Know Your 'Rafale'

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Yeah. There is no guarantee Rafale is more stealthy than EF. Perhaps it may be like how the F-22 and F-35 are.

There are certain parameters where the F-35 is more stealthy while the F-22 is better in certain parameters. For eg the F-35 could be more stealthy at lower altitudes and a more varied bandwidth as compared to X bands at higher altitudes on the F-22. Perhaps we can find such differences between Rafale and EF too.

30 years down the line it would be fun comparing the two.
Well, AFAIK, the F-22 is indeed "all aspect stealth", i.e. it has better VLO features at ALL altitudes than the F-35. The F-35 on the other hand has almost as good frontal aspect stealth and much less from rear/ sides.

As to your question about WHY I mentioned AOA for strike fighters, it's precisely because of that. The current generation of strike fighters are "strike" AND "fighters" - i.e. they are supposed to be able to go lo-lo for strike purposes and if threatened from above by air-defense/ air-dominance fighters, can get up very fast (high AOA) and defend itself. The AOA is not important for ground attack per se, but for self-defense.

Try to be more humble and less A**-holic when you deal with other people and you might be respected more. As for the "Russian Stooge" part, it's not only me, but many others who have made similar complaints about your bias, including Vlad.

Back on topic, The Rafale di have better thermal management than EF, but in terms of LO, they seem to be VERY similar, with maybe some minor differences in favor of EF.

p2prada

Well, AFAIK, the F-22 is indeed "all aspect stealth", i.e. it has better VLO features at ALL altitudes than the F-35. The F-35 on the other hand has almost as good frontal aspect stealth and much less from rear/ sides.
So? All aspect does not mean better stealth against ground based radars as well. F-35 may be better in such cases.

As to your question about WHY I mentioned AOA for strike fighters, it's precisely because of that. The current generation of strike fighters are "strike" AND "fighters" - i.e. they are supposed to be able to go lo-lo for strike purposes and if threatened from above by air-defense/ air-dominance fighters, can get up very fast (high AOA) and defend itself. The AOA is not important for ground attack per se, but for self-defense.
Don't need very high AoA for that. The F-16 is restricted at 25deg and it is built as a strike fighter.

(Edit: The Mig-35 is restricted at 45deg. But the F-16 will beat the Mig-29 in a vertical climb any day. High AoA is for dogfights where the aircraft can point and shoot quickly. Nothing to do with strike.)

Try to be more humble and less A**-holic when you deal with other people and you might be respected more. As for the "Russian Stooge" part, it's not only me, but many others who have made similar complaints about your bias, including Vlad.
Yeah right. I don't see why I should be hearing that from you. The only people who have called me Russian Fanboy are Vlad and you. Perhaps some others share the sentiment, but I don't really care. Considering you don't really know anything, its like a 6 year old insulting a grownup.

He never explained anyway. Perhaps he can explain why the Malaysians chose the MKM instead of the AESA equipped SH or Russian jammers over French options. Maybe the Malaysians are fanboys too.

Last edited:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Yeah right. I don't see why I should be hearing that from you. The only people who have called me Russian Fanboy are Vlad and you. Perhaps some others share the sentiment, but I don't really care. Considering you don't really know anything, its like a 6 year old insulting a grownup.
Coming from you that's HILARIOUS!!! :rofl:

Don't need very high AoA for that. The F-16 is restricted at 25deg and it is built as a strike fighter.
Goes to show how MUCH you know, you jerk!

The F-16 was built as a dogfighter - to complement the F-15, which was a stand-0ff air superiority fighter.

The USAF started using it as a strike fighter only MUCH MUCH later, when they realized it's potential.

The F-16 originates in a set of specifications the United States Department of Defense issued in 1974. The deficiencies of the F-4 Phantom II in aerial combat in the Vietnam War, particularly at close ranges, shaped the specifications for the F-15. An informal and influential group nicknamed the "Fighter Mafia", among them systems analyst Pierre Sprey, test pilot Charles E. Meyers, and instructor pilot John Boyd, believed the F-15 was a move in the wrong direction. They argued that the F-15 was too large and expensive. Designed as a fast interceptor, it had a wide turn radius and was not well suited to close range dogfighting. The Fighter Mafia argued for a lighter fighter with superb maneuverability that was cheap enough to deploy in numbers. These specifications became the Lightweight Fighter (LWF) program, begun in 1971.
General Dynamics F-16 Aircraft Facts, Dates and History

But then you have Russian sh!t for brain ...

p2prada

Goes to show how MUCH you know, you jerk!

The F-16 was built as a dogfighter - to complement the F-15, which was a stand-0ff air superiority fighter.

The USAF started using it as a strike fighter only MUCH MUCH later, when they realized it's potential.
Bwahahahahaha!

Read the sentence you quoted all over again.

Figure out why I said the F-35 would be a better dog fighter than the F-22. Rafale would out fly both F-22 and F-35 in the subsonic regime for some particular reasons that you find impossible to comprehend.

Learn simple concepts like wing loading, wing sweep, thrust to weight ratio, center of gravity and how each of these complement one another. Very simple terms. Then we will talk. You don't know anything. Period.

This is what happens when a fish tries to walk on land or when a monkey tries to fly.

But then you have Russian sh!t for brain ...
:taunt:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Bwahahahahaha!

Read the sentence you quoted all over again.

Figure out why I said the F-35 would be a better dog fighter than the F-22. Rafale would out fly both F-22 and F-35 in the subsonic regime for some particular reasons that you find impossible to comprehend.

Learn simple concepts like wing loading, wing sweep, thrust to weight ratio, center of gravity and how each of these complement one another. Very simple terms. Then we will talk. You don't know anything. Period.

This is what happens when a fish tries to walk on land or when a monkey tries to fly.

:taunt:

Or an idiot like you tries to sound intelligent by spouting random shit from the internet and call them "simple terms". Come and talk to us again when you get a brain surgery and learn a little bit of aero-space engineering.

As for the Rafale being better in the subsonic regime than the F-22 (LOL, LOL, ROFl) or the F-35 (honestly I don't know), good luck with THAT! The rafale is a delta wing, which means it has an energy bleed penalty in sustained turns - the F-22 has NO SUCH problems.

during the last ATLC exercise in the United Arab Emirates, very little was said about the confrontation between Dassault's delta-wing aircraft and the American F-22As. In out-of-visual-range engagements, the American Raptors did not even condescend to turn on their radars, remaining invisible to the Rafale's RBE2 [radar system] and Spectra [self-defense system] while precisely locating the electromagnetic waves from the French fighter, thus securing their AMRAAM [missile] launches from a secure distance. On two occasions at least, the F-22As also "tangled" with the Rafales in close combat, securing a "gun kill" each time without much difficulty.
Try some of these ...
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/cwang5/shared/Aerodynamics FDR.doc

Introduction to aeronautics: a design perspective - Steven A. Brandt - Google Books

BTW - I mentioned your comments to some of my aero-space colleagues (engineers/ professors) who had a good laugh - true some at me, but MOST at you ... :D

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
He never explained anyway. Perhaps he can explain why the Malaysians chose the MKM instead of the AESA equipped SH or Russian jammers over French options. Maybe the Malaysians are fanboys too.
They bought it because they believed the hype and part of a package. Sukhois weren't designed for pod jammers but placing them on the wing tip station. It is a waste of space to not utilise them. They didn't test them until after receipt and into the cancellation trash bin it went.

p2prada

Or an idiot like you tries to sound intelligent by spouting random shit from the internet and call them "simple terms". Come and talk to us again when you get a brain surgery and learn a little bit of aero-space engineering.

As for the Rafale being better in the subsonic regime than the F-22 (LOL, LOL, ROFl) or the F-35 (honestly I don't know), good luck with THAT! The rafale is a delta wing, which means it has an energy bleed penalty in sustained turns - the F-22 has NO SUCH problems.

Try some of these ...
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/cwang5/shared/Aerodynamics FDR.doc

Introduction to aeronautics: a design perspective - Steven A. Brandt - Google Books

BTW - I mentioned your comments to some of my aero-space colleagues (engineers/ professors) who had a good laugh - true some at me, but MOST at you ... :D
Look man. Believe what you want. You did not even know what AoA was.

They bought it because they believed the hype and part of a package. Sukhois weren't designed for pod jammers but placing them on the wing tip station. It is a waste of space to not utilise them. They didn't test them until after receipt and into the cancellation trash bin it went.
They signed a contract in 2003 and took deliveries in 2009. Nobody buys without testing. Perhaps the pods came in a package, but then they could have replaced it with French by now.

vanadium

I wouldn't be so sure, but then it may be right. All 3 aircraft, SH, Mig-35(maybe) and F-16 came with AESA radars unlike the Rafale or EF. But the AESA did not help Boeing beat the MKM in Malaysia, so we cannot say for sure how good the offer was in the first place. We know very well the Rafale and EF are more advanced than the MKI. So, we can consider the Malaysian competition as a political decision because of the Iraq war or perhaps the MKM was simply cheaper where the aircraft, maintenance, training and weapons systems came at $50Million a piece.

We can note that in every competition the SH came below the Rafale and EF.
I will not elaborate on my statement as I have written enough on the subject in the past. The very comprehensive IAF assessment should be more than sufficient to underpin the superiority of the two European designs vs the Super and the F-16IN.
Both Rafale and Typhoon submitted their AESA radar designs and I would guess that the IAF have assessed them and ranked them with an appropriate risk factor based on the status of the project and the companies historical record / competence in developing successfully radar systems.

p2prada

I will not elaborate on my statement as I have written enough on the subject in the past. The very comprehensive IAF assessment should be more than sufficient to underpin the superiority of the two European designs vs the Super and the F-16IN.
Both Rafale and Typhoon submitted their AESA radar designs and I would guess that the IAF have assessed them and ranked them with an appropriate risk factor based on the status of the project and the companies historical record / competence in developing successfully radar systems.
Of course. It was repeatedly said the deal isn't political but merely technical.

Amateur question,i am confused does Rafael have IRST?
Yeah. It is called OSF.

Optronique Secteur Frontal du Rafale | Optronique & Défense

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Sweden wants partner to foot bill for Gripen NG development

Gen. Sverker Goeranson said it was too early to reveal the expected cost of the upgrade, although he told a news conference it would be "very expensive."

Swedish media hinted the price tag could be around 30 billion kronor ($4.5 billion, 3.4 billion euros).

The military said it's aim was to carry out the upgrades and split the cost with "at least one other strategic partner country," but did not reveal which countries it was considering.

Sweden Needs Up to 80 New Gripen Fighter Jets: Military | Defense News | defensenews.com :laugh:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Rafale will best meet India's security needs

India and France must revive their pre-1984 operational cooperation in the Indian Ocean now that Rafale has been chosen for the IAF

The Gov-ernment of India must press ahead with its last-lap negotiations with Dassault Aviation of France for the finalisation of the definitive contract for the acquisition of 126 Rafale medium multi-role combat aircraft.

Now that the decision of the Indian Air Force to go for Rafale has been announced, attempts will be made by others who failed in their bid to sell their aircraft to the IAF such as the European consortium producing the Typhoon to create confusion in the minds of the Indian political leadership and public opinion about the wisdom of the decision to choose the French aircraft.

Arms trade is a dirty business and often a 'Psywar' is waged with no holds barred to create suspicions in the minds of the buyer about rival competitors. We had seen this dirty 'Psywar' in the run-up to our decision to acquire a modern jet trainer aircraft. Both British and French arms dealers and their agents fought a bitter 'Psywar' against each other by planting stories which were meant to create doubts in the mind of PV Narasimha Rao, the then Prime Minister.

I was in service at that time and had personal knowledge of the way stories — which ultimately turned out to be false — were planted through politicians, bureaucrats and journalists to create doubts in the minds of the decision-makers about the integrity of those involved in the decision-making process itself. As a result, there was inordinate delay in signing the final contract for the purchase of advance jet trainers.

The British, particularly, played a very dirty game by planting suspicions in the minds of Rao through their contacts in the Indian intelligence community. It is quite likely that history may repeat itself and a similar 'Psywar' may again start. The only way of pre-empting and preventing it is by pressing ahead with the negotiations with Dassault Aviation and signing the final contract quickly. The longer the delay, the dirtier will be the 'Psywar'.

Analysts have already started discussing about possible strategic collateral benefits to India as a result of the IAF's decision to go for Rafale. Two possible benefits have been highlighted — a greater keenness on the part of the French to step-up their cooperation with India in the nuclear and space fields and a revival of the 1970s project for cooperation between the intelligence agencies of India and France to monitor developments in the Indian Ocean to the west of India.

The credit for giving a French orientation to India's strategic thinking should go to Mrs Indira Gandhi. Her bitter experience with the US's Nixon Administration during the 1971 events that led to the birth of Bangladesh, and the difficulties sought to be created by the US in the way of our nuclear and space programmes after the 1974 nuclear test, made her turn to France for understanding and cooperation. At her instance, RN Kao, the then head of Research & Analysis Wing, our external intelligence agency, visited France in 1974 for meetings with Le Comte Alexandre de Marenches, the then head of the French external intelligence, Michel Poniatowski, the then French Interior Minister, and Giscard d'Estaing, the then French President.

Kao's fruitful discussions in France facilitated the cooperation between the two countries in the nuclear and space fields and led to an agreement between the external intelligence agencies for operational co-operation to monitor developments in the Indian Ocean. Their common targets were the fleets of the US and the Soviet navies.

The intelligence cooperation progressed in fits and starts till the assassination of Mrs Gandhi in October 1984. After her death, the operational cooperation lost momentum, though intelligence-sharing continued. No other Indian political leader after Mrs Gandhi, no other intelligence chief after Kao and no other intelligence chief of France after Le Comte evinced similar interest and enthusiasm for operational cooperation between the external intelligence agencies of the two countries.

The interests of both the intelligence agencies have changed since 1984. They no longer have common concerns over the activities of the US and Russian Navies in the Indian Ocean. If operational cooperation — as distinguished from intelligence sharing — is to be revived in a meaningful manner, we have to identify new areas of common concern. Two such areas are the activities of the Somali pirates and the intentions, capabilities and activities of the Chinese Navy in the Indian Ocean.

There is already a mechanism for cooperation between the Navies of India and the Nato countries to counter piracy. Joint monitoring of the activities of the Chinese Navy is a subject of common concern for India and France that has not received adequate attention till now.

In the favourable strategic ambiance that is likely to follow the Rafale contract, we should revive and intensify the pre-1984 operational co-operation in the Indian Ocean — with different targets this time. Such a project for Indo-French cooperation need not come in the way of our ongoing strategic cooperation with the US. It can supplement it.

(The writer is former Additional Secretary, Cabinet Secretariat, Government of India, New Delhi, and, presently, Director, Institute For Topical Studies, Chennai, and Associate of the Chennai Centre For China Studies.)
Rafale will best meet India's security needs

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Ghaziabad firm Samtel Display Systemsset to fly with Rafale

GHAZIABAD: "AFTER the Rafael deal is inked, our total bids with different players across the world will easily cross Rs 10,000 crore," said Puneet Kaura emphatically. Kaura is the executive director of Samtel Display Systems, a Ghaziabad based company, which makes cockpit displays for fighter and commercial aircrafts.

Though the modalities of the deal are yet to be worked out, the multibillion-dollar deal will turn out to be an important cog for the company and the way India is seen globally.

"The 126 aircraft MMRCA deal standing at $10.4 billion is the biggest defense deal in the history of the country. Samtel will be supplying its cockpit displays to Dassault, makers of the French Rafael," informed Kaura. The exe director explained, "Dassault has stakes in Thales which is also a French company. Samtel-Thales Joint Venture will be supplying the cockpit displays to Dassault."

He added, "The deal falls under a Buy & Make category, one of the defense procurement procedures (DPP) designed by the ministry of defense (MOD) where the company that wins the bid will have to source manufacturing to an Indian company to the tune of 50 per cent of the bid value. And in that case, over 5 billion dollars is what the Indian companies will earn from the deal."

35 per cent of the entire aircraft constitutes avionics or aircraft electronics, which is being catered to by the Samtel-Thales JV. So a sizeable amount is expected to land in Samtel's kitty. However the products that Samtel will be manufacturing at its Ghaziabad unit are to be negotiated with Thales.

The aircrafts will be loaded with Infra Red Search and Track (IRST) System, a highly advanced technology that is capable of detecting an enemy aircraft even at a distance of 80 kilometers. Unlike the earlier technologies, IRST is stealthy, as it emits nothing. Airborne radars installed in the aircrafts emit elect6ronic beams and thus give its position to the enemy.

Mr Kaura said, "Thales has the technology but the production will be done in our facility." Thales is the sixth largest defense equipment manufacturer in the world with an estimated value of Rs 80,000 crore.

Last year only, Thales signed a contract worth 1.47 billion euro (Rs 9600 crore) with the MOD for the upgradation of 51 Mirage 2000 aircrafts. Samtel has stakes in this deal too. The company is spreading its wings across continents as it is in talk with world's largest aerospace company Boeing of US and also with French Company Airbus.

The Rs 12 billion company is also working closely with world's largest cockpit manufacturers Honeywell. The US based $36 billion company is seeking the services of Samtel for commercial aircrafts for its global market operations. Pritam Bhavnani, Country head, Honeywell India was all praise for the company.

"The unit is fully integrated with sound facilities. It has shown remarkable capabilities in CRT displays." Recalling his association with the company, Mr Bhavnani said, "Honeywell's association with Samtel started with a series of displays. We have recently got cost estimates of some more instruments."

The company, which started in 1973 with the manufacturing of coloured picture tubes, has graduated to something as niche as avionics. It all started with the acquisition of a German arm of Thales based in Ulm. It was manufacturing medical displays and military displays.

We transferred the medical display system to India and concentrated on manufacturing helmet-mounted displays where the pilot can see the display on the visor mounted on the helmet.

Samtel also made a joint venture with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) in 2006 and has supplied multifunctional displays (MFD) for Sukhoi Su-30MKI aircrafts inducted by the Indian Airforce. The displays have been instrumental in providing vital flight parameters and digital terrain maps. "Samtel owns the technology used for manufacturing these displays," Kaura pointed. Earlier HAL imported these displays from France.

He said that the displays have been subjected to many hundred tests to withstand extremes in temperature, altitude, explosion, vibration and brightness. "All the displays have been made using the ruggedization technology which we jointly developed with the DRDO. With some advancements, now we are using this technology in displays that we make for the HAL."

Sameer Dudani, CEO of Samtel-HAL JV mentioned about the some fundamental problems with the earlier procurements. "If there was a problem with the displays, it had to be flown to Lucknow and then to France. It only returned after 8-9 months. To get fresh displays the order had to be placed one year in advance."

He added, "With Samtel-HAL association, the turn around time has decreased drastically to mere 6-7 days. While the fresh orders have to be placed just three months in advance."

While Puneet was categorical about Samtel's global ambitions, the Bentley College (US) graduate forsees India as a global hub for the supply of these cockpits. He was also happy about the participation of a few private companies in the country in the area of defense. Vishakhapatnam based Flash Forge and Aurora Integrated Systems based in Banglore are some companies who have been active participants in the area of defense. The former has supplied critical valves to a fleet of six Scorpene-class submarines and the latter manufactures surveillance drones.

Sharing Kaura's optimism Mr Dudani said, "Private players like Samtel have great opportunity to make it big because the area is niche and not many players are into it. The government is more keen now to give chance to private players, which is also important from the strategic point of view because the technology remains with us and we become self-reliant."

However he acknowledged that, "Players need to have deep pockets and the Government needs to have a fresh look into the offset clause because the policies are unclear and ambiguous."
Ghaziabad firm Samtel Display Systemsset to fly with Rafael - Page 2 - Economic Times

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Forbes India - Rafale Revolution in Indian Airspace

India's defence procurement orders are a game for the patient. For over five years, a bunch of companies with ambition to grab a chunk of offsets that would accrue to our fledgling aerospace industry have awaited the decision on the multi-role fighter aircraft. The suspense ended when French aircraft manufacturer Dassault Aviation's fighter plane Rafale was chosen as the preferred bidder.

A 50 percent offset condition in the contract means that the deal, when signed, will lead to contracts worth between Rs. 30,000 crore and Rs. 40,000 crore, to be shared among state-owned and private companies. Sadly, even large players who have invested in new technology are not confident that the contracts will help then move up the value chain.

Offset contracts have helped nations make a step change in their manufacturing and design capabilities. Offset policies that insist on high-end technology transfer have benefitted companies like Korea's Samsung Techwin, a small camera-making unit when it began operations, to move on to making jet engines and self-propelled artillery for exports.

"Offsets should bring in real technology not just buildings or facilities—as of now we are not sure this will happen," says M.V. Kotwal, president of L&T's heavy engineering division. The Tatas, L&T, Mahindras and Walchandnagar Industries are among the big companies in the Indian private sector that have been lobbying for meatier, high-end contracts from defence deals.

India's offset policy has been formalised through the DPP (Defence offset Policy and Procedure) directives that are revised every year. So offsets, in the modern sense of giving contracts to Indian aerospaces, have come into effect only in the last two or three years. Almost 90 percent of them have so far gone to the defence public sector units (PSUs), lead by Hindustan Aeronautics, Bharat Electronics and Bharat Dynamics. Some amount of work has trickled down from these companies to smaller vendors in Bangalore and Hyderabad.

L&T executives say that the hard truth is that they have received business worth just a few million dollars. The company has, in the meanwhile, set up facilities to ramp up capabilities for defence work. It has a facility for composites (materials used to replace aluminum in aircraft structures) at Baroda and a new plant at Talegaon, near Pune, that will focus on avionics, radars and electronic surveillance.

To earn its chops in the business, Tata Advanced Systems has joint ventures with global aerospace companies like Sikorsky and Israel Aerospace Industries. Mahindra Aerospace has begun, in a smaller way, exporting components and sub-assemblies to international majors. All of them are hoping to scale up work, both in terms of quality and quantity, from the Rafale offsets.

Dassault Aviation has signed MoUs with over 50 Indian companies in the run-up to the Indian Air Force's (IAF) Medium Multi Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) bid. As of now, the tie-ups mean little because all five bidders went around signing up most eligible companies, attempting to cover all bases in case they were selected. Apart from the majors, many MoUs are also with smaller, IT, engineering and design companies that have over the years been working for Boeing, Airbus and the engine makers.

Hyderabad-based Infotech Enterprises is one such company. "The offset policy has to be implemented in spirit," says Krishna Bodanapu, president (engineering) of the company. It's not just transferring the drawings to make the component, but what goes behind the design, testing etc. The Rafale is already designed, but Infotech looks forward to work on Dassault's other projects, he says. "It is very critical for the government to specify what is counted as offset. In the past, suppliers have got away with taking credits for making buildings or training expenses," he says.

Companies such as Boeing and Airbus were able to combine offsets on military and civil contracts; this meant if they sold military aircraft, they could claim credit for low-tech contracts given in the civil space. This does little to improve manufacturing capability.

Over the next six months to a year, negotiations will focus on the deliverables for Dassault Aviation and price. The French major that has supplied the IAF with aircraft since the 1950s is no stranger to this. Some are convinced that the deal will improve the quality of Indian aerospace manufacturing.
Group Captain (retd.) Sanjiv Aggarwal, who heads Offset India Solutions, a Delhi-based advisory firm, says there will also be a trickle down to much smaller companies from the defence PSUs, who have too much on their plate. The latest version of the DPP, expected to be announced later this year, is expected to iron out some ambiguity, he says.

Arms suppliers have also been asking for multiplier (extra) credit for technology transfer and for the foreign investment in joint ventures to go up to 49 percent. Policy announcements on these two fronts could alter the extent of high-end work that comes to Indian companies significantly.

The fighter deal is large enough to change the face of the defence industry in India and France, says Gurpal Singh, deputy director general, Confederation of Indian Industry, who heads the defence, aerospace and security group. The industry group says India will spend over $80 billion in defence buying in the 2010-15 timeframe. A fair part of this should be used to strengthen indigenous industry.

The MMRCA deal has the potential to make or break India's future in aerospace manufacturing.
Read more: Forbes India Magazine - Rafale Revolution in Indian Airspace

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
HAL rejig in Rafale run-up

New Delhi, Feb. 29: Defence minister A.K. Antony today asked public sector aircraft-maker Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) to restructure itself to prepare for a boom in business.

Since India decided to open exclusive negotiations with French aircraft maker Dassault Aviation for its Rafale multi-role combat plane for an estimated $18 billion, HAL would have to re-orient its business for strategic alliances and joint ventures. HAL would be the main systems-integrator of the 108 aircraft that would be assembled in the country.

HAL, a defence public sector undertaking, is the only company in the country capable of assembling and building fighter aircraft through transfer of technology.

Speaking to members of the parliamentary consultative committee attached to the defence ministry, Antony said HAL should partner with Defence Research and Development Organisation and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) to develop aircraft, engines and systems indigenously.

HAL has a turnover of more than Rs 13,000 crore. The Prime Minister has approved an expert group chaired by former cabinet secretary B.K. Chaturvedi to recommend measures to restructure the company.

The group includes Air Chief Marshal (retired) Fali H. Major, former IIM Bangalore director Prakash Apte, HDFC chairman Deepak Parekh, former industrial policy secretary Ajay Shankar and former CSIR director general R.A. Mashelkar, apart from officials of the defence ministry and the HAL chairman.

Members of the parliamentary committee questioned the defence ministry on indigenous development of aircraft. Suresh Kalmadi, a member, asked why the Tejas light combat aircraft project was repeatedly delayed.
HAL rejig in Rafale run-up

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
PLEASE NOTE: This thread is solely dedicated to all the information related to Rafale & it's capabilties .This thread contains all the information compiled from all PDFs files available in Net till date now .so u can call this thread as mini
enclyopedia about Rafale.This thread has nothing related to MMRCA .This thread is a long thread composing of 15 posts
so plz dont post anything now until i complete this thread.Thank u.

Radar AESA RBE 2:

RBE 2 ACTIVE ARRAY:

RBE 2 AESA performance confirmed & production

RBE2 AESA AN ASSET FOR RAFALE

AN EXTREMELY FAST PROGRAMMER

From Thales Website

Source:
http://www.dassault-aviation.com/fi...teur/AUTRES_DOCS/Fox_three/Fox_Three_nr_7.pdf
http://www.dassault-aviation.com/fileadmin/user_upload/redacteur/Defence/Rafale/FOXTHREE_16.pdf
http://www.dassault-aviation.com/fi...teur/AUTRES_DOCS/Fox_three/Fox_Three_nr_8.pdf
http://www.thalesgroup.com/Portfolio/Documents/Brochure_AESA_RBE2_radar_avril_2009/?LangType=2057
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/dae/sponsors/sponsor_rafale/img/fox3_2.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles