ISRO's Reusable Launch Vehicles

Akask kumar

Runway for space shuttle coming up at Sriharikota

The project report, readied a couple of years back, is likely to be fast-tracked following the success of the first Hypersonic Experiment of RLV. | (File Photo | PTI

CHENNAI: A 5-km runway is coming-up at the nation’s spaceport, Sriharikota, to facilitate the landing of Reusable Launch Vehicle (RLV), which is under development.

The project report, which has been readied a couple of years back, is likely to be fast-tracked following the success of the first Hypersonic Experiment of RLV on Monday.

ISRO sources told Express that a site has already been identified near the Augumented Satellite Launch Vehilce (ASLV) complex. ASLV is now non-operational.

After the Hypersonic Experiment, there would be landing experiment (LEX), return flight experiment (REX) and scramjet propulsion experiment (SPEX).

To carry out the further experiments in the category, ISRO needs a runway to retrieve and reuse the vehicle, the sources said.

When asked, K Sivan, director, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), said the proposal was already there and a final approval has to be obtained before the work commences.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...-at-Sriharikota/2016/05/24/article3448064.ece
SPEX-scramjet propulaion exp.. some one convined me yesterday that RLV will not use scramjet , it will use semi cryogenic liquid engine...

can any one throw some light,??

Compersion

Country flag
[QUOTE="sayareakd, post: 1169302, s i found this

strange flight trajectory is almost same.

[/QUOTE]

All talk and also mocktail mixture is how this was a scale to eventual actual end product that will be bigger in size (that would be good and brilliant) ...

But scale can go both ways !! What would be smaller in scale ? Why people only thinking this can become bigger . Why not smaller in size ?

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
SPEX-scramjet propulaion exp.. some one convined me yesterday that RLV will not use scramjet , it will use semi cryogenic liquid engine...

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...cle-by-Mid-2015/2015/02/27/article2689302.ece

using a cryogenic engine will increase the cost hence they are developing semi cryogenic , as it uses kerosene which is cheaper to store and also cheap to produce than LH.

Hence it will be definitely a semi cryogenic engine. Otherwise total project will have huge cost hence India's monopoly in cheap launches will be non existence.

Scramjet may be tested on it if it travels less than 100km altitude. But its of no use.

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
ISRO’s new frontiers
With the successful launch on Monday of the first technology demonstrator of the indigenously made Reusable Launch Vehicle (RLV), the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has taken a baby step in building a vehicle that can be reused multiple times to launch satellites into orbit. The hypersonic flight, that lasted about 770 seconds from lift-off to splashdown in the Bay of Bengal, reached an altitude of about 65 km before re-entering the atmosphere at nearly five times the speed of sound. Many more such successful launches have to be undertaken before the RLV becomes a reusable launch system to put satellites into orbit. Some of the objectives of this week’s launch were to test the aero-thermodynamic characterisation of the vehicle with wings when it re-enters the atmosphere at hypersonic speed; the control and guidance system; the control system to land the vehicle at a specific location; and the hot structure, the basic body-carrying part of the vehicle with heat protecting tiles. The ultimate objective is to test the vehicle’s performance when it travels at a speed of Mach 25 using air-breathing propulsion. It will take 10 to 15 years, and several more launches, before ISRO readies a reusable launch vehicle for commercial use.
Building a fully and rapidly reusable launch vehicle will play a pivotal role in cutting down by as much as 80 per cent the cost of launching satellites into orbit. In fact, ISRO is already well-known for launching satellites at a far cheaper cost than other space agencies. Currently, the bulk of the launch cost comes from building the rocket, which can be used just once, as the rockets get burnt on re-entry into the atmosphere. No other space agency has reusable launch vehicles in operation, and ISRO has taken a lead in developing one. Learning from the mistakes of the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) in its space shuttle programme, ISRO will not use the same reusable vehicle to launch satellites and carry astronauts as it drastically reduces the payload capacity and thereby increases the cost per kg. ISRO will also use cutting-edge technology to shield the launch vehicle from intense heat to reduce, if not completely eliminate, refurbishment expenses. Getting this right would enable the vehicle to be reused within a very short span of time. If all works as per plan, ISRO should be able to break even after 25 to 50 launches, bringing down the cost of further launches on the same vehicle.
Please enter a message with at least 30 characters.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.

Scramjet can work only if 2 basic conditions are met :-
1. That the vehicle containing scramjet can attain supersonic speed by other means (e.f,..rocket motor/ turbofan engine). This is because scramjet can kick in only at supersonic speed. Air inlet of a scramjet engine requires air intake at supersonic speed to produce hypersonic thrust.
2. Presence of oxygen in air. Scramjet uses atmosphereric oxygen for combustion. This implies, it cannot work in space or upper atmosphere where oxygen is negligible.
This postulates, scramjet will not work​
in vertical lift becoz by the time solid motor attains supersonic speed and burns out, the RLV will reach thin atmosphere where scramjet can't breathe oxygen.

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Is this ISRO guys have decided to outclass and outbusiness every other organizations? Air breathing, RLVTD, Semi cryogenic, Scramject and what not? I am sure that all the major space agency must be feeling threatened particularly in launch business.

I can sense what must be happening to Porkis and chinkies. I pray almighty for their peace. I can know now that why so many Indian members are banned on PDF. Porkies need to vent their frustration somewhere. Their strategic assets gets neutralized. They are getting one after other bad news. K4, BMD, RLVTD.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Lets focus on getting full scale man or cargo missions within 5 years, we have all major building blocks and like my imagination, it must have fire up imagination of ISRO men and women that they can beat the best in the business.

Akask kumar

The proposed vehicle is a two stage to orbit configuration with a semi-cryogenic winged booster and a cryogenic ballistic orbiter in which the first stage will fly back to the landing site near the launch pad like a conventional aircraft
so this will not use scramjet but semi-cryogenic first stage(till edge of atmosphere or more) and cryogenic second stage(in the space).. Since its TSTO,the first stage is winged one, which will fly to the very edge of atmosphere or may be more using semi cryogenic engine.after that RLV will eject the second stage and the first stage will glide to the runway while the second stage will burn its cryogenic engine to achieve the desire orbit

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...cle-by-Mid-2015/2015/02/27/article2689302.ece

using a cryogenic engine will increase the cost hence they are developing semi cryogenic , as it uses kerosene which is cheaper to store and also cheap to produce than LH.

Hence it will be definitely a semi cryogenic engine. Otherwise total project will have huge cost hence India's monopoly in cheap launches will be non existence.

Scramjet may be tested on it if it travels less than 100km altitude. But its of no use.
yea,if we were using scramjet then there is not point in converting atmospheric oxygen to liquid coz any jet engine uses direct air..

But RLV will convert atmospheric air to liquid to fuel the cryogenic and the semi cryogenic stages,it surely means we are not using any jet engine be it scramjet or ramjet..

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
But RLV will convert atmospheric air to liquid to fuel the cryogenic and the semi cryogenic stages,it surely means we are not using any jet engine be it scramjet or ramjet..
Nope it will not convert any atmospheric oxygen to LOX. Because it is not possible. It will be stored in pressurized tanks.

Akask kumar

Nope it will not convert any atmospheric oxygen to LOX. Because it is not possible. It will be stored in pressurized tanks.
nope it will.. i am 100% sure about that. thats how they are going to reduce the weight and reduce the launching cost.you dont have to carry a big part of the fuel right from the ground.. That was the original concept behind AVATAR RLV..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(spacecraft)

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
nope it will.. i am 100% sure about that. thats how they are going to reduce the weight and reduce the launching cost.you dont have to carry a big part of the fuel right from the ground.. That was the original concept behind AVATAR RLV..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(spacecraft)
They have abandonned the study for now since 2001. Though the Idea is maverick. But it NOT related to RLV TD.

Akask kumar

They have abandonned the study for now since 2001. Though the Idea is maverick. But it NOT related to RLV TD.
my all dreams for the RLV are collapsing everyday..
first i thought it will be ssto , turned out to be TSTO.
thought IT will use scramjet , reality is semi cryogenic engine.
i use to think this will liquify O2 from atmosphere as fuel but the story is different..

NOW TELL ME HOW THIS IS DIFFERENT FROM AMERICAN SHUTTLE EXCEPT THIS RLV SEPARATES INTO TWO IN SPACE..(TSTO)..

THIS RLV IS SLOWLY TURNING OUT TO BE FREAKING US SHUTTLE.. GOD NO..WE WILL DO NOTHING NEW THEN, JUST INDIANISING THE US SHUTTLE PROGRAM..

please explain , what is maverick? i dont knw about it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles