LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
By the time last MK1a would be delivered, Serial production MK2 would be in the Jig.

IAF could order more Tejas MAX/Tejas trainer with UAV stuff though
Yup , no min order number for tejas Max aren't disclosed yet . So possibly we can see more tejas under a new role . But for point defence , 123 tejas is the final order .

arnab

Country flag
View attachment 128206

just post this screen shot it enough to close their mouths, they comparing years old ioc with foc variant , and if they still insist their 10 gen j7 blunder have no 1 qa, tell them yes they are the best in world and they order 11th gen hinges from amazon for their 10th gen thayara
its the photos from dubai alright...but i think the IAF cleverly sent the LSP testbed for IFR trials as a FOC fighter and kept that for static display...no wonder the PAF contingent were given access to its cockpit that easily! and i have said it mant times that the build quality of in service fighters are superb....but logic is something pakistanis are yet unaware of!

arnab

Country flag
I wonder if they'll order more with time passing.
i dont think they will...by the time they get a few mk1a sqaudrons, the MK2 will be certified for combat...IAF wudnt be settling for inferior mk1a if they can buy a better one that is as capable as anything in the enemy fleet, and reduces the burden of AMCA and SU30 MKI in the sohrt run...

Javelin_Sam

Country flag
Updates on Mk1 and Mk1a

On mk1 FOC
The IAF has cleared the “final operational certification” (FOC) for the Mark I fighter, even though that involved granting 25 concessions – or performance shortfalls from the IAF’s specified requirements. HAL, ADA and the IAF are working together to resolve these shortfalls.

Twelve issues have already been resolved, the most important one being: Equipping the Tejas to re-fuel in-flight, by day or night. In recent trials at Gwalior, the Tejas proved it could refuel into internal fuel tanks or external drop tanks, from IL-78 refuellers or from Sukhoi-30MKI acting as “buddy refuellers.” This capability is operationally vital, since it effectively increases the range of the Tejas.

Another shortfall that has been resolved is the capability to monitor fuel levels in the Tejas through an integrated Environmental Control and Fuel Management (ECFM) system. This tells the pilot, via a smart multi-function display in the Tejas’ glass cockpit, the fuel level in each of the tanks.

Also being proved is the firing of the Tejas Mark 1’s Gasha 23 mm gun. The gun had been integrated onto the fighter, but live firing was pending. Now butt firing trials and air-to-air firing is being carried out in Nashik.

The 13 shortfalls that still remain include fatigue tests to establish the fighter’s service life span. These tests involve taking an aircraft from the production line and subjecting it to repetitive loading. All combat aircraft are initially released with a designated service life – 500 hours in the case of the LCA. As more and more hours are logged and the data accumulates, the manufacturer increases the designated lifespan proportionately. It takes about nine years of fatigue testing to establish 3,000 hours of service life of the aircraft.

Waiting to be integrated onto the Tejas is the indigenous Astra air-to-air missile and Safran’s Highly Agile Modular Munition Extended Range (HAMMER) air-to-ground bomb. Towards this, HAL does the mechanical and electrical integration, while the DRDO handles the software and the weapons algorithm.

On mk1a that will address further given concessions to FOC

While these capabilities are being tested on the Tejas Mark 1, the Mark 1A is being fitted with an active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar, an electronic warfare (EW) suite that includes a jammer, the Combined Interrogator and Transponder (CIT) – an IFF plus system – and a digital map generator.
The digital map generator, designed by HAL’s MCSR&DC (Mission and Combat Systems R&D Centre), carries the complete map data of the country and neighbouring areas. Depending upon the Tejas’ mission, it extracts the digitised map of the current mission area and transfers it to the pilots’ display, where he can easily access it.
HAL is also integrating the Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missile (ASRAAM) onto the Mark 1A. The ASRAAM, which has a range of 60-70 kilometres was bought by the IAF from MBDA UK, for upgrading its Jaguar fighters. Now each Tejas too will carry two of these missiles on its outboard stations.

Another modification involves reshaping the cockpit floor to enable bigger pilots – with shoe size up to 10, which includes 95 per cent of all IAF pilots – to fit into the cockpit and fly the aircraft comfortably.

“The IAF has allotted HAL a Tejas Mark 1, numbered SP-25 (series production aircraft number 25), for integrating these modifications. We are almost through and will start flight testing in December. It will take about two years to complete flight testing, i.e., by end-2023,” said HAL chairman, R Madhavan

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Sorry but you are clutching at straws.

In his first official PC as CAS which has prepared scripts run past his senior staff he failed to mention the LCA MK.2 even once, this trend continued until that ANI video, even there he didn't mention any numbers, timelines etc.

He has consistently mentioned 114 MRFA.

And you are avoiding the elephant in the room- the 35 SQN figure for the 2030s

Tell me how the LCA MK.2 can fit into that number with the 123 LCAs, 270 SU-30s, 100+ Mirage 2K/MiG-29UPG/Jag Darin 3 and 1-2 squadrons of AMCA already there? It's either LCA MK.2 or MRFA to make up the remaining 7-8 SQNs, can't have both.

IAF has made their choice, the slow death of LCA MK.2 begins now.

Two trends are evident- IAF is VERY focused on the MRFA, they clearly aren't interested in LCA MK.2

+ stop using MWF- the IAF forced ADA t revert to LCA MK.2 they were so concerned about the optics of going for MRFA if the LCA MK.2 was being referred to as the Medium weight fighter.
IAF chief accepted CDR of tejas mk 2, opening up production of prototypes and testing. Still dont believe IAF will induct it?

IndianHawk

Country flag
What do i say to this dude? We are talking abour Tejas MK1a

View attachment 128415
Tell that idiot that mk1 itself is far better equipped than mig21 it had to replace even 5 years ago.

And that all mk1 will eventually be converted later to mk1a. So iaf could have ordered more mk1 to replace mig21 early on.

And then stop debating with that idiot.

Roland55

Country flag
Well, 2 stills from HT, the first its just the 6 FOC that we alll saw, but i added the serials (seen in vid) to get an idea of what planes are close to being done (remember that this is from some time ago)

And then there is this, LSP-6! i guess this is supposed to be related to Mk.1A?

I have to say, Hamara Tejas gives quite the great insight about the program. Lets hope the remaining 9 FOC depart Bangalore Soon!

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
What do i say to this dude? We are talking abour Tejas MK1a

View attachment 128415
These are all wrong, typical shitposting. Economic reasons mostly. A price drop to below 50k crores. HAL cut its profit on Tejas Mark1A deal by 50%, post of the addition spares were top be seperate.

Like that, technical ironings took time.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Well, 2 stills from HT, the first its just the 6 FOC that we alll saw, but i added the serials (seen in vid) to get an idea of what planes are close to being done (remember that this is from some time ago)

And then there is this, LSP-6! i guess this is supposed to be related to Mk.1A?

I have to say, Hamara Tejas gives quite the great insight about the program. Lets hope the remaining 9 FOC depart Bangalore Soon!
U have done quite a lot of time investment here , nice job mate

MirageBlue

Country flag
View attachment 128177
I was rewatching HT today and i noticed this...SPT?, Series Production....Trainer :eek1: ???
Yes there are 6 twin seaters under various stages of construction. Better not to call them trainers as they are fully combat capable with the same systems duplicated from the single seater. Only difference is a missing fuel tank behind the single seater cockpit and the additional ejection seat and cockpit avionics for the rear seat.

MirageBlue

Country flag
View attachment 128198
If that is true then how did the IOC fighters get to DWC (Al-Makhtoum) without in flight refueling? It means the Tejas has looong legs.
Tejas Mk1 ferry range is upwards of 2700 km, as confirmed by Grp Cpt HV Thakur. But ferry range profiles are basically the following:

- Take off
- Climb to cruising altitude
- Maintain cruising altitude as far as possible
- Approach to land
- Land

There's minimum of maneuvering or Afterburner usage that will consume lots of fuel. No payload apart from drop tanks either.

MirageBlue

Country flag
3000hs is the total maximun service life of the tejas?
Until the full fatigue tests are conducted, it is going to be considered as a minimum of 3000 hours. However, it is almost for sure that the total service life will exceed 6000 hours, given the extensive use of composites in the airframe. The designers have also been more conservative in their design, keeping higher margins in primary structures, which led to the higher than targeted empty weight. But that will stand good stead when it comes to fatigue life.

Just FYI, 3000 hours was the minimum fatigue life stipulated by the IAF in the Air Staff Qualitative Requirements. Hence, it is the minimum service life target to be met.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles