Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
HELLO ALL.

I am bit dumb in terms of tanks and other weapon systems but I really like to read this stuffs and like to improve my knowledge.

I am wondering why our army is still going for Russian tanks, as lots of other modern tanks are available.

As we have very good relations with Israel so we can buy Markava or German Lepord-2.

Markava is battle proven in hot weather and Germans are masters in Tank tech.

Senior member please explain my query.

Army like T tanks coz we have Spares for T-Tanks in mass and Logistics are more or less same for T-72 and T-90S, T-72 & T-90S Share 90% same hardwares..

Thats why T-90S is liked by Army..

But it doesn't mean Army don't like others, Arjun MK-1 is considered best Tank with others like T-90S..

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
No joke... I already said that. They make tractors... duhr :wacko:

Andrei_bt

T-90s armor protection - can be penetrated at 6 (!) kilometers by apfsds

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I have a question, are the new T-90 tanks currently being produced in India are of T-90M Standard ?
No T-90m is under serial production anywhere, Indian T-90S will be modified with a APU and a AC, their will be no T-90M..

T-90s armor protection - can be penetrated at 6 (!) kilometers by apfsds
6-7kms is indirect fire by any tank gun, Its more like high trajectory not low trajectory as AT gun fires..

Same can be archived by any 120mm Gun in the world, 125mm of that T-90M is 2a46m5 same as T-90S..

Andrei_bt

it sais that T-90s can be penetrated at 6 km and their armour is more then inadequate.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
it sais that T-90s can be penetrated at 6 km and their armour is more then inadequate.
Inadequate what ?, MIA2 frontal Armour can take 1500mm of Ke ( APDFS rounds ), The words are marketing language same as US, And 6km is not line of sight BUT indirect fire, this can be archived via all tanks guns..

Red is Indirect..
Blue is line of sight..

Andrei_bt

Inadequate what ?, MIA2 frontal Armour can take 1500mm of Ke ( APDFS rounds ), The words are marketing language same as US, And 6km is not line of sight BUT indirect fire, this can be archived via all tanks guns..

Red is Indirect..
Blue is line of sight..
In simple words as you don't understand - T-90 can be penetrated by 1994 made ammo from ANY distance up to 6 km.
If there is a 6 km line of site is availible the APFSDS round will fly direct fire to target if the АСЫ allows this, But it is not to show the probability of such range in practice, but to show T-90 is obsolete in terms of defence.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In simple words as you don't understand - T-90 can be penetrated by 1994 made ammo from ANY distance up to 6 km.
If there is a 6 km line of site is availible the APFSDS round will fly direct fire to target if the АСЫ allows this, But it is not to show the probability of such range in practice, but to show T-90 is obsolete in terms of defence.
Clear now..

And yes its true, But reminding this that, Challenger 1 has the record for the longest distance tank to tank kill during the first Gulf war having hit an Iraqi tank at 5.1 Km and its kill via a HESH round, the target was taken out without line of sight but with help of recon team behind lines giving the coordinates..

6km straight is not possible at all..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am bit confused with the thread title - "India's Born Again T-90M MBT", the fact is that India doesnot have T-90M tanks rather T-90S.
The thread was created on the basis of MR sengupta`s Blog article call "India's Born Again T-90M MBT"

And its long ago..

p2prada

In simple words as you don't understand, the M829A2 will kill any tank from a decent distance.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles