Kaveri Engine

karn

Country flag
Multiple agencies have been reporting the current lot of 8 nos dry thrust version of the Kaveri TF is being mfgd by Godrej since 2022 & you're singing a different note out here .

For indigenization of the AL-31FP & up rating it which is what a part of Project Ganga is all about in keeping with the IAF SQRs for this TF , DRDO will have to be roped with GTRE playing the role of the lead integrator with other DRDO labs contributing & HAL functioning as the production agency.

If HAL were so competent as a development agency , we'd have developed indigenous FAs & various other vital components like the TF long ago.

Look at the progress of the HTFE. It was kicked off in ~ 2012-13 & was supposed to have been certified by 2022-23 . The date's now been pushed to 2030 & even that's not a certainty.
Look .. you claimed that GTRE is working on Al 31 the burden of proof lies with you .
On my side I'm going by what each agency is actually working on .
"If HAL was so competent they would do x y" . How is that even relevant ? GTRE has been working on the Kaveri since the 80s.
HAL are the production partner for the al 31 , they know which parts need to be localised , what specs the parts need to have , they have the SOPs for testing the engines they produced .
Regardless .. get an actual official doc that GTRE is working on the al 31 or this entire line is utterly pointless.

Azaad

Country flag
Look .. you claimed that GTRE is working on Al 31 the burden of proof lies with you .
On my side I'm going by what each agency is actually working on .
"If HAL was so competent they would do x y" . How is that even relevant ? GTRE has been working on the Kaveri since the 80s.
HAL are the production partner for the al 31 , they know which parts need to be localised , what specs the parts need to have , they have the SOPs for testing the engines they produced .
Regardless .. get an actual official doc that GTRE is working on the al 31 or this entire line is utterly pointless.
Presumably you have proof this is the Kaveri , is it ? How about following your own 2 penny advice about the burden of proof resting with you & presenting it out here in support of your claims that this is the Kaveri with a 80 KN AFB specs being mfgd ?

karn

Country flag
Presumably you have proof this is the Kaveri , is it ? How about following your own 2 penny advice about the burden of proof resting with you & presenting it out here in support of your claims that this is the Kaveri with a 80 KN AFB specs being mfgd ?
My proof is the existing projects undertaken by the respective agencies , as I mentioned in my post.

Javelin_Sam

Country flag
HAL is the only agency involved with the the AL31 . GTRE is nowhere in the picture leave alone getting tasked with anything.

It's only your assumption that dry and wet Kaveri need to be in serial. Godrej already has the contract for producing the kaveris for the UAV.
HAL is only involved with making the AL 31F as per the specifications given by Russians. To have the know how of developing the critical hot sections is all different ball game. Only GTRE(with whatever success they have till now) has that expertise on that. And these PSUs do not work in isolation. If HAL is taking up something without Russian help, then GTRE will be involved. There is no doubt about that.

karn

Country flag
HAL is only involved with making the AL 31F as per the specifications given by Russians. To have the know how of developing the critical hot sections is all different ball game. Only GTRE(with whatever success they have till now) has that expertise on that. And these PSUs do not work in isolation. If HAL is taking up something without Russian help, then GTRE will be involved. There is no doubt about that.
The rfi Is for the cold section . So not sure where the hot section comes into the picture

karn

Country flag
I'm not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it . If you'll have info that GTRE is making a Desi al 31 class engine I would be equally happy.

Azaad

Country flag
GTRE has only one engin in development so that is presumed candidate. Still waiting for your proof however.
Then I suggest you read up more on GTRE's Project Ganga meant to indigenize & up rate the AL-31 FP .

Azaad

Country flag
Oh I've heard of it .. just random fanboy speculations . Gimme something more concrete.
That's all there is which according to you is fanboy speculations just as your fanboy speculation of the Kaveri being mfgd to a tech spec of 80 KN when the Kaveri program itself is in limbo with no known sources of funds for further development except for the dry thrust version of the Kaveri to power the Ghatak.

karn

Country flag
That's all there is which according to you is fanboy speculations just as your fanboy speculation of the Kaveri being mfgd to a tech spec of 80 KN when the Kaveri program itself is in limbo with no known sources of funds for further development except for the dry thrust version of the Kaveri to power the Ghatak.
Show me one just one proof of the so called project ganga being real .. go ahead . Kaveri with afterburner has topped out at 73kn .
“I was also the director of GTRE (Gas Turbine Research Establishment) till a few weeks back. I must assure you that the development of the engine today is 73 kilonewtons as against 78 kilonewtons, which is the requirement with the Kaveri engine…it is all ready to go and efforts are on to fly the engine on the Tejas aircraft…very soon we will fly that," he told News18.
Which project has more proof of being real? Get something concrete or don't bother replying.

Azaad

Country flag
Show me one just one proof of the so called project ganga being real .. go ahead . Kaveri with afterburner has topped out at 73kn .

Which project has more proof of being real? Get something concrete or don't bother replying.
The answer to your question lies in the little snippet you've quoted wherein the GTRE ex director himself states that they've achieved 73 KN today as opposed to the IAF SQRs of 78 KN & it is that version which is likely to be tested on the Tejas.

Where exactly did you see him confirm Kaveri's achieved 80 KN ? If you did post it here or get lost.

karn

Country flag
The answer to your question lies in the little snippet you've quoted wherein the GTRE ex director himself states that they've achieved 73 KN today as opposed to the IAF SQRs of 78 KN & it is that version which is likely to be tested on the Tejas.

Where exactly did you see him confirm Kaveri's achieved 80 KN ? If you did post it here or get lost.
Because improvements are not possible right ? This is literally a new rfi for the Kaveri to achieve its stated goals . Still waiting for the mythical project ganga proof or did that get lost?
Btw this is what you said
Kaveri program itself is in limbo with no known sources of funds for further development except for the dry thrust version of the Kaveri to power the
Clearly this is not the case and the afterburner version is actively being worked on

Last edited:

Azaad

Country flag
Because improvements are not possible right ? This is literally a new rfi for the Kaveri to achieve its stated goals . Still waiting for the mythical project ganga proof or did that get lost?
Everything's possible in the world you inhabit like thrusting the burden of proof on others while refusing to share them here including new improvements on the Kaveri .

Here's a quote from the same interview which you "missed."

For the fourth-generation engine, the country has full capability to produce the engine. The Kaveri engine expected to be ready by 2024 or 2025. All tech is ready. If sanctions and funding come, it can be done in record time.”

Btw in the same article , the director goes on to wax eloquent on the progress of the Tapas drone listing it's various achievements. We know how that one ended.

karn

Country flag
Everything's possible in the world you inhabit like thrusting the burden of proof on others while refusing to share them here including new improvements on the Kaveri .

Here's a quote from the same interview which you "missed."

Btw in the same article , the director goes on to wax eloquent on the progress of the Tapas drone listing it's various achievements. We know how that one ended.
Cool .. now share your proof for the project ganga

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles