INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

nongaddarliberal

Country flag

------------------------------
I guess our generals just don't like seeing modern looking firearms in regular troops hands. Full length picatinny, and length adjustable buttstocks have proven to be very useful in all armies which have adopted them. Especially with the vastly differing heights in Indian troops. Full length picatinny would also be useful to mount laser designators along with sights.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
I guess our generals just don't like seeing modern looking firearms in regular troops hands. Full length picatinny, and length adjustable buttstocks have proven to be very useful in all armies which have adopted them. Especially with the vastly differing heights in Indian troops. Full length picatinny would also be useful to mount laser designators along with sights.
We can mount laser designators, flash lights and foregrip on the production variant but the loss of the thumb shelf on the selector lever is pretty stupid. Of all the features that were removed, this is the one that irks me the most. Russians possibly asked for $25 per piece vs the usual $10 for the selector and some MoD bean-counter decided to scrap it.

I'm pretty sure a bunch of mechanical engineering 2nd year kids could mill out a few pieces in under an hour.

ram singh तोपची

Country flag
Until recently the Indian Army was exploring the use of the AK 204 for it's carbine requirements. However it looks like the CAR 816 CQB variant has been down selected for the Carbine role as intended previously. This is apparent by the DRDO lifting it's objections to the import of a foreign carbine over the OFB/ARDE one and IRRPL having been confirmed to be making only AK 203 rifles.

AK 204 ; AK 203

CAR 816 CQB

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EL4WDEfUUAEdUdk?format=jpg&name=900x900

We are essentially buying a Russian variant of the Bulgarian M5F41 in practice. For comparison :

View attachment 43233

M5F41

AK 203 Production Variant

I believe that the ergonomic buttstock, 50 round magazine and Picatinny rail on the upper handguard were removed to reduce the price for 100% indigenisation. After all the military equipment you use is the cheapest of the best not the best of the best.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/feb...nic_assault_rifle_of_indian_armed_forces.html
so why the fish army does not go with Bulgarian M5F41 if it is practically same
ugsy0yvdaay31.png

vampyrbladez

Country flag
so why the fish army does not go with Bulgarian M5F41 if it is practically same View attachment 43276
MHA has booked the M5F41 orders for years. M1F41 orders are now being taken over by Trichy Assault Rifle. Apparently it could be be a simple case of ToT to OFB by JSC Arsenal AD . Besides this is Russian hafta for veto at UNSC and access to strategic technology like nuclear submarines, S-400, hypersonic technology, MIRV, etc.

Special thanks to @Unknowncommando 2 for the above image.

Basically we are paying for AK203 and buying AK103. That's open shameless corruption and nothing else. I am waiting for what CAG has to say over this fiasco. I too hope the deal gets scraped.
Other than the removal of the ergonomic stock,thumb shelf on selector lever, Picatinny rail on upper handguard and 50 round magazine, the production AK 203 is the same as the display model. Most of these cuts are for reducing the per unit cost for the average infantry soldier. Only the thumb shelf on the selector lever irritates me because some MoD Babu was responsible for that.

vampyrbladez

Country flag

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Man they really are nuts tomorrow Americans will were anti gravity shoes our army guys will start talking about it.
Koi desi solution bhi hai inka?
To be honest. 6.5 will be an extremely good option. People say that we have to produce all the ammunition anew, rather than use old ammo, but every new generation of firearms brings that issue. We shifted to 7.62 NATO from .303, and then to 5.56. We've done it before. 6.5-6.8 will allow standard ammunition for assault rifles, Designated marksman rifles, LMG, and Carbines. Right now we are using 4 different types of ammo for all of the above. When western armies adopt these rounds, we will inevitably have a chicken little episode and will once again go on a procurement spree. Better to do it now, and hand over the ak 203's to CRPF and Police.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
ARDE - Armament Research and Development Establishment, DRDO

6.8x43mm Assault Rifle
is the remnant of the Multi Calibre Individual Weapon System (MCIWS) which had interchangeable barrels. Army rejected it but is now more interested in a 6.8 mm round because that is the future of NATO standards.

https://idrw.org/drdo-developing-next-gen-6-8mm-assault-rifle/
6.5 Grendel has proven better than 6.8 mm. It has a better ballistic coefficient, so better accuracy, and less recoil, while delivering the same power. They should go for that rather than 6.8mm.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Interesting video about the SCAR, by two former navy seals. Should note the flaws they highlight.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

in a handing over ceremony on 21/02/2020, 100numbers of 7.62x51mm Sniper Rifles were handed over by General Manager of RFI Shri D.K. Mahapatra to Brigadier H.S. Sandhu, SM Commander of 22 Sector of Assam Rifles
Fastest I have ever seen an OFB small arm get inducted to the forces. Hope to see SSS Defence products thrive even more.

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles