LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

MirageBlue

Country flag
@Roland55

India is looking to replace the Martin Baker Mk16 ejection seat on the Tejas with the Zvezda K-36 for Argentina, as well as other British sourced parts. HAL already uses the K-36D for the Su-30MKI that is built locally. So the ground based activities to replace and test the K-36D should have started.

India looking to replace MB ejection seats on Tejas

The Indian Ambassador to Argentina, Dinesh Bhatia, met Brig General Xavier Isaac, Chief of the Argentinian Air Force, on August 30 to discuss “the amplification of bilateral engagement between the two strategic partners particularly Argentine acquisition of Tejas combat aircraft and helicopters manufactured by HAL (Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd).”

The Zvezda K-36 seat is fitted in MiG series and Sukhoi 30 MKIs fighter jets. The basic version of the Zvezda K-36 D was designed in the late 1960s to be fitted into the MiG-25 Foxbat aircraft, the swan song of the Soviet aircraft designer Mikhail Gurevich and famous for its Mach 3 speed and stratospheric sorties.

“A firm proposal has been given to the Argentinians. The work has already started on replacing the British components,” a HAL official told the EurAsian Times.

Argentinian Defense Minister Jorge Taiana, during his visit to India in July 2023, had flagged the issue of 16 British components in LCA. He set the requirement to replace these components due to the British embargo over arms sales to Argentina after the Falkland Wars.

To save the LCA Tejas deal from becoming a victim of British coercive diplomacy, the Russian K-36 seats will replace the Martin-Baker ejection seats. “We already have the seats available,” the HAL official pointed out. The HAL, manufacturing the Sukhoi SU-30 MKI under licensed production, has K-36 ejection seats.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
How can the range be low when the engine is highly fuel efficient and weight of plave is low compared to others in category.
That's a myth.. it's not. The thrust & fuel data was shared for Rd-33 & F-404 on BRF once.

Any plans for dual rack pylon in center ? Something like below
|--
90° configuration if space constraints is there .
View attachment 220588
A design is available for the MWF, but regular Tejas mk1 may not be able too fit it due to lower landing gear height. Naval version may be able to use it.

EtV00LHUYAAlQQM.jpeg

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
@Roland55

India is looking to replace the Martin Baker Mk16 ejection seat on the Tejas with the Zvezda K-36 for Argentina, as well as other British sourced parts. HAL already uses the K-36D for the Su-30MKI that is built locally. So the ground based activities to replace and test the K-36D should have started.

I've seen a news some days ago that a sell of old F16 from a european country to Argentina was agreed by USA.

Roland55

Country flag
@Roland55

I'm a bit confused about this news, AFAIK, the replacement cost of the seat change was to be paid by us, not India. And it comes in a time where there is a possible F-16 sale right around the corner...
Idk what to say :scared2:

DumbPilot

Country flag
I'm a bit confused about this news, AFAIK, the replacement cost of the seat change was to be paid by us, not India. And it comes in a time where there is a possible F-16 sale right around the corner...
One thing for sure, any purchase other than F-16 will ensure in potent results. The F-16 deal with the US is just a pile of junk

NutCracker

Country flag
I think those rumours are false.
Also I think I read quotation as 600m$ which is atrocious considering how economically we do things.

karn

Country flag
Not tejas, but we clearly used the JF-17, the Tejas came from the indian interest to form a partnership with us, thing that might happen in the future, but im not sure if it will happen with tejas.
Indeed ..if I was Argentina airforce I would wait for mk2 . Cause that could easily run strike missions to Islas Malvinas with only one drop tank :devil:.mk1 would need more drop tanks tho.

silverghost

Country flag
Indeed ..if I was Argentina airforce I would wait for mk2 . Cause that could easily run strike missions to Islas Malvinas with only one drop tank :devil:.mk1 would need more drop tanks tho.
It will also be more expensive. I am not sure Argentina could afford the same numbers of Mk2.

Pazhassiraja

Country flag
What was the type of radar present in the Tejas that tested the Astra missile? Was it MMR or ELTA2052 AESA? Also, is there any idea against which target it was tested? If the target interception happened at the max range, then we could have got some idea regarding the radar's range.

NutCracker

Country flag
What was the type of radar present in the Tejas that tested the Astra missile? Was it MMR or ELTA2052 AESA? Also, is there any idea against which target it was tested? If the target interception happened at the max range, then we could have got some idea regarding the radar's range.
These things seem to be way too confidential to be revealed.
Probably there is a reason why serial number of Tejas is hidden in some pictures.

kamaal

Country flag
First Astra was integrated with NM Bars, then MMR, then Zhuks and soon with Elta AESA and after five years may be with Uttam Aesa. I feel for those engineers who have to make unnecessary efforts just because of bad decision by the top leaders at IAF/ADA/HAL/MoD.

It's time to think like France, why they are using only one platform and yet have one of the strong air force.

Azaad

Country flag
First Astra was integrated with NM Bars, then MMR, then Zhuks and soon with Elta AESA and after five years may be with Uttam Aesa. I feel for those engineers who have to make unnecessary efforts just because of bad decision by the top leaders at IAF/ADA/HAL/MoD.

It's time to think like France, why they are using only one platform and yet have one of the strong air force.
How many peer AFs has France confronted since the end of WW-2 ? Therein lies your answer.

vishnugupt

Country flag
How many peer AFs has France confronted since the end of WW-2 ? Therein lies your answer.
I think he doesn’t mean French military records.

he meant to say intelligent airforce can use fewer type of Aircraft’s in different configurations. increasing commonality among aircrafts helps speed up further upgradation.

Just see the crazy variants of SU-27.

omaebakabaka

What strong airforce, they ran back to US after couple of weeks in Libya....France and England are loser countries now and in the past....without bitches that bootlicked back in colonial times including India they are no better or worse. Their ass got kicked in many battles across the world. Modern technology simply is not affordable by them without their colonial empires anymore and thats a fact

vin bharat mahan

Kumaoni, Uttarakhand
Country flag
I think he doesn’t mean French military records.

he meant to say intelligent airforce can use fewer type of Aircraft’s in different configurations. increasing commonality among aircrafts helps speed up further upgradation.

Just see the crazy variants of SU-27.
yeah...not believing in one type of aircraft in a air force. but 3 type should be perfect:-
1:- single engine light aircraft (like gripin e or tejas 2)..plz dont call them medium weight for god shake😂. lesser than 20000 kg weight.
2:- double engine medium weight (like rafale or eurofighter typhoon etc). lesser than 30000 kg weight.
3:- either heavy weight fighter (like su 30, f15 etc) or fifth or sixth generation fighter. lesser than 40000 kg weight.
thats enough. nd give variety also for different missions.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles