INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
Well it seems to mount the ARDE UBGL the user just has to remove the front hand guard and mount the UBGL. It wouldn't really be much hard to make a 3'o Clock, 6'o Clock and 9'o Clock RIS rail for the rifle by OFB or ARDE and mounting them on the rifle, which would require a company/battalion armourer at most. The carrying could also still be retained with the RIS rail as it doesn't seem to obstruct in the 9'o Clock rail area. The dust cover rails is something again that can be done easily by OFB or ARDE. Although a 12'o clock rail or un-interrupted top rail is not possible due to the charging handle and carry-handle obstruction and would require extensive re-engineering.

Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
IHMO the idea is that soldiers dont waste ammo, with belt feed of double drum they will tend to put more bullets on target then what is needed.

Therefore IA used 30 Bullet mag for the LMG. In long war it will be decisive factor.
Saya the idea of an LMG is not the same as of an AR.LMG is there to provide long bursts of suppressive fire either to contain an enemy onslaught or the enemies holed up in bunker.In such a case 30 round mags are inadequate as they tend to get emptied very soon and frequent mag changes in front of enemy means more waste of time.Atleast inducting a 45 round mag as used in RPK74 will make sense.
Also this was the same reason M16s were upgraded with 30 round mags in the later half of vietnam war replacing the 20 rond mags.

JBH22

IHMO the idea is that soldiers dont waste ammo, with belt feed of double drum they will tend to put more bullets on target then what is needed.

Therefore IA used 30 Bullet mag for the LMG. In long war it will be decisive factor.
Actually the "LMG" Insas is more like a SAW in the likes of RPK-74, however during Kargil war where you need to provide suppressive fire a decent LMG like the M-240/M-60 or PK Machine Gun is highly desirable.

The real question now would be what is the ideal composition of an Indian infantry assault squad.

JBH22

US Modern Infantry Squads
Modern Infantry Squad (12-man goal; 10-man realistic)

Squad Leader - M-16 / binoculars / bullhorn

Medic - normally attached

Attack Team

Team leader - M-16

Grenadier - M16 with M203 (or better)

Rifleman - M-16 (maybe Hi-bar)

Rifleman - M-16

Rifleman - M-16 (extra man)

Weapons Team

Team Leader - M-16 with M203 (or better)barrett.JPG (68547 bytes)

Machine Gunner - M249 5.56mm SAW

Sharpshooter - Barrett .338 LM

Rocker - MPIM/SRAW rocket

Rifleman - M-16 (extra man / ammo carrier)
Modern Infantry Squads

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Saya the idea of an LMG is not the same as of an AR.LMG is there to provide long bursts of suppressive fire either to contain an enemy onslaught or the enemies holed up in bunker.In such a case 30 round mags are inadequate as they tend to get emptied very soon and frequent mag changes in front of enemy means more waste of time.Atleast inducting a 45 round mag as used in RPK74 will make sense.
Also this was the same reason M16s were upgraded with 30 round mags in the later half of vietnam war replacing the 20 rond mags.
single or double drum mag. is ideal, provided soldier is decline and wont waste the ammo. I am aware that mag. is finished very very quickly.

Dinesh_Kumar

Good stuff mate....
Well it seems to mount the ARDE UBGL the user just has to remove the front hand guard and mount the UBGL. It wouldn't really be much hard to make a 3'o Clock, 6'o Clock and 9'o Clock RIS rail for the rifle by OFB or ARDE and mounting them on the rifle, which would require a company/battalion armourer at most. The carrying could also still be retained with the RIS rail as it doesn't seem to obstruct in the 9'o Clock rail area. The dust cover rails is something again that can be done easily by OFB or ARDE. Although a 12'o clock rail or un-interrupted top rail is not possible due to the charging handle and carry-handle obstruction and would require extensive re-engineering.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I would love to see Picatinny rail STD 1913 on INSAS, for the reason if tomorrow war with Chini happen and we need Night visions and thermals for our INSAS, if Uncle send few plane loads of them, at least with P rail 1913 standards we can easily put them on our INSAS. Without these rails we cant put them.

kaustav2001

Country flag
Large drums don't make any sense to me. Using a box feeding a belt must be easier, like US Army M 249 SAW.
Yep, the SAW is a really useful weapon for laying down suppressive firepower. I am all for a belt fed INSAS with a SAW/PKM type magzine, not sure why this wasn't explored for the INSAS LMG.

Waffen SS

US Modern Infantry Squads

Modern Infantry Squads
Wrong sir, it is M 4, current standard weapon of US Army.

I think INSAS has lots of un necessary parts, if we deduct them it's weight will be less. What about INSAS bullet and firing mode?

Larger bullets like 7.62 mm cause larger recoli thus it is difficult to maintain accuracy during automatic fire, so if you are using 7.62 rounds use 3 round burst and semi-automatic mode, if you are using 5.56 mm bullets then it is better use full automatic hence smaller rounds cause smaller recoil.

So INSAS use 7.62 mm then current semi-auto and burst mode, if uses 5.56 mm then full auto.

M 249 SAW is a good gun how ever US is planning to replace it partially with M 27.

M 27 new German made.
@Kunal Biswas can you post some pictures of Omanese and Nepalese soldiers with INSAS rifle? I did not find any thing good.

Last edited by a moderator:

hitesh

IA is touchy about giving Full auto mode on there rifle due to past experience where whole post was over run when the ammo finished in the middle of fight due to poor supply chain and poor discipline but they never thought about the diversity of situation where it could be used ,in QCB it would be a bad choice ,i would chose 1947 designed AK without a second thought in that case .
And i don't think there is a need to replace the INSAS at least as battle rifle instead money should be utilized for a decent scope
and it make a big difference

ladder

Country flag
Has any new version of Insas have arrived or is it the 1B1 ( black furniture ) Insas, the article talks of?

"Similarly, the force is using INSAS and AK series of rifles which never encountered any problem. An order has also been placed to procure the latest version of INSAS which was recently purchased by CISF and seems to be a good weapon with new user friendly features,"
This is a article dated 25 oct 2013.

Central Forces not to cut on equipment - The New Indian Express

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Our system is slow, sloppy in making division which cost us, INSAS is an excellent rifle and many things can be done to inhance it ..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I would love to see Picatinny rail STD 1913 on INSAS, for the reason if tomorrow war with Chini happen and we need Night visions and thermals for our INSAS, if Uncle send few plane loads of them, at least with P rail 1913 standards we can easily put them on our INSAS. Without these rails we cant put them.
If tommarow war happens, I hope to see every infentry men with a medium range scope with insas, OFB makes but almost none are there in army due to idelogy issues ..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
If tommarow war happens, I hope to see every infentry men with a medium range scope with insas, OFB makes but almost none are there in army due to idelogy issues ..
Sir i saw the day magnifying scope for INSAS it solve the trageting of near and far iron sight problem, it will be great addition to INSAS.

The Fox

Hey Kunal What do u mean by Ideology issues please explain

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles