Kaveri Engine

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
It wont be used for LCA or any other fighter aircraft with humans. That does not means that we wont be using it for UCA project.

pmaitra

The government needs to do all it can to make sure that the scientists who have laboured on this project do not get demoralized.

I agree with Henry Ford via Mr. @sayareakd, and I will add that the project in total might have failed, but there were successes in segments of the project.

Hopefully, the next engine is going to be a much better design, and a successful one.

Last edited by a moderator:

sgarg

Great inspiring words from many posters. I think the government has not abandoned the project yet. DRDO is correct as DRDO cannot meet IAF's goals. If DRDO is asked to chase an impossible dream, then the result will be failure only.

IAF DOES NOT understand research and development. IAF has a poor understanding of technology. This results in total disconnect of IAF from reality.

Many people inside IAF have very low opinion of IAF leadership. IAF is one branch of services that requires a thorough overhaul.

Android

DRDO has already sanctioned 300 crs for GTRE with another 700 cr to be sanctioned soon for future projects to be undertaken by GTRE.
A seperate proposal of 2600cr for development of an engine for an ambitious project is also under consideration. So altogether it just looks like a name change,a new engine design where past experience can be used to come up with some thing better then we already have. It could either be an engine for either AMCA or UCAV.but name change did make it easy to get more funds,thts wt i think.

Last edited:

sgarg

@Android, just name change is not sufficient. If planning is faulty, the new project will also fail.

The incompetence of HAL will play into ALL ENGINE PROJECTS.

My opinion is clear - we must persist and remove roadblocks. Defeatist attitude IS NOT THE WAY.

Android

@Android, just name change is not sufficient. If planning is faulty, the new project will also fail.

My opinion is clear - we must persist and remove roadblocks. Defeatist attitude IS NOT THE WAY.
Agreed,non can shy away from the fact that the project has been a failure, due to many reasons & faults in the defence industry itself.

sgarg

self delete
What is your point? I already know what you just said.

India produces missiles today because it persisted. There were plenty of failures. A country the size of India need to learn to be patient. Success will not come easily.

I have full confidence in the scientists. These people need support of the country.

The job of GOI is to provide EVERYTHING these scientists need.

sgarg

Let us see it this way. We have slightly more than 50% local content in LCA Tejas. We did that will an outlay of 3+ billion dollars. The remaining 50% will also need 3+ billion dollars. At least we need to budget that much.

Last edited:

Jagdish58

Sad news after so much blood sweating and hard work project is going to close

Hope GTRE will use the tech as base and develop future aero engines and its spin off

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
They are turning Kaveri engine into smaller lighter non- afterburner engine for use in Drones and trainers ..

sgarg

Sad news after so much blood sweating and hard work project is going to close

Hope GTRE will use the tech as base and develop future aero engines and its spin off
The government has not yet taken a decision. DRDO is telling GOI we cannot deliver as per specs, which was probably well known for a long time.
It does not mean that current turbine which produces x amount of thrust cannot be debugged and used.

The turbine should be taken to its logical conclusion - that it works flawlessly even if it delivers less power.

This turbine can be used in ships, in UCAVs, and possibly in a future attack plane.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Guys it is not that it is end of life. Kaveri was learning for us. It created infrastructure for testing. Still we dont have high altitude testing and test bed on transport plane.

They are going to restart the new engine development programme. We will now dependant on US for LCA Engines.

Lets start a fresh again with new and higher objectives.

PaliwalWarrior

Arey bhai

HAL is nowhere within 100 miles of Kaveri picture

pl get it out of your mind too

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Only HAL has industrial facilities for building an aviation turbine. Show me where such facilities exist in GTRE?
The knowledge required to design the engine and metallurgy required for brand new SCB design and the thermodynamic expertise don't reside in HAL. machine shops don't build new break through projects. thsy get the design and know how from design houses and build as per the instructions. So GTRE is the only solution.

sgarg

The knowledge required to design the engine and metallurgy required for brand new SCB design and the thermodynamic expertise don't reside in HAL. machine shops don't build new break through projects. thsy get the design and know how from design houses and build as per the instructions. So GTRE is the only solution.
This is where DRDO made the mistake in Kavery. Mature production processes are required for DESIGN PROCESS ITSELF. How much industrial experience GTRE has??

You can buy machines for trial production but that does not give you experience. There is no substitute for experience.

Only HAL has built aviation turbines in this country. No engine project can succeed without HAL. And no engine project can succeed due to HAL. HAL is the biggest problem in Indian aviation industry.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles