INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

ShukantC

Country flag
I honestly dont know why does the Indian Army just update the INSAS rifle only. After the kinks noticed early on after adoptions had been cleared out the rifle as I have come to understand it from friends in the Army that it is a decent shooting rifle with no major faults and stoppages if looked after properly, so it is a decent rifle. Even the M16 rifle when introduced it had a lot problems.

It just needs some desperately required ergonomics update. For eg change that horrible grip to a ergonomic pistol grip. The fixed buttstock needs to be replaced by a retractable butt stock like the one shown above for the trichy. The horrible upper and the front furniture can be replaced by the picatinny railed upper of the carbine (CQB) variant.

To make a rifle ambidextrous the charging handle, the magazine release, the fire selector and the extraction port all need to be dual sided for easy operation for both left and right handed shooter.
1)Now in the INSAS rifle the magazine release is already ambi from start so no problem.
2)The charging handle which is currently horizontally aligned if made vertical like in the GALIL earlier version so as to be accessible by both left and right handed shooter.
3)For the fire selector it should be an easy mechanical connection to fix the ambi problem.
4)For the extraction port the easiest and simple option to do is just add a bullet stop basically a wedge integrated to the extraction port to bounce of any spent casing forward rather than backward so as no casing flies onto the soldiers face.

These upgrades can be done cheaply and most importantly fast as I doubt any program run by the Army to choose a main rifle will take ages.

PS: These updates can easily be done on all the variants of the rifle currently in operation and also on the 7.62 version of the INSAS that has been in development.

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
I honestly dont know why does the Indian Army just update the INSAS rifle only. After the kinks noticed early on after adoptions had been cleared out the rifle as I have come to understand it from friends in the Army that it is a decent shooting rifle with no major faults and stoppages if looked after properly, so it is a decent rifle. Even the M16 rifle when introduced it had a lot problems.

It just needs some desperately required ergonomics update. For eg change that horrible grip to a ergonomic pistol grip. The fixed buttstock needs to be replaced by a retractable butt stock like the one shown above for the trichy. The horrible upper and the front furniture can be replaced by the picatinny railed upper of the carbine (CQB) variant.

To make a rifle ambidextrous the charging handle, the magazine release, the fire selector and the extraction port all need to be dual sided for easy operation for both left and right handed shooter.
1)Now in the INSAS rifle the magazine release is already ambi from start so no problem.
2)The charging handle which is currently horizontally aligned if made vertical like in the GALIL earlier version so as to be accessible by both left and right handed shooter.
3)For the fire selector it should be an easy mechanical connection to fix the ambi problem.
4)For the extraction port the easiest and simple option to do is just add a bullet stop basically a wedge integrated to the extraction port to bounce of any spent casing forward rather than backward so as no casing flies onto the soldiers face.

These upgrades can be done cheaply and most importantly fast as I doubt any program run by the Army to choose a main rifle will take ages.

PS: These updates can easily be done on all the variants of the rifle currently in operation and also on the 7.62 version of the INSAS that has been in development.
Well 7.62 version of insas as standard issue would have been best.
But no commision is there.

ketaki

Country flag

One word...OFB

Hope that explains what I want to say

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

One word...OFB

Hope that explains what I want to say
When FAB Defense offered most of the ergonomic changes(not mechanical), nobody was interested, why will armed forces accept OFBs.
1628407565241.png

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
INSAS IPR should be shared with Private companies, they might innovate with it over years.

Kchontha

Country flag
Most of the great nations have their own rifles, the British, french, Israelis, even the Chinese have flaunted their own rifles to name a few nations except India.

SKC

Country flag
Atleast use some new gen butt stocks instead of these decades old Russian butt stock.
Using just a AR platform butt stock will completely change the look of these rifles.

Instead of TriCa name is just as TRIC which sounds sic!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles