Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

methos

Country flag
Strv 122B has more than just 350kg of armor added, according a article it has around 65t

Sadly, forum won't let me post the link of that pdf file :confused:

(Just try to google strv 122b int and first pdf file result is that article)
The Strv 122B is actually a problematic tank. In 2005 a tank was described as "Strv 122B", which was nearly identical to the Strv 122, but fitted with the anti-mine plating from the Leopard 2A6M and a new commander's sight. This tank weighed 65 tonnes.
In 2010 IBD released pictures and an article about another Strv 122B, which was optimized for urban combat. The earlier front applique was replaced with a lighter one, while the flanks of hull and turret were fitted with rather large side armour modules. I am not sure wether this version has the anti-mine plating at the hull floor. The weight increased by 350 kg compared to the 62.5 tonnes heavy Strv 122.

The armor around the crew hatches does look to me like its removable and replaceable, a lot easier than the turret armor cavities which are welded shut.
STGN

The roof seems to feature integral composite armour, but the upper plate is fitted to it with two bolts per element. Normal bolt-on armour (like MEXAS, AMAP-B in some variants) has considerable more bolts and not fitted into cavities.

Austin

T-90MS Demonstration at IDEX 2013

High Res Pictures

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

http://www.ngaus.org/sites/default/files/Resolutions Package ARNG FY2014.pdf

In this document, USA ARNG shows desire to modernize whole it's M1 fleet (approx 2,000 tanks) to the newest M1A2SEP standard. This would give USA approx 4,000 M1A2SEP's (2,000 in US Army and 2,000 in ARNG inventory). ARNG also wants if it will be possible to modernize while it's M2 IFV fleet to M2A3 standard if possible.

Also ARNG want like US Army, implement all ECP upgrades when these will be avaiable.

STGN

http://www.ngaus.org/sites/default/files/Resolutions Package ARNG FY2014.pdf

In this document, USA ARNG shows desire to modernize whole it's M1 fleet (approx 2,000 tanks) to the newest M1A2SEP standard. This would give USA approx 4,000 M1A2SEP's (2,000 in US Army and 2,000 in ARNG inventory). ARNG also wants if it will be possible to modernize while it's M2 IFV fleet to M2A3 standard if possible.

Also ARNG want like US Army, implement all ECP upgrades when these will be avaiable.
This?:
"Recapitalizing of 100% of the M1 Abrams tanks required in the ARNG Heavy Mounted Maneuver
forces to the M1A2 SEP level of mode
rnization."

You sure its all M1's and not just in armored and Heavy Brigade Combat teams?
STGN

Damian

This?:
"Recapitalizing of 100% of the M1 Abrams tanks required in the ARNG Heavy Mounted Maneuver
forces to the M1A2 SEP level of mode
rnization."

You sure its all M1's and not just in armored and Heavy Brigade Combat teams?
STGN
Whole US fleet is approx 8,000-9,000 tanks - minus small losses in 1991 and 2003-2008, and small FMS deals.

US Army have currently 2,000 active M1A2SEP's, ARNG have currently 2,000 active M1A1SA's + one ABCT with M1A2SEP's, USMC have 400-410 M1A1's with at least 3 active tank battalions with M1A1FEP's. Add to this approx 2,000 M1's stored in Sierra Army Depot and rest of tanks stored in Anniston Army Depot and other smaller army storage areas.

Of course not all tanks are used in deployable units, some are used for training, some are used as immidiate reserves if nececary, stored of course.

BTW there are no Heavy Brigade Combat Teams any more, all had been transformed to Armored Brigade Combat Teams which are just Armor Brigades.

And of course some of older M1's and M1A1's were converted to HAB's, JAB's and ABV's.

Last edited:

STGN

Whole US fleet is approx 8,000-9,000 tanks - minus small losses in 1991 and 2003-2008, and small FMS deals.

US Army have currently 2,000 active M1A2SEP's, ARNG have currently 2,000 active M1A1SA's + one ABCT with M1A2SEP's, USMC have 400-410 M1A1's with at least 3 active tank battalions with M1A1FEP's. Add to this approx 2,000 M1's stored in Sierra Army Depot and rest of tanks stored in Anniston Army Depot and other smaller army storage areas.

Of course not all tanks are used in deployable units, some are used for training, some are used as immidiate reserves if nececary, stored of course.

BTW there are no Heavy Brigade Combat Teams any more, all had been transformed to Armored Brigade Combat Teams which are just Armor Brigades.

And of course some of older M1's and M1A1's were converted to HAB's, JAB's and ABV's.
I meant it dosen't sound like all the M1 assigned to ARNG brigades will be SEP. Only the ones in Armored brigades.
STGN

Damian

I meant it dosen't sound like all the M1 assigned to ARNG brigades will be SEP. Only the ones in Armored brigades.
So you want to say that there are M1's assigned to other Brigades besides ABCT's? I doubt that there are M1's assigned to SBCT's and IBCT's, unless you mean some independent armored battalions?

But I also heard that they planned to reinforce ABCT's with third combined arms battalion, seems that structure didn't settled down yet for US Army and ARNG and avaiable structure tables seems to be a bit old, pre 2012.

In one document I found a year ago, it was said that to 2014 US Army will have 2,000 M1A2SEP's (when I found that document, in others said that they had approx 1,547 M1A1SEP's in 2012), but from the structure, quantity of tanks in active units is around 1,000. So it seems that overall numbers include not only tanks in active ABCT's now, but also training units and reserves. Same for ARNG because it inherits US Army structure.

Last edited:

STGN

So you want to say that there are M1's assigned to other Brigades besides ABCT's? I doubt that there are M1's assigned to SBCT's and IBCT's, unless you mean some independent armored battalions?

But I also heard that they planned to reinforce ABCT's with third combined arms battalion, seems that structure didn't settled down yet for US Army and ARNG and avaiable structure tables seems to be a bit old, pre 2012.

In one document I found a year ago, it was said that to 2014 US Army will have 2,000 M1A2SEP's (when I found that document, in others said that they had approx 1,547 M1A1SEP's in 2012), but from the structure, quantity of tanks in active units is around 1,000. So it seems that overall numbers include not only tanks in active ABCT's now, but also training units and reserves. Same for ARNG because it inherits US Army structure.
Sorry I am mixing up old and new army structure I think.

Damian

Sorry I am mixing up old and new army structure I think.
No problem, structure is allways a bi(a)tch when it come to finding out details like equipment quantity, especially when structures are changing so rapidly.

For example Tamanskaya and Katerminovska brigades are scheduled to again become divisions, several years after their transition from divisions to brigades, IMHO all armed forces today have a problem to find a well balanced structures.

In US Army SBCT's have 3 manouver battalions, while IBCT's and ABCT's only 2, this was seen as a weak spot in case of at least ABCT's, so US Army command get the idea to give them third combined arms battalion, so at least SBCT's and ABCT's would have similiar structure, however if they are doing this now, or it is scheduled for near future is beyond my knowledge.

Also another problem is that in US Army you have battalions that are part of regiments, this further mess up things + I seen somewhere that also infantry regiments have tanks.

I gave up, I will just stick with documents I have, they say that prior 2013 US Army had 1,547 M1A2SEP's and their production will end in 2014 so aquiring additional 500 should not be a problem, and the document I saw where US Army planned to aquire 2,000 of them. Also documents says that more than 1,000 M1A1AIM/SA were aquired in early 2000 to 2009 and 791 more M1A1SA's were aquired to 2013.

So approx 4,000 tanks in active service is more or less correct and we can settle with this.

Last edited:

STGN

The picture in the link is not at M1A2 SEP, its a M1A1 with SCWS
STGN

Last edited:

JKD01

What do yout think what is the best protected Leo2 version today?

is it Leo 2A7, Leo 2E, Leo 2HEL, Strv 122, or some other?

Damian

What do yout think what is the best protected Leo2 version today?

is it Leo 2A7, Leo 2E, Leo 2HEL, Strv 122, or some other?
This question is pointless you know. Any type of tank can be up armored. Today composite armors are semi or fully modular, you can very easy replace them. Also there is no bigger problem to place on a tank any sort of additional protection.

Damian

Of course during armor protection modernization, engineers need to take in to their work also such things like suspension, engine and transmission issues, for example if engine willbe capable to move additional weight.

And mostly or such things were designed with additional weight in mind, or are also replaced, for example modernized M1 tanks, receive new stronger suspension.

Damian

Początek polonizacji Leopardów 2A - Altair Agencja Lotnicza

Finally modernization of Polish Leopard 2A4's beggins. Inspectorate of the Weaponry is now asking different companies if they are capable to get transfer of technology from germany or design their own solutions that required by Army and will be capable to manufacture them. It is a good initiative as it will give us greater independence from Germans when it comes to supplies of spare parts and pobabale future modifications.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Latest MBT-3000 More pictures

http://www.fyjs.cn/bbs/attachments/Mon_1110/26_135164_3ffee1fc3943b05.png[/IMG]

Damian

These photos are one year old, and nothing new, posted many times before.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles