Kaveri Engine

Nazaria e Bakistan

Country flag
Another fun bit:

In 2005, China ordered in Russia 34 new Il-76MD's and and four Il-78 air tankers based on the Il-76. The degradation of manufacturing in Tashkent led to the breakdown of a large Russian-Chinese contract, and the factory in Tashkent completed 16 incomplete airframes.
The actual Chinese contract to buy IL-76 fell through due to disruption in Russia. It was worth 1.5 billion.

India, Actually bought its planes. All 26 of them. Including 10 in 2009. For some reason we chose not to ask help in development of a FTB.

Nazaria e Bakistan

Country flag
This is the impact of not having proper infra. We were supposed to field our IUSAV or Ghatak in 2020. Now we will be able to get first engine in 2024 from Godrej and test Ghatak in 2026 if DRDO does every thing right. At earliest in 2035 we will get Ghatak in few numbers.

no smoking

Country flag
There is no comparison between us and the cheens when it came to the scavenging of the corpse of the CCCP,,
Were you pissed about the raw deal we got with Vikramaditya ? The cheens bought the entire carrier with all of it's subsystems and that marks the backbone of the cheen carrier force to this day. A testbed is small potatoes in front of this massive scam.
That was not true at all. Chinese bought an empty shell from Ukraine. All the subsystems were removed or not even installed long before Chinese made offer. The Russians even exploded some key part of internal structure to make sure Chinese couldn't fix it in short time. Just have a look of the picture when Varyag arrived in China:

1682299117096.png

1682299154840.png

no smoking

Country flag
They bought the subsystems from Ukraine separately.. I'll try finding the blog where it details the extent to which the Chinese wholesale lifted so many systems from Ukraine .. now that will blow your mind.
Kid, the suppliers of most of these subsystems are in Russia not Ukraine. The only few that Ukraine provided were Su-33 prototype and a part of engine system.

MonaLazy

US working on jet engine deal with India before PM Modi's visit: US Congressman Ro Khanna

27 Apr-2023 12:02 PM
By: FirstIndia
Washington: Speaking to ANI on the sidelines of his address at India-US Business Summit, Congressman RO Khanna said the US wants to make sure the GE Engines deal with India is done so that they don't lose out to Europe.
Congressman Khanna said India has realised that the Soviet military equipment doesn't work as well and the Soviet Union is moving towards China, and India has really been open to building a strong relationship with America. Saying India wants jet engines, he added, "And the first thing is to make sure that deal gets done, hopefully before the Prime Minister's (Narendra Modi) visit. And we are working on that."
"We also are working to ensure that the Prime Minister gets to speak to the United States Congress. The co-chairs will be requesting the speaker to issue that invitation," he added.
"We need to be stronger on defence, and this is a key time," he said.
Regarding jet engines, he further added, "The defence deliverable on the jet engines is critical."
Further, on the business and economic ties between the two countries, he said, "There needs to be a continued effort. I think the reality is that India can emerge as the hub in Asia for the Asian market. Companies in my district like Apple moving out of China, moving into India, into Bangalore, and opening up Apple stores there. I have encouraged companies to manufacture in the United States and restore into the United States, but to the extent they need to sell into Asia to look to allies like India instead of China."
"We need to figure out how to provide India with alternative sources of cheaper energy so they can grow. And I've appreciated that India has unequivocally condemned Putin's invasion of Ukraine, but this should not be a barrier to strengthening a partnership that will last decades," he added. (ANI)

RR & Safran's loss is GE's gain? Are Indians settled in the US somehow involved in this deal? Why is Ro Khanna making this announcement? Probably we are witnessing one of the few positive side effects of the brain drain India suffered over decades.

license manufacture of ge 414
GE has no competitor in Europe for the F414 at least so far as Tejas Mk2/AMCA Mk1/TEDBF are concerned. The congressman says they don't want to lose out to Europe- that would be the 110kN engine? Anyways let's wait and watch.

Last edited:

AnantS

Country flag

US working on jet engine deal with India before PM Modi's visit: US Congressman Ro Khanna

Washington: Speaking to ANI on the sidelines of his address at India-US Business Summit, Congressman RO Khanna said the US wants to make sure the GE Engines deal with India is done so that they don't lose out to Europe.
Congressman Khanna said India has realised that the Soviet military equipment doesn't work as well and the Soviet Union is moving towards China, and India has really been open to building a strong relationship with America. Saying India wants jet engines, he added, "And the first thing is to make sure that deal gets done, hopefully before the Prime Minister's (Narendra Modi) visit. And we are working on that."
"We also are working to ensure that the Prime Minister gets to speak to the United States Congress. The co-chairs will be requesting the speaker to issue that invitation," he added.
Regarding jet engines, he further added, "The defence deliverable on the jet engines is critical."
Further, on the business and economic ties between the two countries, he said, "There needs to be a continued effort. I think the reality is that India can emerge as the hub in Asia for the Asian market. Companies in my district like Apple moving out of China, moving into India, into Bangalore, and opening up Apple stores there. I have encouraged companies to manufacture in the United States and restore into the United States, but to the extent they need to sell into Asia to look to allies like India instead of China."
"We need to figure out how to provide India with alternative sources of cheaper energy so they can grow. And I've appreciated that India has unequivocally condemned Putin's invasion of Ukraine, but this should not be a barrier to strengthening a partnership that will last decades," he added. (ANI)

Are Indians settled in the US somehow involved in this deal? Why is Ro Khanna making this announcement? Probably we are witnessing one of the few positive side effects of the brain drain India suffered over decades.
Mate i think this deal is about license manufacture of ge 414

jai jaganath

Country flag

RR & Safran's loss is GE's gain? Are Indians settled in the US somehow involved in this deal? Why is Ro Khanna making this announcement? Probably we are witnessing one of the few positive side effects of the brain drain India suffered over decades.

GE has no competitor in Europe for the F414 at least so far as Tejas Mk2/AMCA Mk1/TEDBF are concerned. The congressman says they don't want to lose out to Europe- that would be the 110kN engine? Anyways let's wait and watch.
When is pm visit

MonaLazy

When is pm visit
3rd week of June most likely..

According to sources, Modi may visit New York on 21 June, International Yoga Day, before travelling to the capital with Biden. Although neither side has publicly acknowledged the same.

“June 21 to 25 is a possible window both sides are looking at. There will be an announcement at the appropriate time,” said a source.

sameer3694

I'm wondering if GE will give us the know-why? It's not just the know-how that's important. Why did they use certain alloys, materials over others etc is very important to know otherwise we are back at square one to be honest. We need to know the process engineering, the methods they used to design, test and validate their engines. We shouldn't be falling into this licensed manufacturing trap again.

In this respect, RR's co-development pitch might offer a better deal.

AnantS

Country flag
I'm wondering if GE will give us the know-why? It's not just the know-how that's important. Why did they use certain alloys, materials over others etc is very important to know otherwise we are back at square one to be honest. We need to know the process engineering, the methods they used to design, test and validate their engines. We shouldn't be falling into this licensed manufacturing trap again.

In this respect, RR's co-development pitch might offer a better deal.
GE 414 ka hai bhaiya yeh deal, need it for lca and tedbf

LondonParisTokyo

Country flag

This Chutiya is the lowest order Indian scum in America. He is eyeing for a Senate position from California. He has spoken NOTHING about a caste bill taht Cailfornia is putting forwards and wants the Hindu vote. He is counting on Modiji to make it happen. I hope Modiji does not meet with him or spends the last amount of time possible.

This filth does not deserve even 30s of the Pradhan Mantris time

no smoking

Country flag
They simply can't even if they want.
There is quite a lot material, components and subsystems are coming from their suppliers. They simply don't know why either.

Azaad

Country flag
Prime responsibility for this sorry state of affairs should be laid at the PMO's door then at Vayu Bhavan followed by the Defence Minister , MoD , Principal Scientific Advisor ( PSA) to the PMO , Scientific Advisor ( SA) to the Defence Minister , GTRE / DRDO etc .

Blame to the PMO for not treating this as a Mission Mode project . Hell , this doesn't even feature in the agenda of the National Mission Plan drawn up by the PSA & the PM STIAC -
Prime Minister's Science, Technology and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC) . Wonder what kind of advice is the PMO receiving then from the PSA where Defence & Space doesn't feature in the National Mission Plan at all .

At the door of the IAF , for being the end user & in spite of handling a highly sophisticated technology oriented service like the IN is sleeping on the job unlike the IN. If the IN can be described as overtly ambitious & Innovative in the way they've gone about their job with an emphasis & road map on indigenization , the results of which are there for all to see , the less said about the lack of vision & professionalism of the IAF , the better.

Then we can add the rest of the samples named above to this sorry saga .

In the interim the least these jokers could've done is get a high altitude Test Bed for testing the Kaveri & plan out an AFB version of it now that we're seeing some success with the dry version of it meant to power the Ghatak & the derivative of it to power marine Gas Turbine - initial results being encouraging .

You can label such a Kaveri derivative TF as K-10 , K-12 or K- infinity for all I care , just finance &kick start the Goddamned program preferably with SAFRAN as the consultant & get the latter to co operate as part of the offset & if additional money is what they need , give it to them lest we be penny wise & pound foolish even now after all this while.

All the lessons learnt from the failures of the previous program can come in handy here . The aims ought to be modest . In a decade + from now when the MLU of the LCA Mk-1 & Mk-1a comes up they should be refitted in with a slightly more advanced version of the GE -404 which is what the Kaveri derivative ought to be aiming for.

In the meanwhile we ought to fix up a partner for the proposed JV for the 120 KN TurboFan . Let's not forget the west has already moved on to develop ACE to power their 6thGen FA whereas we've not even got our low bypass fixed cycle TFs in place which incidentally China's already achieved & is churning out different models like they would pieces of furniture.

This JV preferably with either RR or SAFRAN ought to be for the ACE class of TFs though I doubt we'd be able to wrangle a deal . The delay is untenable for another reason beyond affecting the scheduled delivery of the AMCA Mk-2 , which is the proposed development of a 6th Gen FA , detailed studies of which must go on the floor by 2025 & development work ought to commence by 2030.

The more we delay a decision on the TF for the AMCA Mk-2 , the further we postpone the 6th Gen FA program for the TF we've developed for the AMCA Mk-2 would serve as the base for future ACE programs otherwise the world'd move to 7th Gen FA programs while we'd be struggling to complete our 5th Gen FA program which seems a distinct possibility now .

To conclude the local mfg of the GE-414 should be seen as both a redundancy for the AMCA Mk-2 program as well as for the future programs of our aerospace defence ecosystem viz the LCA Mk-2 , TEDBF & AMCA Mk-1 . Ideally if we already had a JV in place & work was progressing on the development of the TF for the AMCA Mk-2 program we could've planned for a derivative for the above mentioned programs during the MLU. It's too late for that now nor can we experiment much with the Kaveri derivative program.

In the event I doubt we'd get even a tenth of the kind of ToT & independence with the proposed GE-414 "ToT" like we got with the Al-31FP program.

Nazaria e Bakistan

Country flag
India is not unique in this regards, Turkey had been doing the same for quite some time now.

TFX Engine decisions

2015 : Euro Jet
2017 : Rolls Royce
2018 : TRMotor, a local company
2022 : GE F110

Right now, their development is around F110. Next... lets see.

We need to settle for something like F414-EPE and go ahead.

Nazaria e Bakistan

Country flag
We need to settle for something like F414-EPE and go ahead. In a way it is a good choice. For its thrust class it offers MASSIVE thrust to weight ratio. 117 KN at 11:1 ratio. Thats awesomely great! Its service life will be less but then we have been flying Russian engines. Risk could be reduced in a dual engine setup of AMCA. Bonus? If could get as much of ToT as possible on this.

Once you move to higher thrust requirement, choices thin out.
8-10 tonne wet thrust lots of choices: F404, EJ200, RD33, RD98, WS13, M88, F414
14 tonne wet thrust? only F110, AL31/AL41-F1/AL41-F1S and WS10A/B/C
Beyond 15 tonne? Only F119 and WS-15 come to mind. AL-41 (original project) failed.Out of this, WS-15 is very new. Like few months old completion.

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

Ah! Ro Khanna, the same twat as always.:pound:
Congressman Khanna said India has realised that the Soviet military equipment doesn't work as well and the Soviet Union is moving towards China, and India has really been open to building a strong relationship with America.
There needs to be a continued effort. I think the reality is that India can emerge as the hub in Asia for the Asian market. Companies in my district like Apple moving out of China, moving into India, into Bangalore, and opening up Apple stores there

MonaLazy

Biden admin still hasn't green lighted the deal.. Americans are looking for a road map- haven't we already publicly declared how many Mk2 & AMCA Mk1s we intend to produce?

Why India's indigenous fighter jet programme has hit turbulence

The homegrown Tejas at the Aero India 2023 show in Bengaluru in February. (Photo: Chandradeep Kumar)

India's indigenous fighter jet programme appears to have hit some turbulence. Besides delayed funds, apparent indecision on the part of the Joe Biden administration on sharing technology for manufacturing engines for these jets has added to the jeopardy.

Some of India's fighter jet developers also believe the country's policymakers have probably fallen into the trap of vested international lobbies that do not want India to attain self-reliance in fighter jet technology, including fifth generation stealth jet technology.

Last September, the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) had cleared Rs 6,500 crore for the project to develop the LCA Mk2, a more lethal and upgraded version of India's homegrown Light Combat Aircraft Tejas. However, the disbursement of funds is believed to have gotten delayed. Similarly, the ongoing project to develop the fifth generation stealth aircraft, named Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), is awaiting nod for the past three years.

Both the LCA Mk2 and AMCA are planned to be powered by the General Electric F414 engine. It's an American afterburning turbofan engine in the 22,000-pound (98 kN) thrust class and is produced by GE Aviation.

Despite multiple rounds of discussions with US authorities, including during National Security Advisor Ajit Doval's visit to Washington in February, regarding licensed production of GE F414 engines in India, the matter is stuck with the Biden government. GE is apparently willing to set up an engine manufacturing plant in India in collaboration with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) or other private players, but clearance from the US government is awaited.

It is estimated that the Indian Air Force (IAF) would require nothing less than 170 Tejas Mk2 aircraft-equivalent to six squadrons. In addition, the IAF is keen to induct seven squadrons of the AMCA. Given the potentially massive business involved with GE, the Indian government is insisting on transfer of manufacturing technology and production of the engines in the country. "India is only asking for knowhow of the manufacturing, not knowhow of the design. Even then, the US is not agreeing," said a defence source. "The US probably wants a clear-cut roadmap of India's plan for producing the aircraft. The US believes it's only indicators so far and no confirmation on the number of aircraft to be manufactured."

The absence of a roadmap for jet engines has impacted India's fighter jet programme. The AMCA will put India in a select group of countries with super-cruise and stealth aircraft capabilities-the others being the US, Russia and China. However, a nod is awaited from the government for additional funds to manufacture prototypes. To keep the programme running smoothly, the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) of the DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation), which is working on the AMCA for the past two decades, has even opened doors for private players to join them in the development of the jet.

In February, in a surprise move, the US had brought its F-35 stealth jet for participation at the Aero India 2023 in Bengaluru. This was the maiden appearance of the F-35 in India. The US has never offered the fighter jet to India. Sceptics believe the F-35 participation was a bid to divert the attention of India's stealth jet developers. On the hullabaloo over the F-35's entry into Indian skies, a defence official said: "Our decision-makers are falling prey to international game and this is delaying India's fighter jet programme. Vested international arms lobbies do not want India to attain this niche technology."

Global Defence

New threads

Articles