Know Your 'Rafale'

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
BC F 16 blk 52 kabse SU 30 se superior Dog fighter ho gaya ?

I am not talking about US version of Blk 60 but Degraded ones which Porkies use.

Someone has posted the Radar specs and RCS of Mki, Mig 29k, SMT, blk 52 and JF 17 with a clear winner - Mig 29K and MKI.

That is with Specs alone.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
:pound::pound::pound:
says the kid who compiled the shittiest list of all time-

look who's copy/pasting now. bhai tu kaisa na namoona hai. looks like you've successfully achieved your objective of embarrassing the entire nation with your 3rd grade unoriginal thoughts.
You're right.
Specialy when someone say SH18 is a better dog fighter than EF and Rafale ! SH18 is limited to 7,5G and low powered.... a kind of Tornado GR with a good radar.

Last edited:

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag

PaliwalWarrior

honestly MiG-23 was the lost gem of the Soviets. oh what a fighter it could have been. it's swing-wing design in addition to engine troubles, inadequate radar and non-existent fly-by-wire spelled trouble since its inception. the preference given to MiG-29 since 1970's sounded its death knell. its last variant the MiG-23MLD had ironed out most of the early problems but alas it was too late. even though its cockpit visibility was limited i was always fascinated by this single engine swing wing stinger. damn i'm spending too much time on DFI. need to get a life.

Just think if it was so formidable with all the flaws you are putting here

Then it would have run over Europe and France with the shortfalls you pointed out addressed

smestarz

Country flag
You really want to talk of MMRCA which has been cancelled, there have been many posts, the guy can start from page one to now and shall get the history of it.
I wait my old brother Smestarz saying "because Dassault paid bribes..."

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
You're right.
Specialy when someone say SH18 is a better dog fighter than EF and Rafale ! SH18 is limited to 7,5G and low powered.... a kind of Tornado GR with a good radar.
Where did I say SH is a bettet fighter than EF? Is your eyesight that bad? And I know, according to you Rafale is the all time great, what if few countries think it of as a fighter plane.

sasum

Trappier doesn't say Mig and Su were not used. He just say Mirage were of all wars. (ie, along some others)
You don't know anything. Mirage 2000 was inducted into IAF in 1982. All the full-fledged wars in 1948, 1962, 1965 and 1971 were fought with British and Russian planes.

smestarz

Country flag
Replying to your posts, I am not on crusade or something against Rafale in particular, but maybe on something like that to hope that someone takes actual notice of the state of defence in India.

A plane as per me should be selected by the actual requirement, India is not a small country, and its sizeable as compared to France, When I study the twin engine planes of Europe, I wonder why do these small European countries some of which are almost a little bigger than Kerala want twine engine planes with range of 1000 kms+, I think in a way they first got carried away. The Americans had their F-15 and F/A-18, the Russians had their MiG-29 , Su-27, the Europeans did not have a good fighter plane. What was UK and Italy using prior to Eurofighter? UK was using F-4 Pahntom jet and MRCA Tornado (yes Tornado was designed and marketed as MRCA) Thus the idea was to build a European plane by pooling resources together, There were potential orders from 5 founding members (including France) and there was bigger markets. As these two projects started to put their add ons, these planes actually ended up pricing higher than the planes that they could potentially replace (F-15 F/A-18 and Su-27) not a quantum leap over these planes but definitely quantum jumped for price.

What plane to use as you said depends on factors such as payload, Range, endurance, capability, avionics, cost of flying, cost of maintenance, lifetime of engines and air frame, budget cost of upgrades and perhaps very important, can we customise it to our need and the cost of customisation. I am not from the school of thought that sees planes in weight class, but see the planes in terms of the above. every plane (including transport plane ) fall in the above category. So when some "experts" talk of Rafale being "medium weight" to support their arguement, I feel baffled, I start to question their wisdom.

It is only IAF which has become "Gandhari" and covered their own eyes, and seems in doing so, also ended in covering their ears, and maybe that is why we see them banging their heads all around even when people are trying to give them directions.

Every air force needs a mix, this mix helps to have an asymetrical threat and also keeps the enemy guessing about the tactics. One plane may have flaw (almost every plane has a flaw) but when used in combination with another, it makes the force more potent, it becomes easy to exploit one flaw, but it becomes difficult when its twin threat and maybe with twin flaws but both the flaws are different,

Past many decades have seen the planes becoming more expensive, more capable, and able to do much more than what planes of WW2 could do, Planes like Tejas can carry more load than most WW2 bombers and fly much faster and able to be more effective than maybe a squadron of bomber during WW2, so automaticaly what needed a Squadron to take down a target, that needs two planes to complete the mission, and that has also brought in the need to reduce the squadrons and number of planes. India already has 220+ Su-30 MKI and this fleet is enough to take down PAF in less than a day. But due to the sanctioned strength of 43 Squadrons we need more planes, Now there are some people who want to have Rafale which they say is capable. No one doubts the capability of Rafale, but the point is, "IS IT THE PLANE WE REALLY NEED?"

When Rafale compared with Su-30 MKI, Su-30 MKI dominates Rafale in most attributes, the areas where Rafale apparently has an advantage is
a) Has more pylons (14 vs 12) and carries more war load with just internal fuel.
b) Has engines that do not need more maintenance.

Now the Areas where Su-30 MKI has advantage is
a) More than 200+ in service, much of the content is now Indian
b) Has avionics which was chosen by the air force for specific Indian requirements
c) Cheap to buy, fly, maintain, overall Life cycle costs are much cheaper than Rafale. Even the cost of engines is so low that we can afford to have 6 extra engines per plane.
d) Can carry India, Russian and Israeli missiles A2A missiles, can be customised.we shall need to test and certify the weapons ourselves with some help. in case of Rafale, it all depends on Dassault if they want to allow the weapon to be used or not.
e) Is being modified to carry Brahmos A which can be carried by few planes, Even Rafale wont be able to carry it.
f) Has 12 pylons but high internal fuel capacity enough to give it range of 3000 kms. thus about 10 tons warload, and 3000 kms internal fuel give it good Warload + fuel ability, for Rafale to be able to do the same mission, it would have to use 3 of its wet pylons, for carrying drop tanks, thus upto 7 tons of payload might be used for carrying external drop tanks, and that might leave just 5 tons warload, thus for a long range mission, Rafale would end up carrying 5 tons warload vs 10 tons of war load for Su-30 MKI.
g) We already have established production, overhaul and other facilities, and also well established Spares supply chain (and now the defence minister has fine tuned the system to ensure that the availabity rate is high, and to make a point, during Red flag 2016, Su-30 MKI had 100% availability.

When we talk of Rafale, what we hear is SPECTRA, as per most, SPECTRA is just data fusion of many sensors, same as DASS for Eurofighter Typhoon, but seems SPECTRA has better data fusion which helps pilot to make decisions. There are many claims about how excellent SPECTRA is, but on questioning the details, there is answer that details of SPECTRA is classified. If its classified, where are the leaks from?

India has two immediate threats, Pakistan and China, Pakistan threat can be taken down by most planes that we have in IAF inventory. China is going to be a totally different cup of tea, with it having vast resources. Now the question is that would Rafale be capable enough to taken down Chinese threats? China will not be threatened by any attacks close to border but attacks to its important cities. Rafale cannot attack any important Chinese cities, it simply lacks the range, and if given external fuel tanks, then it lacks the bite, It might be cheaper to give a guy a ticket to China and ask him to throw rock at the building, He might both do the job, and come out safe at fracton of the cost and same results. Rafale if purchased can be used with its full warload, to range of say 700 kms of border, there it does not threaten any chinese cities just maybe some military targets. Now the weapons or missiles that we use will also be expensive (as they are separate weapons package deal) Thus to fly and use Rafale effectively (weapons) we have to depend on France and they would control the price, French missiles are good, but they are controlled by French. so if they are priced high, we shall be pushed to buy them else we keep few hundre million dollar plane it its pen because the weapons package is too expensive. Thus damned if we purchase them, damned if we dont purchase them. So to give an example you get married, and next you realise that all your in-laws tag along. Good luck with honeymoon then.

Weapons are always purchased keeping in mind the next war, Rafale does not bring any advantage against the Chinese, and it does not bring in an edge agaisnt Pakistan whatever capability we have those are good against Pakistan, I believe that if you want to ever go to war, you should do only if you have an unfair advantage, a long war is brutal war and it will take everything down, the disadvantages will be more than benefits. So only plane that can bring such an unfair advantage is PAKFA/FGFA. It is designed for the next war (and not past war). Having that plane will give us confidence and deter PLAAF to try any mischief with India.

With Su-30 MKI we have certified most weapons that we use or plan to use that that offers greater flexibility of weapons, and it brings in lot of options. Further with its better range than Rafale, it gives bigger area of operation and that will also thin out the enemy defence per Sq km. They will need more bigger force to protect a bigger area based on bigger range.

Rafale does not bring in commonality with weapons that we use, the only commonality it brings is with MICAs that we use with 48 Mirage 2000, does it make sense to buy an MMRCA like Rafale only because we have 200 MICAs and we might also use these MICA for Rafale? IAF does not plan to use Rafale just for A2A role, so would it make senee to buy 36 Rafale at 4-5 times the price of Su-30 MKI? If Rafale could use the missiles that IAF has (Russian, Israeli etc) but then the cost of Rafale far outweighs the advantages, Rather the only advantage is that its not Russian but when comapred to Su-30MKI and Su-35, Rafale is found wanting on the points given above.

Please like F-16, Gripen, Mirage 2000 are single engine planes, out of which perhaps the Gripen being the most advance and Mirage 2000 being the least advanced. Actually Tejas, Gripen and F-16 might be at one level together, and Mirage 2000 at much lower level. I would not call them M-MRCA but rather SE-MRCA, rather if you make two categories - Twin Engine and Single engine MRCA it makes more sense firstly because of safety, Since if one engine is lost, the chances of single engine completeing its mission or returning to base is going to be very low probablity, but in case of Twin engine, its good possibility and secondly the the roles. F-5 Tiger was light twin engine plane which was designed primarily as super sonic light fighter and later was able to carry even A2G weapons.

If I had a say in Tejas development, then I would personally prefer Tejas II to be twin engined, perhaps with two small engines whose combined thrust is higher than the GE F-414 engine we plan to use, this is purely due to reliability reasons. Putting two engines does make the plane bigger, but the advantage is the plane becomes more reliable, French consider Mirage 2000 and Rafale both reliable, but still Rafale will be more reliable simply as there are two engines so having two engines is like an insurance policy of safety.
Rather my points for Tejas II might be
a) Twin engine plane (two smaller engines but with good thrust)(
b) Internal targeting pod and EW suite, with Photonic radar possibly or even AESA.
c) Two IRST, so that it has 360 deg coverage.
d) 10 pylons, with the two central pylons good enough to carry 5-6 tons of load itself (possibly Brahmos missiles or can be an enclosed pods to carry different options like F/A-18)
e) Combat Range on hi-Lo-Hi mission to about 600-700 kms

One thing that I might want is NO ACTUAL GLASS COCKPIT, Cockpit in my view is just to put pilot on a plane, most fighter planes you see the pilot has the most commanding position (the only higher being the tail) but rather I want the PILOT INSIDE THE PLANE, instead of the glass cockpit, I would prefer excellent quality LED screens that provide entire picture to the pilot, and the pilot can "see" outside using the cameras on sides and front of the plane and this also can be transmittted to the base via satcom. Due to camera + screen combination, the pilot can have the ability to magnify the view and making visual recognition more easiler. (Trust a pilot to accurately identify the insignia of a plane that is 10 miles away with his vision?) but with good camera and the camera system of internal camera pod of the targeting system at your beck and call, thats possible too. The pilot would get in via the door behind the front landing gear. This small empty space will also keep maybe a small PDW with few magazines in case of some situation.

Thus my path for HAL DRDO is
1. Tejas 1A with AESA and F-414 engine
2. Tejas 2 with AESA or photonic radar with more pylons but two engines but having more combined thrust than the powerful F-414 engine (20-30% higher)
3. AMCA with twin F-414 engine with Photonic radar.

Hey @smestarz finally got the time to reply to your post. let's get on with it.

weight defines range, payload, endurance etc. so depending upon the budget and operational requirements the force has to decide what optimum mixture to field isn't it? of course it's not the Olympics. it's always a hi-lo mix not only due to budget constraints but also to maintain an element of surprise. what if we fielded an entire fleet of Su-30MKIs; only to discover too late that the enemy has discovered a fatal flaw in the jet or our tactics and it's too late to change? and that's why we have dissimilar air combat training, duh?
conventionally medium weight should refer to single engine fighters such as F-16/ Mirage 2000/ Gripen/ Chengdu J-10/ JF-17 in the purest sense but with twin engine jets like F-18/ MiG-29/ Rafale/ Eurofighter the definition gets blurred. twin engine jets regardless of their weight class are inherently more expensive & comparatively difficult to operate and maintain. hence the need for a lightweight fighter vis-a-vis Tejas that fulfills the specified roles without burning a hole in the pocket.

smestarz

Country flag
MIG-29 is an excellent plane, but its main weakness is engine (older engines smoke heavily, and second is avionics, and there are options for both. UAC Corp (the makers of MiGs) themslves would be interested in this project, but it is important to identify the planes with good lifetime on air frames, also the project should involve strenthening the air frame, re-engine it with better engine preferably TVC (not the older Klimovs), putting newer ccentra computer and avionics and of course having option of AESA or PESA. The cost of this upgrade might end up being same as Tejas. It makes sense in a way because IAF has the planes that can take down PAF, but for PLAAF Su-30 MKI will be countered by their own Su-35 and Su-30 MKK that might need the secondary planes to get into picture to assist, And in this MiG-29 should be able to do better. One thing is that no matter what, we should not let anyone or anything undermine tejas project. Tejas would help us to be independent, which many of our "friends" and Air marshalls in IAF do not want because they lose their retirement "benefits". As we have seen that MiG-29 can be upgraded to quite excellent standards and there is Russian company for engine (and perhaps an American one) and Israeli engine for avioinics that can make it one of the most potent 4.5Gen plane without doubt, the best Value for money plane.

Why is it that only India has problem with these planes, MiG-21 in Eastern Europe are still regarded highly. Where we actually failed with MiG-21 is that some of our politicians/bureaucrats got tempted by "low priced, average quality" spares becuase they offered a crazy commission so that the contract value still looked attractive for India and thus in a way, these politicians and Bureaucrats cost IAF some of its good pilots. But that being said, was any action taken on these guilty parties? I think we should make a law in india that for almost half a century any scam can be dug up and gulity punished, and double punishment can be given for a crime against the nation.

I had floated a proposal on another thread regarding this issue some time back. my proposal is a bit more radical. there are 500 MiG-29 in storage around the world. 300 in Russia alone. besides India possesses extensive MiG-29 exclusive repair & overhaul (RoH) facilities not mention that we possess the licence too for producing the Klimov RD-33 series 3 engines domestically. so why not procure these 2nd hand MiG-29 fighters on the cheap and upgrade them by ourselves? it would be an inexpensive solution in the shortest possible time frame to plug the gaps.
before the Su-30MKI, the MiG-29 was IAF's frontline fighter to counter the PAF F-16. after the collapse of the Soviet Union the IAF managed to keep it's MiG-29 fleet's readiness rate at 77-79% by itself inspite of a massive shortage of spares and maintenance personnel which had severely hampered our MiG-21 fleet and look what it turned them into- flying coffins!
here's a link to my post where i've explained in quite some detail-
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...-medium-combat-jets.69156/page-4#post-1081252

