LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

The Maverick

Country flag
It's criminal the state of air force .
It's so obvious what is needed
Immediate order for mark 1a and another 40 rafale order as interim order
And then massive investment in mark 2 and Amca as a national. Emergency
China is looking to humiliate us and put us in place and the porkistamis are egging them.to do this .
We need to be on war footing
I hate our typical pacifist babbu mindset
We need leaders with courage and decisive decision makers

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Our soon-to-be-Mark1A LSP-8 carrying Derby missiles with no forward control fins!..
Is that even possible? Won't that completely change the flight characteristics of the missile? I think it is just removed for some testing/dummy flight purposes.

After thinking about it, no forward flight control fins will mean no glide capability for Derby (BVRs glide on their initial booster speed for the majority of the flight), and it will probably fall straight to the ground after booster burnout is completed.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
We should have perfected the engine technology and the onboard mission computer rest everything else could have been imported before getting replaced by our own indigenous ones

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Is that even possible? Won't that completely change the flight characteristics of the missile? I think it is just removed for some testing/dummy flight purposes.

After thinking about it, no forward flight control fins will mean no glide capability for Derby (BVRs glide on their initial booster speed for the majority of the flight), and it will probably fall straight to the ground after booster burnout is completed.
🤷‍♂️ Possibly they were testing that only.
Maybe they did something like this to Python-5 as @Flying Dagger was wondering how it could be back after having flutter issues.

I doubt about the falling to the ground but the most missiles fly on their initial boost. ASRAAM don't fall to the ground because it don't have forward feels like R-73

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
🤷‍♂️ Possibly they were testing that only.
Maybe they did something like this to Python-5 as @Flying Dagger was wondering how it could be back after having flutter issues.

I doubt about the falling to the ground but the most missiles fly on their initial boost. ASRAAM don't fall to the ground because it don't have forward feels like R-73
Python-5 is back? That's news to me 🙂 Any pictures/news source of Python-5 on Indian jet?

But removing fins from Python-5 makes even less sense since Python-5 relies on its large amount of fin area to maneuver rather than thrust vectoring (case for R-73, ASRAAM & AIM-9X). Plucking the fins of Python will just make it a straight arrow.

BVR missiles are generally propelled to very high Mach numbers (> 4) by initial boosters and glide down to their targets. Notice that all BVR missiles have some kind of "wing", or minimal lift surface to keep them in air.

However, derby removing front fins will mean back-fins have to compensate for the torque generated by the frontal part of the missile weight around its center-of-mass. Understand it as its center-of-lift will be way-way away from its center-of-mass and will need to provide enough force to keep the missile balanced. Otherwise, it will become unstable.

WVR missiles just change directions using thrust vectoring.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
DRDO was developing a dry engine for Jaguars
Dry engine can not work except it is of 45 KN power which is an afterburner thrust requirement. This will be a 60pc rise in dry thrust of Jaguar from 27 kn to 45. Naturally, engine size will become bigger whch may not be accommodated in same space. What HAL may be trying is an afterburner variant of HTFE 25 with afterburner power between somewhere 40 to 45 KN.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I don’t know why DRDO ADA HAL etc decided to bite more than they can chew
they should have focused on developing an engine only
the 2nd step should have been the Radars
Next mission computer and so on
instead of trying to develop a whole new aircraft and end up importing different systems and subsystems from ourtsude because indigenous ones are not ready
How many of you agree that These public and private sector units should unite and focus on engine development as the first priority

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I don’t know why DRDO ADA HAL etc decided to bite more than they can chew
they should have focused on developing an engine only
the 2nd step should have been the Radars
Next mission computer and so on
instead of trying to develop a whole new aircraft and end up importing different systems and subsystems from ourtsude because indigenous ones are not ready
How many of you agree that These public and private sector units should unite and focus on engine development as the first priority
Nah..

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
We are wasting money on these multiple projects better focus on engines and upgrade the engines in Su30mki , mig29 , Jaguars , Tejas and Rafale(after 10 years ) with our indigenous ones
Why not actual tech improvements?..

porky_kicker

Country flag
Our soon-to-be-Mark1A LSP-8 carrying Derby missiles with no forward control fins!..

The missile on the left side without fins could be a dummy " generic " missile or best guess a dummy ASRAAM .

I highly doubt derby design configuration has been changed . No OEM will do that because it is going to be very expensive and quite time consuming . It doesn't make any sense. Nor will the python 5 existing design configuration will be changed . At most they will change the pylon position ( increase height ) with respect to wing so the python does not interact adversely with the wind flow of the wing . If it doesn't work python will be discarded.

Last edited:

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Why not actual tech improvements?..
That’s what I am saying unfortunately we don’t have funds for everything so we should focus on one thing and move step by step taking small steps
we should follow the Iranian model they are focused on engine development and despite being much smaller than India and resource constrained country with negligible experience in Engine tech (compared to India) they’re close to develop a working turbofan engine

Dessert Storm

Country flag
That’s what I am saying unfortunately we don’t have funds for everything so we should focus one thing and move step by step taking small steps
we should follow the Iranian model they are focused on engine development and despite being much smaller than India and resource constrained country with negligible experience in Engine tech (compared to India) they’re close to develop a working turbofan engine
Generating a thrust of?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
That’s what I am saying unfortunately we don’t have funds for everything so we should focus on one thing and move step by step taking small steps
So? Why engines instead of AESA?.. Or EW?

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
So? Why engines instead of AESA?.. Or EW?
AESA is almost finished the UTTAM AESA is almost ready btw I am saying we should focus on one thing at a time and Channelise the funds to that particular project not on multiple projects our engine program was poorly funded but we spent billions on upgrading our fleet with new engines

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles