Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Damian

So how you explain 152mm on Ob.292 (leningrad)?
It was not very logical design to be honest.

Or in Swizterland leo-2A4 when only one component (propelant charge) had autoloader and catrige 140mm was loaded manually?
Swiss Leopard 2-140 didn't had autoloader at all. And I think we all agree, it was not very logical either.

IMHO test station have nothing common whit normal tank, and for example Chineese industry just check how big forcess will exist in 140mm gun on typical ZTZ-99 chassis and turret. Just test station.
But do you have actuall proof that this photos shows 140mm gun? You have such proofs or not?

Damian

Oh, yeah, right, based on such photos you meassure actuall calliber of a gun? Good luck with that!

methos

Country flag
Swiss Leopard 2-140 didn't had autoloader at all. And I think we all agree, it was not very logical either.
It was quite logical. It enabled them to put a much larger gun into their Pz 87 without doing any major modifciations to the turret. Both pieces of the rounds were iirc. slightly lighter than a unitary 120 mm round, so that a quite similar rate of fire should be possible

German patent, see the right side.

Damian

It was quite logical. It enabled them to put a much larger gun into their Pz 87 without doing any major modifciations to the turret. Both pieces of the rounds were iirc. slightly lighter than a unitary 120 mm round, so that a quite similar rate of fire should be possible
Nah. If you play with larger gun, it is better to use autoloader.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
My bad, I almost missed that there are many kind of NERAs ..

I was taking Rubber sandwich NERA ..

No, it is NERA, principle of working mechanism is same, just got a different fancy name.

Sovngard

The thing that worries me with this new south-korean main battle tank is the small thickness of each sides of its turret. :creepy:

Last edited:

Those side boxes are armor or just storage boxes?
If those boxes are storage boxes, it could be replace with armor if needed. Overall it should provide 300mm-400mm LOS

Damian

These are storage boxes that in theory can be replaced with armor modules.

What is more problematic, is the small size of turret bustle, which means low ammunition capacity ready to use.

LaVictoireEstLaVie

What is more problematic, is the small size of turret bustle, which means low ammunition capacity ready to use.

I think the K2 is a significant improvement over the K1 series in all three major categories; firepower, mobility and protection.

Firepower: The L55 allows the K2 to theoretically fire high end KE rounds such as the M829A3 and DM53/63, putting the tank on an equal footing with tanks such as the M1A2 SEP and Leopard 2A6.

Mobility: The MTU (soon Korean) 1500 HP engine, coupled with the relative low weight of 55 tons and hydro-pneumatic/variable suspension should give the tank mobility to rival the best foreign counterparts such as the Leclerc XXI, BM-Oplot-M, etc.

Protection: Although the ammo hull storage is inferior compared to the Abrams series, the K2, Unlike the K1 series, has an autoloader equipped bustle wrack that is very similar to the Leclerc's. If i recall the Leclerc's autoloader has a 22 round capacity, which should be quite sufficient for the K2.

Sovngard

Those side boxes are armor or just storage boxes?
If those boxes are storage boxes, it could be replace with armor if needed. Overall it should provide 300mm-400mm LOS

I don't think that the storage boxes fastening will be able to hold a composite armor module.

The planned upgrade of the K2 Black Panther (which is still not in service), the PIP Product Improvement Program will only add some small ERA bricks over the storage boxes.

16 rounds in the bustle autoloader, still one more than the Leopard 2 :sarcastic:

The current Type 10 tanks used in JGSDF's training school have a bustle autoloader with a 14 rounds capacity but Japanese claim that it can be extended to 18 without heavy modifications.

If i recall the Leclerc's autoloader has a 22 round capacity
Yes

Global Defence

New threads

Articles