Know Your 'Rafale'

Scarface

When are the 36 rafales being delivered to India ? Any specific time period ?

Also what about METEOR ?
For rafale to be a true multirole it must have a good BVR missile and MICA doesn't cut it anymore. Can we expect the Rafales to be METEOR compatible by the time deliveries are done ?

Vaisakh

I don't think Indian airforce need a fighter like Rafael ,indeed I will go with hal tejas instead.it can also be used as a multirole fighter like Rafael.currently Indian airforce is having depleting squadrens that does not means that our sky is vulnerable
Near future India will retire remaining MIG 21,MIG 27 of course there is a big gap,in order to fill the gap India need to increase the production of our tejas aircraft.

Iam worrying about only one thing with tejas ,unlike other fighter like MIG 27 tejas can not drop heavy munition .
I heard rumors like iaf will be looking for other fighter,if they are going for other opt for heavy bomber so that no one will dare to touche

rohit b3

Country flag
I don't think Indian airforce need a fighter like Rafael ,indeed I will go with hal tejas instead.it can also be used as a multirole fighter like Rafael.currently Indian airforce is having depleting squadrens that does not means that our sky is vulnerable
Near future India will retire remaining MIG 21,MIG 27 of course there is a big gap,in order to fill the gap India need to increase the production of our tejas aircraft.

Iam worrying about only one thing with tejas ,unlike other fighter like MIG 27 tejas can not drop heavy munition .
I heard rumors like iaf will be looking for other fighter,if they are going for other opt for heavy bomber so that no one will dare to touche
Tejas was meant to be a replacement for the 250 odd Mig21s. Both are Light Fighters.
Su-30MKI should be replacing the 80 Mig27s.
However you said Tejas cant drop heavy ammunition like Mig27? Mig27 can have an armanament load of 4000 kgs. Tejas mk1 can carry 3500 kgs of external armaments . Thats very much comparable. Tejas mk1A and mk2 would be able to carry even more.

Punya Pratap

Country flag
Tejas was meant to be a replacement for the 250 odd Mig21s. Both are Light Fighters.
Su-30MKI should be replacing the 80 Mig27s.
However you said Tejas cant drop heavy ammunition like Mig27? Mig27 can have an armanament load of 4000 kgs. Tejas mk1 can carry 3500 kgs of external armaments . Thats very much comparable. Tejas mk1A and mk2 would be able to carry even more.
@rohit b3 I dont think Mk 1A will have much improvement when it comes to MTOW and only Mk 2 will be 4000 plus

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
THe GoI refuses to entertain IAF hankering for 44 more rafales,

Says LCA Tejas is the way to go

haha good job

IAF thought after GoI - agreed to buy 36 rafales

IAF tried to give a Lollipop to GoI by saying we are looking forward to induct more Tejas

then made a play for forcing GoI to buy 44 more rafales

BUt the GoI stood firm and refused
hello paiwalw. until this day I can't connect on "old" indian defense forum. You know why?

garg_bharat

Country flag
Indigenous production is the only way to increase fighter numbers. The French are not a long term solution, not in fighters, not in other critical military needs. Better india realises it needs to get away from French fatal attraction.

garg_bharat

Country flag
I have said before and I say now, Rafale will not materialize even after paying. EU politics is getting worse by the day and French are difficult to read.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Indians are slow learners specially in the military field. Hindus lack a military culture. This manifests in serious mistakes in geopolitical arena. Same continues in military procurement.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Indigenous production is the only way to increase fighter numbers. The French are not a long term solution, not in fighters, not in other critical military needs. Better india realises it needs to get away from French fatal attraction.
You were and are very happy with Mirage 2000. It will be at least the same with Rafale. But Rafale more powerfull, more versatile, more efficient.
You're right to developp your Tejas, but you find it's a harsh way to developp your own fighter.... and Tejas is not mature yet.

Scarface

You were and are very happy with Mirage 2000. It will be at least the same with Rafale. But Rafale more powerfull, more versatile, more efficient.
You're right to developp your Tejas, but you find it's a harsh way to developp your own fighter.... and Tejas is not mature yet.
You forgot to mention the part where it costs twice the amount of most fighters,even 5th Gen ones

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
I never understood,what the hell is this Medium (Rafale) and Heavy (Flankers) category, and its need,most of the Air forces induct aircraft based on Generation,4th gen,4.5 gen.

36 Rafales don't even make sense for Western front let alone China,who will have 800 - 1000 4.5 (J,SU 35) and 5th Gen fighters in near future,prototypes ready.

More than Rafales,we urgently need PAK FA,in good numbers,MKIs to be upgraded with AESAs,and at least 80 ~ Rafales not 36,otherwise get ready to loose territory in Arunanchal and Laddakh in swift Military invasion of PLA,Delhi is within Range of PLA artillery,while Pakis launches their attack from POK region.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
You forgot to mention the part where it costs twice the amount of most fighters,even 5th Gen ones
What are your source? Rafale must be sold at the end of this month to India at a cost of +/- 80 $billion each. Just add weapon, support, training (like all fighter).

Rafale cost more than a single engine fighter, but not more than another twin (except chinese and russian ones). And the sole so called 5th generation is F22... It cost a eye, even to operate. F35? not induced, not cost stabilised, no information available about its operational costs. My opinion is that this F35 will be a great desagrement for their owners. It's only the cost to paid to be under the US umbrella. In A to A role it will be outmached even by a pak JF17.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
I never understood,what the hell is this Medium (Rafale) and Heavy (Flankers) category, and its need,most of the Air forces induct aircraft based on Generation,4th gen,4.5 gen.

36 Rafales don't even make sense for Western front let alone China,who will have 800 - 1000 4.5 (J,SU 35) and 5th Gen fighters in near future,prototypes ready.

More than Rafales,we urgently need PAK FA,in good numbers,MKIs to be upgraded with AESAs,and at least 80 ~ Rafales not 36,otherwise get ready to loose territory in Arunanchal and Laddakh in swift Military invasion of PLA,Delhi is within Range of PLA artillery,while Pakis launches their attack from POK region.
PAK FA is far from being induced. 7 years is a minimum. Rafale is ready, fully mature, with a lot of new technology to come. With spectra it don't need other stealth treatment.

Scarface

What are your source? Rafale must be sold at the end of this month to India at a cost of +/- 80 $billion each. Just add weapon, support, training (like all fighter).

Rafale cost more than a single engine fighter, but not more than another twin (except chinese and russian ones). And the sole so called 5th generation is F22... It cost a eye, even to operate. F35? not induced, not cost stabilised, no information available about its operational costs. My opinion is that this F35 will be a great desagrement for their owners. It's only the cost to paid to be under the US umbrella. In A to A role it will be outmached even by a pak JF17.
The Qatar,Egypt and our own deal is my source.

Bornubus

PAK FA is far from being induced. 7 years is a minimum. Rafale is ready, fully mature, with a lot of new technology to come. With spectra it don't need other stealth treatment.
I agree,but 36 is too small for big AF like India,with a 2 front war Doctrine,Rafale outclass MKI,if its equipped with AESA.

PAKFA is a pipe dream as of today.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
The Qatar,Egypt and our own deal is my source.
Have you a singe idea of the package of weapons and training and support behind these 2 contracts ? sure not.

The net price of the sole fighter is around 80 USD billion.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
I agree,but 36 is too small for big AF like India,with a 2 front war Doctrine,Rafale outclass MKI,if its equipped with AESA.

PAKFA is a pipe dream as of today.
The more difficult will be the first sale. After that, and the first returns of the indian pilots, other contracts will follow.

Bornubus

The more difficult will be the first sale. After that, and the first returns of the indian pilots, other contracts will follow.
36 are coming,there is no turning back,i hope more will follow through the involvement of HAL,assemble in India.

Scarface

Have you a singe idea of the package of weapons and training and support behind these 2 contracts ? sure not.

The net price of the sole fighter is around 80 USD billion.
I have comparisons to gauge it with.
Australia is buying twice the amount of F-35s (72)and weapons, trainings and facilities for 12.6bn as opposed to India's 36 Rafales which may or may not include weapons for 9bn

Saudi had a deal 72 Typhoons for 4.4bn IIRC

Also I think you are confused between million and billion. 80 billion per fighter would be a nightmare.

Global Defence

Articles