ISRO General News and Updates

republic_roi97

Country flag
is this upgraded LVM3 or HLV.. looks very similar apart from third stage which is cryogenic in HLV..
Well its mentioned that S-250 is going to be used in HLV. And also that it would be a solid booster, just like our current S-200 that is used on LVM3 until the SCE-200 arrives.

republic_roi97

Country flag
probabily yes as all solid boosters burn same fuel across world(mostly). the fuel is HTPB (Hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene)..
Yeah, I guess that answers it. It is definitely going to be a larger version of S-200. Seeing that its named as a "S-" series of boosters which work on HTPB.

Akask kumar

Well its mentioned that S-250 is going to be used in HLV. And also that it would be a solid booster, just like our current S-200 that is used on LVM3 until the SCE-200 arrives.
sorry didnt see .. it actually HLV variant. the main HLV will use two cryogenic stage and one semi-cryo,this one(the one u mentioned ) has two semi-cryo stages and 1 cryo. clearly this is the early model for HLV..

good info..thnx

republic_roi97

Country flag
I just found that there would be a configuration of ULV which would use 2 S-139 strap on boosters to send 4500KG payload to GTO. Guess what ? S-139 happens to be first stage of PSLV and GSLV Mk1/2 :eek1::eek1:

The four booster options are:

• 6 × S-13, slightly larger than the S-12 on PSLV, to burn longer;
  • 2 × S-60, which appears to be a new solid motor development;
  • 2 × S-139, which is the first stage of PSLV and GSLV Mk I/II;
  • 2 × S-200, like on the LVM3.

republic_roi97

Country flag
sorry didnt see .. it actually HLV variant. the main HLV will use two cryogenic stage and one semi-cryo,this one(the one u mentioned ) has two semi-cryo stages and 1 cryo. clearly this is the early model for HLV..

good info..thnx
What ?? The configuration has been upgraded to two cryo ?? Is there a link for that that you might post ?

Akask kumar

What ?? The configuration has been upgraded to two cryo ?? Is there a link for that that you might post ?
yes .

i am reposting what you posted..

A potential heavy-lift variant (HLV) of the unified launcher capable of placing up to 9 ton class of spacecrafts into Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit would include:[1][10]

• A larger dual S-250 solid strap-on boosters as compared to the S-200 boosters used in LVM3;
  • A semi-cryogenic core stage similar to LVM3 with SCE-200 engine;
  • A semi cryogenic third stage with a new CE-50 engine;
  • A new fourth stage with cryogenic C10 engine.
CE-50 is a cryogenic engine.. i think wiki made a mistake and quoted it as semi cryo.. if it was semi cryo.. the engine would have been called SCE-50.. Plus in that post wiki said four stages which is wrong , there will be just three stages .I think it counted the solid booster stage separately..

what you posted has been mentioned in the picture which @Indx TechStyle had posted on this page .look at the rocket on lower right, thats HLV.

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/isro-news-and-updates.33401/page-113

now regarding two cryo stages..look at the image.its a slide from a presentation by some ISRO rocket developer..

not clear but the rocket on third is HLV .the second image from left is of CRYO engine from there two green lines are pointing to the second and thrid stages of HLV which means two cryo stages

i am waiting for @Indx TechStyle to confirm this C-50 confusion..

Last edited:

shiphone

Country flag
Rustom 2 is using Turboprop engine. It is a jet engine with just a bigger fan then turbofan version.
Austro AE300 diesel Engine rated at 170 hp.

----------------

BTW...normally the SRB is segmented. current S-200 booster should be a 4-segment Solid rocket.
if so called S-250 booster is planned, just one more segment would be added...same diameter but taller rocket...

and SCE-200 would replace L-110 engine not those solid rocket boosters...

solid-rocket-booster-cutaway.jpg

Last edited:

republic_roi97

Country flag

republic_roi97

Country flag
Chandrayaan-2 mission costs INR 600 crore and would have a lander, rover with life expectancy of 1 Earth Day, the rover would move with the speed of 1 centimeter per minute which would limit it to just 1 km distance.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...handrayaan-2-landing/articleshow/55419030.cms
"The objective is to achieve two things. One, land the lander successfully and deploy the rover; two, study the surface using payloads on the rover. I think we'll be able to achieve both with the current plan," Annadurai said, adding that the rover will be controlled from the ground stations here.

Akask kumar

Chandrayaan-2 mission costs INR 600 crore and would have a lander, rover with life expectancy of 1 Earth Day, the rover would move with the speed of 1 centimeter per minute which would limit it to just 1 km distance.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...handrayaan-2-landing/articleshow/55419030.cms
what limits the life or rover on celestial bodies.. as they have solar panel and batteries .they should work until the battery or solar panel expires..

on earth solar panel ,batteries work for months without problem..

Akask kumar

Maybe the cosmic dust ???? :biggrin2::biggrin2:
i think they use one time chargable battery , as the weight of rover is limited by design so they cant go for multiple times chargable bulky batteries.

plus the insulation in the rover is not enough to keep the battery and other equipment warm for more than a day..

so the rover dies because of cold.. i hope i am thinking in right direction..

@shiphone might have the answer..

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Country flag
@Indx TechStyle What is S-250 ? A magnified version of S-200 of current LVM3 ???
No, S250 is Cryogenic First Stage of HLV. S200 second and C50 will be third, the cryogenic upper stage of that rocket (correct me, if I'm wrong).
@Akask kumar
i am waiting for @Indx TechStyle to confirm this C-50 confusion..
HLV! A 10 Tonne Cryogenic stage (C10)! Also C50 is twin engine and both stages being powered by CE 20.
Hope it helps.

Quoting some report one of my posts from Indian Mars Missions Thread (I hope I posted it earlier, sorry if I missed):
Cryogenic Propulsion Systems Development in ISRO

V. NARAYANAN .

<snip>

FUTURE PLANS
ISRO is designing heavy-lift launch vehicles with capabilities in the range of 6-10 tonnes in GTO. For this purpose, the following propulsion systems are being pursued:

• A 200 tonne propellant loading LOX and kerosene booster stage powered by a 2,000 kN thrust semi-cryogenic engine operating on stage combustion cycle.
  • A 50 tonne LOX-LH2 propellant loading cryogenic stage powered by twin CE 20 cryogenic engines.
  • A 10 tonne LOX-LH2 propellant loading cryogenic stage powered by a CE 20 cryogenic engine.
I just stumbled in this info on a number of forums. Though, I can't authenciate it.

Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle concepts

ISRO have carried out study of 4 different concepts of HLV to date . These are explained below in random order .

Concept-1

Payload Capacity : 25 tons to LEO (10 tons to GTO)

A Heavy lift Launch Vehicle capable of placing up to 10 ton class of spacecrafts into Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit is currently under study by a project team. This new generation launch vehicle will derive its propulsion modules from LVM3 as well as from new developments, which include :

1) semi cryogenic booster stage, SC200
2) larger solid strap on boosters as compared to S200 used in LVM3 (S250) and
3) a larger cryogenic upper stage (C50).

Welcome to VIKRAM SARABHAI SPACE CENTRE - Heavy Lift Launcher

Concept-2&3

Concept 2&3 together was supposed to carry out a human mission to moon . It was first shown in a presentation by ISRO at the IAC 2009 .

Concept-2 = Crew Launch Vehicle
* Architecture - 4 S230 + SC500 + C60
* Liftoff weight - 1690 tons
* Capability - 31 tons to Low Earth Orbit
* Payload - Crew Module (6 tons) + Service Module (25 tons)

Concept-3 = Carge Launch Vehicle
* Architecture - 8 S230 + SC800 + C60
* Liftoff weight - 3075 tons
* Capability - 84 tons to Low Earth Orbit
* Payload - Earth Departure Stage (67 tons) + Lunar Descent Module (17 tons)
SuperNova: Indian Moon Rockets: First Look

Concept-4

Single LV capable of Lunar Man Mission with payload capacity of 100tons to LEO

This looks like a single LV capable of replacing two LV of concept-2&3

SuperNova: ISRO Heavy Lift Vehicle

Articles