Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Who carries the anti Material rifle?
Sir, I doubt anyone in a combat Squad or Platoon would carry a AMR ? but a Marksman Rifle..

And if anyone carry so it will be the marksman in a squad or platoon..

What are the modern weapons being given to the section and the platoon?
New carbine instead of old carbine, New Rifle instead of old Rifle..

Weight of these new Rifle are Carbine are lesser than older once..

Sure? Check again.
Currently a platoon have every thing..

1. Rifle
2. Carbine
3. UBGL
4. LMG & GPMG
5. RL
6. MGL
7. Mortar

So what happens then about making things light for the infantry man?
Sir, Overall weight will be reduce alot, Addition of few more rounds with New Suit will be still lighter than previous suit..

Manpower from where?
Don't have info on this..

Reactions: Kay

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Kunal sir, why do you take two pages of posts that can be made in two posts? Is this multiple interviews?

commando elite

Almost all Major firearms makers so does DRDO..

I think MOD selected M4 carbine..
Kunal sir i think there are many better rifles than the m4 available today . The m16s and m4s since their birth have been facing critcism regarding reliability and lethality. I think the arx160 whould have been a better choice

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunal sir i think there are many better rifles than the m4 available today . The m16s and m4s since their birth have been facing critcism regarding reliability and lethality. I think the arx160 whould have been a better choice
Dedicated thread:

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/indian-army/40047-m4-rifles-army-sf-units.html

why do you take two pages of posts that can be made in two posts? Is this multiple interviews?
I think that was better way to post the interview..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Sir, I doubt anyone in a combat Squad or Platoon would carry a AMR ? but a Marksman Rifle..

And if anyone carry so it will be the marksman in a squad or platoon..

New carbine instead of old carbine, New Rifle instead of old Rifle..

Weight of these new Rifle are Carbine are lesser than older once..

Currently a platoon have every thing..

1. Rifle
2. Carbine
3. UBGL
4. LMG & GPMG
5. RL
6. MGL
7. Mortar

Sir, Overall weight will be reduce alot, Addition of few more rounds with New Suit will be still lighter than previous suit..

Don't have info on this..

A Platoon may or would additionally carry :
Grenades
UBGL, or
Grenade FIRING RIFLE
an IED OR EXPLOSIVE Device
Mine detector if on road opening duty
A Dog if available
A sniper rifle
A FAE AGL or RL
Medical kit
24 hours rations
Water

Reactions: Kay

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Communication equipment
Night vision devices during night

ashdoc

Country flag

"The 'Best Soldier' of the world cannot have second best weapon, equipment or clothing. The modernisation process is aimed to harness advanced technologies to enhance the operational capabilities of Infantry across the full spectrum of conflict. There has been development in technology, which has a profound influence in increasing the destructive power of weapons systems in lethality and accuracy, resulting in quick obsolescence of weapons system and calling for periodic upgrading and modernization," stated Lt. Gen Vinod Bhatia, AVSM, SM, Director General Infantry, Indian Army in an exclusive interview to India Strategic.
thank you captian obvious....err i mean LT Gen Vinod Bhatia , for telling us this :rolleyes:

abingdonboy

Country flag
What really perplexes me about the IA is that despite a HUGE amount of its AO is in deserts, it still only has 1 camo (the jungle camo) and applies this to EVERY environment. The IA has got to be one of the few armies wearing jungle camo in deserts!! I am told the F-INSAS project will bring a new camo to the IA, this remains to be seen. But the IA still needs to adopt another 2/3 camos- there should be a standard camo for jungle,desert and mountain.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Also in India there are so many units running around with different camos it is becoming absurd! Every force has its own camo and there is just no stadardisation. I'm not saying police/central police forces should have the same camo as the IA-far from it. But if they could just stadardise within them selves that would be good!

Also I'd say the IA should be interested in the USMC MARPAT, it has a desert,jungle and arctic variant and is already in use in India (with the CRPF COBRAs):

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Good to see the thread re-opened..

I have found the kind of Digital camo suits Indian army..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Camo for Indian troops exist already, One just need to buy and produce in country..

------------------------------------
------------------------------------

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Micro-pattern Camo already used and offered for Indian Armed force..

Tetric camo is used on many vehicles which itself a kind of micro-pattern camo..

-----------------------------

Offered :

abingdonboy

Country flag
Micro-pattern Camo already used and offered for Indian Armed force..

Tetric camo is used on many vehicles which itself a kind of micro-pattern camo..

Offered :

What's the story behind the digital Gypsy?? Is this in service or just a one off?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Lets see how things are moving in our Paramilitary forces :

Indian army is largest Organization in India defending Indian Borders lack basic necessity and we are spending on worthless things..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Surpat suits better as the color codes are similar to our`s uniform, Also to add there are companies making Marpat in India ..

Also I'd say the IA should be interested in the USMC MARPAT, it has a desert,jungle and arctic variant and is already in use in India (with the CRPF COBRAs):

Illusive

Country flag
Looking at the photo, the scene is posed. No face camo, the entire squad is facing in the same direction, everyone is bunched together. Good cover is nearby (behind them) , but they are not using it. Surely the squad leader knows better, but is complying with what the photographer wants. On an actual patrol, things would have to be different.

Lots more on patrolling here:

US Army Field Manual 7-8

CHAPTER 3
PATROLLING

FM 7-8 Chptr 3 Patrolling
Also 3 soldiers are wearing spectacles, isn't good eyesight one of the essential requirement of any military except for the ones were its mandatory to join for every citizen like Israel.

pkroyal

I agree with Kunal

when I served with my battalion in the deserts ( 1984-87) we had Khakis as our uniform in peace for the two formations based at Jodhpur & Ahmedabad.
Field dress meant removing the lanyard, stars,ribbons & shoulder titles etc & slipping on a field epaulet on the peace time khakis.
Many policewallahs in peace stations mistook us for police officers & happily saluted us when we drove past them to the city on our bikes & in field during Op-Exercises locals mistook us for the BSF.

Hilarious but true!

Vision, standardization, future planning & knowing what others are upto is the key.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles