JF-17 Thunder / FC-1 Xiaolong

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I didn't know a relation between Jf-17 & J-10 development.. Interesting story.

J-7B altered the J-7's deltawings to give far superior lowspeed maneuverability, but needed better engines to maintain energy.
2801687.jpg

J-7FS experimental prototype.
J-7FS.jpg

J-7MF.. This tailed-canarded concept is when the Jf-17 split off J-10, they got the La'vi design & used that to build delta canard J-10 (after an unsuccessful J-9, J-20 looks like it came from that base).
IMG_20211117_125340.jpg

On the other side came out the canardless tailed version that became their JL-9... note the leading-edge developed over the J-7.
251987_big.jpg

That's where it was supposed to end.
But FC-1 with rounded LERX was pitched to Pakistan (back then they called it Super-7, the ultimate F-7). After that it went like FGFA.
JF-17-Thunder-13.jpg

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Fun fact! There was almost a Chinese MWF, on the Jf-17/Jl-9 fuselage only, but they (thankfully) went with that wrong & canard on J-10 instead & ditched this completely...
0.jpeg

...otherwise Porks could have had a really maneuverable jet.

And this is how our LCA should have come out of R&D over Mig-21 😒

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag
Fun fact! There was almost a Chinese MWF, on the Jf-17/Jl-9 fuselage only, but they (thankfully) went with that wrong & canard on J-10 instead & ditched this completely...
View attachment 119999
...otherwise Porks could have had a really maneuverable jet.

And this is how our LCA should have come out of R&D over Mig-21 😒
Porks couldn't have afforded it in any meaningful numbers. Hence MiG-21 iteration jf17 was chosen.

Porks can't even by enough jf17 to replace all mirage 3-5 in service even now.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Porks couldn't have afforded it in any meaningful numbers. Hence MiG-21 iteration jf17 was chosen.

Porks can't even by enough jf17 to replace all mirage 3-5 in service even now.
Yes, but that's beside the point. It's pretty much same as Jf-17..just a delta-canard approach that they ditched. I think the exact same canards and wing have been carried over to the J-10 with minimal changes.
I was shocked how much it looked like MWF (& glad that we reached the same path despite missing the Mig-21 development bus). Look it up. It's called LFC-16 or CY-1.

Chinks tried going naval with it. https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...rt-751-fighter-zm-01-research-aircraft.14038/

Last edited:

Roland55

Country flag
This is strange...

Upon the question whether the JF-17 Block III were going to be powered by the powerful RD-93MA (modernized version of the RD-93 thats already on use with the JF-17) or the Chinese WS-13, the Answer was....none.
PAC confirmed that there are no plans to change the engine of the JF-17, and it would use the same engine as the other Blocks.

No new engine i guess?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
This is strange...

Upon the question whether the JF-17 Block III were going to be powered by the powerful RD-93MA (modernized version of the RD-93 thats already on use with the JF-17) or the Chinese WS-13, the Answer was....none.
PAC confirmed that there are no plans to change the engine of the JF-17, and it would use the same engine as the other Blocks.

No new engine i guess?
Wasn't there a discussion on the Pee forum that the WS-13 would power it as soon as it was granted a certification?

I guess the re-engining is just restricted for Pakistan since the JFs that they are assembling are also with CCP's loans. If China does manage to secure some contracts in Africa or Latin America in the future, these will most likely have WS-13 and all-Chinese electronics.

Roland55

Country flag
Wasn't there a discussion on the Pee forum that the WS-13 would power it as soon as it was granted a certification?

I guess the re-engining is just restricted for Pakistan since the JFs that they are assembling are also with CCP's loans. If China does manage to secure some contracts in Africa or Latin America in the future, these will most likely have WS-13 and all-Chinese electronics.
According to the people at PAC in the Dubai Air Show, there are no plans to give them any new engine. The MA hasn't finished certification...so i guess the RD-93 is likely to stay the way it is for some time.

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
According to the people at PAC in the Dubai Air Show, there are no plans to give them any new engine. The MA hasn't finished certification...so i guess the RD-93 is likely to stay the way it is for some time.
it takes money, time and testing when jumping from one engine to another (also both engines are not yours).

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
it takes money, time and testing when jumping from one engine to another (also both engines are not yours).
Chances are that China wants to do away with the RD-93 engines that they bought so that they can export more of their engines in the near future, hence the pressure on Pakistan to continue with the same.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
The only reason any reason Jf-17 will be purchased by any power will be its lower price. What you get for lower price is china made out of date technology and weapons.
Yes ,you are right ,JF 17 is good for countries which don't have a very high Defence Budget, countries which cannot afford High end Weopons like FA-18, F-35, Sukhois etc. For them JF 17 is good. It is a cheap Aircraft with Cheap Hardware etc for countries which want a cheap platform.

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
Chances are that China wants to do away with the RD-93 engines that they bought so that they can export more of their engines in the near future, hence the pressure on Pakistan to continue with the same.
seems logical but who will pay for these engine swaps. Also how reliable are WS13 when compared to RD93. For most of pakistani ws13 being smokeless is enough.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles