Kaveri Engine

johnj

But still Indian govt cant twist airline companies to open manufacturing in India and share the engine technology.
For that Indian Gov need to buy both airlines and need to provide extra freebies and extra money to aircraft makers makers
How govt twist airline companies when gov don't know how to run airlines profitability ??

TopWatcher

Country flag
For that Indian Gov need to buy both airlines and need to provide extra freebies and extra money to aircraft makers makers
How govt twist airline companies when gov don't know how to run airlines profitability ??
Where there is a will, there is a way.

Roland55

Country flag
Very bad theory. becz it is hard to say which engine is thrust worthy, just imagine what happens if RD33 fails
Better acquire a flying test bed.
i dont know if i posted this idea before, but what if you instead of removing any of the engines, just mount the Kaveri on a "pod" and carry it on the centerline pylons of the Mig-29 (or Su-30). im sure it could kinda work..

Just an idea.

silverghost

Country flag

But still Indian govt cant twist airline companies to open manufacturing in India and share the engine technology.
What has Indian Govt got to do with either of the orders? Also, ToT, manufacturing facilities don't come for free. Buying aircraft in fly-away conditions is the cheapest way to go.

AnantS

Country flag
i dont know if i posted this idea before, but what if you instead of removing any of the engines, just mount the Kaveri on a "pod" and carry it on the centerline pylons of the Mig-29 (or Su-30). im sure it could kinda work..

Just an idea.
:) Kaveri is to big to be carried centerline. One thing is weight other is stress from extra thrust can affect the health of aircraft structure.

India mounted a jet aircraft on C119 fairchild packet aircraft much earlier to boost its capability.

Anyway imho testing kaveri using dual engine aircraft is jugaad at best, a single catastrophic incident shall can project all together

spacemarine2023

Country flag
:) Kaveri is to big to be carried centerline. One thing is weight other is stress from extra thrust can affect the health of aircraft structure.

India mounted a jet aircraft on C119 fairchild packet aircraft much earlier to boost its capability.

Anyway imho testing kaveri using dual engine aircraft is jugaad at best, a single catastrophic incident shall can project all together
need a four engine jet for primary phase, a twin engine fighter to certify…
then can think of mating on a single jet fighter

jik60

Country flag
It seems there is no MoU / Agreement signing event listed in the ongoing NAMO US trip. Does it mean all these GE-HAL impending engine MoU was just hype for the trip? Correct me if my assumption is wrong

Vamsi

Country flag
This is the most important thing here, if we are allowed to use our SCBs on the F414 & if they are successful, then its a great validation for our engine programme
I'm not saying that we should use our blades on every engine, I'm saying we should try it on one or two engines for some experimental trails to see if our tech is working or not

for this to happen Uncle Sam must "Part with some "related information" regarding the F414-core, which will allow the "integration" of this new indigenously-built-HPT - which obviously they won't"

hence, IMO we should try to get this data on our own & then integrate our HPT to it

Last edited:

spacemarine2023

Country flag
This is the most important thing here, if we are allowed to use our SCBs on the F414 & if they are successful, then its a great validation for our engine programme
I'm not saying that we should use our blades on every engine, I'm saying we should try it on one or two engines for some experimental trails to see if our tech is working or not
the seeds of alloys will be entirely different

Vamsi

Country flag
the seeds of alloys will be entirely different
I know ,but our indigenous SCB is slightly better than F414's, we need F414 core related data, so that we can integrate our own indigenous HPT, if successful then we can be sanction free.

I'm not saying that we should reverse engineer american HPT, I'm saying we should try to replace it with indigenous HPT.

spacemarine2023

Country flag
I know ,but our indigenous SCB is slightly better than F414's, we need F414 core related data, so that we can integrate our own indigenous HPT, if successful then we can be sanction free.

I'm not saying that we should reverse engineer american HPT, I'm saying we should try to replace it with indigenous HPT.
pretty sure that is a violation of contract,
Keep 414 aside why dont we even try to do it on Ruski engines.

the problem is jet engine is not a lego, a small change in any component will require so much to iterations, resources and time it is not worth.

we are getting to know the overall TF manufacturing process of world’s most advance nation that will provide us trained manpower and skill sets to make kaveri flight worthy with in a decade

Vamsi

Country flag
pretty sure that is a violation of contract,
I will not hesitate to do that

Keep 414 aside why dont we even try to do it on Ruski engines.
I think they tested our TBCs on Al-31F & they worked great afaik

the problem is jet engine is not a lego, a small change in any component will require so much to iterations, resources and time it is not worth.
That's why I said we need F414 core data...with it we can do it in less time

we are getting to know the overall TF manufacturing process of world’s most advance nation that will provide us trained manpower and skill sets to make kaveri flight worthy with in a decade
We are only doing screwdrivergiri, we aren't gonna manufacture whole F414 from raw stage. Kaveri dry engine will be flight certified by 2024 end, we don't need to wait a decade for that

spacemarine2023

Country flag
Kaveri dry is not kaveri … regarding the core I suppose you are talking about hot section, even if we get the composition we will never be able to iterate over this to source it to kaveri.
We will not be having the data how they reached these compositions…

It took India a decade to reverse engineer F16 fire control system wirings but we were never able to iterate over it coz we never knew why this composition was reached and now F16 fire control system is couple of generations ahead of the material we sourced

Jet Engine is easily the most complex technology in the planet, unless ample amount of resources and time is not spent millions of permutations and combinations are not tested the country will never be able to reach a system which keeps on developing more and more advance engine.

Just for argument sake we get all the data of how to manufacture and we invest billions of dollars in machining… by that time 414 will be obsolete..

USA is easily 50 years ahead of India in Jet Engines tech.
India should better keep on investing in Kaveri and manufacturing a Jet engine by 80% value is not screwdrivery its a set up to invest in developing skilled manpower and skill sets which tomorrow can be used or re routed in Kaveri

Vamsi

Country flag
Kaveri dry is not kaveri …
Kaveri Dry Engine is Original Kaveri minus AB, that's it, it will prove the core of the Kaveri engine,

regarding the core I suppose you are talking about hot section, even if we get the composition we will never be able to iterate over this to source it to kaveri.
Why do we need american blade composition when our own DMS4 is slightly better than their Rene N6?

Did you even read what I have said earlier, I will repeat again, real carefully now "We should try to replace American HPT in F414 with Indigenous HPT, not reverse engineer it, & To replace it we need F414 core data",& if successful our F414 can run on indigenous HPT, so we will be sanction free. No where I said we should reverse engineer F414 core & back port it to Kaveri.

manufacturing a Jet engine by 80% value is not screwdrivery its a set up to invest in developing skilled manpower and skill sets which tomorrow can be used or re routed in Kaveri
F414 is screwdrivergiri, we will only be doing SKD level assembly now & in future we might do CKD, that's it...this will create manpower & skillsets ONLY for assembly, not for core manufacturing, it will have zero effect on Kaveri