LoL! Very well put and it is this statement of yours that convinced me to drop the idea of dreaming about the Rafale besides the possible corruption angle. Earlier it was 50-50. this made it 55-45.

i agree that if we were to go up against China Su-30s would be the only platform to give us an offensive edge. Rafale would be a defensive weapon at best with precision strike capability at medium ranges. in BVR Su-30 smashes the Rafale. In WVR it's more of a 50/50 scenario. coz it ultimately boils down to pilot skill and tactics. Su-30 is a pure kinetic fighter and exceptional at close-in turn battles too. Rafale is in itself a nimble dogfighter and much better than its predecessor Mirage 2000 at it. so i'll call it a draw in WVR.
If a plane can win in BVR why would it want to get into WVR that is the question, and for some reason, people sort of ignore this point. Now there is tech available where you can detect other planes from long distance, and have missiles that can "snipe" these planes from that distance. So why to get into WVR combat? Would a sniper who has Barret 0.5 inch anti material rifle, drop the rifle and try to kill the enemy with knife? The era of mass fights is gone, even getting 100 planes in one sector will be difficult, it becomes hell of a Air traffic scenario. Firstly when you want to attack with 100 planes, you cannot fly them from same base, they have to come from different bases and you have to co-ordinate their travel so that they can come in wave after wave and take the enemy down. And with all sort of avionics being spewed even that will be a nightmare for the AWACS thats controlling this Cluster Fcuk. But once they manage to do it, they have possibly achieved something beautiful.
In present era, a Air superiority fighter is the best plane, because its designed with excellent aerodynamics to take othe planes down, the only thing that can fly faster than a plane is missile, and being good aerodynamically will help you to to survive. There are missiles now, A2G, A2Sh, AT.that can be carried and fired by planes like Su-30 MKI and be very successful even though they are not designed for those roles. A plane, due to excellent A2G smart missiles and glide bombs can conduct CAS while flying top cover and thus conduct two missions CAS as well as air dominance in one go. One does not need to go down and risk flying low to have CAS. One just needs a good targeting pod that can be linked to your friendly forces to give you target co-ordinates, and then you laucnch your glide bombs or guided weapon to hit the enemy where your friendly forces want them, is this not CAS? If the enemy hides behind thick cover or a cave there is nothing a 20 mm or 30 mm cannon can do, but a glided bomb can just enter the mouth of cave and shut it up for good.Rafale is a good plane and happy that France has it, just not wanting to sound bad and hope the forum forgives me. Priyanka Gandhi is attractive, but happy for Robert Vadra that he is married to her (hope you can relate the example)

however your understanding of Russia's air combat philosophy and the reasons behind the development of the Su-30 are somewhat misplaced.
the Su-30 was an export variant of the Su-27 trainer version derived from the base Su-27 fighter which was itself a reactionary counter to the American F-15 & F-14 programs. Funny thing is the F-15 was itself a reactionary development to the MiG-25 which was later replaced by the MiG-31.
i would not discuss Russian air combat philosophy now as it doesn't seem relevant.

you've raised a very valid point of strike vs air superiority. my take is very similar to yours. you can turn a dogfighter into a strike aircraft but the reverse is impossible. hence my immense dislike for the F-35.

Very well put. you have now increased the ratio to 60-40 in Su-30MKI's favour.
Russian doctrine is that fighter planes are single pilot plane. Where as strike or bombers are two man job. If you see most of the russian planes, they follow this doctrine, The Amnericans changed it with F-14 tomcat where they felt that its better that the pilot uses his skills to fly the plane and survive, and the WSO targets the enemy and takes them down, This was good move because Tomcat was a carrier plane and the pilot needed all his skills to safely land. IAF felt that since Su-27 is a big plane and can carry more missiles, it is better for it to have two people flying as that might in a way share the misson load and tasks and hence better chances of success. Since the only twin seater version of any Russian planes are its "U" version whch is trainer, the basic platform was trainer. Trainer is not an inferior version but its that one pilot is an expert and he is training the novice. Flying those planes IAF learnt better about the planes and hence were able to ask with confidence what they wanted in their plane. thus in a way credit goes to IAF pilots to turn a Trainer into one of the worlds best Air dominance plane, so much so that the Russians used the Su-30 MKI as based for Su-30 SM which Russia uses.
Su-27 is a reactionary product simply because both F-15 and MiG-25 / 31 are good planes and very fast, but they are not dog fighters, during their era the A2A missiles were very unreliable, thus if you manage to destroy the target you did manage to do something right. Look at that era, AIM-9 if its tracking you, all you needed was to fly into the sun and it would break lock, AIM-7 was radar guided missile and once outside the range of the radar, the missile is useless. Thus the BVR range few decades ago is now WVR this time. MICA has a range of 50 kms is it BVR or WVR missile? Just to give you an example, Sparrow a Radar guided missile had range between 32-50 kms and as you now know that most radar guided missiles now are BVR missiles and most IR missiles are WVR missiles, The point was that, having a plane fast did not give it ability to shoot the opponent down due to missiles being unreliable, thus there was a need of planes which can fly fast and are nimble. Thus the need of higher, faster, longer, be able to turn, and be able to chase enemy, out turn them and turn well to take down enemy was the need of the hour, and Su-27 fulfilled all those roles. America on other hand did not manage to get it till F-22. This is the time when there was difference in Russian and American thinking. Russians wanted a plane that can do all, they did not want to depend only on missile or radar, maybe its because they were not as advanced or that the R&D funds dried up. And the American doctrine said "wait a minute, we dont need a plane that can dogfight, we need a radar that can detect the enemy, and we want missiles that can do dogfighting for us from distance, so that we dont need to go near" The Russians are closing in on Americans in terms of missiles but still they would like a plane that can turn well and get into dogfight if required

please check your facts dear almighty armchair general before making such a bold statement and embarking on another flawed history lesson.
do you seriously think that our country which prides itself on its non-violent principles and was the founder of the non-aligned movement would ever have the guts to escalate matters with its neighbors by inducting weapons of leading edge tech? well history proves that our divine leaders never had the balls to do so. since independence our defense doctrine has always been a sorry, confused mixture of defensive offensive posturing. and that reflects in our weapons procurement policy. the IAF and the Army have always lagged behind Pakistan technologically till the 1990s and behind China from 1990s onwards. It's only in the late 90's that we started exercising our increasing financial muscle post the 1991 economic liberalisation.
Examples-
1) PAF inducted the F-104 Starfighter in 1961. IAF got it's equivalent the MiG-21 in 1964.
2) USA agreed to export F-16s to Pakistan in 1980 with deliveries commencing in 1982 till 1987. India which was baffled by the introduction of such an advanced aircraft in the sub-continent responded by procuring not one but 3 fighters- MiG-23MF in 1981-82, Mirage 2000 in 1985-86 and MiG-29 from 1987-90. so if that's not reactionary then it's definitely not pioneering.
3) China negotiated the acquisition of Su-27SK in 1991 with deliveries starting from 1992 and continuing till 1997. In 1995 it negotiated an agreement for the licensed production of 200+ fighters. Production of the clone Shenyang J-11 commenced in 1997 and has continued ever since. Moreover the deal for Su-30MKK was negotiated from 1996-98 with deliveries commencing in 2000.
meanwhile our divine leaders woke up to the challenge possessed by the new look PLAAF only in 1994 with the deal for 50 Su-30MK (base variant) signed in 1996 and deliveries commencing in 1998. the final configuration for the Su-30MKI was locked in only by late Dec 2000 with deliveries commencing from 2004.
if you are paying close attention to the timeline by the time IAF received its first Su-30MKI in 2004 the PLAAF already had in its inventory some 200+ odd mixture of Su-27, Su-30MKK & J-11s.
So how could you possibly even say that the Su-30MKI was not a reactionary purchase? definitely well planned & thought out but certainly not the first one to do so.
4) and here's the simplest and most obvious of them all- China became a nuclear power in 1964 and India in 1974. and that too because of the humiliating ass kicking that the Chinese gave us in 1962 which was still fresh in our memories back then.
I think I have illustrated enough as to why the Indian leadership has a reactionary mentality and not the visionary/pioneering one.

i would like to take up the Rafale cost benefit analysis in another post as this one's getting too lengthy.
Cheers @smestarz
We are non-violent, but then the problem is that w have been non-violent too long and that makes countries question our potency. If you seen Iron Man there is a nice dialogue, "The best weapon is one which is use once" that is to tell the oppoment about your potential.You can negotiate peace from position of equality, but then there is a lot of negotiations, But if you negotiate from position of strength, you dictate the terms. To give an example its like there are two boxers in the ring one is you and the other aggresive opponent and he will always try to intimidate you because he believes that if he manages to intimidate you, he will have an upper hand, But if you have a gun in your hand, he will keep the distance, Being peace loving is different than being non-violent as per me. Being non violent is like sitting on your porch and people passing by throw stones and bottles at you, they know you are non-violent. Being peaceful is doing same but with a loaded shot gun on your laps. In both cases you can be peaceful, but then the opponent values your stance of peace.

We have lagged behind China and Pakistan mainly for Political will, The political will was missing. The pakistanis were getting western planes, we had good planes that could counter pakistan but ever never had defence that can counter the Chinese simply because they have a lot of resources at their beck and call. In 1990s China embarked on building infrastructure, better and wider roads connecting the entire eastern China, bigger ports the entire economy was sort of routed to make China the place for business and production. Pre 1990, no one wanted to go to China, post 1990 China managed the system such that investors found it better to invest in China, easier to do business, land and labour was cheap. Lot of local consumers. Suddenly China had two rules one rule for foreign investors. India marketed itself as a poor country till last 2 years. We are one of the biggest buyers of smart phones are we still poor country? But when we market ourself as poor country and whose one of the attraction to the world is "slumdog millionaire" how would the world see India as?
We never marketed india as a place to do business, where business can be promoted, where the environment is good for business, land of opportunities. When you see movie like Munnabhai MMBS where the Korean guy says that he is not interested to see Taj but only poor and hungry people, how do you think the world sees us? There is a lot of misery in China, do they market misery like we do? If you go to any city, the traffic signal will more or less give you an idea about the city. You know what you can find in any traffic signal in any big indian city.. beggars. There are beggars in China, but never at Traffic signals.
What we have is the mental block to grow, to succeed. When we are developing something, we start to doubt our own ability. IAF is not different, that it why it also doubts Tejas. What we first need to do is have sense of national pride and change the national psyche then only we can build a nation, a strong one. We are just a country with wimpy poltiicians and the opposition opposes merely because they are in opposition.

About 1962 that was big blunder by Nehru sending army units behind Chinese lines and not having plan or ability to supply them with food and ammo., One cannot have a guirella war in an inhospitable area without food or supplies.

sasum

:pound::pound::pound:
says the kid who compiled the shittiest list of all time-

look who's copy/pasting now. bhai tu kaisa na namoona hai. looks like you've successfully achieved your objective of embarrassing the entire nation with your 3rd grade unoriginal thoughts.
You dont have to bother about entire Nation. Just learn to take care of your own life.

smestarz

Country flag
FINALLY DID WRITE THAT BIG POST, I DOUBT ANYONE IS GOING TO READ THAT ALL

manutdfan

Just think if it was so formidable with all the flaws you are putting here

Then it would have run over Europe and France with the shortfalls you pointed out addressed
what can i say man...the MiG-23 was promising in so many ways but inadequate on so many of other counts. in some ways the Russians directly jumped from 2nd to 4th gen i.e. from MiG-21 to MiG-29. moreover with the advent of the teen series fighters (F-14/15/16/18) i feel that the 3rd gen i.e. MiG-23 & MiG-25 kind of lost their relevance maybe.

manutdfan

FINALLY DID WRITE THAT BIG POST, I DOUBT ANYONE IS GOING TO READ THAT ALL
ha ha ha nahi bhai aisa nahi hai. both posts were very good and fun reads. i always enjoy the funny anecdotes and hint of sarcasm. i learnt a couple of new things too. i feel that you slightly went overboard with the 'no glass cockpit' thing and i disagree with the CAS role though. hey i had written a treatise on CAS too- http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...-phased-out-in-2017.42323/page-2#post-1064901 why don't you check it out and lemme know your thoughts on it. my point is CAS is best left to CAS specific planes like A-10 and Su-25 or the attack choppers. dogfighters can become strike fighters or strategic bombers and even carry out theatre/battlefield interdiction i.e. ground attack but CAS would be stretching it too far. and this is where i would like to draw your attention to a very serious issue of which 90% of DFI experts are totally unaware of- bar a few attack choppers we have no pure CAS capability. earlier when defensive offensive posturing was our official doctrine it didn't matter much. but if we are to successfully implement Cold Start then we simply cannot do without CAS.
btw i'm very sorry to say that i'm still 60/40 in abandoning the Rafale vs Su-30MKI. it's gotta drop to 80/20 :tongue: i have some thoughts favoring the Rafale though; mostly geo-political considerations which i would like to elaborate in a future post.
many thanks for rationally analysing and backing up the 2nd hand MiG-29 refurbishment proposal. glad somebody thinks along the same rational lines too.
also i been strongly supporting the Tejas initiative for maybe a decade. if i get 3/4 jets for the price of 1 Rafale then fuck it I'm going all in for the Tejas.

sasum

Russians directly jumped from 2nd to 4th gen i.e. from MiG-21 to MiG-29....i feel that the 3rd gen i.e. MiG-23 & MiG-25 kind of lost their relevance maybe.
Pooh !! Do you even know how Generations of warplanes are classified?
Russia also produced Mig25 (Foxbat), SU-15, SU-17, TU-28, though a flop. They are all 3rd Gen fighters. Early version of Mig21 was 2nd Gen, however, Fishbed was 3rd gen.

smestarz

Country flag
The Data what they did not put (or left incomplete) seemed to be the sealed financial bids which were without some datas and those were then given by then ACM NAK Browne. It was not performance data I assume because IAF evaluated them, since the Cost Negotiation Committee was calculating the L1 and the financial bid by Dassault was incomplete at that point Dassault should get disqualified. How can you send an incomplete financial bid?

At the end of trials, 2 fighters meet a maximum of targets : Rafale and EF.

The only "requirments" lacking at the beginning were some datas. Dassault seemed to send it late.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
You really want to talk of MMRCA which has been cancelled, there have been many posts, the guy can start from page one to now and shall get the history of it.
So... "Bon courage" to him.

The fact is : Rafale emerge as L1 and is always on track. Despite all attacks.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
So maybe you should listen your own advice and don't write BS about Russian weapons you know nothing about? :)
Why to compare Russian tanks (most cases outdated for the time) in Arabian hands against Western (cutting edge for the time) in Israeli hands? It is stupid.
We could compare them if they were the same year modifications and Russian ones were in Russian hands.
In this case I presume a lot of work for Arabian metal wreckage collectors towing Israeli wrecks for sale :)
The stupid Guy say :
Israelis used those time Chieftain and Patton. Not Leopard2 or Abrams... Patton was never a cutting edge tank....
T72 with 125mm gun ! Patton only 105 and Chieftain 120. One of the T72 asset was its mobility.
But despite a heavy gun, and mobility : they were smashed. It's a fact thats all.

Kisses from the stupid Guy bro.

PaliwalWarrior

The stupid Guy say :
Israelis used those time Chieftain and Patton. Not Leopard2 or Abrams... Patton was never a cutting edge tank....
T72 with 125mm gun ! Patton only 105 and Chieftain 120. One of the T72 asset was its mobility.
But despite a heavy gun, and mobility : they were smashed. It's a fact thats all.

Kisses from the stupid Guy bro.
So are you admitting that Russia had better cutting edge weapons far ahead of the western nations ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles