INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It is being demanded due to the reason call ' Shoot to kill round ', Though the round does not guarantee any such claim, What more important is the ' hit placement ' ..

7.62 nato has greater range to 800ms direct fire except that it has no advantage over 5.56mm round, The rounds preform equally on various Indian terrains ..

itsme

Country flag
Kunal, have you ever fired an Indian SLR? How was build quality?
I have fired an Indian SLR. It is a sturdy rifle, built quality wise it is pretty decent, I found the finishing somewhat weird, maybe its just me I have not fired an FN FAL so I have nothing to compare the SLR with but considering my limited knowledge I only found the finish a bit off but other than that, its a beautiful rifle and very good feel to squeeze the trigger and the butt jerk back on your shoulder.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
I don't think IA is going for caliber change. Expect issue of two 7.62x51 rifles per section of around 8-12 soldiers.

Prashant12

Country flag
New rifle ready, but Army holds fire

The Ordnance Factory Board has developed a new 7.62-mm assault rifle for the Army, which will begin trials of the weapon in June.

But the Army remains unenthused about the gun and is going ahead with a global tender for procuring new rifles.

“The trials of the new 7.62x51mm assault rifle were to happen in May but got delayed. The first trial will now happen in the first half of June at the Rifle Factory, Ishapore. Eight rifles have been prepared for the trials,” a senior OFB official told The Hindu. Work on the gun began on October 1, 2016 and was completed in a “record six months” as per the requirements of the Army, the official said.

Long firing range

The rifle weighs 4.5 kg and is fully automatic. It has two firing modes, single shot and automatic, and has a lethal firing range of 500 metres.

“The function of a self-loading rifle (SLR) has been transferred to the new rifle,” the official said referring to the superior lethal effect of the SLRs used in the past.

The rifle also has a picatinny rail, a standard bracket on the gun, both above and below, where various accessories such as night-vision devices and under-barrel grenade launchers can be mounted. Basic trials were conducted during the development.

The trials this month will be before the Project Management Team comprising representatives of the Army’s Infantry Directorate, the Rifle Factory, the Director-General, Quality Assurance, and the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

“During the basic trials, the rifle fired 300 rounds non-stop,” the official said and added that two representatives from the Army’s Infantry Directorate were involved in the entire trial process.

Once the rifle clears the PMT trials, it will be put through extensive field trials.

The Army has an initial requirement of 1,85,000 guns and much more later.

The OFB has so far supplied over 10 lakh INSAS (Indian National Small Arms System) rifles to the Army so far and the plan is to replace all of them.

The indigenously built 5.56-calibre INSAS rifle was cleared for induction into the Army in 1999 and was fully inducted by 2004.

Bid to replace INSAS

The Army has been trying to replace the INSAS and had launched an ambitious global tender for interchangeable barrels capable of firing both 5.56-mm and 7.62-mm-calibre bullets.

The tender for assault rifles with interchangeable barrels issued in December 2011 was cancelled in 2015 as none of the companies could meet the service quality specifications.

The Army has now decided to go for 7.62-mm calibre, and fresh General Staff Quality Requirements (GSQR) have just been issued.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/new-rifle-ready-but-army-holds-fire/article18718727.ece

Kay

Country flag

The Ordnance Factory Board has developed a new 7.62-mm assault rifle for the Army, which will begin trials of the weapon in June.

But the Army remains unenthused about the gun and is going ahead with a global tender for procuring new rifles.

“The trials of the new 7.62x51mm assault rifle were to happen in May but got delayed. The first trial will now happen in the first half of June at the Rifle Factory, Ishapore. Eight rifles have been prepared for the trials,” a senior OFB official told The Hindu. Work on the gun began on October 1, 2016 and was completed in a “record six months” as per the requirements of the Army, the official said.

Long firing range

The rifle weighs 4.5 kg and is fully automatic. It has two firing modes, single shot and automatic, and has a lethal firing range of 500 metres.

“The function of a self-loading rifle (SLR) has been transferred to the new rifle,” the official said referring to the superior lethal effect of the SLRs used in the past.

The rifle also has a picatinny rail, a standard bracket on the gun, both above and below, where various accessories such as night-vision devices and under-barrel grenade launchers can be mounted. Basic trials were conducted during the development.

The trials this month will be before the Project Management Team comprising representatives of the Army’s Infantry Directorate, the Rifle Factory, the Director-General, Quality Assurance, and the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

“During the basic trials, the rifle fired 300 rounds non-stop,” the official said and added that two representatives from the Army’s Infantry Directorate were involved in the entire trial process.

Once the rifle clears the PMT trials, it will be put through extensive field trials.

The OFB has so far supplied over 10 lakh INSAS (Indian National Small Arms System) rifles to the Army so far and the plan is to replace all of them.

The indigenously built 5.56-calibre INSAS rifle was cleared for induction into the Army in 1999 and was fully inducted by 2004.

Bid to replace INSAS

The Army has been trying to replace the INSAS and had launched an ambitious global tender for interchangeable barrels capable of firing both 5.56-mm and 7.62-mm-calibre bullets.

The tender for assault rifles with interchangeable barrels issued in December 2011 was cancelled in 2015 as none of the companies could meet the service quality specifications.

The Army has now decided to go for 7.62-mm calibre, and fresh General Staff Quality Requirements (GSQR) have just been issued.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/new-rifle-ready-but-army-holds-fire/article18718727.ece
I think Jaitley will put army in place...

SanjeevM

Country flag

Long firing range

Bid to replace INSAS

We should go with the this indigenous gun. Army should realize that we are at war with Pakistan and China is also flexing its muscles. We don't have luxuries of 4-5 years of tendering process. Get done with the rigorous testing and if you are satisfied, order in bulk.

Give the Insas for use by police forces in different states. Upgrade their old rifles to Insas.

Kchontha

Country flag

Long firing range

Bid to replace INSAS

These types of article will crop up every time there is some good news in the indigenous front. They will keep on saying their blah blah blah with an unnamed source.... because arm trade involves a hefty sum of money... these media, delals, and such and such work in collusion. All these will be compounded on the price of the product (assault/battle rifle in this case). On the other hand indigenous efforts do not involve these things.
If this news is true then let there be a fair simultaneous/comparative trial between these rifles. May the best in terms of reliability and cost win and be in the hands of the soldiers..... jai hind.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Their are plenty of inputs are wrong in the article ..

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
INDRA Exclusive

Bringing you guys another never seen before project of DRDO, DRDO 7.62 MM Belt Fed LMG.

The project is, as of now, in developmental stage. The gun in background is an INSAS LMG.
The gun comes with a spare barrel that can be quickly change in case of overheating to prevent cook-off and increase barrel life.

SALIENT FEATURES -

Caliber - 7.62 * 51 mm

Length of the gun - 1200 mm

Weight - 9.3 kg

Effective Range - 800m

ROF - >600 RPM

Operating Mechanism - Air Cooled Gas Operated

Muzzle Velocity - >800 m/s

Bipod - Folding and Adjustable

Mode - Single & Burst mode

Sight - Iron and Telescopic Day Sight

Picatinny Rail - MIL - STD - 1913View attachment 16104 View attachment 16105 View attachment 16106 View attachment 16107

Love this thing, get this trialed and ironed out, and in service!

Flame Thrower

Love this thing, get this trialed and ironed out, and in service!
That is the last thing you wanna do if you want your weapon to be loved by users.

Sure, you get lot of inputs and may make it better. But it takes time to sort out the issues and upgrade the existing one. Atleast 4 yrs for the first batch of updated weapons that come to users.

4 yrs is 1/4 of regular soldier life in the army. If it doesn't impress him on from day 1, keep struggling with it for 4 yrs; even if the weapon gets better, impression on the weapon doesn't change.

Using a shaddy weapon(doesn't mean that weapon is shaddy, but as per that particular soldier who used shaddy weapon for 4 yrs) means, soldier with little less morale(this is the last thing we want i.e., soldiers morale being affected)....

I'd rather wait till the entire testing is completed than induct un tested weapon.

Note: I've never fired any weapon, but I had similar experience of using shaddy things and I couldn't change my opinion even after issues sorted.

Gurus, please let me know if I've assumed anything wrongly.

Thus I end my case.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
That is the last thing you wanna do if you want your weapon to be loved by users.

Sure, you get lot of inputs and may make it better. But it takes time to sort out the issues and upgrade the existing one. Atleast 4 yrs for the first batch of updated weapons that come to users.

4 yrs is 1/4 of regular soldier life in the army. If it doesn't impress him on from day 1, keep struggling with it for 4 yrs; even if the weapon gets better, impression on the weapon doesn't change.

Using a shaddy weapon(doesn't mean that weapon is shaddy, but as per that particular soldier who used shaddy weapon for 4 yrs) means, soldier with little less morale(this is the last thing we want i.e., soldiers morale being affected)....

I'd rather wait till the entire testing is completed than induct un tested weapon.

Note: I've never fired any weapon, but I had similar experience of using shaddy things and I couldn't change my opinion even after issues sorted.

Gurus, please let me know if I've assumed anything wrongly.

Thus I end my case.

Yes, that's why I said get this in trials and ironed out. Same thing. After the developmental, user trials are done, it'll naturally go through forward areas for further evaluation.

rishivashista13

Country flag

Long firing range

Bid to replace INSAS

Weight 4.5 kg , is it empty or loaded ?

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Prashant12

Country flag
Trial of indigenous assault rifle to begin from June 12

BENGALURU: The Army is set to begin on June 12 the first round of user trials of the indigenously developed 'shoot-to-kill' assault rifles, developed to replace the ageing and glitch-prone INSAS, even as it is on the lookout for other options globally.

The search for an assault rifle began in 2010 and continues till date despite firms like Colt and Sig Sauer from the US, Israel's IWI, Italian Beretta and Ceska from the Czech Republic making offers in response to two tenders floated in the years that followed.

The new indigenous rifle (7.62mm x 51mm) has been developed in six months at the Rifle Factory Ishapore (RFI), West Bengal, in association with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and is in line with the Army's staff quality requirements (SQRs).

"Until about a year-and-a-half ago, the Army wanted a 5.56mm category of rifles, the same class as the INSAS. However, with changing threat perceptions and increasing terrorism and other factors, the doctrine has changed and they now require a 'shoot-to-kill' weapon, something that can kill and not just incapacitate enemies as earlier," Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) chairman SC Bajpai told TOI . "We have already completed internal tests and have invited the PMT (Project Management Team) for user trials."

Bajpai said former defence minister Manohar Parrikar had, in September 2016, set a challenge for developing a rifle that can meet the new requirements within six months. "...Work on the drawing board began in October and we had 10 rifles ready by May. Now their PMT (project management team) will come on June 12," he said. The 4kg rifle - lighter than the 4.15-kg INSAS - has all the capabilities the Army had specified in its 'Request for Information' issued to potential global suppliers .

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...o-begin-from-june-12/articleshow/59061913.cms

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
I was hoping they would develop a version of MCIWS/AAR in 7.62 NATO (something similar to H&K 417 and MPT-76) but they developed a Kalashnikov variant ( something similar to Galil ACE 52) in it.

Kchontha

Country flag
Trial of indigenous assault rifle to begin from June 12

BENGALURU: The Army is set to begin on June 12 the first round of user trials of the indigenously developed 'shoot-to-kill' assault rifles, developed to replace the ageing and glitch-prone INSAS, even as it is on the lookout for other options globally.

The search for an assault rifle began in 2010 and continues till date despite firms like Colt and Sig Sauer from the US, Israel's IWI, Italian Beretta and Ceska from the Czech Republic making offers in response to two tenders floated in the years that followed.

The new indigenous rifle (7.62mm x 51mm) has been developed in six months at the Rifle Factory Ishapore (RFI), West Bengal, in association with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and is in line with the Army's staff quality requirements (SQRs).

"Until about a year-and-a-half ago, the Army wanted a 5.56mm category of rifles, the same class as the INSAS. However, with changing threat perceptions and increasing terrorism and other factors, the doctrine has changed and they now require a 'shoot-to-kill' weapon, something that can kill and not just incapacitate enemies as earlier," Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) chairman SC Bajpai told TOI . "We have already completed internal tests and have invited the PMT (Project Management Team) for user trials."

Bajpai said former defence minister Manohar Parrikar had, in September 2016, set a challenge for developing a rifle that can meet the new requirements within six months. "...Work on the drawing board began in October and we had 10 rifles ready by May. Now their PMT (project management team) will come on June 12," he said. The 4kg rifle - lighter than the 4.15-kg INSAS - has all the capabilities the Army had specified in its 'Request for Information' issued to potential global suppliers .

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...o-begin-from-june-12/articleshow/59061913.cms
INSAS rifle is an old and glitch-prone rifle!? Lol! I wonder why print media like TOI employs these babbling morons. While mentioning the new rifle's weight, it did not mention whether the rifle is loaded or not.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles