LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
If it is from 45th, then great news!
May not be fully FOC but their IOC jets getting BVR capable instead, or in process of recieving full software update... If IOC-FOC difference is indeed just upgraded weapons & flight software (other than the refueling-probe ofcourse) then this could be FOC as well.

You understand i'is impossible to be 100% certain.
The poster from brf says it's from flying daggers...... which operates ioc aircraft s

ObiWanKenobi

Country flag
This way of thinking is what is forever holding the Indian back. "It is this, but not that". Modular and incremental change happens over time. You have to crawl before you can walk. Walk before you can run. Run before you can swim. India wants to go from the womb to swimming with no intermediary steps. I just posted somewhere else, many Western engineering firms have extremely talented Indian-born engineers. How these people aren't bolstering Indian defense is mind boggingly crazy. Why projects get stuck in India makes no sense.
I was one of those Indian engineers you might argue, I worked for a western company in UK on unmanned stealth systems. I would any day drop that job and join an Indian effort.

But this option doesn't exist. HAL/DRDO will not hire me. They only recruit through GATE like examinations at junior level - senior posts are already reserved for their own folks whether they are any good or not. Nobody with years of experience working in the west, earning top dollar, is going to come and sit a bloody GATE exam. Typical sarkari HR policies.

airtel

Country flag
I was one of those Indian engineers you might argue, I worked for a western company in UK on unmanned stealth systems. I would any day drop that job and join an Indian effort.

But this option doesn't exist. HAL/DRDO will not hire me. They only recruit through GATE like examinations at junior level - senior posts are already reserved for their own folks whether they are any good or not. Nobody with years of experience working in the west, earning top dollar, is going to come and sit a bloody GATE exam. Typical sarkari HR policies.
And who told you that ??
Did father of Indian nuclear program sit for Gate type exam of applied for junior positions in DRDO ?

You are misinformed , The main Indian institutions for research are IISC Banglore and various IITs .

If you have qualifications ( like PHD from renowned Universities and relevant work experience ) .
You can get job of professor in IISC or IITs and then can do research with the help of government facilities .
Infact IISC and IITs prefer candidates who have obtained PHDs from top Universities of the world.

ObiWanKenobi

Country flag
And who told you that ??
Did father of Indian nuclear program sit for Gate type exam of applied for junior positions in DRDO ?

You are misinformed , The main Indian institutions for research are IISC Banglore and various IITs .

If you have qualifications ( like PHD from renowned Universities and relevant work experience ) .
You can get job of professor in IISC or IITs and then can do research with the help of government facilities .
Infact IISC and IITs prefer candidates who have obtained PHDs from top Universities of the world.
IITs and IISC yes, academia. Not in DRDO or HAL. Also, Homi Bhabha was given that job (head of our entire nuclear program when none existed) directly by Nehru - just like Nandan Nilekani was appointed UID chairman by MMS - these are direct one -off appointments. Thats a different ballgame, also its in an era when things were a lot more open. There is still no route for people from outside government to join at senior levels, whether they have a PhD from Harvard and 10 years of experience or not.

Also, please don't call someone misinformed when you don't know jack about their experience.

Tang

Country flag

Actually GATE is for entry-level position(Scientist-B), for Scientist C position - someone with 3 years of industrial exp (or Mtech with good score) can apply.

Lateral Entry
Recruitment of Scientists in middle & senior grades (Scientist 'C' to Scientist 'H') based on qualification and experience in specialized fields relevant to DRDO is covered under this category of recruitment. RAC issues advertisement from time to time through RAC and DRDO websites & "The Employment News" to meet the requirement of scientific manpower having specialized experience in areas of interest to DRDO.

The advertisement also includes Scientist 'B' posts in scientific and engineering subjects of relevance to DRDO, which are not covered under Scientist Entry Test (SET). These advertisements are issued during the second and last quarter of the calendar year.

The candidates under this category of selection need not have to appear for the written test. The candidates are short-listed for interview based on their academic merit. The selection of scientists is based on their performance ranking in the selection interviews.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Maintainance is included iirc. Spares too. Weapons may not be included of course .

Also infrastructure wise lca can directly fit into hardened shelter built for mig21 thus saving huge amount of money in construction of the same.

In fact mwf may also move into same shelters easily.
Why the fall in price

The big fall in price from an estimated Rs 50,000 crore to just about Rs 37,000 crore is a direct result of a juggling exercise by the IAF, which cut down on its demand list, including spares, logistics support and other issues.
https://theprint.in/theprint-essent...0-fighter-jets-to-take-to-sky-by-2022/383730/

IndianHawk

Country flag

IndianHawk

Country flag
I don't think.
Rafale is offered with a 70% disponibility for 5 years. Nothing like that for Tejas.
There is no special deal for Tejas Weaponry, so in your 5.2 billion there is nothing like that.
IAF signs all contacts now with Performance based logistics. So it's also their for lca. Along with all mk1 weaponry.

Chinmoy

Country flag
It reduced the provision but they are still included albeit in less quantity. Means less spares because iaf can now purchase more of them as revenue budget instead of capital budget.

Also, the HAL was directed to cut down its earlier projected profit of 12 per cent to a little over 6 per cent.

So it's a combination of cuts.
Actually not. Previously HAL has quoted the price which include infra buildup at bases along with spares and man power deployment.
But later on under the revised quote, HAL would not undertake any infra buildup and man power deployment. These would be taken care by IAF alone. Spares for Tejas too would come under separate tender in mean time.

vishnugupt

Country flag
I bet not. If these start going to LAC, how will Russia sell 12 Su-30 to India at 10,000 Cr+ of Tax payers money?
I don't support import ( few exceptions ) and I firmly believe, present "door to door begging situation" mostly attributed to our Armed forces which failed to priorities their needs. Same sets of jets were offered years back ( HAL even cried for) but our Cry baby was high on Rafale weed
But present standoff at LAC is dangerous and could last longer, maybe years so we must prepare ourselves by all necessary means ( Bring, borrow, steal ) because the condition can deteriorate any time.
I never doubted our foot soldiers but the hierarchy of armed forces seems to fight only in Papers by comparing numbers

rohit b3

Country flag
I don't support import ( few exceptions ) and I firmly believe, present "door to door begging situation" mostly attributed to our Armed forces which failed to priorities their needs. Same sets of jets were offered years back ( HAL even cried for) but our Cry baby was high on Rafale weed
But present standoff at LAC is dangerous and could last longer, maybe years so we must prepare ourselves by all necessary means ( Bring, borrow, steal ) because the condition can deteriorate any time.
I never doubted our foot soldiers but the hierarchy of armed forces seems to fight only in Papers by comparing numbers
First priority should be getting the Tejas IOC combat ready and pushing to LAC.
Second should be to sign the contract of 83 Tejas mk1A . This will ensure faster production of the existing order of Tejas mk1
And if after all this still there is a need, go for imports.

arkos

Country flag
So this was my conversation with HVT just now on fb

Me : Sir, any idea why Tejas Flying Daggers and Flying Bullets not being pushed at LAC and instead overpriced Su-30/Mig29s re being approved?

HVT : No

He seems equally clueless..
Both Mig 29 and MKI are far better than Tejas. Stop this stupid rant.

rohit b3

Country flag
If you would have said that for existing models of Su-30MKI vs Tejas , it would have made some sense...but comparing Mig29 to Tejas...lol, no comments and i dont wanna get into such arguments either.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Mig29 are su30 mki are better as they can carry more weapons....
Any other reason s.....
Tejas mk1 will replace mig21 bis and mig27.......and neither su30mki will replace Tejas ..nor Tejas will replace su30 mki
...........and if war with China happen s....you will see Tejas in action..... either in eastern front or in western front....

Bdw why some people says Tejas is not deployable at boarder. Then why iaf bought those 40 costly jets..........

People also forget in gaganshakti exercise iaf used hawk ajt s in ground attack role.......
Tejas is way better than this.

vishnugupt

Country flag
First priority should be getting the Tejas IOC combat ready and pushing to LAC.
Second should be to sign the contract of 83 Tejas mk1A . This will ensure faster production of the existing order of Tejas mk1
And if after all this still there is a need, go for imports.
Tejas is combat-ready otherwise what does IOC or FOC means ?? Don't trap yourself in these fancy words. There could be Optimization or familiarization for better use in combat.
Tejas Mk1a could have been signed much earlier but there is a risk of IAF might loose the "Imported Air Force" title. :lol:

Please don't fight on Papers every jet has its own advantage and role. and we should leave this decision to IAF.
By deploying all aircraft at LAC might cause further escalation or meet with counter deployments.
Or maybe, there is an "Import season" going on so Keep LCA under low profile (less likely)

airtel

Country flag

IITs and IISC yes, academia. Not in DRDO or HAL. Also, Homi Bhabha was given that job (head of our entire nuclear program when none existed) directly by Nehru - just like Nandan Nilekani was appointed UID chairman by MMS - these are direct one -off appointments. Thats a different ballgame, also its in an era when things were a lot more open. There is still no route for people from outside government to join at senior levels, whether they have a PhD from Harvard and 10 years of experience or not.

Also, please don't call someone misinformed when you don't know jack about their experience.
Then What should I call a person who is misinformed ?😄😆

IISc Banglore is the best institution in India for research .
Gate exam is for entry level positions aka (scientist B ) , but Indian organizations directly hire even scientist H+ level posts .

Here is requirement advertisment of DRDO for scientist E level posts .

Recent example vacancy in NTRO for H level scientist ( last date to apply is July 16 )

If you think that a person with 20+ years of quality work experience in (NASA or Lockheed Martin )and qualifications like PHD in relevant fields would be forced to appear for scientist B level jobs then your are seriously " Misinformed " .:daru:

Next time please read the official notifications before blabbering like an idiot .

Last edited:

rohit b3

Country flag
Tejas is combat-ready otherwise what does IOC or FOC means ?? Don't trap yourself in these fancy words. There could be Optimization or familiarization for better use in combat.
Tejas Mk1a could have been signed much earlier but there is a risk of IAF might loose the "Imported Air Force" title. :lol:
I meant The Flying Dagger Squadron which is yet to be upgraded to FOC config.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles