Know Your 'Rafale'

piKacHHu

Country flag

Tanmay

Country flag

So I was discussing with my friend a few days back that what if Rajnathji makes a Swastik on Rafale during Shastra Puja. Could have been misinterpreted/controversial in swastik phobic Europe.
But Rajnath makes an Om symbol and gets away.

When Coconut breakers meet Champagne bottle openers.

Frontrunner

Country flag
It looks like it has IRST after all.
No not untill now.. it is only the same rafale F3R version of French airforce.. so no IRST for now.. if u look closely the ball the adjacent of tv/laser is dummy..
Wether Indian rafale will hv IRST or not .. it is still not clear.. when Full ISE upgrades are rolled after September 2021 only then it will clear the dust about IRST.

Frontrunner

Country flag
This also means France can design and supply conformal IRST system similar like the f35.
France has IRST solution in terms of sagem IRST... However it is only slated to to find it's place on rafale f4 new OSF IT which will fly in 2023-24.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

I cannot understand why there is so much of hype for rafale like media coverage on this jet is very high. I don't think this much coverage was given to any other jet in india. :confused1::confused1:
Bcoz after bofors, all foreign defence purchases were kept low key. All govts knew there would be a scam hidden in every defence purchase. And also those days(to an extent even today), American lobby would cast doubts on Russian equipment and Russian lobby would cast doubts in non-Russian purchases.

It changed after 2014, this govt owns up to every decision it makes.

Frontrunner

Country flag
There is no such thing as dummy, all Rafale that don't have it has the entire unit removed. You can't see it because it is covered by the retractable cap.
No it isn't ... IRST was removed from Rafale F3R.. infact their was no IRST solution to begin with in rafale f3R front sector optronics.. it is only slated to make another appearance in new OSF-IT in French rafale F4. I repeat no rafale F3R has irst.. it only has tv/laser.. u can check from french source to corroborate my statement. now no IAF rafale has IRST for now.. it will only be incorporated in ISE UPGRADES.. if IAF has asked for it.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
No it isn't ... IRST was removed from Rafale F3R.. infact their was no IRST solution to begin with in rafale f3R front sector optronics.. it is only slated to make another appearance in new OSF-IT in French rafale F4. I repeat no rafale F3R has irst.. it only has tv/laser.. u can check from french source to corroborate my statement. now no IAF rafale has IRST for now.. it will only be incorporated in ISE UPGRADES.. if IAF has asked for it.
All I need to find is a picture of a Rafale with the IRST removed to prove my point...

This is what a Rafale looks like without IRST, no such thing as dummy units. That would just be dumb.

Frontrunner

Country flag
All I need to find is a picture of a Rafale with the IRST removed to prove my point...

This is what a Rafale looks like without IRST, no such thing as dummy units. That would just be dumb.
No this is just an old picture of rafale u hv shared maybe from early 2000.. when even OSF wasn't conceptualised.. it is not rafale F3R.. see at the tail fin .. it doesn't have DDM-NG.. that round ball which acts as MWS..
img-0337.jpg

It only has this which early iterations of rafale had... sans OSF
cigare.jpg

So all rafale F3R flying with French airforce nd navy has that little pimple like bulge at front.. however it doesn't have IRST.. it only has TV/Laser...

Last edited:

Frontrunner

Country flag

Nd also few rafale were flying with IRST but it was shelved from F3 iteration due to cost issues.. some even claims that the IRST which was incorporated in rafale didn't had passive ranging compatibility thus it offered no real advantage nd was shelved.. so french decided to go ahead only with TV/LASER... So now all latest iteration of rafale u see is flying with that little pimple like bulge sans IRST.. like this
DA00011228_Si.jpg

Instead of this...
voiesosf-1.jpg

Global Defence

New threads

Articles