Know Your 'Rafale'

StealthFlanker

Country flag
Yes, a stealthy plane is an asset.
But stealthy is today only in X band. Not in low radar bands or in IR bands
That is nothing but a myth, even a metal model of F-117 without RAM has RCS of -18 dBsm in a wide arc at 2 Ghz

And I think every radar manufacturer is working on anti stealth technics, even with on board "small" radars (ie not in low bands).
low band radar have inferior resolution to high band radar of the same size
also small radar are not "anti stealth" by any means

WolfPack86

Country flag
According to reports #Russia has signed an estimated $2 billion contract for the supply of more than 12 Su-35 fighter jets to #Egypt. Egypt also will operate 24 Mig-35s and 24 Rafales. Besides Egypt also operates F-16s and Mirage-2000s.

RaBe

Is this guys analysis correct.

I think he is on the money and also included OTC (One time costs) for the India specific Rafale upgrades. This cost would not be included in future though.

Last edited:

Snowcat

Country flag
I think he is on the money and also included OTC (One time costs) for the India specific Rafale upgrades. This cost would not be included in future though.
Do you have any idea of India specific rafale upgrades , if you do , can you please share here .?

RaBe

Do you have any idea of India specific rafale upgrades , if you do , can you please share here .?
I know some of them:
1) LITENING POD - That we use on other fighters would be added to RAFALE too
2) Integration of Israeli PGMs (Balakot Fame: Spice Bombs)
3) Meteor integration was just done last month
4) Integration of ALARM Missile
5) EW Spectra Suite
6) X-Guard Towed decoy system
7) TARGO-2 HMDS system
8) M88 Engine modification for high-Altitude operations and performance
9) Increasing the capacity of OBOGS
10) Addition of DRDO's Quad pad Ejectors

There may be others I may not be aware of but This OTC is EUR1.8Billion

Then in the Armament list as you may have already guessed two of them from above list
1) MBDA's Meteor Missile
2) ALARM Missile
3) Storm Shadow Missile

Maintenance and overhaul facility and spares contract for 10 years (Which we NEVER used to get when buying Russian weapons since 1960's - Which is the reason why we always have lack of spares and sometimes we ask Russia and some other times Ukraine and some scrupulous agents also sold refurbished and old parts that were filed and resold as new, to top it all we used to send AN-32's all the way to USSR/Ukraine for repairs which used to be VERY costly since we did not have any repair centers here - This happened for 20 years and finally in 2009 an agreement was signed in 2009 for local repairs - In this whole process we LOST 40 AN-32 to cannibalization and other incidents out of 105 we got from them. We lost more than $600 Million worth of planes like that)

1) There would 2 such facilities built for repairing and overhauling Rafale (Including Training center for parts and various programs)

If I made any mistake - Please let me know I will correct it.

Last edited:

WolfPack86

Country flag
#BREAKING After Balakot, IAF plans to equip Mirage 2000 aircraft with long-range Meteor missiles

The Indian Air Force is keenly considering arming the Mirage 2000 aircraft with potent long-range Meteor missiles as the 27 February dogfight highlighted that Indian aircraft were outranged by Pakistan Air Force in aerial combat. With the Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile Meteor, the balance will once again tilt in India’s favour the way it happened during the Kargil war in 1999 when the Pakistan Air Force did not dare to close in because India had better air-to-air missiles.

On 27 February, at the Line of Control (LoC), Pakistan’s F-16 fighter jets, armed with AIM-120 Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile, or AMRAAM, had targeted India’s frontline fighter aircraft Su-30 MKI. The Indian fighters, armed with R-73 and R-77 air-to-air missiles, could not target the F-16s because they were outranged as the F-16s were fired from a distance of about 45 km from the LoC.

It is only when a Mig-21 Bison, flown by Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman, chased an intruding Pakistani fighter jet across the LoC that it got a lock on and shot it down.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi had later said that if the IAF had Rafale fighter jets, then the outcome would have been different.Top IAF officials told ThePrint that it indeed would have been the case.“Rafale armed with Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile Meteor would have been a huge deterrent as no Pakistani aircraft would have dared to come close by at least 100 km,” an official said.

Mirage 2000 armed with Meteors

The IAF, which is upgrading three squadrons of Mirage 2000s, is now keenly thinking about integrating the Meteor on them.“The Meteor on the Mirage is something which we are keenly looking into. When the upgrade deal was signed with Dassault Aviation for the Mirages, the Meteor was still in the developing phase. And hence this would be a fresh deal. We are looking into the cost-effectiveness and other issues,” a top IAF source told ThePrint.

The Air Force is looking at a combination of BrahMos NG, Israeli Derby, Meteor, indigenous Astra, R-73 and R-77 to gain aerial superiority.

“There is no class of missiles in Pakistan and China that can match the Meteor at this point of time. However, China is investing heavily on indigenous cruise missiles and long-range missiles. Any missile that China will make will eventually get into the hands of Pakistan,” another IAF source said.

The Indian Air Force had the upper hand during the Kargil war because Pakistan did not have a BVR, but India did. However, since then, they have acquired the AMRAAM, which tilted the balance in their favour.

IAF’s plan for Meteor on Su-30 MKI and Tejas goes kaput

The IAF’s initial plan to equip the Su-30 MKI and the Tejas with Meteor has gone kaput because the European firm, MBDA, refused to integrate them.

The MBDA told the IAF that it cannot integrate the missile, with a range of over 120 km and a no-escape zone of 60 km, on a Russian platform or the Tejas, which uses Israeli radar.

However, following heavy negotiations between the European firm and the IAF, the MBDA has agreed to reconsider once indigenous AESA radar, manufactured by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), is installed on board the Tejas Mark 1A or Mark II.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TeamAMCA/photos/?ref=page_internal

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
According to reports #Russia has signed an estimated $2 billion contract for the supply of more than 12 Su-35 fighter jets to #Egypt. Egypt also will operate 24 Mig-35s and 24 Rafales. Besides Egypt also operates F-16s and Mirage-2000s.
Next time russia report said an Egyptian Rafale crashed.... and it was wrong.
So...... wait and see the reality.

A french source said next week that the US component that blocked the SCALP sell to Egypt (ITAR) was now replace. So a futur sell of 12 to 24 Rafale (+ SCALP) is hot.

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
#BREAKING After Balakot, IAF plans to equip Mirage 2000 aircraft with long-range Meteor missiles

The Indian Air Force is keenly considering arming the Mirage 2000 aircraft with potent long-range Meteor missiles as the 27 February dogfight highlighted that Indian aircraft were outranged by Pakistan Air Force in aerial combat. With the Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile Meteor, the balance will once again tilt in India’s favour the way it happened during the Kargil war in 1999 when the Pakistan Air Force did not dare to close in because India had better air-to-air missiles.

On 27 February, at the Line of Control (LoC), Pakistan’s F-16 fighter jets, armed with AIM-120 Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile, or AMRAAM, had targeted India’s frontline fighter aircraft Su-30 MKI. The Indian fighters, armed with R-73 and R-77 air-to-air missiles, could not target the F-16s because they were outranged as the F-16s were fired from a distance of about 45 km from the LoC.

It is only when a Mig-21 Bison, flown by Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman, chased an intruding Pakistani fighter jet across the LoC that it got a lock on and shot it down.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi had later said that if the IAF had Rafale fighter jets, then the outcome would have been different.Top IAF officials told ThePrint that it indeed would have been the case.“Rafale armed with Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile Meteor would have been a huge deterrent as no Pakistani aircraft would have dared to come close by at least 100 km,” an official said.

Mirage 2000 armed with Meteors

The IAF, which is upgrading three squadrons of Mirage 2000s, is now keenly thinking about integrating the Meteor on them.“The Meteor on the Mirage is something which we are keenly looking into. When the upgrade deal was signed with Dassault Aviation for the Mirages, the Meteor was still in the developing phase. And hence this would be a fresh deal. We are looking into the cost-effectiveness and other issues,” a top IAF source told ThePrint.

The Air Force is looking at a combination of BrahMos NG, Israeli Derby, Meteor, indigenous Astra, R-73 and R-77 to gain aerial superiority.

“There is no class of missiles in Pakistan and China that can match the Meteor at this point of time. However, China is investing heavily on indigenous cruise missiles and long-range missiles. Any missile that China will make will eventually get into the hands of Pakistan,” another IAF source said.

The Indian Air Force had the upper hand during the Kargil war because Pakistan did not have a BVR, but India did. However, since then, they have acquired the AMRAAM, which tilted the balance in their favour.

IAF’s plan for Meteor on Su-30 MKI and Tejas goes kaput

The IAF’s initial plan to equip the Su-30 MKI and the Tejas with Meteor has gone kaput because the European firm, MBDA, refused to integrate them.

The MBDA told the IAF that it cannot integrate the missile, with a range of over 120 km and a no-escape zone of 60 km, on a Russian platform or the Tejas, which uses Israeli radar.

However, following heavy negotiations between the European firm and the IAF, the MBDA has agreed to reconsider once indigenous AESA radar, manufactured by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), is installed on board the Tejas Mark 1A or Mark II.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TeamAMCA/photos/?ref=page_internal
Why not. Not the first time I read that, specially from Indian forumers.

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
I know some of them:
1) LITENING POD - That we use on other fighters would be added to RAFALE too
2) Integration of Israeli PGMs (Balakot Fame: Spice Bombs)
3) Meteor integration was just done last month
4) Integration of ALARM Missile
5) EW Spectra Suite
6) X-Guard Towed decoy system
7) TARGO-2 HMDS system
8) M88 Engine modification for high-Altitude operations and performance
9) Increasing the capacity of OBOGS
10) Addition of DRDO's Quad pad Ejectors

There may be others I may not be aware of but This OTC is EUR1.8Billion

Then in the Armament list as you may have already guessed two of them from above list
1) MBDA's Meteor Missile
2) ALARM Missile
3) Storm Shadow Missile

Maintenance and overhaul facility and spares contract for 10 years (Which we NEVER used to get when buying Russian weapons since 1960's - Which is the reason why we always have lack of spares and sometimes we ask Russia and some other times Ukraine and some scrupulous agents also sold refurbished and old parts that were filed and resold as new, to top it all we used to send AN-32's all the way to USSR/Ukraine for repairs which used to be VERY costly since we did not have any repair centers here - This happened for 20 years and finally in 2009 an agreement was signed in 2009 for local repairs - In this whole process we LOST 40 AN-32 to cannibalization and other incidents out of 105 we got from them. We lost more than $600 Million worth of planes like that)

1) There would 2 such facilities built for repairing and overhauling Rafale (Including Training center for parts and various programs)

If I made any mistake - Please let me know I will correct it.
Litening is not selected yet, even if already in the Indian arsenal. Talios is always on the table.
Spice bomb is not selected yet, even if in the Indian arsenal. AASM "Hammer" always on the table (and fully integrated)
Meteor Integration : was part of F3R. It's not an indian specification (except if India need more than 2 on each plane...).
ALARM integartion? First time I read that. The missile is no more in production...
Spectra evolution : YES, in low band.
Towed decoy? I don't know. that means a pylon is dedicated to that. Why not. There is also a consumable active decoy on track.
Helmet : YES.
M88 high and cold : YES.
OBOGS? I don't know. Probably.
Quad pad ejector : I don't know. But a nice idea.

Articles