INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Somalia was a disgrace where the rag tag made these fancy weaponry aircraft support GI Joes look like amateurs scurrying out and handing over to the UN was most embarrassing. The India Army, as a part of the UN, in contrast did magnificently. And the UN there was under an Indian Brigadier.
Off-topic America bashing continues apace in this thread -- no surprise.

But there are some other facts to consider.

This from Wiki but UN cites could be found I imagine.

Somalia (March 1992 to February 1996)

Contribution: 7200 troops.
Casualties: 39.

United Nations Operation in Somalia I (UNOSOM I), during the Somali Civil War, Pakistan was the first country to respond to the call of the United Nations. On 14 September 1992 five hundred Pakistani troops arrived in Mogadishu to launch the United Nation humanitarian campaign. Deployment of the security force was preceded by the arrival of an advance party of 50 United Nation observers, drawn from different countries, led by a Pakistani Brigadier.
United Nations peacekeeping missions involving Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

karn

Country flag
It looks like a ak 47/74 with poly furniture .. It makes sense for MHA troops . Better than buying more vz 58s or other AK variants from Eastern Europe.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
Its nothiing but thhe earlier OFB made AK7, direct copy of Russian AKM fited with polymer hand guards with integrated rails.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Country flag
So, yes that model is the Ishapore model that will be mass produced.

Kay

Country flag
Can someone explain how this gun is different from the original AK47?
Also the reason for foreign tender was interchangeable barrels for different types of ammunition, ambidextrous operations, rails and gadgets...what happened to that?

pmaitra

Can someone explain how this gun is different from the original AK47?
Also the reason for foreign tender was interchangeable barrels for different types of ammunition, ambidextrous operations, rails and gadgets...what happened to that?
I can try and answer the second question.

Interchangeable barrels for different types of ammo can be handled by our indigenously developed MCIWS: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/indian-army/58105-drdo-multical-rifle-unveiled.html

Kay

Country flag
Thanks. That is one nice looking rifle.
So, now we have the MCIWS and Ishapore AK47.
If I am guessing correctly then Ishapore AK47 goes to CRPF and security forces under homw ministry, while the MCIWS will be for the army.
But wasn't the original tender for the army?

pmaitra

Thanks. That is one nice looking rifle.
So, now we have the MCIWS and Ishapore AK47.
If I am guessing correctly then Ishapore AK47 goes to CRPF and security forces under homw ministry, while the MCIWS will be for the army.
But wasn't the original tender for the army?
I would call it AKM or AKM clone.

AKM will go to COIN, Home Minsitry and Defence Ministry forces will probably get INSAS, and MCIWS will probably be used for special forces. This is partly speculation.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I would call it AKM or AKM clone.

AKM will go to COIN, Home Minsitry and Defence Ministry forces will probably get INSAS, and MCIWS will probably be used for special forces. This is partly speculation.
MCIWS is meant for the infantry, the SF have their Tavors and a free choice in selecting their weapons. The MCIWS is meant to REPLACE the INSAS as the standard issue weapon of the regular forces.

Articles