. "Youknow... I am a front-line soldier since I was 21 years[/FONT]. I will comeback toBangalore again," [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]he said.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Interesting People, No doubt we had very good relation with them since long time.. [/FONT]

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
With the liberalisation in Myanmar under way with the new Govt, things are looking up.

India, being a democratic country with a long relationship with Myanmar can help Myanmar into the international fora.
Ray sir I remember reading a paper at SAAG on similar development. It discussed the various implications of changing US-Myanmar relations and churning with the ASEAN nation ... implications on them and others like China, India etc.
The “Changing” Myanmar and the Reactions of the International Community

Regards,
Virendra

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Glad to see Burmese opening up to our country. I think we should do our best to wean them off Chinese totally. Even they are looking for an alternate power balance. We should change our defense policies and seize the opportunity. Chinese are at advantage because of their lightning fast decision making and their blistering speed of manufacturing (whether stolen design or not doesn't matter here).

Those are 2 areas where we lag. Innovation wise we can be militarily ahead if we only speed up these 2 elements and become a credible "alternate" to China for many Southeast Asian nations.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles