Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

militarysta

Latest MBT-3000 More pictures
Old and well known here photos :)

BTW- those tank is like most thinghs from China - on firt look it looks like western ones, but from close - Jesus Christ...
I would never change Leo-2A4 for this MBT-3000. Interior is therrible!

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
I thought few of them were new such as the turret close ups

interior is indeed terrible :D

But i like the turret

Damian

MBT-3000 is actually compromitation of Chinese tank industry, take a notice that prototype started to rust... from the inside! Something unthinkable for most of other highly developed arms manufacturers.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
MBT-3000 is actually compromitation of Chinese tank industry, take a notice that prototype started to rust... from the inside! Something unthinkable for most of other highly developed arms manufacturers.
i guess the interior pics are of vt-1 as i have seen them atleast 2 years before.

from outside the mbt-3000 does look as good as t-90ms

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
by jordan
courtesy:Blackeagle

The Falcon turret was indigenously developed by King Abdullah II Design and Development Bureau (KADDB) in close partnership with the Mechanology Design Bureau and IST Dynamics of South Africa. It also uses some British and Swiss sub-systems. The Falcon turret was first revealed in 2003. The intended platform for this turret is the Jordanian Al Hussein (Challenger 1) main battle tank. Jordanian Army also operates Tariq (Centurions), M60A3 and Khalid (Chieftain) main battle tanks. These tanks can be also fitted with the Falcon turret. This turret is also proposed for export customers.

The Falcon is a low-volume and reduced-silhouette turret. It incorporates a Swiss RUAG Defense Systems 120-mm / L50 smoothbore gun, fitted with an autoloader. This gun is capable of firing all types of NATO 120-mm tank ammunition. It is superior to the British L11 120-mm rifled gun of the Al Hussein. Maximum rate of fire is up to 8 rounds per minute. Up to 17 rounds can be stowed in the bustle autoloader. Loading mechanism and ready-to-use ammunition are separated from the crew. Turret bustle is fitted with blow-out panels. Additional rounds are carried inside the hull.

Secondary armament consists of coaxial 7.62-mm machine gun. This turret is fitted with the latest generation thermal imaging, surveillance, navigation and fire control systems.

Remote operation of the turret enables full under armor protection for the crew members. Overall protection level is improved by reduced vehicle profile. Front of the turret is reinforced with composite armor. The Falcon turret has a built-in modular armor. Modules can be replaced when damaged, or when more advanced armor is available. Turret is fitted with automatic fire suppression and NBC protection systems.

The Falcon turret is fitted with auxiliary power unit, based on a small diesel engine.
Initial variant is known as the Falcon 1 (AB9C4) and improved variant is the Falcon 2 (AB9C5). Currently the Falcon 3 is under development. It will be fitted with a new autoloader, which will accommodate more ready-to-use ammunition.

The Jordanian Falcon is a low-volume and reduced-silhouette turret, developed by KADDB

Falcon II

Survivability

- The design of the Falcon Turret places the crew below the turret ring and the reduction of turret volume leads to a reduced profile and silhouette so allowing higher protection levels to be achieved for the same mass of armor

- Modular Multipurpose Armour Protection Packets. The Falcon mounts modular multipurpose protection packets which enables flexibility in protection levels to match the threat

- The turret mounts signature management system and multi spectral screening smoke. It also features a laser-warning device that is designed to give the crew advance warning of a potential enemy engagement, thereby allowing evasive action to be taken and consequently increases survivability

FALCON TURRET Specifications:

. Universal turret easily fitted on different platforms
. Stabilised 120 mm/50 cal NATO standard gun
. Smoothbore Compact Tank Gun
. Muzzle velocity: 1,770 m / s (APFSDS)
. Two main types of ammunition APFSDS and MP
. Bustle mounted Auto-loader with 'Blow-out Panel'
. Day/Night Thermal imaging displays for Commander and Gunner
. All electric Gun and Turret laying / drive systems
. Automatic fire detection / suppression system
. NBC protection-over pressurised fighting compartment
. Air conditioning system electrically operated located in the hull
. APU, under armour mounted diesel engine
. Instantaneous smoke grenade, two launchers 16 grenades
. Position / Navigation System
. Comfortable crew stations and compartment
. In own-tank training capability

Damian

i guess the interior pics are of vt-1 as i have seen them atleast 2 years before.

from outside the mbt-3000 does look as good as t-90ms
Interior is from MBT-3000 as MBT-3000 is known for a very long time. And from outside it is ugly, like all Chinese tanks.

is this the autoloader or what?
if so can such an autoloader launch long rod penetrators?
Yest this is autoloader. I hope you understand a simple fact that there are different types of autoloaders, some like the AZ series used in T-72 series, T-90 series or Chinese tanks and their off spring Al Khalid, whitout serious modifications, can't use APFSDS ammunition with long rod penetrators. However there are also autoloaders that without a problem can store such ammunition because due to storage method, there is no problems with lenght. Falcon turret autoloader is one of such type. The other one is for example Meggitt Compact Autoloader for M1 series MBT's, below video.

newvid

However take a notice that due to turret size, Falcon turret autoloader have lower capacity (probably approx 20 rounds) compared to Meggitt Compact Autoloader that can hold 34 rounds.

So everything depends on design.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Interior is from MBT-3000 as MBT-3000 is known for a very long time. And from outside it is ugly, like all Chinese tanks.

Yest this is autoloader. I hope you understand a simple fact that there are different types of autoloaders, some like the AZ series used in T-72 series, T-90 series or Chinese tanks and their off spring Al Khalid, whitout serious modifications, can't use APFSDS ammunition with long rod penetrators. However there are also autoloaders that without a problem can store such ammunition because due to storage method, there is no problems with lenght. Falcon turret autoloader is one of such type. The other one is for example Meggitt Compact Autoloader for M1 series MBT's, below video.

newvid

However take a notice that due to turret size, Falcon turret autoloader have lower capacity (probably approx 20 rounds) compared to Meggitt Compact Autoloader that can hold 34 rounds.

So everything depends on design.
So the AZ and Ural autoloader are same?

as AKIM said after watching the video of AK autoloader..he said AK use Ural autoloader

And the mbt-3000 looks awesome..i dont know why you said so
though is slightly over weight(52t)

Damian

So the AZ and Ural autoloader are same?

as AKIM said after watching the video of AK autoloader..he said AK use Ural autoloader
Yes, it is the same, just learn Russian.

Ural autoloader is in Russian known as, well... as autoloader litteraly, but in Russian it is written автомат заряжания - avtomat zarizhania, this is why it is in short, called AZ.

But the Ukrainian in origin 6ETs series of autoloaders, are also known as MZ with means loading mechanism, because as above, MZ litteraly means - механизм заряжания - mechanizm zarizhania, this is why for short it is called MZ.

Simple as that.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Yes, it is the same, just learn Russian.

Ural autoloader is in Russian known as, well... as autoloader litteraly, but in Russian it is written автомат заряжания - avtomat zarizhania, this is why it is in short, called AZ.

But the Ukrainian in origin 6ETs series of autoloaders, are also known as MZ with means loading mechanism, because as above, MZ litteraly means - механизм заряжания - mechanizm zarizhania, this is why for short it is called MZ.

Simple as that.
ARDE of Pakistan has just officially declared development of a new round with enhanced penetration.
i will post the snapshot from the site soon also being confirmed by minitry of defence production pakistan.

what are the possibility whether they could have changed the whole autoloader in Al khalid I or can modifications makes the AZ autoloader to fire longer APFSDS?
since this is no more a rumour as it is confirmed by both ARDE and MOD production

Damian

ARDE of Pakistan has just officially declared development of a new round with enhanced penetration.
i will post the snapshot from the site soon also being confirmed by minitry of defence production pakistan.

what are the possibility whether they could have changed the whole autoloader in Al khalid I or can modifications makes the AZ autoloader to fire longer APFSDS?
since this is no more a rumour as it is confirmed by both ARDE and MOD production
Well the AZ autoloader does not gives much field to manouver when it comes to increasing lenght of penetrator simply because hull dimensions. Besides this do not expect some increbile performance of that new ammunition, they only say about increasing performance but by how much? 5%? 10%?

Fact is that with AZ autoloader it is just immposible to achieve penetrator lenght similiar to M829A3, and thus it's performance.

What is needed is different autoloader, for example bustle one, same like Ukrainians presented on some of thier proposals like BM Yatagan or T-72-120.

Last edited:

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Well the AZ autoloader does not gives much field to manouver when it comes to increasing lenght of penetrator simply because hull dimensions. Besides this do not expect some increbile performance of that new ammunition, they only say about increasing performance but by how much? 5%? 10%?

Fact is that with AZ autoloader it is just immposible to achieve penetrator lenght similiar to M829A3, and thus it's performance.

What is needed is different autoloader, for example bustle one, same like Ukrainians presented on some of thier proposals like BM Yatagan or T-72-120.
This list is the most recent from MOD.only a few months old.
check it out yourself.
The last one
(I am not sure whether the pic mentioned is of this new round or still in development)

[PDF]http://www.modp.gov.pk/gop/index.php?q=aHR0cDovLzE5Mi4xNjguNzAuMTM2L21vZHAvdXNlcmZpbGVzMS9maWxlL01vRFAlMjBEYXRhL2FyZGUucGRm[/PDF]

I am concerned about autoloader in Basic AK and AK1

for AK2 this is more than confirmed it will have bustle autoloader because of its big weight and size..so far engine deal for ak2 is signed with ukraine in idex 2013.

Damian

Looks preatty standard to me, typical ring sabot, not very long penetrator either.

militarysta

You know who that length is not one of the components in the formula penetrator. Even more important than form, diameter and speed.
Yes, it's true, I was writing about that here:
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/land-forces/39363-tank-guns-ammunition-20.html#post683069
but Im still looking confirm that AK have longer casettes in autoloader. Till now all photots give us APFSDS whit lenght circa equal to the 3BM42 so we can assume penetration in worst and in the best case.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Looks preatty standard to me, typical ring sabot, not very long penetrator either.
well it is claimed to be having enhanced penetration.

atleast better than older naiza.

though i am still not confirm whether the picture mentioned is of this new apfsds or is still in development.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Yes, it's true, I was writing about that here:
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/land-forces/39363-tank-guns-ammunition-20.html#post683069
but Im still looking confirm that AK have longer casettes in autoloader. Till now all photots give us APFSDS whit lenght circa equal to the 3BM42 so we can assume penetration in worst and in the best case.
so what could be the reason for enhanced penetration.
i mean this is a govt organization and works under the umbrella of MOD and the manufacturer of naiza round aka POF works under them as well

We will see official photo's upgraded AL khalid I in july-august exercise.but still there wont be any chance to get into the autoloader and see whether it is modified or not

Articles