Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Always wondered about this. Finally found a video about it.
  • Vision kill was achieved on first hit.
  • Penetration was not achieved until 3rd try (that sounds so dirty :megusta:)
  • So its not impossible to kill the driver after a mobility kill of the tank in field conditions. Its just extremely difficult, especially at range and when your opponent can shoot back. And it would take a lot of time and frequent shifting of positions and a lot of rounds. I could be wrong here.

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
Always wondered about this. Finally found a video about it.
  • Vision kill was achieved on first hit.
  • Penetration was not achieved until 3rd try (that sounds so dirty :megusta:)
  • So its not impossible to kill the driver after a mobility kill of the tank in field conditions. Its just extremely difficult, especially at range and when your opponent can shoot back. And it would take a lot of time and frequent shifting of positions and a lot of rounds. I could be wrong here.
Aren't they periscopes and not direct vision ports ?

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति

Pandora

Country flag
DRDO should tie up with Ukrainian who more than willing to tie up with Indians for FMBT ,T 90 or even arjun upgrade but then again egostic drdo will lose relevance.They know they cant compete with these guys.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
You are active on terror forum you should ask them with the same concern, PA use Ukrainian engines ..

DRDO has TATA, Mahindra and others partners who can bring better product without much issues around intellectual rights which Russian, Ukrainian can offer, screwdriver production is viable only with these partners ..

If their is a requirement then there will be results ..

Pandora

Country flag
You are active on terror forum you should ask them with the same concern, PA use Ukrainian engines ..

DRDO has TATA, Mahindra and others partners who can bring better product without much issues around intellectual rights which Russian, Ukrainian can offer, screwdriver production is viable only with these partners ..

I hardly post out there but 1-2 postsin weekly basis to trolll those jihadist:p

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag

I hardly post out there but 1-2 postsin weekly basis to trolll those jihadist:p
Speaking of which, have they ever mentioned anything about the reliability of the Ukrainian 6TD engines ? Neither the Soviets nor the British could fully harness opposed piston design. Both T64 5TD and Chieftain Leyland L60 had reliability issues. I wonder how exactly are the automotive performances of the the Al-Khalid and T-80UDs.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Speaking of which, have they ever mentioned anything about the reliability of the Ukrainian 6TD engines ? Neither the Soviets nor the British could fully harness opposed piston design. Both T64 5TD and Chieftain Leyland L60 had reliability issues. I wonder how exactly are the automotive performances of the the Al-Khalid and T-80UDs.
This legend was created in the modern world by "experts" who just stood near the tank. The Soviet Union released several thousand T-64s and several hundred T-80s with opposing engines. Why would the Soviets let go of bad engines, if the T-64/80 were at the cutting edge?

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
Well
This legend was created in the modern world by "experts" who just stood near the tank. The Soviet Union released several thousand T-64s and several hundred T-80s with opposing engines. Why would the Soviets let go of bad engines, if the T-64/80 were at the cutting edge?
Well I'm no expert and neither know the inside real story. What I see in front of me, is just the fact that T-64, or T-80 never really proved themselves in major conflict. I read stories about T-80 poor performance in Grozny, and see pictures of burnt out T-64 in donbass. I'll readily admit that neither are objective combat records, and regular guys like me will mostly see propaganda from one side or the other. What I'm saying is that my perception about these tanks hasn't been pushed from neutral to positive by whatever means, be it propaganda, marketing, or advertising.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Well

Well I'm no expert and neither know the inside real story. What I see in front of me, is just the fact that T-64, or T-80 never really proved themselves in major conflict. I read stories about T-80 poor performance in Grozny, and see pictures of burnt out T-64 in donbass. I'll readily admit that neither are objective combat records, and regular guys like me will mostly see propaganda from one side or the other. What I'm saying is that my perception about these tanks hasn't been pushed from neutral to positive by whatever means, be it propaganda, marketing, or advertising.
During the Soviet era, the T-64 and T-80 were not exported, of course you could not have known about their participation in hostilities. These models were not even in the Warsaw Pact countries. For the first time, the T-64 took part in the war in Transnistria, the T-80 in the first Chechen war.
In the USSR, there was no market economy, so they exported as the Communist Party believed.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles