LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Spitfire9

Country flag
Those are just Washington DC think tank talking points, in 10-15 years the US isn't going to play as nice with India as they are today

As soon as India starts to pose a threat to their $$$ they will hamper such efforts
IIRC US stopped SAAB offering Viggen to India. Would they block F404 in the same way now?

If only India had put the resources into getting Kaveri to work, the question would not arise.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Those are just Washington DC think tank talking points, in 10-15 years the US isn't going to play as nice with India as they are today

As soon as India starts to pose a threat to their $$$ they will hamper such efforts
China would be twice as big as usa economy by then. So either usa shares the influence with india or plays second fiddle to china .

abingdonboy

Country flag
China would be twice as big as usa economy by then. So either usa shares the influence with india or plays second fiddle to china .
In nominal terms? No way. China won't dethrone the US until the 2040s by projections but I doubt that'll happen anyway, China is in for some economic shocks, they are running on fumes like the USSR.

abingdonboy

Country flag
IIRC US stopped SAAB offering Viggen to India. Would they block F404 in the same way now?

If only India had put the resources into getting Kaveri to work, the question would not arise.
Yes Kaveri would help immensely but people make out this was a missed opportunity rather it's a huge challenge that only a handful of nations can manage as of today. Kaveri will one day power Indian aircraft and there will be a 110KN JV engine for others.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Yes Kaveri would help immensely but people make out this was a missed opportunity rather it's a huge challenge that only a handful of nations can manage as of today. Kaveri will one day power Indian aircraft and there will be a 110KN JV engine for others.
India took on the challenge of making Kaveri to power Tejas. The idea was not to learn a bit about making an engine. It was to make an engine to power Tejas. With foreign consultancy help and more funds invested into GTRE an Indian engine for Tejas was possible IMO.

Spending hundreds of millions of dollars on something that does not work when, to be realistic, far more was needed is stupid and a lost opportunity to me.

no smoking

Country flag
In nominal terms? No way. China won't dethrone the US until the 2040s by projections but I doubt that'll happen anyway,
Whose projection?
The only projection that Chinese ever made publicly was in 1990s: GDP per capita would reach $10000 USD in 2050.

China is in for some economic shocks, they are running on fumes like the USSR.
When ever did USSR become world No.1 trader?
When ever was USSR enjoying No.1 trade surplus?
USSR was never built to be part of world trading system, you are comparing apple to orange.
God knows how many economic crisis did US experience before she became world No.1 economy.
It is quite natural for China to walk in some economic crisis, it is not her first crisis since 1978, it won't be the last one.

Tang

Country flag
India took on the challenge of making Kaveri to power Tejas. The idea was not to learn a bit about making an engine. It was to make an engine to power Tejas. With foreign consultancy help and more funds invested into GTRE an Indian engine for Tejas was possible IMO.

Spending hundreds of millions of dollars on something that does not work when, to be realistic, far more was needed is stupid and a lost opportunity to me.
Kaveri project is not dead, dry kaveri will go for certification soon.

IndianHawk

Country flag
In nominal terms? No way. China won't dethrone the US until the 2040s by projections but I doubt that'll happen anyway, China is in for some economic shocks, they are running on fumes like the USSR.
Nominal terms have no bearing on national power. It's just a tool to make small europian countries feel bigger then they actually are.

PPP is the correct measure for national strength as china doesn't depend much on military imports. ( India also getting there fast).

IndianHawk

Country flag
Whose projection?
The only projection that Chinese ever made publicly was in 1990s: GDP per capita would reach $10000 USD in 2050.

When ever did USSR become world No.1 trader?
When ever was USSR enjoying No.1 trade surplus?
USSR was never built to be part of world trading system, you are comparing apple to orange.
God knows how many economic crisis did US experience before she became world No.1 economy.
It is quite natural for China to walk in some economic crisis, it is not her first crisis since 1978, it won't be the last one.
Chinese destiny is sealed with demographic disaster. It will either have a become a nation of immigrants or end up in a never ending stagnation like japan.

IndianHawk

Country flag
That video confirms that HAL is now all geared up to increase the Tejas Mk1/Mk1A production rate to 20 fighters per year.
More importantly all the suppliers vendors of lca program will create a huge lobby which will demand more and more orders. So mk2 program will also be secured.

We will have a huge pressure group of industries which will support lca program.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Anyone here thinks India supplying Tejas to Argentina is a good idea when Britishers will be naturally against it ?
If you're asking me personally, I'd say yes. Brilliant chance to increase some Burnol sales in London. Especially now that HAL has assured it can replace components of British origin.

But I remember your argument being that we should avoid a chance of bad publicity (like in Dhruv Mk1) in case of Tejas.

IndianHawk

Country flag
If you're asking me personally, I'd say yes. Brilliant chance to increase some Burnol sales in London. Especially now that HAL has assured it can replace components of British origin.

But I remember your argument being that we should avoid a chance of bad publicity (like in Dhruv Mk1) in case of Tejas.
If Chinese cared about bad publisity they wouldn't export a thing. They were but of global jokes and now they are no. 1 exporter.

Even japanese products were ridiculed at a time before they became synonyms with quality .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles