ISRO General News and Updates

IndianHawk

Country flag
so french guiana is a colony of france in south america.?. i had no idea,i thought they launched sats from france..lol..

i just checked its location , its very close to the the equator..

arnt guiana people fighting for independence??
French , Brits , Americans all still have colonies in Pacific and Indian ocean.
In most of these local population is very less and mostly tribal. So not much scope for revolution.

We need to start bargaining from a Britain for more island in Indian ocean. We might as well get one or two as Britain fades as a global power:hmm:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
We need to start bargaining from a Britain for more island in Indian ocean. We might as well get one or two as Britain fades as a global power:hmm:
I will pitch for Diego Gracia and Falkland Islands. Gracia can further complement our naval chain in IOR and with the help of Falkland Islands, we won't need to have agreements like LEMoA with yanks to sail in Americas.
What do you think @Akask kumar?:biggrin2:

Akask kumar

French , Brits , Americans all still have colonies in Pacific and Indian ocean.
In most of these local population is very less and mostly tribal. So not much scope for revolution.

little off topic..

yes , i also read somewhere on internet that the many countries in AFRICA arnt independent technically(though they appear) as they keep their national income in france,germany etc european countries bank..

why britain, why not maldive gvt ,their islands are very near to equator, I am not saying to buy from them(no country will sell its land) but on lease in return we can offer them development and fresh water:hmm: and of course JOB..

IndianHawk

Country flag
little off topic..

yes , i also read somewhere on internet that the many countries in AFRICA arnt independent technically(though they appear) as they keep their national income in france,germany etc european countries bank..

why britain, why not maldive gvt ,their islands are very near to equator, I am not saying to buy from them(no country will sell its land) but on lease in return we can offer them development and fresh water:hmm: and of course JOB..
That too why not. I said Britain because it's becoming a waste full expense for them to administer these territories . That's why they leased Diego Garcia to US

Akask kumar

That too why not. I said Britain because it's becoming a waste full expense for them to administer these territories . That's why they leased Diego Garcia to US
Yes ,, after brexit , its not easy for them to administer such bases. Plus they are willing to work with us closely.
i hope such deal is in pipeline .. if not i can tweet to DOS.. (thats the best i can do on my side).

a launch pad near equator can boost our pay load delivery to GTO further. plus making it less expensive..

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Story of the Week - Indian Space Research Organization
Indigenous Bus Bar Development for GSAT-19

ISRO Satellite Centre (ISAC), Bengaluru has developed a satellite Bus Bar indigenously along with Indian industry. The Bus Bar makes the successful power distribution in high power satellites with minimum power loss and good thermal performance. This is one of the requirements for the realisation of High Throughput Satellites (HTS), with more than 50 transponders per satellite, where power requirement is greater than 10 kW. Conventional harness for power distribution with twisted pair of wires cannot meet the low power and voltage drop specifications. Therefore, it is prudent to have an efficient and optimised power distribution system. Usage of Bus Bar in place of conventional power harness is noted to be an appropriate option. The main advantages are power and voltage drop reduction, better thermal design, and reduced Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) compared to wire harnesses.
The development of indigenous materials and processes associated with the Bus Bar also have paved the way for spin-off applications in other subsystems and utilisation for future satellite programme. In addition, the indigenous development has derived the benefits of technology demonstration, technical expertise gain, in-house realisation with adaptable and scalable designs for future application and saving of considerable foreign exchange. Development of insulation materials such as Poly Aryl Ether Ketone (PAEK), 3D printed Ultem and processes such as Micro Arc Oxidation and Epoxy Insulation coating are the new areas proven for space application while evolving this Bus Bar.
The development, realisation and validation of first flight worthy indigenous Bus Bar is accomplished in GSAT-19 spacecraft. However, the specification of the Bus Bar is rated for handling power requirements of 100 A @70 V of HTS. The development of indigenous Bus Bar is multi-disciplinary activity.
The Bus Bar for GSAT-19 spacecraft is configured as 2xI type Bus Bar mounted on the equipment panel of the spacecraft as depicted in the Figures. The two 'I' bars are named live and return bars form the +70V and 0V potentials respectively. The assembly of Bus Bar measures about 54mm x 58mm x700 mm length and weighs about 1.3 kg. The live and return bars are separated by a rigid insulating fixation and four flexible insulating fixations spaced along the length of the bars. The raw bus power is carried on these two 'I' bars vertically separated with a gap allowing space for installation of connectors. The basic conducting material used is Al 6061 alloy having a cross-section dimension of 23 mm x 3 mm, specified for 100 A in vacuum with tolerable temperature rise.
The Bus Bar and its associated components are realised in-house at ISAC Mechanical Fabrication Facilities. Followed this, the Bus Bar is silver plated (12 ± 4 micron thickness) at connector locations for solderability. Subsequently, a Micro Arc Oxidation (MAO) coating of 100±20 micron thickness was performed as a first layer of insulation at Advanced Material Processing Lab. After that, a second layer of Epoxy coating (250 ± 50 micron thickness) is applied. MAO and Epoxy coating ensure a double layer of insulation all over the Bus Bars. Eight numbers of standard high power connectors each having eight contacts are used for connecting Bus Bars to different subsystems like Battery Discharge Regulator (BDR) package, Shunt Regulator, various loads like Core Power Electronics and Fuse Distribution Modules. High power connectors are soldered at Central Electronic Fabrication Facility using SN62 solder containing silver, followed by conformal coating and potting with RTV 3145 compound on exposed connector pins for double layer insulation. Every process, material and fabrication sequences are qualified for space environment by Reliability and Quality Assurance team.
The integrated Bus Bar assembly is successfully tested and qualified for a matrix of validation tests such as:
  • space qualification testing of all materials and processes,
  • electrical characterisation for high power performance (high current 150 A and high voltage 140V),
  • mechanical characterisation tests such as friction tests, curvature tests, and break load tests, etc.,
  • environmental tests like thermal vacuum test, vibration test, shock test, etc.
The development of indigenous Bus Bar meets the requirements of ongoing programmes and ensures the adaptability for forthcoming high power spacecraft programme of ISRO. Further, ongoing developments of the Bus Bar at the anvil of ISAC include characterisation and implementation of L-Junction for Multiple Bus Bar connection, flexible braids for inter panel connections, validation using straight pin connectors, etc.
The indigenous Bus Bar is replacing conventional harness to cater to the high power requirements of HTS Class of Satellites. The potential of Indian industry is utilised to realise Bus Bars at a remarkably competitive cost. For the first time, indigenous Bus Bars will be carried by GSAT-19 which is scheduled to be launched by GSLV-Mk III from SDSC, SHAR, Sriharikota.
Flight Model of Indigenous Bus Bar for GSAT-19 spacecraft

Geometric Model of Indigenous Bus Bar for GSAT-19 spacecraft

Story of the Week - Archive

Nov 14, 2016 : Indigenous Bus Bar Development for GSAT-19
Nov 07, 2016 : Asia-Pacific Space Leaders Forum for Disaster Risk Reduction
Oct 31, 2016 : SCATSAT-1 Wind Products (BETA Version) Released
Oct 24, 2016 : NARL MST Radar observes echoes from the Moon
Oct 17, 2016 : INSAT-3DR Augments INSAT-3D for Improved Weather Monitoring and Prediction
Oct 10, 2016 : Indian Space Science Data Centre (ISSDC) - Gateway to India's Space Science Data
Oct 03, 2016 : AstroSat Completes One Year in Orbit
Copyright - ISRO

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
'India’s space research has world recognition'
GUWAHATI, Nov 14 - India has made rapid strides in space research within a short span of time, and we can expect significant breakthroughs in the near future. Today, the world recognises India’s capacities in this field, which was not the case earlier.
This was one of the views expressed by distinguished scientist Dr Jitendra Nath Goswami at the tenth Vedanta Vachaspati Radhanath Phukan Memorial Lecture – ‘From a Fishing Hamlet to Moon and Mars’ – organised by the Vivekananda Kendra Institute of Culture recently.
Dr Goswami said there is a whole range of technology that ISRO has mastered in the area of space exploration through the dedication of its scientists, many of whom are women.
“Working in six or more separate areas, they have come up with ideas and inventions which have been synergised to develop technology for producing both satellites and launch vehicles. Many of the technologies were created indigenously because those could not be purchased by India from foreign countries which own them,” he observed.
Stating that the success of the Chandrayaan 1 has shown that India is capable of planetary exploration containing many challenges, Dr Goswami said space exploration, including ones like the Chandrayaan Mission, is unforgiving and that there is no scope for error.
On ISRO’s Mars Orbiter Mission, he said its success is significant, because India achieved it through a relatively modest budget, and did it on the very first attempt. Currently many nations have come forward to collaborate with India taking the country’s space technology very seriously.
Today ISRO’s payload delivery system is so reliable that many other countries and foreign companies use its launch vehicles to put their satellites in orbit.
He said that sending a spacecraft beyond Mars would present some hurdles. “The propulsion system needed to carry them over very long distances would have to be very sophisticated and unlike those which are currently available with India. A foreign country will not easily sell such a technology to us,” he added.
The occasion was also marked by the release of the book, Development Through Culture written by eminent thinker S Gurumurthy. Published by VKIC, the volume focuses on the traditional cultural strengths of India being used to create and sustain comprehensive economic development in the country.

Akask kumar

The propulsion system needed to carry them over very long distances would have to be very sophisticated and unlike those which are currently available with India. A foreign country will not easily sell such a technology to us
Yes, i am glad they will not sell it to u otherwise u PPL wont develop it..:mad2:

after knowing that SCE is not indigenous rather bought from ukraine . and recently knowing that the RUSTOM 2 turbo engine too is foreign. i am pissed..

How hard is development of a Turbo engine? :frusty: its not jet..

airtel

Country flag
Yes, i am glad they will not sell it to u otherwise u PPL wont develop it..:mad2:

after knowing that SCE is not indigenous rather bought from ukraine . and recently knowing that the RUSTOM 2 turbo engine too is foreign. i am pissed..

according to me ...........secretly Buying SCE was a good decision ...............development of such engine would take at-least 15-20 years (with no guarantee of success ) ..............ISRO can invest their resources on developing other technologies .
developing any type of efficient engine is difficult , even billion $ companies like TATA motors & Maruti suzuki use Fiat engines >>
http://blogs.hindustantimes.com/car...maruti-tata-fiat-and-general-motors-in-india/

we already Have a 25 Kn turbofan engine engine which can be used in next generation UAVs , trainer jets or other Aircraft >>>>

http://m.economictimes.com/news/def...for-trainer-aircraft/articleshow/50173767.cms

republic_roi97

Country flag
after knowing that SCE is not indigenous rather bought from ukraine
I think its the technology transfer and know-how transfer is what we have bought from Ukraine. The development of final SCE will be completely in house, saving us a lot of time.
According to official press release on March 26, 2013 by Ukrainian Ministry of Economic Development and Trade, development of a rocket engine for Indian launch vehicles initiated in 2006 under a joint Indian-Ukrainian project named “Jasmine”[9][10]

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

For SCE, credit hamara bhi banta hai, for modification (though under Ukrainian consultation).
For Rustom engine, DRDO ia working with Tech Mahindra for replacing foreign engine with an indigenous one.

republic_roi97

Country flag
Got info from here:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Launch_Vehicle
A potential heavy-lift variant (HLV) of the unified launcher capable of placing up to 9 ton class of spacecrafts into Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit would include:[1][10]

• A larger dual S-250 solid strap-on boosters as compared to the S-200 boosters used in LVM3;
  • A semi-cryogenic core stage similar to LVM3 with SCE-200 engine;
  • A semi cryogenic third stage with a new CE-50 engine;
  • A new fourth stage with cryogenic C10 engine.

Chinmoy

Country flag

Rustom 2 is using Turboprop engine. It is a jet engine with just a bigger fan then turbofan version.

Akask kumar

according to me ...........secretly Buying SCE was a good decision ...............development of such engine would take at-least 15-20 years (with no guarantee of success ) ..............ISRO can invest their resources on developing other technologies .
developing any type of efficient engine is difficult , even billion $ companies like TATA motors & Maruti suzuki use Fiat engines >>
http://blogs.hindustantimes.com/car...maruti-tata-fiat-and-general-motors-in-india/

we already Have a 25 Kn turbofan engine engine which can be used in next generation UAVs , trainer jets or other Aircraft >>>>

http://m.economictimes.com/news/def...for-trainer-aircraft/articleshow/50173767.cms
no,i was talking about the attitude.. we should not always keep looking for import of engines first,.develop some , it will improve understanding and we may create better or different versions..shortcut is not always good..

like we did in scramjet.

if we develop engine that pushes vehicle beyond mars may come handy in other missions.plus such things give BOOST to R&D which is not very good here..

import tech only for those missions which is very crucial

Akask kumar

For SCE, credit hamara bhi banta hai, for modification (though under Ukrainian consultation).
For Rustom engine, DRDO ia working with Tech Mahindra for replacing foreign engine with an indigenous one.
then the prices of rustom 2 will go further down..(sorry little off topic)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles