Know Your 'Rafale'

vishwaprasad

Country flag
We don't have 40 Rafale to spare. The only surplus aircraft are Mirage F1 and M2000. Beefing up the M2000 fleet isn't a bad idea but no Rafale can be obtained without new orders. The production line is only 40% capacity so you should order now and can be inducted in two years.
so sad....and what to say about our MOD...I am really getting frustrated with this delay.

btw what is total numbers of Rafale in French air force and navy?

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
so sad....and what to say about our MOD...I am really getting frustrated with this delay.

btw what is total numbers of Rafale in French air force and navy?
There are 106 Rafale in service. I am really getting frustrated with low production numbers. Old SEM and F1s cannot fly forever. Indian deal will lower costs so we can buy more.

Zebra

Country flag
Can anybody say something about the Rafale deal, that when France is not ready to share the ToT and most of the aircrasfts will come as kits.

If it is true than why GoI consider Rafale as a contender in MRCA from the first day?

vishwaprasad

Country flag
Thanks Armand....hope situation improves faster and India, UAE, Brazil seal the deal faster :thumb:

arya

Country flag
mmrca should be a closed chapter now , better we should look some other option

arya

Country flag
I do not think its possible now. Your source must be having some wrong info
well as per my source either we will decrease the order number or there are few top peoples who want to cancel the order .

we should give more importance to lca

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
State your source.. ( Link / article / Interview )

Both LCA and MRCA are important, you cannot reduce anyone of them....

Its not like if you reduce MRCA will increase LCA, Both platform have different duties...

p2prada

well as per my source either we will decrease the order number or there are few top peoples who want to cancel the order .

Sorry but tell your source it is not happening.

The order numbers will stay the same or only go up.

abingdonboy

Country flag

I'm sorry but I simply don't buy this. 126 was in the RFI/RFP so that is the minimum the IAF will get. By most accounts the order will almost certainly increase to 190-200. LCA is still far from service and anyway even MK.II won't be comparable to T3 standard Rafale IAF will get.

vishwaprasad

Country flag
I think Arya does not have any source....just like all Indians here he is also worried about this deal and delays...he is afraid of deal getting cancelled because of political turmoil, cost escalations etc.... and wants to hear something GOOD about the deal from others......

Last edited:

sathya

May be French is already asking for more...

i hope this doesnt go like mirage upgrade deal, and get delayed ..

cloud_9

Country flag
Important development not directly related to Indian MMRCA.

Exclusive: Brazil delays jets decision until 2013; Boeing ascendant
(Reuters) - Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff has decided to wait until mid-2013 to make a decision on a multibillion-dollar Air Force jets contract, and Boeing's chances of winning the deal have improved due to its recent alliances with local aircraft maker Embraer, two senior officials told Reuters.

The contract to overhaul Brazil's Air Force with more than 36 new fighter jets will be worth at least $4 billion and is one of the most closely watched defense deals in the emerging-market world. The finalists are Boeing, France's Dassault Aviation and Sweden's Saab.

Rousseff plans to apprise U.S. President Barack Obama of the delay during a possible meeting on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly this week, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Rousseff herself will make the final decision on the jets, which will help mold Brazil's military and strategic alliances in coming decades as it seeks to establish itself as a major global power.

The contract is on hold in part for budget reasons, one of the officials said. Rousseff just emerged from a tough battle with public workers over wage increases, and it would be politically difficult for her to approve billions of dollars in spending for military hardware so soon after alleging that finances are tight.

"The (internal) conversations have become more specific and more focused and I think we're getting close to a decision," the official said. "But it's not going to be announced in 2012."

The tender has dragged on for more than a decade through three successive Brazilian governments, and picking the winner has become a bit like placing odds on a soccer match that never actually gets played. Nevertheless, news of Rousseff's deliberations has been closely followed and has sometimes moved the finalists' share prices, in part because of the lack of major defense deals in Europe and the United States.

Reuters reported in February that Rousseff was leaning toward Dassault's Rafale. However, since then new concerns have emerged about the Rafale's high cost and especially the terms of the technology-sharing that Rousseff believes are the most important factors in the deal, the officials said.

Meanwhile, Boeing has earned points by announcing a series of partnerships with Embraer, which is aggressively expanding its defense operations. Embraer said in July that Boeing will supply weapons systems for its Super Tucano fighter, and the U.S. company is also helping develop Embraer's KC-390 military transport and refueling jet.

Reuters also reported in February that Boeing has frozen the price on its bid since 2009, an unusual step that is believed to have amplified the F-18's cost advantage over the Rafale. The per-unit cost of the jets has not been made public.

"Boeing is definitely looking better in the last few months," a second official said.

Saab is still seen as a distant third in the talks, both officials said.

Defense officials say Rousseff must make a decision soon because the existing Brazilian Air Force fleet is becoming increasingly obsolete and expensive to maintain. Brazil is also under pressure to increase its defense capabilities as it prepares to host the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic Games.

Articles