LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

abhay rajput

Country flag
Which Gripen are you talking about? Gripen C/D or Gripen NG? Tejas Mk1 A will be comparable or even better than Gripen C/D and Tejas Mk2 shall atleast match Gripen E in performance including sensors and EW if not better. Meteor option will remain open for Indian fighters. France is ready to integrate Meteor provided radar is Indian.
Ofcourse I am talking about Gripen Ng. Tejas mk1a is still 3 years away. And even then Gripen Ng will be better than Tejas mk1a. And it's not only about meteor but Gripen has many other technologies that Tejas mk1a will not have.

Shekhar Singh

Country flag
Ofcourse I am talking about Gripen Ng. Tejas mk1a is still 3 years away. And even then Gripen Ng will be better than Tejas mk1a. And it's not only about meteor but Gripen has many other technologies that Tejas mk1a will not have.
Please name few technologies which Gripen has and MK1A will not have.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
How can you compare dual pulse motor missile with ramjet motor missile. The difference is quite big. Astra mk2 will not match meteor at all. Sfdr will match meteor
Why cant they be compared? Can you please explain. Do you even know that upgadded version of ramjet powered Akash Mk1 is duel pulse motor powered Akash Mk2 with greater range ? Meteor is currently best but the difference between Astra mk2 and meteor will not be so great that both can't be compared. And the important things to be kept in mind is that meteor is not famous and deadliest because of ramjet engine only. it is famous and deadly because of a lots of high quality sensors , data links and seeaker etc it uses.

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
What are the technologies Tejas will not have!? Please illuminate.....
Please name few technologies which Gripen has and MK1A will not have.
Other than supercruising ability, Gripen C/D platform is comparable to Tejas Mark 1/A. And F414 powered, more fuel carrying Gripen-NG is of the level of MWF (assuming that gets the AMCA tech available as HVT suggested).

Tejas Mark1/A will get only ECM pod, but doesn't even get MAWS ot inbuilt IRST.
But Gripens have highly elaborate intergrated MFS-EW system (Multi Functional System-Electronic Warfare) that can misguide or swamp enemy radars and FriendorFoe Indentification systems, reducing enemy's situational awareness as well as target-acquisition capacity. ThaiAF Gripens whitewashed Chinese flankers by hiding radar signature while carrying missiles. Swedish Gripen-C/D even ambushed Eurofighter Typhoons. NG got dedicated Electronic Attack Jammer Pod (EAJP) to cutoff SAM/BVRs from guiding radar.

Even direct energy weapons like EMP and laser weapons are reportedly under trial. India has a lot of catching up to do techwise. It is high time Tejas looks beyond FC-1 as its primary competition.

Last edited:

scatterStorm

Country flag
ThaiAF Gripens whitewashed Chinese flankers by hiding radar signature while carrying missiles. Swedish Gripen-C/D even ambushed Eurofighter Typhoons. NG got dedicated Electronic Attack Jammer Pod (EAJP) to cutoff SAM/BVRs from guiding radar.

Even direct energy weapons like EMP and laser weapons are reportedly under trial. India has a lot of catching up to do techwise. It is high time Tejas looks beyond FC-1 as its primary competition.
I need some source on this NG went out of radar against the Chinese flankers, it interesting if they can do it. NG is a very capable platform, because SAAB as a weapon platform manufacturer has years of butt-load experience. They aren't scared of some radical idea, I mean look at the Draken then.

NG avionics and ECM is way advanced. PAF sole Awacs is there product.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I need some source on this NG went out of radar against the Chinese flankers, it interesting if they can do it. NG is a very capable platform, because SAAB as a weapon platform manufacturer has years of butt-load experience. They aren't scared of some radical idea, I mean look at the Draken then.

NG avionics and ECM is way advanced. PAF sole Awacs is there product.
Just google it up & read multiple sources. In case of information of like this, its hard to tell which how much they are exaggerating for PR.

Still here are two;

Against Eurofighter Typhoon

Last edited:

Kchontha

Country flag
Other than supercruising ability, Gripen C/D platform is comparable to Tejas Mark 1/A.
Gripen c/d are powered by a Volvo RM12 turbofan engine (now GKN Aerospace Engine Systems), a licence-manufactured derivative of General Electric F404 which also powered Tejas mk1 and will also be powering mk1a. That means that both the aircraft have similar powerplants. Despite these gripen c/d can supercruise while Tejas couldn't, I still wonder, illuminate @ Bleh.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Gripen c/d are powered by a Volvo RM12 turbofan engine (now GKN Aerospace Engine Systems), a licence-manufactured derivative of General Electric F404 which also powered Tejas mk1 and will also be powering mk1a. That means that both the aircraft have similar powerplants. Despite these gripen c/d can supercruise while Tejas couldn't, I still wonder, illuminate @ Bleh.
Aerodynamics... Gripen is much sleeker with smaller & simpler wings, logically making it less unstable than cranked compound winged Tejas. Which is why Mark1/A has similar maneuverability as C/D with canards.

Tejas wings are much more complex wing design with 3 dimensional curves, probably most complex of all existing fighter jets, mimicking a fixed-canard (which is why canards of MWF were reported to produce limited effect) but also more draggy.

IMG_20200424_123848.jpg

Last edited:

Kchontha

Country flag
The only variant of gripen that can supercruise or claimed to be supercruise is gripen NG or E, that is because of its powerplant i.e F414G, similar verson of this will also be powering MWF. So MWF should also be able to supercruise like gripen ng/e. That means there shouldn't be comparision between apples with oranges at the first instance or there shouldn't be mixed up. Better we compare mk1/mk 1a with c/d or MWF with e/ng.

Saichand K

Country flag
Other than supercruising ability, Gripen C/D platform is comparable to Tejas Mark 1/A. And F414 powered, more fuel carrying Gripen-NG is of the level of MWF (assuming that gets the AMCA tech available as HVT suggested).

Tejas Mark1/A will get only ECM pod, but doesn't even get MAWS ot inbuilt IRST.
But Gripens have highly elaborate intergrated MFS-EW system (Multi Functional System-Electronic Warfare) that can misguide or swamp enemy radars and FriendorFoe Indentification systems, reducing enemy's situational awareness as well as target-acquisition capacity. ThaiAF Gripens whitewashed Chinese flankers by hiding radar signature while carrying missiles. Swedish Gripen-C/D even ambushed Eurofighter Typhoons. NG got dedicated Electronic Attack Jammer Pod (EAJP) to cutoff SAM/BVRs from guiding radar.

As far as I know, MK-1A gets D-29 pod. D-29 pod does have MAWS in it.

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2018/12/indigenous-ew-system-ignored-for-tejas.html

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
As far as I know, MK-1A gets D-29 pod. D-29 pod does have MAWS in it.

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2018/12/indigenous-ew-system-ignored-for-tejas.html
Pretty sure Elta jammer was chosen over it... Or was that news for FOC?

Also I may have been (partially) wrong. There were unconfirmed claims of Mark1A to sport EW system with "radar warning receiver” (RWR), “missile approach and warning system” (MAWS), & “self-protection jammer” (SPJ).
And if it get only a ECM pod, it is still a Radar Jamming system (with questionable effectiveness against AESA). MAWS needs alleast 3-4 separate sensors placed around the jet's fuselage. Cannot be a single wing-tip pod.

Anyways it is our first homegrown EW system. Almost no chance that, or even the Elta pod, is of comparable quality as Saab's integrated one.

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
SAAB Is Decade Behind Elta in EW
Only Northrop Grumman & Thales are comparable And Italian ECI
Actually I don't know too much about that, and they have never been pitched against each other. So no comments on it.

WARREN SS

Country flag
Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
SAAB is just entered into the game EW development

While Elta Along With Raytheon And Northrop are Selling EW's For Decades
they Sold USAF ,multiple system

No, i meant an Elta external pod on Tejas, against a fully integrated EW system of Saab Gripen.
Recently Su-30's EW pods were discussed to not be fully compatible with Indian support tech and being limited in its effectiveness.

But I retract my statements on D-29. ADA India have made very good progress on AESA radar, avionics, FCS software etc. EW and AI are being stressed upon, we have the basic experience & talent base.

Last edited:

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
Tejas, against a fully integrated EW system of Saab Gripen. Recently Su-30's EW pods were discussed to not be fully compatible with Indian avionics and being limited in its effectiveness
I'm a little skeptical about this SU-30 Israeli not working cause IAF officials never claimed that on record we don't have a proper source.
Anyway in SU-30 one can think that is because of mix match of Israeli and Russian radar.
But i don't think that their will be a mix match between Israeli radar and Israeli jammers 😁

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles