INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Kchontha

Country flag
The excalibur is based on the infamous INSAS rifle and a defect free, robust, reliable and accurate rifle, that is produced to the highest quality standards along with the required types of ammunition.

It is a rugged weapon for battlefield engagements that will be lightweight and easy to handle, one that would prove useful in Close Quarter Battle (CQB) situations and in low intensity conflicts. INSAS Excalibur rifle shoots straight and is less prone to jamming. It can be mounted with various accessories.

The very fact that the INSAS Excalibur will have to operate in diverse climatic condition would place special demands on the weapon.

The Eighties vintage of the INSAS design uses steel for most of its parts and wood/ Bakelite for handgrips and butt-stock. Modern rifles, however, are primarily made of plastic and aluminium, with the latest designs also using composites.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Kchontha

Country flag
JPVC poster with a South African flag in background.

Source: twitter

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Gessler

Country flag
Why OFB cant come with anything original of its own having so much resource and manpower at their disposal.

a copy of SSG 3000
View attachment 35775 View attachment 35776
The OFB rifle does seem to draw a lot from SSG 3000. Didn't even make an effort to change the design of the bolt & the ejection port, though they did modify the frame.

However, I really don't mind as long as it works. The actual problem I have with the OFB sniper rifle is the fact that it sits in a wooden frame. These are notorious for warping in tropical/heat conditions. There's a reason why the majority of global manufacturers of precision rifles switched over completely to polymer.

Perhaps that's the reason why the military is steering well clear of this OFB 'innovation'. It's strange considering I actually heard a while ago that it was specifically the military that asked for a wooden frame years ago, which led to the development of this rifle. Likely a misguided requirement? Whatever the reason, it doesn't seem like the Army and/or SFs want anything to do with this rifle anymore - and for good reason.

OFB needs to come out with a polymer frame for this rifle. And secondly, make the whole thing less bulky. If it was me in charge, I'd actually give the receiver, barrel & trigger assembly over to SS-LMT and ask them to come up with an ergonomic polymer frame for it (they actually have a sniper on offer).

Lewis Machine & Tool really knows their stuff with regard to things like that. Plus they'd let it be made locally at Bangalore.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Why OFB cant come with anything original of its own having so much resource and manpower at their disposal.

a copy of SSG 3000
View attachment 35775 View attachment 35776

In this instance I dont care, personally. They made it, trialed it, user trialed it and liked it enough to have the first sniper produced in India. OFB is also uprating it from what I've heard. I really cant complain, atm.

Enquirer

The OFB rifle does seem to draw a lot from SSG 3000. Didn't even make an effort to change the design of the bolt & the ejection port, though they did modify the frame.

However, I really don't mind as long as it works. The actual problem I have with the OFB sniper rifle is the fact that it sits in a wooden frame. These are notorious for warping in tropical/heat conditions. There's a reason why the majority of global manufacturers of precision rifles switched over completely to polymer.

Perhaps that's the reason why the military is steering well clear of this OFB 'innovation'. It's strange considering I actually heard a while ago that it was specifically the military that asked for a wooden frame years ago, which led to the development of this rifle. Likely a misguided requirement? Whatever the reason, it doesn't seem like the Army and/or SFs want anything to do with this rifle anymore - and for good reason.

OFB needs to come out with a polymer frame for this rifle. And secondly, make the whole thing less bulky. If it was me in charge, I'd actually give the receiver, barrel & trigger assembly over to SS-LMT and ask them to come up with an ergonomic polymer frame for it (they actually have a sniper on offer).

Lewis Machine & Tool really knows their stuff with regard to things like that. Plus they'd let it be made locally at Bangalore.
The wooden frame is NOT a problem!

Firstly, the barrels for such sniper rifles are 'floating' - which means that the barrels do not touch the frame.....there's an air gap. So minor warps (if any) do not affect the performance.

Secondly, the warp of wood is in very predictable direction. The wood could be fashioned in a way that it warps AWAY from the barrel.

It's likely that the 'polymer' tech that OFB has is not as advanced as its western counterparts (strong & not brittle), that why they must have chosen an alternative that they're comfortable with.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles