Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

RedHood108

Country flag
“Only stupid people will get annoyed that a 16 Tillion $ economy has a better equipped infantry than a 3 Trillion $ economy, with a larger population.”

You talking about China? Please take a look at average south East Asian sof and infantry and compare to ia.
While comparing the average South East Asian SoF & infantry also compare their per capita income.

Most of them falls in the middle income catagory. Where as India is a lower income country.

41% of all our military equipment fall under vintage catagory, as per our Army Chief. It's better to be realistic about our situation, set our aspirations accordingly & work for a better future.

Kumaoni

While comparing the average South East Asian SoF & infantry also compare their per capita income.

Most of them falls in the middle income catagory. Where as India is a lower income country.

40% of all our military equipment fall under vintage catagory, as per our Army Chief. It's better to be realistic about our situation, set our aspirations accordingly & work for a better future.
We have enough funds to do 80 crore deals on tanks, fighter jets, etc, but not even 40 million to standardize decent gear?

RedHood108

Country flag
We have enough funds to do 80 crore deals on tanks, fighter jets, etc, but not even 40 million to standardize decent gear?
Been waiting for MMRCA for like 1 decade now wtf are you even talking about. There are no new destroyers planned after 4th P15B as of now. Only 118 Arjun Mk1A ordered which is like peanuts.

As said before only 2 lakh active personel are being provided with new gear. And 7 lakh are being provided Ak203.

There must be a balancing of strategic & conventional assets along with regular soldeir.

abingdonboy

Country flag

Only stupid people will get annoyed that a 16 Tillion $ economy has a better equipped infantry than a 3 Trillion $ economy, with a larger population.
Somehow a sub $1TN economy (india in early 00s) has comparable equipment to a >$3TN (india today) in terms of PPE.

Don’t come at me with a few hand picked examples of emergency orders, frontline infantry in conventional formations are still running around in fibreglass helmets with twigs sticking out of them and empty load carriers- see any large scale ex of the last 10 years

Kumaoni

Been waiting for MMRCA for like 1 decade now wtf are you even talking about. There are no new destroyers planned after 4th P15B as of now. Only 118 Arjun Mk1A ordered which is like peanuts.

As said before only 2 lakh active personel are being provided with new gear. And 7 lakh are being provided Ak203.

There must be a balancing of strategic & conventional assets along with regular soldeir.
So then where do all the funds go? IA has a very large budget compared to other countries.
Somehow a sub $1TN economy (india in early 00s) has comparable equipment to a >$3TN (india today) in terms of PPE.

Don’t come at me with a few hand picked examples of emergency orders, frontline infantry in conventional formations are still running around in fibreglass helmets with twigs sticking out of them and empty load carriers- see any large scale ex of the last 10 years
not just comparable, asides from frontline troops (the only troops with semi modern gear), the army of the early 2ks is the exact same as the army of 2023, just with less capable officers

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag

There is balancing and then there is outright ignoring.

abingdonboy

Country flag

What balancing? The navy doesn’t have minesweepers, SSN, enough SSKs, enough helicopters etc etc etc

the airforce is the smallest it has been in decades, hasn’t ordered more than 120 fighters in the last 15 years

the army has inducted ~300 new 155mm arty guns in 40 years

RedHood108

Country flag

When you can hand pick media images of Special Force to suit your narrative. Then what's wrong with me.

Any way I wasn't pointing out any modern equipment. Those are quite average. The quoted forum members couldn't find the new helmets. So I shared the videos where they had them on.
images (1).jpeg

Kumaoni

When you can hand pick media images of Special Force to suit your narrative. Then what's wrong with me.

Any way I wasn't pointing out any modern equipment. Those are quite average. The quoted forum members couldn't find the new helmets. So I shared the videos where they had them on.
View attachment 217977
NSG? It’s pretty much agreed upon on this very forum that NSG has made the most strides among any Indian SOF.

Marliii

Country flag

View attachment 217977
This image represents exactly what the problem is we slept till 2008 then 26/11 happened and we did some shopping and changes then slept again and those things you are saying as massive change can be found on a russian or Ukrainian infantryman and much better

RedHood108

Country flag
What balancing? The navy doesn’t have minesweepers, SSN, enough SSKs, enough helicopters etc etc etc

the airforce is the smallest it has been in decades, hasn’t ordered more than 120 fighters in the last 15 years

the army has inducted ~300 new 155mm arty guns in 40 years
Your agreeing with my point. 🤷‍♂️

There are gaping holes in every arm of our Armed forces. So doesn't it makes sense that there will be gaping holes in Infancy & SoF as well.

Why go to every thread & run the same shenanigan over & over again, it's the same lot of people wining in every thread.

Kumaoni

This image represents exactly what the problem is we slept till 2008 then 26/11 happened and we did some shopping and changes then slept again and those things your are saying as massive change can be found on a russian or Ukrainian infantryman and much better
I’m shocked NSG managed to clear out and save nearly every hostage lives with such shit equipment.

Here NSG is worse equipped than even Naxals

Marliii

Country flag
I’m shocked NSG managed to clear out and save nearly every hostage lives with such shit equipment.

Here NSG is worse equipped than even Naxals
I didn't believe this photo as NSG sometime ago and thought It was maybe police or something trying to fight rioters

jai jaganath

Country flag

View attachment 217977
Wtf
It's development for u wrt gendarmarie force
Congratulations what a success

Kumaoni

I didn't believe this photo as NSG sometime ago and thought It was maybe police or something trying to fight rioters
You also need to consider the fact that the militants who did 26/11 were decent in number and trained for months by ISI and were handpicked for this one.

Surpised NSG didn’t just get slaughtered

jai jaganath

Country flag

Why u guys think it's about budget
First point being they are tip of sword and they have to be sharp no matter how u do it
Secondary it's not at all costly most importantly these things are indigenous and effective
It revolves around their inefficiency and unawareness
They can get 5 apache few useless jet packs but not making world-class sof
They even don't have understanding regarding sof otherwise they wouldn't have converted airborne units to sf
It's more than monetary issue rather on quality of decision makers

RedHood108

Country flag
Why u guys think it's about budget
First point being they are tip of sword and they have to be sharp no matter how u do it
Secondary it's not at all costly most importantly these things are indigenous and effective
It revolves around their inefficiency and unawareness
They can get 5 apache few useless jet packs but not making world-class sof
They even don't have understanding regarding sof otherwise they wouldn't have converted airborne units to sf
It's more than monetary issue rather on quality of decision makers
The guy I quoted couldn't find the new helmets with RR. So I shaired the video where RR had them on.

Now don't rewind your same SoF tape recorder over here which gets repeated like Hanuman Challisa everyday on SoF thread . That was not the topic.

Decision making is one of the issues, but budget also plays a role. Denying it is only an excuse for your daily rants.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles