Kolkata Class Destroyers Update

SilentKiller

Country flag
Some main points.
However, about half of its 64 anti-air missile launchers would be empty or would be occupied by an older generation of missiles. They were to be armed with the Barak NG (next-generation) missiles that were to be supplied through a $350-million co-development arrangement between India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Israel Aircraft Industries.

So it will have 64 AA missiles

rohit b3

Country flag
Barak 8 hasnt been fitted and will be fitted by next year, we know that.
But yes, 64 SAMs. Thats the main point here! :thumb:

rohit b3

Country flag
Since people are putting up their wet dreams as to how the Indian Navy should look in the future..
Here's my 2 cents on this..

If we notice, we currently have a light(Kora Class) and a heavy(Kamorta Class) class of corvette .
We also have a Light(Talwar Class) and Heavy(Shivalik Class) Class of Frigate.

We have the Kolkata Class and soon Project 15B Destroyers weighing 7500-8000 tons. The next most realistic dream should be going of those 12000 Tons Class Destroyer..like Arleiegh Burke Class/Sejong the Great Class,etc. A more stealtheir/automated/futuristic design though, of such a size.
Carrying about 32 X BrahMos 2/Nirbhay
96 x SAMs, Torpedo tubes,etc.

5 of these replacing the Rajput Class Destroyers.

Pretty much possible to start the construction from around 2020, entering service around 2025 with modular constrution.

Having different size of ships with state of the art features already gives the Indian Navy a great deal of flexibility. Such heavier destroyers will fill in as the crown.

Last edited:

Bheeshma

The Khukris are getting old and will retire in the next 5 years. Koras will continue for a while. We need to order the P-28A soon.

HMS Astute

what picture do you need?
pictures of the progress, the construction sites, the actual ships. i'd like to see how they are being constructed.

is there any official website of this destroyer that regularly posts the construction videos/pics/updates?

edit: google got me this image when i searched for it's shipbuilding yard. :shocked::shocked: they build the ships outdoor?

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag
pictures of the progress, the construction sites, the actual ships. i'd like to see how they are being constructed.

is there any official website of this destroyer that regularly posts the construction videos/pics/updates?

edit: google got me this image when i searched for it's shipbuilding yard. :shocked::shocked: they build the ships outdoor?
There is no dedicated website.

MoD and MDL doesn't give periodic updates, But what ever are released, majority of them are posted in this site itself. Take pains to dig out.

No, they don't generally build ships outdoors, but because, the mast of Kolkata class was higher than any of the ships that had been built, it didn't fit in the bedroom of the MD of MDL :rofl:

bhramos

Country flag

yup most of the ships are built outside........

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Destroyer ready for PM photo-op, not fighting fit

However, about half of its 64 anti-air missile launchers would be
empty or would be occupied by an older generation of missiles.
They were to be armed with the Barak NG (next-generation)
missiles that were to be supplied through a $350-million co-
development arrangement between India's Defence Research and
Development Organisation (DRDO) and Israel Aircraft Industries.

The Barak NG was the ship's — and when it is part of a flotilla, the
armada's — main long-distance missile defence system. It is
designed to detect an incoming missile at a range of 70-100km
and intercept it up to a range of 500 metres. But the DRDO has
failed to produce viable boosters to propel the missile that was
initially said to be capable of a top-speed of 2 mach (twice the
speed of sound). This makes the Kolkata a more vulnerable target
than it should be from aerial attacks.

The navy has decided that till the Barak NG is available, it will
continue to rely on the Israeli Barak I missile — which arms most
of its warships in any case. But the Barak I's range is shorter —
up to 12km.

The Kolkata is also set to be declared combat-ready without a
main underwater submarine detector — an active electronic towed
array sonar (ATAS). The ATAS emits low frequency waves that are
designed to detect enemy submarines.
This one is interesting

The Kolkata's main gun on deck is now called the SRGM but it is
really an Oto Melara. Oto Melara is owned by Finmeccanica, the
Italian conglomerate that is at the centre of the scandal over the
procurement of VVIP helicopters.

WMD

This one is interesting
The Kolkata's main gun on deck is now called the SRGM but it is
really an Oto Melara. Oto Melara is owned by Finmeccanica, the
Italian conglomerate that is at the centre of the scandal over the
procurement of VVIP helicopters.
That's not interesting just bad defense journalism by Indian journos. The gun is a OtoMelara 76mm SRGM(Super Rapid Gun Mount) firing 120 rounds/mins, there is no ambiguity.
That is the reason I don't trust this article which says Kolkata has 64 launchers(VLS) for Barak-8.

Kranthi

That's not interesting just bad defense journalism by Indian journos. The gun is a OtoMelara 76mm SRGM(Super Rapid Gun Mount) firing 120 rounds/mins, there is no ambiguity.
That is the reason I don't trust this article which says Kolkata has 64 launchers(VLS) for Barak-8.
Also it says Barak 8 can 'detect' targets at 70 to 100 km range and can intercept it up to a range of 500m. Poor writing..

So DRDO failed with the dual pulse motor ??

shiphone

Country flag
Broadsword----------------quite some pix of P15A construction in MDL could be found in this blog...and the above one was also from this blog....

Eg. 1. indoor welding job of some structure...

2. two P15A in the assembly on the two main slipways

3 the vessel launched from the slipways (the third of P15A project)

4.the launched vessel would be moved to the wet basin(the left one , two P15A inside) for fitting-out and the main drydock(on the right, one P15A inside) for under-water equipment fitting and spraying jobs...

Last edited:

shiphone

Country flag
7. when all six P17 and P15A were launched, the Slipway modernization of MDL began with the setting up of a new crane and Module Manufacturing workshop for the future P15B and P17A construction...

8. a second Wet Basin was also constructed in front of the indoor assembly line(for submarine)within years...the further fitting-out job and some port test could be done here....

9. this indoor Workshop is for the construction of Submarines..

Last edited:

HMS Astute

Indian media reported that India took 10 years to build a destroyer. Why is it being delayed even Israel/Ukraine/Russia etc are helping the project and providing their technology?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles