J20 Stealth Fighter

ice berg

You are assuming J-20 is very small. It is not so.

You will also end up with a STOBAR configuration rather than CATOBAR.

Weight matters because the engines should be able to throw all that weight out quickly while guzzling less fuel.

No matter how small the J-20 is, it won't be smaller than a SH. I am pretty sure PLAN will be looking forward to operate CATOBAR systems rather than STOBAR.

That doesn't mean much. The Mig-29K is a far superior platform compared to the J-15 since both are STOBAR systems. Mig-29K can take off at MTOW from a small ship like Gorky while even a Kuznetsov class ship cannot help the J-15 in taking off at MTOW. Space constraints will be too much.

You are much better off if you have a smaller Mig-29K class aircraft with CATOBAR capability, like Rafale.
You will have more numbers and more capability with a CATOBAR system.

Go figure why the Russians have decided to go for Mig-29Ks on the Kuznetsov rather than simply upgrading the J-15 like the VVS is doing with old Su-27s. Double the numbers and increased capability.
Now you are puttings words in my mouth. I said clearly that J-20 is smaller than J-15. I never said J-20 is "very small". All sizes are relative.

STOBAR is for Liaoning and the domestic 001A. We dont know the future configurations of chinese ACs. CATOBAR can not be ruled out. We know they are reseaching EMALS.

If you can accept the fact that J-15 is larger in dimentions than J-20 then I dont see what we are arguering here?
I also find your comparison of Mig-29K and J-15 rather odd. You claimed Mig-29K is a superior platform simply because it can take off at MTOW from a small ship.
In reality it is a apple and orange comparison. You are comparing a heavy class fighter to a light weight. That is like comparing LCAs with Su-30 MKI.

Compared with the rival MiG-29K, the Su-33's maximum takeoff weight (MTOW) is 50% higher; fuel capacity is more than double, allowing it to fly 80% further at altitude (or 33% at sea level).
J-15 is based on Su-33 airframe with updated chiense avionics. Nothing indicates it will have lower MTOW than su-33.

What you fail to understand is the size of your airwing is not dependent on the size of your aircraft. It is limited by the size of your AC. Cant have enough fighters on your deck? Design bigger ACs.

Big is always better if money is not an option. They carry bigger radars, bigger payload and combat range.

And concerning the part of why Russians went for Mig-29k, the answer is simple. Indians already payed for it. It is cheaper and quick for them to adopt to Mig-29k than spend money on Su-33.
What you think they will choose if China are willing to buy the Su-33? ROFL.

p2prada

STOBAR is for Liaoning and the domestic 001A. We dont know the future configurations of chinese ACs. CATOBAR can not be ruled out. We know they are reseaching EMALS.
That's nice, but that's what even I am saying. If you go for a STOBAR configuration, then J-20 is fine. For CATOBAR, J-20 is not fine.

If you can accept the fact that J-15 is larger in dimentions than J-20 then I dont see what we are arguering here?
I am merely pointing out that you will inherit the disadvantages of J-15 with the J-20 regardless of the dimensions.

I also find your comparison of Mig-29K and J-15 rather odd. You claimed Mig-29K is a superior platform simply because it can take off at MTOW from a small ship.
Yes. J-15 cannot take off at MTOW from a large ship. Mig-29K can do that from a small ship.

In reality it is a apple and orange comparison. You are comparing a heavy class fighter to a light weight. That is like comparing LCAs with Su-30 MKI.
LCA is a light aircraft. Mig-29K is a medium aircraft.

Compared with the rival MiG-29K, the Su-33's maximum takeoff weight (MTOW) is 50% higher; fuel capacity is more than double, allowing it to fly 80% further at altitude (or 33% at sea level).
You won't get those figures from Su-33 in real life unless you use land based airstrips.

Mig-29K can take off at MTOW from 190m. Su-33 needs at least 400m. Where is 400m space on an aircraft carrier? Even with 100000 ton carriers, you won't get such a large deck.

J-15 is based on Su-33 airframe with updated chiense avionics. Nothing indicates it will have lower MTOW than su-33.
Are we discussing the J-15 or the Su-33? Both aircraft will have the same disadvantages as the J-20. It doesn't make a difference to the point I am making.

What you fail to understand is the size of your airwing is not dependent on the size of your aircraft. It is limited by the size of your AC. Cant have enough fighters on your deck? Design bigger ACs.
Isn't the Kuznetsov a good enough example?

The Russians are going for 24 Mig-29Ks which can take off at MTOW rather than 12 Su-33s that cannot take off at MTOW. Varyag is of the same size. You are better off flying J-21s rather than J-20s from current and future PLAN carriers. I don't understand why this concept is so hard to grasp!!

J-21s with CATOBAR will be a much better option than a STOBAR only J-20. As you already said, PLAN may go for CATOBAR int he future. So, I don't see any future for J-20 here.

If you are assuming there will be a CATOBAR version of J-20, then you are plain wrong.

What you think they will choose if China are willing to buy the Su-33? ROFL.
IN, at first, wanted Su-33s on Gorky. They figured that the Mig-29K would be the better option. Overall we had the option of funding either aircraft.

China was denied the Su-33 saying no more will be produced. China will be happy to buy Su-33s even today.

ice berg

That's nice, but that's what even I am saying. If you go for a STOBAR configuration, then J-20 is fine. For CATOBAR, J-20 is not fine.

We will see. We have yet to see PLANs decision regarding next gen fighter. Rumour has claimed that navalized J-20 has won over J-XX. J-15 is for STOBAR. Navalized J-20 will be for future CATOBARs. It makes no sense otherwise.

I am merely pointing out that you will inherit the disadvantages of J-15 with the J-20 regardless of the dimensions.

Like I explained earlier. You design your ACs according to your requirements. Nothings says they cant build larger ACs for larger airwings.

Yes. J-15 cannot take off at MTOW from a large ship. Mig-29K can do that from a small ship.

That is just pure internet gossip. We dont know the exact capacity of J-15s.

LCA is a light aircraft. Mig-29K is a medium aircraft.

The comparison is still valid since J-15/j-20 are heavy class fighters.

You won't get those figures from Su-33 in real life unless you use land based airstrips.

Mig-29K can take off at MTOW from 190m. Su-33 needs at least 400m. Where is 400m space on an aircraft carrier? Even with 100000 ton carriers, you won't get such a large deck.

Where you get your figures from and how you know the figures for J-15?

Are we discussing the J-15 or the Su-33? Both aircraft will have the same disadvantages as the J-20. It doesn't make a difference to the point I am making.

No, no no. Size is never a disadvantage. I have tried to explain that to you multiple times. Big is always better. It is true among shore based fighters and it is even more so among naval fighters. With more weapon load and range, you can push your defence further from your ACs. The further away you can engage enemy fighters, the safer your ACs will be.

Size is not a disadvantage, it is merely a factor you have to consider in assesment.
Isn't the Kuznetsov a good enough example?

They got the Ac first and the aircraft later. What you think they will do if it is other way around?

The Russians are going for 24 Mig-29Ks which can take off at MTOW rather than 12 Su-33s that cannot take off at MTOW. Varyag is of the same size. You are better off flying J-21s rather than J-20s from current and future PLAN carriers. I don't understand why this concept is so hard to grasp!!

Again where is the source that claims Su-33/J-15 cant take off at MTOW?
And there will be no limitations of a navalized J-20. You design your aircraft around your requirements. What you doing here is basically conjure up certain "facts" then apply those "facts" to a aircraft that is yet to materialise . Do you see the logical fallacy here?

We dont know how future chinese Acs will be designed. We dont know if there is a navalized J-20 or how it is designed. Those are FACTS. Everything else is pure fantasies.

J-21s with CATOBAR will be a much better option than a STOBAR only J-20. As you already said, PLAN may go for CATOBAR int he future. So, I don't see any future for J-20 here.

If you are assuming there will be a CATOBAR version of J-20, then you are plain wrong.

I keep all options opened. I may be right or I may be wrong. But I dont see why I should rule out possibilities just like that. Btw there is no so-called J-21.
Neither PLAAF or PLAN has given their endorsement. A navalized J-20 is a possibility. That is my point.

IN, at first, wanted Su-33s on Gorky. They figured that the Mig-29K would be the better option. Overall we had the option of funding either aircraft.

Exactly! They got the AC before the aircraft, thus you have to consider the size of the ship when you decide what kind aircraft you want.
There is no such limitations when you design your own ship! Besides IN and PLAN have different requirements. What works for IN may not work for PLAN.

China was denied the Su-33 saying no more will be produced. China will be happy to buy Su-33s even today.
That is just bullshit. China never went for Su-33 in the first place. They got J-15 which is basically a su-33 with chinese avionics and weapons.
To claim that China will go back to buy Su-33 is just plain silly. Everything indicated it will be J-15 all the way. You should know better than this.

p2prada

To claim that China will go back to buy Su-33 is just plain silly. Everything indicated it will be J-15 all the way. You should know better than this.
Right, and how many J-15s do you have in operation today?

It is, oh, so obvious you tried buying Su-33s and so openly apparent that there is official news about it.

As for J-20, you can have a navalized version. But it won't be a CATOBAR version.

ice berg

Right, and how many J-15s do you have in operation today?

It is, oh, so obvious you tried buying Su-33s and so openly apparent that there is official news about it.

As for J-20, you can have a navalized version. But it won't be a CATOBAR version.
PLAN has 5 prototypes that we know of. With Su-33 airframe, modern avionics and chinese weapons. How many upgraded Su.33 are out there? Zero.

You are also backtracking on your earlier comments.
You said:

Now you are saying they tried to buy Su-33 earlier which is totally irrelevant since China has J-15 now.

How long does it take to develope J-15? If there were a negotiation between PLAN and Russian on Su-33, it happende way earlier, by russian sources btw.

It makes no sense what so ever to buy Su-33 today. First PLAN needs to pay for the upgrades, then been hold hostage to russian demands.

With the domestic option maturing, there is no need for Su-33.

If you pay attention to chinese military, you will know that they ALWAYS have a plan B. It is just been pragmatic.

t_co

There's official news surrounding a Su-33 purchase? Source?

p2prada

PLAN has 5 prototypes that we know of.
There you go. You are comparing prototypes to an aircraft produced over 2 decades ago.

With Su-33 airframe, modern avionics and chinese weapons. How many upgraded Su.33 are out there? Zero.
Are you kidding? Why would the Russians go for a Su-33 anymore when they have decided on Mig-29K.

There are so many upgraded Su-27SMs today, there are so many upgraded Mig-29Ks. But there are no upgraded Su-33s since they are unnecessary. Similarly, there is not much news for Mig-35 either.

When something is not needed anymore, there is no need to go for it.

You are also backtracking on your earlier comments.
You said:

Now you are saying they tried to buy Su-33 earlier which is totally irrelevant since China has J-15 now.
No, I did not. The Su-33 purchase was 2009 news, the J-15 wasn't even ready then.

Look, you are the only Navy in the world to commission an aircraft carrier without any aircraft. Isn't that enough for you to realize you did try to get Su-33s, at least as an interim before J-15s actually hit production?

How long does it take to develope J-15? If there were a negotiation between PLAN and Russian on Su-33, it happende way earlier, by russian sources btw.
Russian sources are plenty for the news to be correct alongside what's happening in China today.

Where are the J-15s? I don't see any operational aircraft on your carrier. And won't be seeing any for a few more years.

Why would you commission a paper carrier without aircraft unless you tried getting aircraft before. The Russians had reportedly canceled the deal because the existence of the J-15 program came to light.

It makes no sense what so ever to buy Su-33 today. First PLAN needs to pay for the upgrades, then been hold hostage to russian demands.

If the AMCA ends up being the same as PMF, only a little bit lighter, then it won't form part of the low end hi end complement since the flight profiles will end up being the same.
I agree, now, today, this year, is makes no sense to go for Su-33s. Since by the time you sign a deal and get an upgrade package ready the J-15 will be ready for production. Had you signed the contract in 2009, you would have received spanking new Su-33s, possibly this year onwa

If you pay attention to chinese military, you will know that they ALWAYS have a plan B. It is just been pragmatic.
Everybody does. But your plan B for carrier aviation killed plan A.

I will repeat this again, the Su-33 or more specifically Su-27K had weight issues when operating from carriers. Upgrading the Su-27K would have increased the weight of the aircraft due to more modern requirements. Of course, on a per unit basis a Flanker is better than a Mig-29. But on a carrier it is not unit for unit. Sukhoi found the Su-27K to be only 50% superior to the Mig-29K, also note that I am talking about the first Mig-29K which was only a modification of the Mig-29A, the new Mig-29K is actually a modification of the Mig-35 airframe and carries more.

For carrier aviation both Navies identified that the new Mig-29K offered more advantages including MTOW capability whereas the Su-27K only provided full fuel load with air to air weapons capability from a short deck, not counting Mig-29Ks better multirole capabilities. They decided to actually put a whole new production line instead of simply restarting Su-27Ks production line.

The J-15 may see new avionics, but this will also see weight increases. As long as the engine is capable of handling this weight, it is no problem, But don't forget that there will be a difference in fleet size between the smaller Gorky and larger Liaoning.

There's official news surrounding a Su-33 purchase? Source?
As it goes, the official news is Russian and hence will be rejected since they are supposedly liars.

ice berg

There you go. You are comparing prototypes to an aircraft produced over 2 decades ago.

Exactly! Why will China buy a two decade old platform instead of a modernized J-15?

Are you kidding? Why would the Russians go for a Su-33 anymore when they have decided on Mig-29K.

Read my post carefully.
There are so many upgraded Su-27SMs today, there are so many upgraded Mig-29Ks. But there are no upgraded Su-33s since they are unnecessary.

No, they cant afford it, plain and simple. They picked Mig-29k simply because India already paid for it. If they went for Su-33, they will spend tons of money and time. Read Fengs blog:
China Air and Naval Power: J-15 vs Su-33 vs Mig-29K

Similarly, there is not much news for Mig-35 either.

When something is not needed anymore, there is no need to go for it.

No, I did not. The Su-33 purchase was 2009 news, the J-15 wasn't even ready then.

And what year are we now? When did J-15s took off? When did twin seated J-15 took off? Does it look like China is gonna buy Su-33 now? Rememerb you claimed China wants to buy Su-33 even today. Whether China wanted to buy Su-33 earlier was never the topic.

Look, you are the only Navy in the world to commission an aircraft carrier without any aircraft. Isn't that enough for you to realize you did try to get Su-33s, at least as an interim before J-15s actually hit production?

That was never the topic..... You claimed that China wants to buy Su-33 today! How many times did I have to repeat that whether China wanted to buy Su-33 earlier is irrelevant when they got their own J-15s now and are sticking with it?
Russian sources are plenty for the news to be correct alongside what's happening in China today.

Where are the J-15s? I don't see any operational aircraft on your carrier. And won't be seeing any for a few more years.

Agree, it takes time. How are your N-LCAs?

Why would you commission a paper carrier without aircraft unless you tried getting aircraft before. The Russians had reportedly canceled the deal because the existence of the J-15 program came to light.

That is bullshit. Your so-called source claimed the deal collapsed in 2009. An unfinished Su-33 prototype, the T-10K-3 was acquired from Ukraine sometime in 2001. You telling me the russians are so incompetent that they didnt find out about this until 2009? a big yawn.

I agree, now, today, this year, is makes no sense to go for Su-33s. Since by the time you sign a deal and get an upgrade package ready the J-15 will be ready for production. Had you signed the contract in 2009, you would have received spanking new Su-33s, possibly this year onwa.

BS. China will end up like India with your Gorky deal. Hold hostage to Russia. If new Su-33 got delivered about the same time as J-15, why get them in the first place. You self claimed they are interim solutions.

Everybody does. But your plan B for carrier aviation killed plan A.

I will repeat this again, the Su-33 or more specifically Su-27K had weight issues when operating from carriers. Upgrading the Su-27K would have increased the weight of the aircraft due to more modern requirements. Of course, on a per unit basis a Flanker is better than a Mig-29. But on a carrier it is not unit for unit. Sukhoi found the Su-27K to be only 50% superior to the Mig-29K, also note that I am talking about the first Mig-29K which was only a modification of the Mig-29A, the new Mig-29K is actually a modification of the Mig-35 airframe and carries more.

For carrier aviation both Navies identified that the new Mig-29K offered more advantages including MTOW capability whereas the Su-27K only provided full fuel load with air to air weapons capability from a short deck, not counting Mig-29Ks better multirole capabilities. They decided to actually put a whole new production line instead of simply restarting Su-27Ks production line.

The J-15 may see new avionics, but this will also see weight increases. As long as the engine is capable of handling this weight, it is no problem, But don't forget that there will be a difference in fleet size between the smaller Gorky and larger Liaoning.

As it goes, the official news is Russian and hence will be rejected since they are supposedly liars.
Not liars, but I do recall lots deals that never went through. remember the Tu-22 deal?

ice berg

What makes you think they cant reduce weights using other means? We know composites are used extensively in J-15. Not to mention this:

China commercializes 3D printing in aviation | ZDNet

By using laser additive manufactured titanium parts in its aviation industry, China is looking to become a global leader in commercializing 3D printing technology.

The laser additive manufacturing technology not only lowers the cost of titanium parts to only 5 percent of the original, it also reduces the weight of the components and enhances the strength of complicated parts.
As much as 40 percent of the weight can be reduced if the forged titanium parts on an American F-22 were made using the Chinese 3D printing technology, according to a a report on Chinese Web site, Guancha Zhe.
With funding from the government, especially from the military, the Chinese aviation laser technology team is making headways in making titanium parts for the country's fifth generation of fighter jets, the J-20 and J-31, by lowering the cost and raising the jets' thrust-weight ratio.
The Northwestern Polytechnical University of China is also making five meter-long titanium wing beams for the C919 passenger plane, which is scheduled to be put into commercial operation in 2016.

"As the aviation technology develops, the components are also getting lighter, more complicated, and also need to have better mechanical properties," said Huang Weidong, director of the university's laboratory, to a local newspaper. "It is very hard to use traditional technologies to make such parts, but 3D printing could just meet such demands.""

p2prada

Exactly! Why will China buy a two decade old platform instead of a modernized J-15?
Do you even know to what levels are the Flankers being modernized to in Russia. Had the Chinese placed orders, the Russians would have modernized it to very high levels.

No, they cant afford it, plain and simple. They picked Mig-29k simply because India already paid for it. If they went for Su-33, they will spend tons of money and time. Read Fengs blog
Half knowledge.

IN did look at Su-33. It would have been cheaper to modernize the Su-33 and restart production rather than pay for the development of the Mig-29K followed by setting up a production line. I will reiterate again, the Mig-29K is not the same thing that flew in the 90s.

Like I said, the Su-33 cannot take off at MTOW. Full fuel, yes, it can take off. Full weapons, no.

Mig-29K can take off with fuel fuel and weapons.

Russians did piggy back on Indian funds, but the platform itself ended up being better than what they had planned for with Su-33.

The Flanker is simply too big and the role it can handle is too simple for any real use.

If China is looking at the J-15 only with fleet defense in mind, then it is perfect for PLAN. If PLAN wants a full fledged multirole aircraft for multiple missions, then J-15 isn't the aircraft for it.

And what year are we now? When did J-15s took off? When did twin seated J-15 took off? Does it look like China is gonna buy Su-33 now? Rememerb you claimed China wants to buy Su-33 even today. Whether China wanted to buy Su-33 earlier was never the topic.
All prototypes, similar to N-LCA.

Do you even know when J-15 will be operational?

That is bullshit. Your so-called source claimed the deal collapsed in 2009. An unfinished Su-33 prototype, the T-10K-3 was acquired from Ukraine sometime in 2001. You telling me the russians are so incompetent that they didnt find out about this until 2009? a big yawn.
That has little to do with actual operational aircraft. You received a T-10K in 2001, but no operational aircraft even after 12 years.

BS. China will end up like India with your Gorky deal. Hold hostage to Russia. If new Su-33 got delivered about the same time as J-15, why get them in the first place. You self claimed they are interim solutions.
Gorky was an unfortunate incident. But it wasn't done on purpose. Nor is Russia holding us hostage with it. They even offered to buy the carrier for their own Navy. It is we who rejected their offer.

Not liars, but I do recall lots deals that never went through. remember the Tu-22 deal?
Wasn't there some article about Tu-22s for China?

看看中国即将量产的轰炸机-轰10 外观真不错(图)_大旗军事_大旗网

p2prada

What makes you think they cant reduce weights using other means? We know composites are used extensively in J-15. Not to mention this:
You are overestimating the use of composites for weight reduction.

ice berg

Do you even know to what levels are the Flankers being modernized to in Russia. Had the Chinese placed orders, the Russians would have modernized it to very high levels.

What does that got to do with J-15? There are no orders for modernized Su-33 in Russian navy or PLAN. Period. Half knowledge.

IN did look at Su-33. It would have been cheaper to modernize the Su-33 and restart production rather than pay for the development of the Mig-29K followed by setting up a production line. I will reiterate again, the Mig-29K is not the same thing that flew in the 90s.

BS. There is no way you can know the exact cost between upgrade packages for those two aircrafts. Again, let us not turn this into an India vs China thread.

Like I said, the Su-33 cannot take off at MTOW. Full fuel, yes, it can take off. Full weapons, no.

Source?
Mig-29K can take off with fuel fuel and weapons.

Good for you.
Russians did piggy back on Indian funds, but the platform itself ended up being better than what they had planned for with Su-33.

Again BS, how you know what they had planned for Su.33?
The Flanker is simply too big and the role it can handle is too simple for any real use.

If China is looking at the J-15 only with fleet defense in mind, then it is perfect for PLAN. If PLAN wants a full fledged multirole aircraft for multiple missions, then J-15 isn't the aircraft for it.

Again you are using your own bias to judge an unknown aircraft. How you know what it is capable of? I find it funny that on the one hand you are claming J-15 is only a prototype, on the other hand, you are already discussion its capabilities like some guru

All prototypes, similar to N-LCA.

You got be freaking kidding me. Dude, we have seen prototypes of J-15 landing and flying off the deck of Liaoning.
Even the shore based LCA took you freaking 3 decades. And it is LCA= Light Combat aircraft.

J-15 is a heavy class fighter. Not in the same class at all. You should know better than that.
Do you even know when J-15 will be operational?

Again, how is that relevant to our discussion? It is more important that SAC do it right then to win some bragging rights.
That has little to do with actual operational aircraft. You received a T-10K in 2001, but no operational aircraft even after 12 years.
Do share with us your knowledge in this area. What is the norm in developing a 4 gen. heavy fighter on your first attempt? I am really interested to know this. You do know that T-10K was an unfinished prototypes that needed alot rework, right?
Gorky was an unfortunate incident. But it wasn't done on purpose. Nor is Russia holding us hostage with it. They even offered to buy the carrier for their own Navy. It is we who rejected their offer.

What does it matter if it was done on purpose or not? It was not delivered on time. You got milked big time. You were hold hostage to russian demands.
That they offered to buy it was just BS. They said pay or leave it to us. They played the hard ball and India lost. Period. No way China wants to end up in the same situation. China bought and finished Liaoning at a fraction of the price India payed.
Domestic J-15 has always been their plan A. They will be deployed on Liaoning and the domestic one that are coming. No way they gonna leave it to the polar bear.

Wasn't there some article about Tu-22s for China?

看看中国即将量产的轰炸机-轰10 外观真不错(图)_大旗军事_大旗网
TU-22 was pure BS like most of the russian sources.

For the record I am not saying all of them are lies. But you need to double check them with official chinese sources. Most of the time, it was unsound rumours.

p2prada

What does that got to do with J-15? There are no orders for modernized Su-33 in Russian navy or PLAN. Period.
Then you wouldn't have paper carriers in the ocean today. You would have had aircraft.

As was said in the article I posted, China wanted 14 Su-33s while Russia wanted China to buy 24 in order to amortize costs of R&D and production. Even after paying for development costs, the MKI costs $40Million a piece. The Su-33 would have cost much lesser in comparison since it won't carry most of the more advanced stuff on the MKI. The Mig-29K costs $45Million with development costs.

Now Russia has to replace its entire carrier infrastructure and overhaul the entire logistics supply in favor of the Mig-29K from the Flanker current infrastructure, apart from setting up a new training regimen. It is so obvious which was the cheaper one that you don't even need to have school education to know that.

14 aircraft for Liaoning makes sense. Had you ordered these in 2009-10 you would have had aircraft + carrier TODAY, not just a carrier. Not 3 or 4 years from now.

I believe I read somewhere your first J-15 will be inducted in 2016, followed by a regiment a few years later. Tell me what is good, an advanced Flanker on an operational carrier in 2013 or one nearing 2020.

BS. There is no way you can know the exact cost between upgrade packages for those two aircrafts. Again, let us not turn this into an India vs China thread.
The Mig-29K should have been more expensive. It was a major upgrade of the airframe.

Su-33 upgrades would have been far lesser since a large number of Su-27s were being upgraded at the same time, Su-27SM. Sukhoi has made huge profits from Flanker sales. A major AESA upgrade could very well have been possible in the future, as a follow up to the MKI's upgrade.

There is no source since there was no requirement for MTOW capability for Su-33s. They just needed fleet defence. So a full 100% fuel + 8 air to air missiles was possible. For multirole capability you will need at least 4 or 6 air to air missiles and an extra 1 or 2 tonnes of bombs and missiles.

Again BS, how you know what they had planned for Su.33?
As I already pointed out. K can take off with weapons + missiles + fuel for all out multirole capability. Su-33s cannot. There is not enough deck space for take off with such loads.

Again you are using your own bias to judge an unknown aircraft. How you know what it is capable of? I find it funny that on the one hand you are claming J-15 is only a prototype, on the other hand, you are already discussion its capabilities like some guru
It is very simple. You need deck space. You don't have deck space. You can fit whatever size engine you want, but there is a limit to how much power you can have, you cannot change the size of the aircraft and the deck space is limited. You don't need knowledge of a guru, you just need common sense.

There is no heavy aircraft that can take off at MTOW from a STOBAR arrangement. You will need catapults to throw the aircraft off the deck.

J-15 isn't a magic aircraft. It is a Su-33 with a different name. It will have Su-33s deficiencies. Adding 5KN of extra thrust won't help you carry multiple tonnes of extra load. You will need something like 180KN engines to throw the aircraft off at MTOW from such a small deck, but even that will probably come with more physics laws strings attached

You got be freaking kidding me. Dude, we have seen prototypes of J-15 landing and flying off the deck of Liaoning.
Even the shore based LCA took you freaking 3 decades. And it is LCA= Light Combat aircraft.
So what? A prototype is a prototype. It is not an operational aircraft. You can't fight your enemies or train your pilots and deck crew or your Navy with prototypes. You cannot create maintenance and flight schedules with prototypes, you cannot even work on strategy and tactics with prototypes. You need operational aircraft. An order of 24 Su-33s would have given you the "operational" aircraft TODAY so your pilots would have been ready when your next carrier would have come.

I feel it was always planned that way. Get the Varyag working now, buy some Su-33s. Build up an operations database over the decade so when the J-16 and a new carrier are built the crews will be trained and ready for actual combat operations.

Look at the time wasted now. You will need the J-16s first (operational, mind you, not prototypes), which is currently a development aircraft and then work on setting up an operations database, which will take you a decade after you get the J-16s. Remember you have no prior carrier experience. It won't just drop down into the heads of your officers and sailors the minute you touch a carrier. You will get it by working on the carrier for a decade or more.

You lost that decade with the failure of the Su-33 deal.

So don't tell me the BS that you didn't need Su-33s simply because you had a few flights of the J-15.

Again, how is that relevant to our discussion? It is more important that SAC do it right then to win some bragging rights.
Excellent. Keep waiting till SAC "gets it right."

The more time it takes the more time we have to prepare. Don't forget, you can only field a carrier if you have aircraft to train from. You will need a decade just to get a training regimen setup for carrier operations. Something that we have been doing with the Mig-29K for quite sometime now, even with Russian and American assistance. You could have gotten that in a shortcut method by training with the Russians on Kuznetsov with the Su-33 deal. Now it would take even longer. After your training regimen is setup that's when you have an operational carrier. After that you will need another decade to integrate the carrier into your Navy's doctrine. So, cheerio.

Do share with us your knowledge in this area. What is the norm in developing a 4 gen. heavy fighter on your first attempt? I am really interested to know this. You do know that T-10K was an unfinished prototypes that needed alot rework, right?
Are you even aware of what we have been discussing about?

What does it matter if it was done on purpose or not? It was not delivered on time. You got milked big time. You were hold hostage to russian demands.
That they offered to buy it was just BS. They said pay or leave it to us. They played the hard ball and India lost. Period.
Lol. Ok. Don't forget Sevmash is working up a loss on the Gorky.

The offer to buy the carrier was to get more from the Russian Navy to work up a profit.

Sevmash -----ed up, IN -----ed up. That's why there is no bad blood between them. They know they both -----ed up and are trying to fix it in a no-profit no-loss deal.

No way China wants to end up in the same situation. China bought and finished Liaoning at a fraction of the price India payed.
Yeah right. You just bought the hull for a lot of money. Had to replace everything inside. Don't tell me that was a fraction of the price. Even the best jokes are less funny.

Domestic J-15 has always been their plan A. They will be deployed on Liaoning and the domestic one that are coming. No way they gonna leave it to the polar bear.
Okay, you have the carrier. Now, where is the J-15? It doesn't look like Plan A is working within the same time frame.

For the record I am not saying all of them are lies. But you need to double check them with official chinese sources. Most of the time, it was unsound rumours.
There are none or extremely rare official news from China. The ones you really get are trinkets. The ones you don't get are answered by pics.

You will never get official news from China which will result in a loss of face. The news about the Su-35 purchase would have resulted in a loss of face, even if it is a major boost to your force.

Even in India, a lot of news is kept hidden, it is just that our media is far more well connected that the news doesn't remain hidden for too long. The establishment just tries to keep the news hidden for as long as necessary. Comparatively China is far less transparent due to a very weak media. OTOH, Russian industry works in a similar way as India's. There is a limit beyond which they will end up revealing to the media to protect their own business once the deal matured to a certain level. With a Su-35 sales leak to the media, they would generate interest from other countries in the process. You can expect leaks in a multi-country deal, while there will be little or no leaks within China's domestic ventures.

If a deal does not go through, you can say that it was all a lie, but even in India there are so many deals that do not go through due to a multitude of issues even during advanced stages of negotiations, like the Kaveri deal with France. The establishment could have always remained tight lipped throughout. Similarly, we are also keeping our fingers crossed with the MRCA deal, because even this deal can fail. Had the news come out in France that there were engine negotiations going on, once the deal failed, the Indian forum world could have claimed it as fake news since it was reported only in France.

EDIT: Can you fix your quote, so it is easier to reply to? You will need to start with the word "quote" and end a paragraph with "/quote" in square brackets.

Last edited:

t_co

Isn't this a J-20 thread? Why are people arguing about the Liaoning aircraft carrier?

Also, @p2prada is making some pretty deep assumptions about Chinese aircraft development behind his arguments. For example, he assumes that the J-15 simply cannot takeoff at MTOW from the Liaoning, when the aircraft is clearly a prototype, and also assumes the Chinese wanted operational carrier capability in 2013, when it's pretty clear their bigger goal was to create an indigenous manufacture capability for carrier-capable aircraft. In the net scheme of things, not having an operational carrier for 3 or 4 years is worth it if it accelerates investment and development of indigenous defense manufacture. That's a lesson India, in fact, would do well to absorb, as the PAK FA and Arihant debacles demonstrate.

But we should get back to talking about the J-20 now...

Last edited by a moderator:

GromHellscream

Not that bad to bring some other issues into discussion during the boring time when waiting for 2003.

p2prada

Isn't this a J-20 thread? Why are people arguing about the Liaoning aircraft carrier?
The discussion was based on the demerits of a heavy fighter on a carrier compared to a smaller fighter.

So the discussion veered off to known aircraft. In the end I was making a case for not employing a heavy aircraft on a carrier while using a STOBAR configuration.

he assumes that the J-15 simply cannot takeoff at MTOW from the Liaoning, when the aircraft is clearly a prototype
Yes, it cannot. Let's not try and discover new physics laws here. Flanker MTOW is too much for carrier operations.

and also assumes the Chinese wanted operational carrier capability in 2013
Right, and you think that is not so? Had the Su-33 deal gone through, PLAN would have been making just that claim.

You can't call a carrier operational without aircraft. Hence it is now called a training ship. With aircraft, it would have been an operational carrier.

That's a lesson India, in fact, would do well to absorb, as the PAK FA and Arihant debacles demonstrate.
What's wrong with either? Both PAKFA and Arihant are on schedule from what we know of.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles