INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

laughingbuddha

Country flag
Re: ADA LCA Tejas - IV

Indian Weapon Systems are unique, They are design to operate under Indian conditions and our way of training, A nice example can be INSAS ..

Armed forces does not care about there Weapon being par with others in market, In short the arms made are not procured based on comparison ..

The INSAS is a problematic weapon. Forget the army, even the para military and police has reservations about the rifle.
I come from an insurgency hit area and police here prefer the AK series anytime. Many opt for the SLR if AKs are in short supply.

The army's plan to induct a new assault rifle supports the case.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

I personally Use INSAS 1B1 time to time at range, I dont find problems nor others, My background is Army ..

I have seen Paramilitary forces such as CRPF and BSF, Their discipline with firearms are not good as our, Hence they have issues ..

Many units used old procedure of cleaning Rifle which is also cause of such issues, Army does not follow such old procedure anylonger hence no issues ..

=================

The plan to induct new AR is a scam in progress, The questions you asked i have answered in very detailed ..

I only request you and many others to give a read, Its insulting to hear something which is not true about something which did not disappointed us ..

The INSAS is a problematic weapon. Forget the army, even the para military and police has reservations about the rifle.
I come from an insurgency hit area and police here prefer the AK series anytime. Many opt for the SLR if AKs are in short supply.

The army's plan to induct a new assault rifle supports the case.

sydsnyper

Country flag

Completely agree @Kunal Biswas

I personally Use INSAS 1B1 time to time at range, I dont find problems nor others, My background is Army ..

I have seen Paramilitary forces such as CRPF and BSF, Their discipline with firearms are not good as our, Hence they have issues ..

Many units used old procedure of cleaning Rifle which is also cause of such issues, Army does not follow such old procedure anylonger hence no issues ..

=================

The plan to induct new AR is a scam in progress, The questions you asked i have answered in very detailed ..

I only request you and many others to give a read, Its insulting to hear something which is not true about something which did not disappointed us ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Offtopic : In Indian Army you will find mostly two brands of watches one is Timex other is Casio ..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
These are available to civilians, They are rugged watch for mostly sportsman ..

For example most known IA watch is Timex Iron-man and recently Canteens have Casio G-Shock series ..

Specially made for army or just normal watches?

hitesh

Offtopic : In Indian Army you will find mostly two brands of watches one is Timex other is Casio ..
Spot on ,i have Timex Expedition from CSD that was the best i could find in 9GR infantry canteen as Casio one looked cheep kids watch .

sbm

Country flag
Kunal, a question for you, is the INSAS LMG also well received in service ? I know the Bren is well liked. What about the OFB 9mm pistol ? Is the army happy with them in terms of quality, accuracy, reliability etc ? Do we have sufficient night-sights and night vision equipment for the infantry or is the shortfall still acute ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
INSAS LMG is issued with INSAS in all Infantry units, Bren is preferred in CT areas due to its heavy round so does INSAS LMG due to hi rate of fire .

9mm pistol in IA is good given that is well maintain like any other firearm, We are provided Passive night sight with INSAS so does Day sight ..

Though our training does not allow every solider to have optics but those who are excellence in sharp shooting ..

Glint

Country flag
INSAS LMG is issued with INSAS in all Infantry units, Bren is preferred in CT areas due to its heavy round so does INSAS LMG due to hi rate of fire .

9mm pistol in IA is good given that is well maintain like any other firearm, We are provided Passive night sight with INSAS so does Day sight ..

Though our training does not allow every solider to have optics but those who are excellence in sharp shooting ..
Is there any plans to change the standard LMG for Infantry?
are they going to produce a new LMG version of the new assault rifle they choose?

sbm

Country flag
Thanks Kunal, does each INSAS come with night sight and day telescope ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Yes, There is a RFI launched for a belt feed Light Machine Gun of 7.62x51mm, These LMG will have no similarities with Present AR or of future ..

Is there any plans to change the standard LMG for Infantry? ,are they going to produce a new LMG version of the new assault rifle they choose?
============================

No, The optics are provided in separated quantities ..

Thanks Kunal, does each INSAS come with night sight and day telescope ?

Blood+

Country flag
Yes, There is a RFI launched for a belt feed Light Machine Gun of 7.62x51mm, These LMG will have no similarities with Present AR or of future ..

============================

No, The optics are provided in separated quantities ..
You mean a MMG/GPMG....right??I mean the belt fed machine guns chambered for M 80 NATO is called GPMG and not LMG if my memory serves me correct.

And why does Indian Army want to induct a new GPMG chambered for 7.62X51mm NATO ammunitions when OFB has been already manufacturing the FN MAG 58 from decades now??Even the US Army and USMC has replaced their M 60s with MAG 58s (M 240 in US terminology)!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles