Light tanks for Indian Army

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Why a tank, why not air droppable heavy armoured ATGM launcher?

Keeping cost of atgm aside, what other disadvantage that atgm launcher has?

Others are welcome to pitch in.
I feel anti aircraft guns can be used with airburst ammunition against ground targets like enemy armoured formation.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I feel anti aircraft guns can be used with airburst ammunition against ground targets like enemy armoured formation.
Tank round busts thru thick walls and bunkers, which anti aircraft round cannot.

On the other hand hellfire and TOW seems to be capable of bunker busting, giving these examples because i haven’t seen bunker busting capabilities of NAG.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Tank round busts thru thick walls and bunkers, which anti aircraft round cannot.

On the other hand hellfire and TOW seems to be capable of bunker busting, giving these examples because i haven’t seen bunker busting capabilities of NAG.
Or APKWS ground based systems can be even better.
I’m talking about DAGR.

THESIS THORON

Country flag
A rfi is launched for light tanks below 25 ton weight. Response is wanted by june.

So only sprut SD qualifies the RFI. As all other light and medium tanks including proposed l&t/drdo jv light tanks are above 25 tons.
IT WILL REQUIRE TONS OF TIME BUT TILL THEN WHAT???

Hari Sud

Country flag
Unnecessary toys where at LAC ......, a man with fire power is more important than the light tanks trying to climb the mountains. The Indian heavies confronting the Chinese tanks in open areas will make a mince meat of the light tank. The heavies could be transported in pieces to the operational areas. In fact T-72 and T-90 are already there at spanggur Gap and Depsang open slopes. Chinese know that hence have refrained from any aggressive moves.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Unnecessary toys where at LAC ......, a man with fire power is more important than the light tanks trying to climb the mountains. The Indian heavies confronting the Chinese tanks in open areas will make a mince meat of the light tank. The heavies could be transported in pieces to the operational areas. In fact T-72 and T-90 are already there at spanggur Gap and Depsang open slopes. Chinese know that hence have refrained from any aggressive moves.
perhaps these are not for defensive tactics?

sunshine

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
China has been preparing special weapons for specific possible targets.
For example, a 400-kilometer range rocket launcher for Taiwan
15 Light Tank,For the plateaus and water networks.
DF21, 26, 17,For American aircraft carriers and bases around China.
15 light tank, dual turbocharging can be turned on in highland areas,In the plateau area, the power loss is small.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
The base design requirements in RFI points to the fact that Army is confortable of the proposal of a light tank based on IFV whose basic design should not weight beyond 18-20 tons. On that a turret with a 105 mm gun can be mounted.

In the indegeneous front, both OFBs BMP 2 and TATA's proposed FICV version matches this requirement.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles