LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

skunk works

Country flag
I am not sure what juice you are drinking but Tejas is well received and deployed in Sulur does not mean it is not fit for combat. May be base logistics are not ready and may be they want to wait till the 1a....you are being ludicrous. Aircraft is actively taking part in airshows around the world. That's the whole point of having domestic one, you can choose to pace the deployment optimally assuming lobbyists influence can't reach the RM and PM, COAS level
The reason Tejas was not yet forward deployed was they were still developing combat tactics and doctrine for it. For a new airframe, that is a slow, grinding process.
Remember the Mig-21 arrived in 1962 but did not take part in combat until 1971.

And hey, I said 'was' because guess what?
India deploys Tejas aircraft on western front amid border tensions

singhboy98

Country flag
How far is Sulur from a combat zone? Any Tejas will need tobe refueled before it can be deployed on the front line so what then, is the purpose of stationing it so far away? Just think it through
I have been watching this cute back and forth between you and other members for some time now. Let me disabuse you of this one erroneous notion you are so stubbornly holding on to.

1.) Tejas Squadron (45th) Deployed on Western Front (back in 2020): https://www.aninews.in/news/nationa...tejas-deployed-on-western-front20200818143044

2.) Tejas Squadron (45th) Deployed on Eastern Front: https://idrw.org/iaf-to-deploy-lca-tejas-along-the-border/

LondonParisTokyo

Country flag
I have been watching this cute back and forth between you and other members for some time now. Let me disabuse you of this one erroneous notion you are so stubbornly holding on to.

1.) Tejas Squadron (45th) Deployed on Western Front (back in 2020): https://www.aninews.in/news/nationa...tejas-deployed-on-western-front20200818143044

2.) Tejas Squadron (45th) Deployed on Eastern Front: https://idrw.org/iaf-to-deploy-lca-tejas-along-the-border/
Maybe I am wrong, but I will hold skepticism until I see wholesale replacement of Mig 21

Roland55

Country flag
Wasnt one of the squadrons recently deployed to Uttar Pradesh?

Consolidating the infrastructure, training and equipment for an squadron to be in full operational status takes time (like they already said above, its not just the planes, a quite large number of people needs to be trained (not just mechanics), other equipment needs to be procured, maintenance jigs for engines, weapons loading trays...etc..etc.

This is a huuuge learning experience for india, it will probably "ease" simmilar works in upcoming programs.

karn

Country flag
The following modes are under testing
  1. High resolution imaging (SAR Mode)
  2. High resolution tracking (SAR Mode)
  3. GMTI on RBM, SAR
  4. DBS – Doppler Beam Sharpening
  5. Air-to-Sea
As per DDR they are moving ahead with limited production . They may or may not have finished all the modes.
The indigenous Uttam AESA has been fully flight-tested for all air to air, air to ground, weather & terrain avoidance/following modes. Following the successful completion of the baseline Uttam project, fire control radars (FCRs) derived from it are being progressed for the Tejas Mk1A, Tejas Mk2 and Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft Aircraft (AMCA) as a combined ‘mission mode’ programme given the commonality between them.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Maybe I am wrong, but I will hold skepticism until I see wholesale replacement of Mig 21
So earlier you were skeptical because Tejas Mk1A had not entered production yet. Now you will remain skeptical until it completely replaces MiG-21. Tomorrow maybe you will be skeptical that a Tejas shot down an F-16 in a dogfight because the F-16 crashed in Pakistan and they covered it up. Did you take classes in goalpost shifting from Air Force?

The following modes are under testing
  1. High resolution imaging (SAR Mode)
  2. High resolution tracking (SAR Mode)
  3. GMTI on RBM, SAR
  4. DBS – Doppler Beam Sharpening
  5. Air-to-Sea
This is old news. A2A was cleared long ago and then they started A2G modes testing and recently DDR announced all modes done, as @karn pointed out.

vidhwanshak

Country flag

Why didn't you post this earlier?:smash:

NutCracker

Country flag
I rarely post on DFI since the last general election concluded. I was waiting for on the regular contributors to bring this point up but when no one did I felt this line of argument had gone on long enough.
I had read about this but I dont trust IDRW , and also couldnt find ANI article.

vidhwanshak

Country flag
I rarely post on DFI since the last general election concluded. I was waiting for on the regular contributors to bring this point up but when no one did I felt this line of argument had gone on long enough.
I just wrote a few pages back that Tejas isn't being deployed on forward bases and how deploying them would boost their reputation.

Anways, if they are deployed on the western front and aren't there in Sulur that news is truly wonderful.

NutCracker

Country flag
SFC of RD93 with afterburner is 2.05 kg/kgh
SFC of GE F404 with afterburner is 0.78 kg/kgh
SFC of RD93 without afterburner is 0.77 kg/kgh
SFC of GE F404 without afterburner is 0.36 kg/kgh
Seems wrong, Way off..

Rd-93 dry --- 77 kg/knHour
Ge404 dry --- 81

Rd93wet --- 208
Ge404 wet ---174

Rd-93 slightly better at dry ,
but really high consumption at wet.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
About the engines.
It does not matter from where the engine comes, all of them will he highly suspectible to suspension in case of sour relation.
This is not the case of Typhoon or F 35 where the involved countries have multi dimensional cooperation agreement. Suspension of deal is not possible there.
You see India is an enigma, our prosperity directly threatens world order as it is, so we will always be a Pariah for the west.
The only solution is temporary stop gap purchases of engine with a well intended goal of indigenous sufficiency.
A relation between North America, Europe and Allies is not the same as relation with India, one would have to recognize this fact to make decision rooted in reality.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Seems wrong, Way off..

Rd-93 dry --- 77 kg/knHour
Ge404 dry --- 81

Rd93wet --- 208
Ge404 wet ---174

Rd-93 slightly better at dry ,
but really high consumption at wet.
I have stated the SFC of F404 GE-402. Difference in between 402, RM-12 and IN-20 is the air mass flow and pressure ratio. So you could say that the SFC of all three would be near about same with a little difference.

https://www.uecrus.com/eng/products/military_aviation/rd93/

You could get RD93 specs from this link.
You are stating the SFC of GE in pound opposed to kg in RD93.

sakalasiva

Country flag
A lot of western defense companies that indulge in kickbacks are atleast partly state owned (see: Westland Affair) so this is not an excuse for losing the contract.
HAL, the government of India, or LCA subcontractors were not born yesterday.
There is a difference between West and India. There they believe if Bin laden has been killed without showing deadbody. But here our opposition question balakot attack by our forces. If at all there is some kickback happens and info is little bit leaked also they will hunt HAL and Govt and tarnish the HAL such a way that HAL looses credibility in the world. So you can not take chances. Remember Rahul baba created national wide mess out of Rafale G to G deal.

Global Defence

Articles