ISRO's Reusable Launch Vehicles

abingdonboy

Country flag
It was launched successfully at a speed of Mach 5 and landed horizontally but disintegrated because of force due to impact with water surface at surface of water. ISRO will work further over this.
This experiment was HEX-01.
So, there maybe more and better HEXs.
We have to do following things for building a space shuttle.
Hypersonic flight EXperiment (HEX)
Done
Landing EXperiment(LEX)
Bringing shuttle safely(soon will be done).
Return flight EXperiment(REX)
The Reusability test
Scramjet Propulsion EXperiment(SPEX)
Finally, a prototype of powerful space shuttle to get US launch contractors in nightmares. :love:
Any updates on the 5KM runway ISRO needs to be build to land the RLV?

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Any updates on the 5KM runway ISRO needs to be build to land the RLV?
Sorry. I can't get updates over construction things unless I have spies in SriHariKota.
Moreover, there's a thirs advanced launch pad under construction there for heavy launchers, human spaceflight, ULVs and shuttles.
So, that Runway will surely be built near this launch pad. :)
Hope it helps.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satish_Dhawan_Space_Centre_Third_Launch_Pad
It will be pretty better than FLP and SLP. Please anybody don't take this launch pad lightly.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
="AnantS, post: 1168985, member: 12512"]Or a separate Sub Forum, for all discussions related to space, @Sakal Gharelu Ustad@pmaitra@Yusuf@sayareakd
A dedicated ISRO thread can do. Pl. dont mix with defence related issues. Civilian Applications in Space Science is a major topic.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
It will be partial success if they are using it only to send.
Only to send? India has been sending sattelites for ages. Novelty here is retrieving it back unharmed. So the 2nd part is all important. If we didn't accomplish this, it is not even partial success.

If it has disintegrated in the atmosphere then I am little confused.
I saw someone posting RLV disintegrated upon splash-down. AFAIK, before splash-down, a space capsule unfurls a parachute to decelerate and lands gently. Most of us have seen the film 'Gravity'. In the last seen the capsule carrying Sandra Bullock parachutes down in the shallow waters off the beach.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
I saw someone posting RLV disintegrated upon splash-down. AFAIK, before splash-down, a space capsule unfurls a parachute to decelerate and lands gently. Most of us have seen the film 'Gravity'. In the last seen the capsule carrying Sandra Bullock parachutes down in the shallow waters off the beach.
Most probably due to no under carriage it was designed not to recover it back.. but recover it back from re entry until it touches earth /water.

There would be NO PARACHUTE. The vehicle would have made manoeuvres to landed perfectly horizontal on the water surface. Everything went successful and it did touch the water.

But on touching water at landing speed of 300-400km/hr it would definitely disintegrate.( intentional disintegration)

Next test will be most probably with landing gears. As the design worked.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
@Sakal Gharelu Ustad @pmaitra @Yusuf @sayareakd
Can we have a sticky thread for Indian Space news. Outside defence and strategic issues , sticky under Indian affairs or Indian Defence?
not sure if the present ISRO news thread which already exists is what youre looking for but this separate thread specifically dedicated to the RLV is a good idea because the ISRO sticky thread which already exists contains a lot of news of satellite launches etcc

although those satellite launches are also great news, it is nice to have this separate thread for the RLV as it is a hugely exciting issue and seems like we may be ahead of our wonderful prc on this issue and as you know many other nations have given up where we are persevering and we may have a thing or two to teach the others ?

thanks for the link ...ISRO has written a nice description of the event

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/isro-to-look-at-possibility-of-recovering-rocket-stage-1409084
"We will soon be testing - may be this June - our air breathing engine fitted to a sounding rocket," Mr Sivan said" read the last part..
This june.. May is almost over.. quite exciting..
even if they have to do a thing or two to ensure success as long as it can be done in the next 3 months that will be exciting enough for me ! hehehehehhe

what i like about ISRO is that we have been having a string of successes ever since the previous chairman was in charge ...he has now recently retired and i wonder why ?
unless there is serious political misalignment i wonder why we should retire a senior man who has made great successes - surely his knowledge has not deteriorated ? he should be given some non-line, non-authoritative advisory position

this is not a gripe, but merely an open reflection especially as he seems to be satisfied with his retirement ...but all i am saying is is the nation losing out with his departure ?

anyone who knows, feel welcome to inform us , please . ....
thanks

@PrashantAzazel
@angeldude13 @Abhijat @Ancient Indian @anupamsurey @aliyah @Alien @angeldude13 @Abhijat @Ancient Indian @anupamsurey @aliyah @Alien @Aravind Sanjeev @A chauhan @asingh10
@aditya g @asianobserve @Bahamut @BATTLE FIELD @bose @Bornubus @brational @blueblood @Blackwater @Blood+ @bhai-117 @Bangalorean @bengalraider @Bengal_Tiger @biswas_k11
@cobra commando @Chirag @Chris Jude @Chinmoy @Cadian @DingDong @dhananjay1 @ersakthivel @FRYCRY @Gessler @garg_bharat @guru-dutt @Hari Sud @hit&run @HeinzGud @indiandefencefan @I_PLAY_BAD @Indian Devil @Indibomber @Jangaruda @jackprince @Kshatriya87 @LETHALFORCE @laughingbuddha @mhk99
@MetsaMan @Mark Antony @manutdfan
@maomao @Navneet Kundu @Neil @Nicky G @OneGrimPilgrim @pmaitra @parijataka @PaliwalWarrior @Pulkit @Rowdy @Razor @Rashna @rock127 @R.parida @shade @sasum @smestarz
@Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Srinivas_K @sunnyv @sgarg @sabari @Sameet2 @saik @sorcerer @Superdefender @sydsnyper @Sridevi @SREEKAR @Screambowl @Sylex21 @Tactical Frog @TejasMK3 @The enlightened @tejas warrior @tharun @thethinker @tsunami @VIP @VaghaDeva @Vishwarupa @Vishal Guts @Yusuf @Yumdoot @Zebra

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles