LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Akula

Country flag
I have a question regarding Tejas’s A2G weaponry.
@porky_kicker @Karthi @Chinmoy @IndianHawk

While ground-attack has been recognised as its greatest strength, atleast where it is ahead of everything else in IAF, I have never seen it with anything other than strike package... HSLD or LGB or ASM is meant for large static targets like fuel/ammo depot, supply convoy, logistics & infra.
But does it have any small sized precision weapons like, anti-infantry cluster bombs & anti-tank sensor fused warheads?.. Or even those unguided rocket pods?

J-Max has some interesting options, are these tech available or conceptual?
D1H4fusUYAIY3Eb.jpeg
All of them are available

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
All of them are available
???

I know that we definitely don't yet have any swarm drone warheads, nor smart A2G standoff missile, nor Brahmos-NG. Spice & Sudarshan are available. SAAW still not fully cleared for operations.
I'm fairly sure Tejas cant launch Harpoon & Kh-31 either.

Frankly speaking, I have never seen anything but dumb bombs & LGBs on Tejas... Except this old mockup;
IMG_20200608_103618.jpg

Last edited:

Karthi

Country flag
???

I know that we definitely don't yet have any swarm drone warheads, nor smart A2G standoff missile, nor Brahmos-NG. Spice & Sudarshan are available. SAAW still not fully cleared for operations.
I'm fairly sure Tejas cant launch Harpoon & Kh-31 either.

Frankly speaking, I have never seen anything but dumb bombs & LGBs on Tejas... Except this old mockup;
View attachment 49590

weapons.jpg

Almost all kind of Bombs and LGBs developed by DRDO and procured by IAF can be used in Tejas , if it's aerodynamics allow . As far as I know Tejas software unlocked For integrating Including Meteor . I don't.have any official sources to give . We can update LCA software when ever we needed.to integrate anything new . Unlike in migs and Su 30 We don't need any ones permission , Tejas can also control Unmanned Wingmans when ever it is available .

MK1A using Israeli BNET SDR we can customise it for controlling and connecting various Radars , Ships and other UAV platforms.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I have a question regarding Tejas’s A2G weaponry.
@porky_kicker @Karthi @Chinmoy @IndianHawk

While ground-attack has been recognised as its greatest strength, atleast where it is ahead of everything else in IAF, I have never seen it with anything other than strike package... HSLD or LGB or ASM is meant for large static targets like fuel/ammo depot, supply convoy, logistics & infra.
But does it have any small sized precision weapons like, anti-infantry cluster bombs & anti-tank sensor fused warheads?.. Or even those unguided rocket pods?

J-Max has some interesting options, are these tech available or conceptual?
D1H4fusUYAIY3Eb.jpeg
If you are talking about tests, then NO. Apart from R-73, Derby, LGB, and Dumb bombs, we have not yet tested any other weapon package from Tejas. The projected indigenous weapon systems like SAAW and AShM are still in developmental phase. Astra has been going through taxi trials.

So now you could see why the 83 jets deal is also not been signed yet.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
The Grand plans seems to be:-

Production of LCA Mark 1A Service Ready Aircraft between 2023 to 2028 (83)

LCA Mark 2 Between 2028 to 2033 (125)

TDEF/ORCA Between 2033 to 2038 (180)

AMCA Between 2038 to 2045 (250)

Apart from Wingman, Ghatak, HALE turboprop, HALE turbofan from say, 2030 onwards

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Almost all kind of Bombs and LGBs developed by DRDO and procured by IAF can be used in Tejas , if it's aerodynamics allow
If you are talking about tests, then NO. Apart from R-73, Derby, LGB, and Dumb bombs, we have not yet tested any other weapon package from Tejas.
Any idea why have we never had any Tejas flying with them?

Back in the day they used to display a Tejas with RBK-500 clusterbomb, OFAB-100/120, S-8 rockets etc.
Should be matter of weeks integrating such simple systems!.. You need the cheap crap too, especially if your strength is CAS.
16124830.jpg

And one thing that we should copy from JunkFighter-17 Blunder is dual rack BVR/bombs in midboard/centerline pylons.
16124830.jpg

Last edited:

aerokan

Country flag
If you are talking about tests, then NO. Apart from R-73, Derby, LGB, and Dumb bombs, we have not yet tested any other weapon package from Tejas. The projected indigenous weapon systems like SAAW and AShM are still in developmental phase. Astra has been going through taxi trials.

So all the fighter jet deals of IAF till date has every possible weapon integrated before signing?

Chinmoy

Country flag
So all the fighter jet deals of IAF till date has every possible weapon integrated before signing?
Yes. Before signing the deal for aircraft, the detail weapon package it could carry gets discussed and strategy gets formed.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Back in the day they used to display a Tejas with RBK-500 clusterbomb, OFAB-100/120, S-8 rockets etc.
Should be matter of weeks integrating such simple systems!.. You need the cheap crap too, especially if your strength is CAS.
When lca regularly carries 1000pound bombs . It naturally can carry ofab 100/120. What's the point of showing them.

Rockets are helicopter territory now. No modern jet is going to fire rockets that close and risk getting manpad attacked. But once sant type long range atgm are ready it might carry them .

Prototypes are testing lots of things concurrently. First order is to get most sophisticated integration done. Smaller simple ammunition is no problem .

IndianHawk

Country flag

Those Astra taxi trails are going for a long time now. Hopefully we can see a live test fire soon.

aerokan

Country flag
Yes. Before signing the deal for aircraft, the detail weapon package it could carry gets discussed and strategy gets formed.
Let me repeat the question once again.. were ALL weapons have to be INTEGRATED or TESTED before the deal is signed? And not just DISCUSSED or strategy FORMED!!

What i meant to ask is whether IAF signed the deal only after every weapons platform is tested for all the previous deals ?... Please be less masterful and just answer it straight without any deflections.

Once that question is answered straight, i can ask the next question why the discussion hasn't happened for 4 years for Tejas and if it already happened, then why the signing hasn't happened already for 83 jets as per your explanation.

If you come up with another bureaucratic explanation like the last time (which i didn't reply to).. the next question would be why it applies only to Tejas and not to any of the Russian and French planes that we imported. :hmm:

Chinmoy

Country flag
Let me repeat the question once again.. were ALL weapons have to be INTEGRATED or TESTED before the deal is signed? And not just DISCUSSED or strategy FORMED!!

What i meant to ask is whether IAF signed the deal only after every weapons platform is tested for all the previous deals ?... Please be less masterful and just answer it straight without any deflections.

Once that question is answered straight, i can ask the next question why the discussion hasn't happened for 4 years for Tejas and if it already happened, then why the signing hasn't happened already for 83 jets as per your explanation.

If you come up with another bureaucratic explanation like the last time (which i didn't reply to).. the next question would be why it applies only to Tejas and not to any of the Russian and French planes that we imported. :hmm:
Yes. All the jets goes through weapon fire test by IAF before any deal is signed. Every jet we purchase comes with its own specific weapon package. For everything else to make a khichdi we have to return back to OEM for integration with a hefty sum payment. Look at the recent Rafale case. It is coming up with its own weapon package. Similarly Su-30 came with it s own weapon package just like the Migs.
This particular thought of yours that we integrate Russian and French jets without weapon tests is pure fantasy.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Those Astra taxi trails are going for a long time now. Hopefully we can see a live test fire soon.
After Taxi trial there would be captive flight trial. Only after that there would be firing trial which again would mean software tweak. After that there would be extensive user firing trial. So Astra could be integrated with Tejas one year down the line minimum.
Hope it doesn't face the same problem as Python in flight trial.

IndianHawk

Country flag
After Taxi trial there would be captive flight trial. Only after that there would be firing trial which again would mean software tweak. After that there would be extensive user firing trial. So Astra could be integrated with Tejas one year down the line minimum.
Hope it doesn't face the same problem as Python in flight trial.
It only faced problem with python. Integration of derby and r73 was smooth. So Astra integration should be fine.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
When lca regularly carries 1000pound bombs . It naturally can carry ofab 100/120. What's the point of showing them.
I know it can carry the OFAB-120 (8-10 easily) just that it always seems to use larger bombs in only pair or 4 max, even while simulating CAS in exercises.
Dzn6WFsWkAAtI3m.jpeg

Only small munitions I have seen it carry are these. Are those anti-personel?.. Or some practice dummies?
LCA.jpg

IndianHawk

Country flag
I know it can carry the OFAB-120 (8-10 easily) just that it always seems to use larger bombs in only pair or 4 max, even while simulating CAS in exercises. View attachment 49611
Only small munitions I have seen it carry are these. Are those anti-personel?.. Or some practice dummies?
View attachment 49613
Look like practice kit. Not sure though. I'm not really knowledgeable about bombs.

Karthi

Country flag
Any idea why have we never had any Tejas flying with them?

View attachment 49604

And one thing that we should copy from JunkFighter-17 Blunder is dual rack BVR/bombs in midboard/centerline pylons.View attachment 49604

Dual Rack pylons are under development, LCAs Weapons Stations 5 or 6 can be used for Dual-Rack Pylons in pure Air-to-Air Missions or only one Mixed Air-to-Surface and Air-to-Air Missions one pylon can be utilized for Dual-Rack Pylons.

Adding more Dual Rack pylons may make LCA sluggish you know the reason , it's light and increases drag.

1_img1191019090143.jpg

IMG_20200608_151408.jpg

Videos of Tejas Firing LGM s are available in YouTube.

And may be IAF don't want Tejas as a ground attack Aircraft , IAF may be looking Tejas MK1 as a point defence intercepter only , dual pylons are for mainly CCMs so that may be one reason.

And other PGM , NGRAM,SAAW etc are currently under development we can see them in Tejas in future
Little busy in these days

Assassin 2.0

Country flag

Why is there so much duff-gen on Tejas, everywhere you look on internet?

The aircraft takes-off from a carrier without catapult, and within two markers on a runway. Not underpowered by any yardstick in the world.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles