INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Had an unexpected event recently, Was confronted with INSAS Excalibur at some local mela .. :D

There was a OFB stall, And they displayed Excalibur, As i was not ready took few pictures but in details, And as the stall was crowded could not ask much questions either ..

Though will post these pics after editing .. :D
waiting for your pics sir................

The Fox

hey Kunal Where is the pics dude waiting for it man
Had an unexpected event recently, Was confronted with INSAS Excalibur at some local mela .. :D

There was a OFB stall, And they displayed Excalibur, As i was not ready took few pictures but in details, And as the stall was crowded could not ask much questions either ..

Though will post these pics after editing .. :D

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

At first look & touch, The rifle is compact & Light weighted compare to INSAS 1B1 which is in service, The size of the rifle is more or less same as a M4 carbine, This is probably because the barrel is not a 18 inch as its on 1B1 but this Excaluber has a 16inch barrel !, Unlike what i saw previously in defexpos, Excalibur has 18inch barrels, This means Excalibur has variants & the one in my hand was a 16inch barrel one for CQB ops

The rifle Excalibur as seen in the picture is smaller than an AK47/AKM and little longer than TAR-21 of 18inch, It was lighter around 2 kgs and with full loaded 22rnds Magazine its weight is around 2.5kgs, Unlike 1B1 is 3.5kgs full loaded, It was pleasure to hold this Rifle ..

Here the Rifle is in folded butt configuration, To be frank the size in this configuration was lesser than 9mm silenced carbine used in Army , This is perfect and impressive in CQB ops, where fighting is in tight corners ..

Now lets see some details in selector switch, S for semi auto, R for safety and A for automatic, This is not same with 1B1 as 1B1 options have no automatic but Burst, The switch itself is not same as 1B1`s, The Rifle is design for spray and pray like AK which is again for CQB ops, Also the Grip is also not like AK or 1B1`s, Though the Rifle retain similar 1B1`s rail, Trigger and almost all other major important parts for operating the rifle hence no new training for using this rifle..

What makes Excalibur looks different from his brother 1B1 is the over all fore-grip design which extend over gas pipe so does till Cocking handle, The material used is not a cheap plastic as many would call, But was rugged and good hard fiber furniture, Same material is used in Rifle butt, It is important to note the material used on Excalibur is not the same used over Improved 1B1, Excalibur is indeed a improved INSAS over Improved 1B1 INSAS, Unfortunately its not under service ..
=====================
=====================

Conclusion : What i learned is that Excalibur has different version itself, Mainly with different barrels and it is design for both Long and Close combat operations, It is light and short compare to 1B1 in service, I was impressed with the fiber quality that Rifle offers compare to 1B1 also the Rifle operation is same as 1B1 hence it does not require new training to handle, Overall its a good design rifle and deserve operational service within Army..

It is also unfortunate that i cannot used this nice Rifle over firing range to know full extend of its capability and preform-ace ..

Jaldi karo yarrrrrrr.
waiting for your pics sir................
hey Kunal Where is the pics dude waiting for it man

The Fox

thanks kunal

=====================
=====================

Conclusion : What i learned is that Excalibur has different version itself, Mainly with different barrels and it is design for both Long and Close combat operations, It is light and short compare to 1B1 in service, I was impressed with the fiber quality that Rifle offers compare to 1B1 also the Rifle operation is same as 1B1 hence it does not require new training to handle, Overall its a good design rifle and deserve operational service within Army..

It is also unfortunate that i cannot used this nice Rifle over firing range to know full extend of its capability and preform-ace ..

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
can this excaliber rifle be chambered for 7.62*39/51 caliber rounds so that even if not in army this rifle can be used in paramilitary forces?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Just posting this, That DRDO unveiled its MICWS ..

rajsking

Country flag
kunal sir figure would be 1 billion which means 1,000,000,000 USD and in INR it is 55,000,000,000 which is 5500 crores
so cost per unit is 8,59,375

INSAS cost about 25000 INR :tsk:
In one of the promotional videos - they talked about it being priced at around 2000USD. Even if we consider they overshot it by 100%, it should not cost more than 4000 USD. This translates into about 2.5 lakhs per piece.
There is still a huge unexplained gap of Rs 6 lakhs.

rajsking

Country flag
Insas LMG

Kunal ji,

1) Do you have any video / schematic showing quick changing mechanism of barrels of Machine guns.
2) Is it possible to have an assault rifle cum machine gun. Machine gun usually have open bolt while AR have closed bolt - so would like to understand if there is gun which can operate either way.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
1. I dont believe there are any vids of such available on net, regarding INSAS LMG ..

2. No, It cannot act as both not due to bolt but due to barrels, An LMG has thicker and Heavy barrel, It gets hot slowly where as AR`s barrel is not thicker as LMG, If fired 30 rnds from an AR in full auto it will be red hot, And if more rounds are fired it can be cherry red and will glow also will jam and may bend the barrel itself ..

Kunal ji,

1) Do you have any video / schematic showing quick changing mechanism of barrels of Machine guns.
2) Is it possible to have an assault rifle cum machine gun. Machine gun usually have open bolt while AR have closed bolt - so would like to understand if there is gun which can operate either way.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Double .. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
The mag seems to be different from the usual AK mags.Will this weapon could use AK mags or is like VZ58 which could'nt use AK mags?

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

A member of the Indian Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) stands guard on a building during Eid al-Fitr prayers Guwahati, the capital city of the state of Assam in India; 2012

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles