MMRCA news and discussions.

Whats your Choice for the MMRCA Contest?

• Gripen

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • F16 IN

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • F18 SH

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Mig 35

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • Dassault Rafale

Votes: 45 43.7%
  • Eurofighter Typhoon

Votes: 20 19.4%

• Total voters

Vladimir79

Professional
Rafale M flyaway was €70 million in 2008 which would be $102 million in today's conversion.

StealthSniper

If Brazil picks the Rafale fighter then I would feel better if India picks Rafale to win. If Brazil doesn't pick the Rafale fighter you gotta wonder if it's the Americans causing it or it's something to do with the aircraft itself.

youngindian

Country flag
Rafale lands in Bangalore

29/09

Rafale, the French built fighter aircraft and one of the six fighters competing for the Indian Air Force’s (IAF’s) multi-billion dollar multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) deal is in Bangalore. Two twin-engine delta-wing multi-role fighters designed and built by France’s Dassault Aviation and piloted by IAF and French pilots have been undertaking flights – which are part of the MMRCA flight trials — from Bangalore’s HAL Airport since Tuesday.Officials said the two French aircraft had flown non-stop to Bangalore from Dassault’s Flight Test Centre at Istres in France, thanks to the fighter’s in-flight refuelling capabilities.

One of the most modern fourth generation fighters, the Rafale is in use with the French Air Force, and the French Navy for their carrier-based operations. Officials said the Rafale met all the air staff qualitative requirements sought by the IAF and that Dassault was prepared to transfer all the technology that was required by the Indian side. They pointed out that the Rafale had a functioning Active Electronically Scanned Array radar.

Dassault’s bid had the strong backing of the Nicolas Sarkozy Government.

Piloted by IAF and French pilots, the two trainer aircraft will be based in Bangalore for the next fortnight, flying over, and in and out of Bangalore as they take part in the first phase of the flight trials. During the two weeks the aircraft will fly to Leh for the high altitude/cold weather trials and Jaisalmer for the hot weather trials.

Dassault’s technicians, pilots and maintenance crew will train and show IAF test pilots and flight test engineers the capabilities and uniqueness of the Rafale.

Besides the IAF test crews, the specially formed Indian Evaluation Team has representatives from the Ministry of Defence, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, the Defence and Research Development Organisation, Directorate-General of Aeronautical Quality Assurance and Air Headquarters. Two evaluations teams have been formed for the MMRCA flight trials.

The next phase of flight trials will involve weapon firing trials in the country of the aircraft’s manufacturer. Besides the Rafale the other aircraft in contention for the $ 10 billion to $12 billion deal are Boeing’s F/A-18, Lockheed Martin’s F-16IN Super Viper, the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company’s Eurofighter Typhoon, Russia’s Mikoyan MiG-35 and Sweden’s Gripen JAS-39.

Rafale lands in Bangalore IDRW.ORG

Vladimir79

Professional
If Brazil picks the Rafale fighter then I would feel better if India picks Rafale to win. If Brazil doesn't pick the Rafale fighter you gotta wonder if it's the Americans causing it or it's something to do with the aircraft itself.
Two Rafales of the French Navy crashed last week. Brazil was desperate to know why.

A.V.

new generation of x-band radar for mig-35

ria novosti link

One of the selection criteria in the tender is that the fighter's radar must have an active phased array radar with a target detection range of at least 130 kilometers (about 80 miles).
"We have met this requirement of the Indian tender and built the Zhuk-AE active phased array radar with a proven range of 148 kilometers," said Vyacheslav Tishchenko, the company's general director.
The X-band radar can track 30 aerial targets in the track-while-scan mode, and engage six targets simultaneously in the attack mode.
Tishchenko said the detection range could be increased up to 200 km (125 miles).

AJSINGH

people are supporting rafale but it is the most expensive jet at fly away cost plus radar is not better than the ZHUK ASEA radar

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well Rafale, First let it take off from Leh at the given distance in full load then I will talk. Till then I will zip my mouth. And in the MMRCA deal only life cycle cost will be considered not the single piece cost.

StealthSniper

Well Rafale, First let it take off from Leh at the given distance in full load then I will talk. Till then I will zip my mouth. And in the MMRCA deal only life cycle cost will be considered not the single piece cost.

From what I have heard, no plane so far can take off with a full load and full tank of gas from Leh. I think It was because of the thin air. And as you mentioned the whole life cycle cost is going to be considered, and that's why the price of the plane before delivery is not the end all be all.

AJSINGH

Wrong! Typhoon is the most expensive aircraft in the MMRCA competition.

Do you have a link that says so?
freanch radar is not et fully developed , even french say so , whereas ZHUK radar is in the second variant development phase . we dont know much about french radar anyway but we do of russian radar and some intelligent guess work can ne made , which points that russian radar is as of now superior

can u provide a link to prove me wrong ?

khatarnak

well, i do not prefer russian aircraft after considering the following recent deals with russia. i believe they are not much reliable in terms of keeping their own words.

1. admiral gorshkov (failed to deliver on time, rised price toooo much)
2. brahmos (ToT)
3. MBT T90 (ToT which delayed production at avadi)
4. delay in delivering aircrafts for AWACS
5. delay in upgradation of Migs
:thumbs_thmbdn:

khatarnak

AJSING
freanch radar is not et fully developed , even french say so ,
if this is the case, i think it will not take so long for french to fully develop the radar. anyway the aircraft is not going to be deliver immediately. a term can be entered that they must provide the radar within xyz time. my opinion.

AJSINGH

well, i do not prefer russian aircraft after considering the following recent deals with russia. i believe they are not much reliable in terms of keeping their own words.

2. brahmos (ToT)
can u get an aircraft carrier in less than 2.8 billion dollars ? if so which country is offering us one

2- we have full tot of bhrahmos , we invested in that weapon , so u are wrong in that
3 T-90S full TOT is with us now
4- IL 76 manufacturing unit is in ukraine which is a seperate country now do not blame russians
5-Mig 29 upgrades were bing negotiated in GOI itself therefore the delay .

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
freanch radar is not et fully developed , even french say so , whereas ZHUK radar is in the second variant development phase . we dont know much about french radar anyway but we do of russian radar and some intelligent guess work can ne made , which points that russian radar is as of now superior

can u provide a link to prove me wrong ?
If you claim something , you should back it up when asked.How you came to a conclusion when you don't know much about French Radar.
Sell your intelligent guess work somewhere else.

And watch your spelling mate.

ppgj

2. brahmos (ToT)
it is easy to make such blind statements. even if you were to go thro' this thread you will get answers for most your reasons. there are other threads too which give some of the reasons. go thro' them and then base your opinion.

AJSINGH

If you claim something , you should back it up when asked.How you came to a conclusion when you don't know much about French Radar.

because freach themselves say so . if u know more can u provide us with more information ? plus already russian second variant of ZHUK will entre filght test and production , have u heard anything about french asea radar
that is called intelligent guess . not like yours pointing out other mistake. if u have anything to add plz do otherwise hold your opinions

khatarnak

AJS

can u get an aircraft carrier in less than 2.8 billion dollars ? if so which country is offering us one
IAF is not considering only the cost of the equipment. They are considering the cost of the equipment in its whole life. IAF's past experience is not good in terms of spares. Russian equipments are cheap but overall cost of life is not that much cheap.

2- we have full tot of bhrahmos , we invested in that weapon , so u are wrong in that
3 T-90S full TOT is with us now
Sorry sir, I know that we have invested in Brahmos by 50%. But Russians were not provided the tech of their part on time. They DID delay in ToT.

I did not say that ToT was not completed for T90, I just said that it was delayed. Understand the words first.

What would you say about Gorshkov?? I doubt that the conditions may remain the same and they will delay the induction of MMRCA as well.

AJSINGH

can you prove me wrong ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles