Know Your 'Rafale'

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
What replaces which is not the question the question is finance to maintain the ACs, more Rafael means less finance for Tejas.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Rafale is a dud on the China front in current numbers,
China's high-low mix,assuming the high is J-20 will be able to counter Rafale,in high enough numbers maybe we can take out good amount of China's low mix fighters without losing the air battle,but enduring heavy losses.
I am yet to find single capability that J-20 can offer that makes it capable of tackling Rafale.

Regards

hit&run

Mod
I am also a bit skeptical about the capabilities of j-20.
A jet that still not operational is capable to tackle Rafale is to much of sniffing Chini propaganda. One should look at level of Chinese intellect across internet before believing in what they say.

They are best repeating same lies for last 7-8 odd years like 'India has sold its sovereignty to USA' etc.

I don't even see this jet out smarting SU30-MKI on any parameter let alone it allegedly being stealth to radars SU30-MKI will incorporate including ground and AWACS network.

This jet will be a victim as it will try to enter any air theater that we will enforce during war. The whole usual chit chat about BVR to their advantage is nothing but solitary thinking where the protagonist assume India will be doing nothing or offers no such challenge back to them.

Regards

busesaway

Out of the NATO aircraft, I personally preferred the Eurofighter Typhoon to Dassault Rafale. Though I don't think it makes too much of a difference.

I also think that India should look at acquiring aircraft from non-western/non-nato sources, such as Israel, Russia, China, South Korea, and Japan. I think Japan and Russia might make high-quality military planes, and that Israel and South Korea might catch-up soon.

China might be too politically sensitive, but that doesn't mean India should rule out China, because India doesn't keep allies anyway.

Hardi

China's high-low mix,assuming the high is J-20 will be able to counter Rafale,in high enough numbers maybe we can take out good amount of China's low mix fighters without losing the air battle,but enduring heavy losses.

we also..need think about a attack jet..craft.
A-10 Thunderbolt or su-39 attack plane..what not we have..

this two plane.. is awesome.. history.. to counter enemy air defense with full ground forces.. ..
us use a-10 against both Gulf War..and Afghanistan also in War against terrorism..
same way
rus use su39 in Chechen war..,south oscetia,and Ukraine..

..and Chinese J20 is under development not success..
just like PAK-FA...stealth jet of Russia so chill.. Chinese jet wrack...

so Rafael is not great but very Usefull..more than su-30 mki.

Hardi

we also..need think about a attack jet..craft.
A-10 Thunderbolt or su-39 attack plane..what not we have..

this two plane.. is awesome.. history.. to counter enemy air defense with full ground forces.. ..
us use a-10 against both Gulf War..and Afghanistan also in War against terrorism..
same way
rus use su39 in Chechen war..,south oscetia,and Ukraine..

..and Chinese J20 is under development not success..
just like PAK-FA...stealth jet of Russia so chill.. Chinese jet wrack...

so Rafael is not great but very Usefull..more than su-30 mki.

Bahamut

actually less than the Super MKI offered to India AND the Rafale will have FAR higher availability rates and lower maintenance/flight hour costs than the MKI.
How do u come to that conclusion, the new engine for Super Sukhio is yet to be decided?

busesaway

The Eurofighter Typhoon is widely considered to be far superior to Rafale. I don't think the slight cost difference should come into play. The NATO countries that don't buy Typhoon tend to have close relationships with the US.

India should purchase military hardware from outside NATO. It should purchase a fair amount from Russia and Japan, and it shouldn't be scared of China.

I would look into MiG-35, along with any other aircraft, for purchase with the supercarrier from Russia. But the only high-quality aircraft from Russia: Sukhoi Su-35 and Sukhoi T-50. The others might be a bit lacking.

And I don't think India should overlook a strong alliance with Japan when it comes to military hardware, especially if its vis-a-vis aircraft from NATO.

If India is looking at 'value', then it should look at buying from outside the NATO bloc, such as Russia or China. Chinese planes are cheap and competitive too.

But I think the important clause to remember is that the aircraft should be built on Indian soil.

Last edited:

Punya Pratap

Country flag
For the PAF here's something to mull over regarding the definition of BRINGING THUNDER UPON YOUR ENEMIES :

The Dassault Rafale (French pronunciation: [ʁafal], literally meaning "gust of wind",[3] and "burst of fire" in a more military sense)[4]

Just saying coz they call their JF - 17 (Junk Fighter) THUNDER!! Wait till you run into a combined raiders of IAF with Su-30 MKI + Rafale mix !! Then you'd know what is the true meaning of an A$$ Whoppin !!

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Rafale deal: India sign agreement with France to acquire 36 fighter jets
The deal which is worth 7.8 billion Euro comes with a saving of nearly 750 million Euros than the one struck during the previous UPA government, which was scrapped by the Modi government.
BY: EXPRESS WEB DESK | NEW DELHI |Updated: September 23, 2016 1:11 PM

India on Friday signed a 7.8 billion Euro deal with France to acquire 36 Rafale fighter jets, which come equipped with cutting edge long-range missiles such as ‘Meteor’ and ‘Scalp’. French Defence Minister Jean Yves Le Drian arrived in New Delhi on Thursday night to ink the deal, along with the CEO of Dassault Aviation, the makers of Rafale jets.
The deal was signed by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and Le Drian sixteen months after Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced India’s
plans to buy 36 Rafale fighter aircraft in fly away condition during his trip to France.
The deal comes with a saving of nearly 750 million Euros than the one struck during the previous UPA government, which was scrapped by the Narendra Modi government, besides a 50 per cent offset clause. The delivery of the combat aircraft will begin in 36 months and will be completed in 66 months from the date the contract is inked.
The features that make the Rafale a strategic weapon in the hands of IAF is its Beyond Visual Range (BVR) Meteor air-to-air missile with a range in excess of 150 km. Its integration on the Rafale jets will mean IAF can hit targets inside both Pakistan and across the northern and eastern borders while staying within India’s territorial boundary.
Pakistan at present has only a BVR with 80 km range. During the Kargil war, India had used a BVR of 50 km range while Pakistan had none. However, Pakistan later acquired 80-km-range BVR, but now with ‘Meteor’ the balance of power in the air space has again tilted in India’s favour.
‘Scalp’, a long-range air-to-ground cruise missile with a range in excess of 300 km also gives IAF an edge over its adversaries. Sources said the “vanilla price” of just the 36 aircraft is about 3.42 billion Euros. The armaments cost about 710 million Euros while Indian specific changes, including integration of Israeli helmet-mounted displays, will cost 1,700 million Euros. The rest of the cost includes spare parts and maintenance.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Congratulations to the Indian Air Force and Marshal of the Air Force Mr. Arjan Singh for a new aircraft type after a long waiting haul; I hope there are more meaningful types to come.

Chinmoy

Country flag
The Rafale gets bad reviews based on three reasons, all of which will be explained here.
1. The Rafale is highly priced. This is actually due to the fact that the French Armee de l'Air (French Air Force) wanted a plane that could fit the roles of "seven planes in one" (directly translated from the words of a top ranking French official). This would explain the high price.
2. The Russians and the EU (especially the UK), the proponents of the Sukhoi Su-35, MiG 35, and the Eurofighter Typhoon are in utter disappointment over the Rafale's win in the MMRCA and want to destroy its reputation.
3. (This one "piggybacks" off of the second reason.)French company, Dassault, had originally been a part of the Eurofighter consortium before pulling out due to disagreements with other partner nations and corporations. When they pulled out, the Eurofighter-backing nations were surprised to see that Dassault had actually designed a more potent aircraft than they had and wanted to crush the Rafale's export prospects. This is why India would buy this so-called "inferior" jet.:biggrin2:.
WOW................ You are soooo ASSmart.

There are basically two reasons why India is going for Rafale.

1- It was a blunder of previous govt which have to be carried for the sake of diplomacy. Any MoU and government contract can't be scrapped out of blue untill and unless there is a diplomatic failure in between them. But again its diplomacy and I am sure it would be hard for you to understand because its not as simple as " Master said this to do, so it needs to be done".

2- Its coming along with Meteor and SCALP/ Storm Shadow. Which is a bonus offered along with.

bose

Country flag
The Rafale gets bad reviews based on three reasons, all of which will be explained here.
1. The Rafale is highly priced. This is actually due to the fact that the French Armee de l'Air (French Air Force) wanted a plane that could fit the roles of "seven planes in one" (directly translated from the words of a top ranking French official). This would explain the high price.
2. The Russians and the EU (especially the UK), the proponents of the Sukhoi Su-35, MiG 35, and the Eurofighter Typhoon are in utter disappointment over the Rafale's win in the MMRCA and want to destroy its reputation.
3. (This one "piggybacks" off of the second reason.)French company, Dassault, had originally been a part of the Eurofighter consortium before pulling out due to disagreements with other partner nations and corporations. When they pulled out, the Eurofighter-backing nations were surprised to see that Dassault had actually designed a more potent aircraft than they had and wanted to crush the Rafale's export prospects. This is why India would buy this so-called "inferior" jet.:biggrin2:.

How does Rafale measure up to Pakistani JF - 17 ?

You talked about #1 - High price ... there is no free lunch ... good thing have high price
#2 - Disappointment only... no substance..
#3 - Not clear why it is inferior from your post... need clarifications ...

hit&run

Mod
I think the discussions on which aircraft we should have brought be put in archives.

Induction of these jets is still far away and then there will be laborious time consuming learning curve and opening the envelops systematically. Therefore we should put our efforts enriching our threads on those topics rather doing boring comparisons.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Out of the NATO aircraft, I personally preferred the Eurofighter Typhoon to Dassault Rafale. Though I don't think it makes too much of a difference.

I also think that India should look at acquiring aircraft from non-western/non-nato sources, such as Israel, Russia, China, South Korea, and Japan. I think Japan and Russia might make high-quality military planes, and that Israel and South Korea might catch-up soon.

China might be too politically sensitive, but that doesn't mean India should rule out China, because India doesn't keep allies anyway.
i love kimchi :)
and i love the rafale too :):)

Tactical Frog

Country flag
What say .. it is a beautiful day in my frog' s life !
courtesy of Aviator Anil Chopra

It is been a long wait since 2007. May these Rafale serve India well and protect you from all threats ! I am proud of seeing them flying in Indian skies soon .

This is maybe the beginning of a long story if Rafale can also be built in India .. I don't know what to think . Nitin Gokhale seems very sceptical about it .. a very informed person. But Eric Trappier on radio this morning said he is still working on it. Hoping to get more light soon.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles