Mil Mi-26T2 Halo vs Boeing CH47F Chinook

pmaitra

@asianobserve, what is the relevance of posting pictures of tactical operations, when we are discussing heavy-lift helicopters?

Last edited by a moderator:

p2prada

I will ask again, where is the current production facility for Mil-26?

The keyword is 'current.' I am not seeking historical data.
:dude:
It's there in the "pre-historic" data.

Place called Rostov-on-Don, set up in 1939 and still going strong.

Btw, it is Mi-26, not Mil.

EDIT:
There were plans for overlapping the production lines before Rostvertol and Kamov merged, but they did not. I think the new entity is called Oboronpromcorp. But Rostvertol still makes helicopters at the same place since 1956.

What? Were you hoping it was in the other CIS states?

Last edited:

pmaitra

:dude:
It's there in the "pre-historic" data.

Place called Rostov-on-Don, set up in 1939 and still going strong.

Btw, it is Mi-26, not Mil.

EDIT:
There were plans for overlapping the production lines before Rostvertol and Kamov merged, but they did not. I think the new entity is called Oboronpromcorp. But Rostvertol still makes helicopters at the same place since 1956.

What? Were you hoping it was in the other CIS states?
Mi is the short form for Mil, named after Mikhail Mil.

Ok. So it is Rostov. Thanks for the direct answer and for not beating around the bush this time.

pmaitra

Those pictures shows the "other" advantages of Chinook over Mi26.
Yeah, I know, but still those "other" advantages are not relevant to heavy lifting. The Mil-26 beats the CH47F in range, carrying capacity, as well as cruise speed. You are arguing just like a common car salesman, who tries to buttress the base price of the car with several unnecessary and irrelevant "packages."

Also, you posted a picture of a arty piece slung under the CH47F. The same thing will go "inside" a Mil-26, thus reducing the aerodynamic drag, and also making the flight safer and more stable.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Yeah, I know, but still those "other" advantages are not relevant to heavy lifting. The Mil-26 beats the CH47F in range, carrying capacity, as well as cruise speed. Just like a car salesman tried to buttress the base price of the car with several unnecessary and irrelevant "packages."

Also, you posted a picture of a arty piece slung under the CH47F. The same thing will go "inside" a Mil-26, thus reducing the aerodynamic drag, and also making the flight safer and more stable.

Would rather pay for a more expensive machine that can only do 1 thing as against another less expensive machine that can multi-task? I think I read somewhere that an IAF official has remarked that they have also selected the Chinook for its special ops capabilities.

Besides, if India would like to invade some African country the IAF can simply load the Chinook in their C-17s and fly them to their assembly point near the country to be invaded...:thumb:

pmaitra

Would rather pay for a more expensive machine that can only do 1 thing as against another less expensive machine that can multi-task? I think I read somewhere that an IAF official has remarked that they have also selected the Chinook for its special ops capabilities.
I'd take a master of one trade over a jack of all trades and master of none. Do you understand that you cannot have a baby in one month using 9 women? You cannot carry a BTR-80 using two CH47Fs, but Mil-26 can, inside the fuselage.

Besides, if India would like to invade some African country the IAF can simply load the Chinook in their C-17s and fly them to their assembly point near the country to be invaded...:thumb:
What? India is not the US, with allies and bases sprinkled all over the world. India faces the greatest threat from PRC, and the front is likely to be the Himalayan region, and we need helicopters more than fixed wing aircraft to deploy troops en masse.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I'd take a master of one trade over a jack of all trades and master of none. Do you understand that you cannot have a baby in one month using 9 women? You cannot carry a BTR-80 using two CH47Fs, but Mil-26 can, inside the fuselage.
Make some sense, but its seems the IAF does not agree with you (it agrees with me)... :laugh:

pmaitra

Make some sense, but its seems the IAF does not agree with you (it agrees with me)... :laugh:
Indeed. Throw a party then. :)

I doubt it is IAF. It is probably the government and "other" political considerations, like support for UNSC permanent membership, or pressurizing Pakistan, and God knows what, but I am almost certain it's not just about heavy-lift.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

I doubt it is IAF. It is probably the government and "other" political considerations, like support for UNSC permanent membership, or pressurizing Pakistan, and God knows what, but I am almost certain it's not just about heavy-lift.

Hahaha! I appreciate your stubbornness, but your creating conspiracy theories.

pmaitra

Hahaha! I appreciate your stubbornness, but your creating conspiracy theories.
Theories they are, and if it is touted heavy-lift, then there is more than what meets the eye.

BTW, "your" is not a contraction of "you are."

p2prada

Huh?

We buy 15 helicopters and we get political advantages right from UNSC to Pakistan? Impossible.

IAF shortlists aircraft and MoD decides the L1 based on costs. Simple as that. If Mi-26 was cheaper, they would have selected it.

India is too big for such small things to be correlated to political gains. I am a CH-47 fan for all the things it can do as compared to the Mi-26.

pmaitra

Huh?

We buy 15 helicopters and we get political advantages right from UNSC to Pakistan? Impossible.

IAF shortlists aircraft and MoD decides the L1 based on costs. Simple as that. If Mi-26 was cheaper, they would have selected it.

India is too big for such small things to be correlated to political gains. I am a CH-47 fan for all the things it can do as compared to the Mi-26.
CH47F is cheaper so what? It is also smaller, with less capacity, and less range. Of course it should be cheaper. How is that even a price advantage?

You need to do some heavy hauling, and you have a Ural Truck and a small Mahindra Pick-up,and you pick the Mahindra Pick-up because it is cheaper?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
You need to do some heavy hauling, and you have a Ural Truck and a small Mahindra Pick-up,and you pick the Mahindra Pick-up because it is cheaper?
The analogy is not apt, here's more proper:

Ural truck

and

Oshkosh FMTV

Which would you prefer?

pmaitra

@asianobserve, my analogy is perfectly proper because it highlights the problem of comparing two helicopters that are significantly different in size and capacity.

I do not expect you to understand it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

sathya

Country flag
12 c130j , 22 Apaches , 15 CH 47 , ....

looks like India doing preps only for a limited war..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles